Luis Nani | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adebesi

You can't just go around selling your best players, surely it won't happen.
I hope not but look at the situation. Look at our transfer philosophy as it has been summarised. We buy young players (under 26) with resale potential. The last bit of that is key, it suggests we do envisage selling players for the right price. I know some people find talk of the debt tiresome but the fact of it is inescapable.

If someone is offering silly money for Nani I wouldn't be surprised at all if we sold him, replacing him with an 18 year old and sighting Young as more immediate cover.

Obviously I hope that doesn't happen, either that I am wrong or that no suitably silly offer comes in.

Varun

Staff
I hope not but look at the situation. Look at our transfer philosophy as it has been summarised. We buy young players (under 26) with resale potential. The last bit of that is key, it suggests we do envisage selling players for the right price. I know some people find talk of the debt tiresome but the fact of it is inescapable.

If someone is offering silly money for Nani I wouldn't be surprised at all if we sold him, replacing him with an 18 year old and sighting Young as more immediate cover.

Obviously I hope that doesn't happen, either that I am wrong or that no suitably silly offer comes in.
Young isnt even close to being as good as Nani is though. I'd be gutted if he left, have high hopes of him.

As i see it, Silly money i a very subjective term. What would you say would be silly money for Nani?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think we should all just assume this is new contract posturing until we have reason to think otherwise.

No point getting our knickers in a twist just yet.

Adebesi

What I say is beside the point. To be clear I am not advocating this scenario. I am saying what could happen. I am suggesting that I believe Glazer / Gill will look at it this way. So it is what they decide is silly money.

And yes, Nani is way ahead of Young.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
What I say is beside the point. To be clear I am not advocating this scenario. I am saying what could happen. I am suggesting that I believe Glazer / Gill will look at it this way. So it is what they decide is silly money.

And yes, Nani is way ahead of Young.
Do you think Glazer and Gill take precedence over Ferguson in these scenarios?

I think if a player leaves us it's because either he wants to go or the manager wants him gone.

I suspect the day that Fergie has decisions taking out of his hands over transfers will be the day he steps down.

Adebesi

I think if a player leaves us it's because either he wants to go or the manager wants him gone.

I suspect the day that Fergie has decisions taking out of his hands over transfers will be the day he steps down.
Take precedence, no. But I don't think SAF is oblivious to their opinions, or the financial realities. The transfer policy, not buying people over 26. I doubt that is SAF's idea. Why would he place such limitations on himself?

I also doubt the reason the Ronaldo money was never spent was "no value in the market".

Adebesi

You're right tho that Nanis opinion on it will be a massive factor. If he isn't up for going then probably he won't go. Not so sure he would be massively adverse to going tho. He is just a modern footballer, why would he have any particular loyalty?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
And you call yourself a coach. Shame on you.
Nothing wrong in what I said. I rate Nani very highly, but if he can't agree a contract right now, his value will surely plummet in the next summer or so.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Me thinks a front 3 of Nani- Rooney and Welbeck would be:drool: with Kagawa pulling strings behind them.....
I'm dying to see this.

This is a team to be seriously excited about:

-----------------Carrick--------Scholes--------------------

----------------------Kagawa---------------------------
Nani----------------------------------------Welbeck----
--------------------Rooney-----------------------------

That's before we even start talking about the likes of Valencia, Cleverley etc...

Vibhas

I don't see why people are so keen to have Welbeck playing slightly wide (Not as a traditional winger, but a Left Forward). Nani and Valencia and Young for me are better players to have in these positions (Obviously Valencia would have to be RF and Nani/Young LF). Welbeck for me is only better if he plays striker, and maybe 2nd striker (and i'd rather have Nani here, and maybe young.)

He's only 21, and nothing says to me that he can operate to a position halfway between striker and winger (probably closer to being a winger as he'd have to track back etc), compared to Kagawa, Valencia, Nani or Young. Even Young (and Kagawa on the wide possie's).

For me, Welbeck should only mainly be playing when 442, or when Kagawa needs to be rested or regain his form / Rooney rested. He's more of an emergency / chase the game player if he's playing in those weird positions...

