Luis Nani | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe we would be stupid enough to let him go. Watching him out there should remind everyone of his class. Effortless ball control, and speedy wing play with some superb delivery. Him and Ronaldo ripped the Dutch defence apart time and time again.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Nuff said
I don't understand commentators and pundits in general.I mean they're supposed to enlighten us on certain aspects on the game that can go unnoticed and most of the time I feel like the caftards and even me can analyze a certain situation much better than them.
Ronaldo's second is a perfect example, it was all about Ronaldo

Baxter

I'm not saying he wasn't good last season. He's been excellent for us both on the right and left over the last couple of years, but I've always thought he comes into his own when pushed further up the pitch.
I didn't read your post properly. :lol:

I agree, in the first game (0-0) he did much more tracking back and was playing like a right back sometimes. While playing well, he never really got fully into the game. Today he was on the inside right, and this is his best position in my opinion. He's a great passer, crosser and has a great shot on him. I hope we play him on that position in a 4-2-3-1 at some point next season. I think it'd really suit Nani.

Cina

He was great but I was disappointed he didn't out that away. Usually he's very composed in that sort of situation and would just dink the keeper.

It's a shame Portugal don't have a good striker to compliment him and Ronaldo because if they did they'd be right up there to win the thing.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He was very good tonight, but everyone on the pitch was in Ronaldo's shadow really.

Also that fullback Nani was up against has been atrocious defensively all tournament. You can't just let Nani bring the ball down and face you when it's hit from 50 yards away and he's stood less than a metre away from you.

Not that they played Ronaldo any better, to be fair. In fact he seemed to spend the entire game not being picked up at all.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He is ranked as the 5th best player of the tournament so far on whoscored.com.

Flies under the radar for most non United fans and some United fans.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As for that chance he missed, he should have scored it, but it was great save from Stekelenburg tbf.

EB100

Nah, his delivery is that good when he's on top of his game. Full stop.

Doesn't matter which side he's playing on.
He always has to cut in on the left to give his best delivery, and that's different proposition. Its harder, more complicated, it makes him less potent. When he does do it with his left, its just not the same. But, you know what, let's just wait and see how things pan out next season, I'm sure he'll start on the left as long as Valencia's fit.

EB100

Nani's dribbling and ball control, though, is effing majestic wherever he is on the pitch. There's very few players that are as capable as him in those respects. His link-up play and short passing has also improved noticeably this season.

And as for that lob pass to Ronaldo at the beginning of the second half... :drool:

Phil

Would be bloody gutted if we let him go, I'm sure it's all bollocks and we won't though.

Good game today, really should have scored though. It's amazing how you hear people around you saying he's been shit, what is it about him?

EB100

Would be bloody gutted if we let him go, I'm sure it's all bollocks and we won't though.

Good game today, really should have scored though. It's amazing how you hear people around you saying he's been shit, what is it about him?
Your average football fan is an armchair footballer that's only concerned about the euphoria that comes with "their team" winning games and trophies and so Nani's creative style and "under the hood" kind of work isn't something they're going to understand, pay attention to, or value. That's why you'll hear many United fans idolizing Hernandez and finding Nani useless. To be fair, though, the young and inconsistent Nani was incredibly infuriating - some maybe haven't gotten past that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Your average football fan is an armchair footballer that's only concerned about the euphoria that comes with "their team" winning games and trophies and so Nani's creative style and "under the hood" kind of work isn't something they're going to understand, pay attention to, or value. That's why you'll hear many United fans idolizing Hernandez and finding Nani useless. To be fair, though, the young and inconsistent Nani was incredibly infuriating - some maybe haven't gotten past that.
First impressions have quite a big impact on someone's perception of a player, and it takes quite a bit for someone's to change their opinions. Nani at first was incredibly inconsistent, often having one really good game then plenty of poor ones. People who don't watch him regularly still view him like that, and think that this is just good form or something. Same thing with how people judge how a player does over the course of the season, David silva was brilliant for the first half but non existent for the second, yet you still see plenty saying he had a great season.

Anyways, back on topic, it would be disastrous if he were to leave. IMO when fit and on form, he is the best winger in the world, along with ribery (don't count Ronaldo and messi as wingers obviously). He is better than robben for me, and even though Valencia was better this season, nani has shown that he has much more to his game than valencia (and he showed that in 2010/11)

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Was really good tonight. We really need to make him a permanent mainstay in the team, and persist with him despite any frustrations. Young, as decent a first season as he's had, is nowhere near as good at football as Nani.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
IMO, that's ignoring that Kagawa is ready made for the 'Giggs' role in midfield. More so than anyone in the world that we could have possibly signed.
Which "Giggs" role? He's had about 20 in his time here.

Kagawa will not be playing in central midfield.

kelvinkato77

Which "Giggs" role? He's had about 20 in his time here.