Adebesi

I don't see why people are so keen to have Welbeck playing slightly wide (Not as a traditional winger, but a Left Forward). Nani and Valencia and Young for me are better players to have in these positions (Obviously Valencia would have to be RF and Nani/Young LF). Welbeck for me is only better if he plays striker, and maybe 2nd striker (and i'd rather have Nani here, and maybe young.)

He's only 21, and nothing says to me that he can operate to a position halfway between striker and winger (probably closer to being a winger as he'd have to track back etc), compared to Kagawa, Valencia, Nani or Young. Even Young (and Kagawa on the wide possie's).

For me, Welbeck should only mainly be playing when 442, or when Kagawa needs to be rested or regain his form / Rooney rested. He's more of an emergency / chase the game player if he's playing in those weird positions...
I hope not.

All this formation talk is making me slightly nervous about where Welbeck is going to fit in though.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I hope not.

All this formation talk is making me slightly nervous about where Welbeck is going to fit in though.
Don't be. He'll get plenty of games but perhaps won't be as important to the team next season as he was the season just gone.

Fergie knows what a talent he is. He'll get plenty of games. Hernandez however.... I'll be surprised if he starts more than 5 league games next season.

KingEric7

For me, it's just an excuse to try and fit those 3 together in a single line up with Kagawa. As much as I love Valencia, I think it's fair to say that Welbeck has the potential to go on and form something incredible with Kagawa, Nani and Rooney.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We don't have to have all those players in the same lineup. If we go far in the cup competitions, there'll be enough games for everyone to play a part without fecking up their positions.

Varun

Staff
Don't be. He'll get plenty of games but perhaps won't be as important to the team next season as he was the season just gone.

Fergie knows what a talent he is. He'll get plenty of games. Hernandez however.... I'll be surprised if he starts more than 5 league games next season.
What? There'l be plenty of starts for Hernandez too. You can bet we'd go with 2 strikers against the weak teams at home and just play kagawa with Carrick.

I've always maintained that a squad of 3 strikers will never have issues regarding game time at a club like ours. Its the 4th striker who suffers if everyone stays fit.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Seriously :lol: Ever heard of injuries/suspensions/rotation ?

Adebesi

It would make him the new Berbs. Youd have to start to think SAF was turning into a bit of a spiteful git in his old age. Like he isnt happy unless he has a really miserable striker on the bench to laugh at. Maybe this is what he wanted Michael Owen for... but you just dont get the same rush out of it if they are injured anyway.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What? There'l be plenty of starts for Hernandez too. You can bet we'd go with 2 strikers against the weak teams at home and just play kagawa with Carrick.

I've always maintained that a squad of 3 strikers will never have issues regarding game time at a club like ours. Its the 4th striker who suffers if everyone stays fit.
Seriously :lol: Ever heard of injuries/suspensions/rotation ?
Just a hunch I have. Nothing against Cheech either, I just suspect we'll mainly play with 1 striker and on the occasion we go with 2 it'll be Rooney and Welbeck for the majority. Especially in the league.

Rowem

gently, down the stream

Welbeck could be an excellent wing forward. We often see forward in those position rather than orthodox wingers these days. For me Valencia is best suited to a 442. Welbeck has all the tools to play in numerous attacking positions.

Vibhas

Welbeck could be an excellent wing forward. We often see forward in those position rather than orthodox wingers these days. For me Valencia is best suited to a 442. Welbeck has all the tools to play in numerous attacking positions.
For me, it's just an excuse to try and fit those 3 together in a single line up with Kagawa. As much as I love Valencia, I think it's fair to say that Welbeck has the potential to go on and form something incredible with Kagawa, Nani and Rooney.
We don't have to have all those players in the same lineup. If we go far in the cup competitions, there'll be enough games for everyone to play a part without fecking up their positions.
Exactly. Why people are trying to fit people in into positions that will imbalance the team astounds me.

You guys think Evra is shit defensively, so you want a striker 'protecting' him?
We're set up so that the wingers cover the full backs. Even if we likely go to 4231 lots, we'll still need that. I don't see Scholes and Carrick and Kagawa being able to cover defensively anywhere near as much as our 442 if the wingers don't help out (Nani, Scholes, Carrick, Valencia). Our wingers need to defend, that's why Welbeck who may run around a lot and close people down doesn't start much on the wing. Lots of the time our wingers need to be the only man between the oppositions fullback/winger and the box. I.e. If they are beaten they'll have a free ground cross from the touchline. More often than not Young/Nani/Valencia tend to close the man down and not get beaten until someone comes up to help them, but Welbeck isn't suited to this i feel and i certainly don't want to see him having to defend against a winger man to man. He's not trained nor experienced nor defensively sound enough to do so.

Either that'll mean Evra stays back more often as he doesn't have someone like Young/Nani covering him (Which will make it very hard for Welbeck, he isn't exactly the man to try and take on and beat 1-2 defenders positively, or worse, Evra will go forward and we'll have no-one backing him up and we'll be very much liable to the counter attack.

It's a lopsided formation, and I don't think we'll start with it.

You saw how we scored against Le Arse when Arshavin didn't track back? That's what'd happen to us if Welbeck plays. He might track back, and if he does he'll get beaten easily as he's a striker and won't have any where near the defensive discipline and skill to contain players.

He'll be worse offensively from there than our other options (his passing is consistent, but the range at which he passes is limited, also he isn't the man you want trying to beat defenders unless he already is going at pace, which even Rafael and Evra do easily) and as discussed he isn't near as good at covering for a full back. i.e. Worse defensively. He's got enough of these qualities as a striker, but a wide forward requires something different with us, at least. He doesn't have the skill of our other wingers in seeing and threading a pass for a more central player, and doesn't have near the skill they do at being someone. Furthermore, their defence will be much much narrower as he can't really provide width (Can he even cross?) and i feel wouldn't really help Evra at all in what Evra himself is good at (Why carry the ball forward if the guy can't cover for you and bring it central anyways?).

Welbeck is a good striker, albeit one who needs to practice banging them in more, and bringing more vision to his game, and extending his passing game.
He'll develop lots as he's young, but he isn't near top quality YET, and to try and make him versatile when he's still learning his trade in such an important position in which we have so much cover and he doesn't have the tools to do very effectively, is worse than trying Jones out as a CDM, and far worse than at RB, where he's both more suited and we have less depth.

For Nani, perhaps LF IS his BEST position, and he's got the skill to play anywhere attacking, pace to burn, top passer defensively sound, perhaps our best finisher too. Valencia can provide more width on the RW, and also come narrower when the ball is there. He's a great man for the 1-2's and you guys think he's far more limited than he actually is. No, he won't give us a left footed through ball, but I've seen him thread so many passes to Rafael that I think he'll be very good closer to Kagawa too. Also, it's only a few metres to the right and he can drag his full back way over to the touchline. Young is also very suited to the role.

Welbeck? Not there.

People don't understand that having players that were regulars in your team last year, having to compete with and maybe lose their spot, despite improving themsleves, is only good for Manchester United. He's got a decade long more to go in his career, and will only improve massively, even by being on the bench and coming on for 1/2 an hour. Also, a formation change that may suit us more in the current climate, should not be stopped to accommodate a player that's not world class! He wouldn't have expected so much game time last season, and knows that he was very promising as a player last season, but overall looking at his contribution, it wasn't setting the world alight. 1-3 assists, and <10 goals?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
There are loads of ways you can counter for your wing forward not defending as much as a winger like Valencia. You adjust the team accordingly. With Ronaldo, we often had two defensive midfielders covering (Fletcher alongside Carrick) and/or we had a very defensively capable RB (Brown). Alternatively you could have 1 DM and 2 CMs covering the front three, and still allowing the full backs to attack (the traditional 433 in my eyes).

Obviously, if we were to play 433 with Welbeck and Nani flanking Rooney with support from Kagawa then we will adjust accordingly. It's doubtful we would line up with those front four with Scholes and Carrick behind and two attacking full backs unless we are against a very poor team and we're on the attack.