Kagawa will not be playing in central midfield.
His 'primary' role in most recent years. He has rarely been deployed as a winger, but a midfielder with a license to roam. For instance, the year he won PFA player of the year. That's the role that I envision Kagawa. Again, IMO.

EB100

First impressions have quite a big impact on someone's perception of a player, and it takes quite a bit for someone's to change their opinions. Nani at first was incredibly inconsistent, often having one really good game then plenty of poor ones. People who don't watch him regularly still view him like that, and think that this is just good form or something. Same thing with how people judge how a player does over the course of the season, David silva was brilliant for the first half but non existent for the second, yet you still see plenty saying he had a great season.

Anyways, back on topic, it would be disastrous if he were to leave. IMO when fit and on form, he is the best winger in the world, along with ribery (don't count Ronaldo and messi as wingers obviously). He is better than robben for me, and even though Valencia was better this season, nani has shown that he has much more to his game than valencia (and he showed that in 2010/11)
I honestly can't see how the hell SAF would let him go; its not going to happen. Unless it is decided we can't afford him and need money from his sale, and I doubt we're in that bad a situation.

bosnian_red

I honestly can't see how the hell SAF would let him go; its not going to happen. Unless it is decided we can't afford him and need money from his sale, and I doubt we're in that bad a situation.
It'd be a huge step back for us, especially considering we took a step in the right direction in getting kagawa. I feel nani will thrive the most out of anybody in our team next season if we change our main formation to a 4-2-3-1. i feel nani in a more advanced role would be an even better player than he already is. He is our most talented player ability wise as well.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
There was one point last night whereby someone basically just smacked it at him when he was on the right wing, only for him to take it down in just a single touch ready for him to beat his man. His first touch is genuinely incredible.

askabob

Shame about the miss but otherwise he's got great vision to set up others.That pass for Ronaldo's second was a thing of beauty in terms of timing and weight.
:rolleyes: the commentators didn't even mention that aspect once
Ian Darke mentioned how great the weight of the pass was, but he's a class commentator in general.

reddevilcanada

Should've scored his chance; I was surprised he tried to go low, just smash it a bit high as the keeper was already diving on the ground.

That said he was great. Ronaldo rose to the occasion as well; unlucky not to get his hattrick with 2 good strikes hitting the post.

bosnian_red

Showed today that when him and Ronaldo are both on form, that they can be so threatening up front. I don't think there is any defence capable of stopping them when they are all on form like that today.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I doubt he's off. Contract will likely get sorted after the Euros when all parties actually sit down to discuss.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
No. I will definitely cry. He is the embodiment of the type of winger I like, who are a dying breed.
They are only a dying breed because hardly anyone plays 4-4-2 anymore. If you look at most like Nani they are now being employed as more wide forwards in the old Best mould. Goalscoring widemen as opposed to traditional touchline wingers.

If we change to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and employ Nani as a wide striker, i think we will start to see Nani kick on again and become one of the world's top players.

Cina

Nani WAS basically in a floating winger role last night though, in fact he's almost been more devastating through the middle (or close to it) with his dribbling and passing than when hugging the touchline, mainly because he was allowed to roam all he wanted and had far less defensive responsibilities than he would for us.

Overall he's been Portugal's best player along with Coentrao across the 3 games, obviously he was overshadowed by Ronaldo last night. If SAF had doubts before I doubt he will now.

That's why I think Kagawa is going to be a great signing, I believe it means Fergie will try and adapt the 'false 9' sort of formation in a way with him, Rooney and Nani all running around across the front, all 3 are capable of great short passes and through balls and it's going to be very exciting to watch.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
They are only a dying breed because hardly anyone plays 4-4-2 anymore......
Ajax in the 90's perfected the art of 4-3-3 with true wingers. So IMO its just a case of people wanting more fancy stuff from their wingers that is killing them. Nani is one of the last few wide men out there who is similar to what Giggs was in his younger days. A true winger with a potential goal threat. Di Maria is the only other who I think is similar.

Messi and Ronaldo started out as that but just morphed into goal hungry psychos:lol:

It's like how the Hunterlaar, Inzaghi breed of striker is dying out. It's the changing times I believe.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Ajax in the 90's perfected the art of 4-3-3 with true wingers. So IMO its just a case of people wanting more fancy stuff from their wingers that is killing them. Nani is one of the last few wide men out there who is similar to what Giggs was in his younger days. A true winger with a potential goal threat. Di Maria is the only other who I think is similar.

Messi and Ronaldo started out as that but just morphed into goal hungry psychos:lol:

It's like how the Hunterlaar, Inzaghi breed of striker is dying out. It's the changing times I believe.
Gomez ;)

Cina

Yeah I'd agree with this, and incidentally I think Nani and Di Maria are the best wingers in Europe, along with maybe Ribery. Well, assuming you-know-who isn't really a winger anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.