Many excellent forwards have excelled in wide forward positions and clubs prosper from it. Obviously it affects the whole team. Nobody is suggesting simply put Welbeck out wide instead of Valencia and carry on as we were before.

We need to be flexible, and we need to have options. Especially in Europe. England at the Euros demonstrated how a static 442 is out of date with the modern game, and our performances in Europe have suffered since we abandoned the 451/433 approach for big games and reverted to 442.

sajeev

Exactly. Why people are trying to fit people in into positions that will imbalance the team astounds me.

You guys think Evra is shit defensively, so you want a striker 'protecting' him?
We're set up so that the wingers cover the full backs. Even if we likely go to 4231 lots, we'll still need that. I don't see Scholes and Carrick and Kagawa being able to cover defensively anywhere near as much as our 442 if the wingers don't help out (Nani, Scholes, Carrick, Valencia). Our wingers need to defend, that's why Welbeck who may run around a lot and close people down doesn't start much on the wing. Lots of the time our wingers need to be the only man between the oppositions fullback/winger and the box. I.e. If they are beaten they'll have a free ground cross from the touchline. More often than not Young/Nani/Valencia tend to close the man down and not get beaten until someone comes up to help them, but Welbeck isn't suited to this i feel and i certainly don't want to see him having to defend against a winger man to man. He's not trained nor experienced nor defensively sound enough to do so.

Either that'll mean Evra stays back more often as he doesn't have someone like Young/Nani covering him (Which will make it very hard for Welbeck, he isn't exactly the man to try and take on and beat 1-2 defenders positively, or worse, Evra will go forward and we'll have no-one backing him up and we'll be very much liable to the counter attack.

It's a lopsided formation, and I don't think we'll start with it.

You saw how we scored against Le Arse when Arshavin didn't track back? That's what'd happen to us if Welbeck plays. He might track back, and if he does he'll get beaten easily as he's a striker and won't have any where near the defensive discipline and skill to contain players.

He'll be worse offensively from there than our other options (his passing is consistent, but the range at which he passes is limited, also he isn't the man you want trying to beat defenders unless he already is going at pace, which even Rafael and Evra do easily) and as discussed he isn't near as good at covering for a full back. i.e. Worse defensively. He's got enough of these qualities as a striker, but a wide forward requires something different with us, at least. He doesn't have the skill of our other wingers in seeing and threading a pass for a more central player, and doesn't have near the skill they do at being someone. Furthermore, their defence will be much much narrower as he can't really provide width (Can he even cross?) and i feel wouldn't really help Evra at all in what Evra himself is good at (Why carry the ball forward if the guy can't cover for you and bring it central anyways?).

Welbeck is a good striker, albeit one who needs to practice banging them in more, and bringing more vision to his game, and extending his passing game.
He'll develop lots as he's young, but he isn't near top quality YET, and to try and make him versatile when he's still learning his trade in such an important position in which we have so much cover and he doesn't have the tools to do very effectively, is worse than trying Jones out as a CDM, and far worse than at RB, where he's both more suited and we have less depth.

For Nani, perhaps LF IS his BEST position, and he's got the skill to play anywhere attacking, pace to burn, top passer defensively sound, perhaps our best finisher too. Valencia can provide more width on the RW, and also come narrower when the ball is there. He's a great man for the 1-2's and you guys think he's far more limited than he actually is. No, he won't give us a left footed through ball, but I've seen him thread so many passes to Rafael that I think he'll be very good closer to Kagawa too. Also, it's only a few metres to the right and he can drag his full back way over to the touchline. Young is also very suited to the role.

Welbeck? Not there.

People don't understand that having players that were regulars in your team last year, having to compete with and maybe lose their spot, despite improving themsleves, is only good for Manchester United. He's got a decade long more to go in his career, and will only improve massively, even by being on the bench and coming on for 1/2 an hour. Also, a formation change that may suit us more in the current climate, should not be stopped to accommodate a player that's not world class! He wouldn't have expected so much game time last season, and knows that he was very promising as a player last season, but overall looking at his contribution, it wasn't setting the world alight. 1-3 assists, and <10 goals?
so much noise, no light :(

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
so much noise, no light :(
:lol:

I kind of see his point, but I think a wide forward in a 4-3-3 would have less defensive responsibility than a winger in a 4-4-2 formation. It is something to think about....

I just don't see why Kagawa, Rooney, Welbeck, Nani and Valencia have to be shoehorned into one team. Having so many talented players gives us so many options to start, and bring off the bench if we need a change. Welbeck has a lot to improve on, but he was very good last season linking up with Rooney.

KingEric7

I think at some point we should probably go about establishing a first XI that we know with absolute certainty is our best. In the coming years, that is one that is perhaps likely to have Kagawa, Welbeck, Rooney and Nani in it.

It's just conjecture at this point either way, so there's no harm done. The very best United teams, though - certainly from when I was born - have been those that have had an XI that has started week in, week out, or whereby it's at least been clear what the strongest one was. Last year, we didn't have that. No-one had a clue what our strongest starting XI was, mainly due to injuries.

Like I say though, it's harmless speculation. I think however you look it it's very clear what those players could offer in the same team. Something that perhaps Valencia may not offer quite as much in the next few years. Not saying Valencia is not capable of playing great football - he really is - but Welbeck seems to me like he's going to be on another level at some point.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In 07/08 we had Giggs and Nani rotating, and Scholes, Anderson and Hargreaves rotating. Very rarely did we have the same team two games in a row.

Cina

Yeah but in 07/08 we did have that other Portugese lad playing every single game.

Vibhas

Yeah but in 07/08 we did have that other Portugese lad playing every single game.
Now we have 'Shrek' week in week out, and he's different class as well.

Nani should have no problem starting the majority of the games next season, injuries permitting. Young has nothing on him despite being a very good winger himself.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Now we've got Kagawa. :D

We've always rotated our attacking lineup frequently and we'll continue to do so, so I don't see the whole Welbeck/Kagawa/Valencia issue. If we wanted a settled lineup we wouldn't have brought another attacker into the mix because Nani-Valencia-Rooney-Welbeck picked itself, but we obviously wanted more options and more capacity for rotation.

What we need and what we didn't have last year was a settled back four, not a settled front four.

Cina

Yeah I know, but the 07/08 squad was very different from this one, that's all.

I agree though, I don't see the worries people have with our attackers getting game time. If Fergie wants them to then they always will.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Now we have 'Shrek' week in week out, and he's different class as well.

Nani should have no problem starting the majority of the games next season, injuries permitting. Young has nothing on him despite being a very good winger himself.
Even when he's fit sir Alex seems to not trust him for some reason because he has been dropped many times over the years, instead of persisting with them to find form like he has with Ronaldo or Rooney, he drops nani on the bench. Nani for me is one of those players who should be a starter almost every game, as long as he's fit. On form he's our best winger, yet certain times he gets dropped for big games simply to be more defensive.

Like other people were saying, a switch to 4-2-3-1 makes the two wingers have much less defensive responsability and pushes them further up the field, at least that's how it's supposed to be. Sir Alex isn't the best manager at utilizing this formation to be honest, because he tries to keep the winger play deeper like in a 4-4-2 and provide defensive cover, and he wants the fullbacks to play the same. That is why we often look so out of ideas and defensive when we use that formation. We resort to doing long balls to Rooney and our wingers are too deep to help out, and our attacking midfielder (usually giggs) is way out of position because they don't actually know how to play that position properly. Kagawa will help that a lot, and it should help players like nani as well.

Also, I agree with people saying we need a team tha we know is our strongest 11, or at least most of it. The way SAF sees it, currently people who will always start are: de gea, rio, vidic, evra, carrick, Rooney

Even Valencia when he gets off form he gets dropped, as does nani. Our wingers you never know which two will play, and we have no idea who will be rooneys striker partner, or carricks midfield partner for this season. Same with right back, sir Alex seems to have nobody in mind when he thinks of who his best right back is, one moment Rafael gets a few games and then after one poor performance he is dropped for jones, or Smalling. I really think we need at least 8 out of the 11 positions nailed down with starters, and rotate the other 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.