Luis Nani | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

twitter thread suggester
Excellent answers all around. I've always found it funny how people called him unlikeable and arrogant, when he's everything but. Also ridiculous to still be asking him about diving, when he goes down far less than most wingers or players of his style.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
he seems like a nice chap
He really does. He did a joint interview with Carrick and Young for Betfair (still up on that link, starts around the 5m mark) and he gave some good answers.

Thanks for the link Raoul, and I agree with you Top. Even though it could be argued he used to dive a fair bit he doesn't really any more yet he still gets labeled a diver.

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
Excellent answers all around. I've always found it funny how people called him unlikeable and arrogant, when he's everything but. Also ridiculous to still be asking him about diving, when he goes down far less than most wingers or players of his style.
that was more to do with his on pitch persona, although he's a million times better now after cutting out a lot of the tantrums and diving stuff.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Unlucky today, overall a great performance. His final ball was much better in the second half and should have had three assists had the finishing been on point. Hopefully his injury isn't serious.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Unlucky today, overall a great performance. His final ball was much better in the second half and should have had three assists had the finishing been on point. Hopefully his injury isn't serious.
Agree on all counts. A little wasteful in the first but some great delivery in the second. And his overall play was brilliant. Did something positive almost every time he had a chance to have a go at their right back. What I like about Nani is that sometimes it's actually irrelevant who he is up against. His natural ability is such.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Definitely, his dribbling and attacking play was in general excellent, made so much easier by the passing coming out to him from Carrick and Giggs, as well as Evra's support and decision to piss all over Arsenal's defence repeatedly. He was wasteful in the first half - maybe one decent cross - but his general attacking play was the best on the pitch and ran their right side ragged.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
His link-up play is underrated when he doesn't produce, key player for us, he doesn't get as much leeway as other players probably because of the memories of his worse moments at the club. Hope he's ok, played a lot for us this year.

Varun

Staff
Yep. Absolutely owned djourou tonight. Fantastic to watch. Hopefully not a serious injury, him and valencia look great atm.

Godfather

Any news on why he went off? Hopefully nothing serious. Looked the shit in the second half. His delivery was better than in the first half as well.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Hmmm... Been quite a while since he last created or scored a goal. Fulham game would be the most recent, right?
He should have had three assists today from the second half had the finishing been better and he almost scored in the first half. I don't think it's a concern.

Godfather

He should have had three assists today had the finishing been better and almost scored in the first half. I don't think it's a cpncern.
Especially Valencia should have done better when Nani played him the ball into the box. Fergies reaction was class though.

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
He owned the left today. Unfortunately, his balls into the box weren't getting there.
tbh thats his only real flaw,more often than not he finds it so easy to beat people only to be let down by his final pass,one day i hope it all clicks for the lad as the hard work he's put in in his overall game and in his attitude deserves big results.

I'm always right

tbh thats his only real flaw,more often than not he finds it so easy to beat people only to be let down by his final pass,one day i hope it all clicks for the lad as the hard work he's put in in his overall game and in his attitude deserves big results.
Not at all true.

Varun

Staff
Especially Valencia should have done better when Nani played him the ball into the box. Fergies reaction was class though.
:lol:

couldnt stop laughing at that for a whole minute. was quite incredible the way Sir Alex reacted.

Varun

Staff
How stink it must be for Djourou that an 18 yo has to make his debut against Nani to save his ass.
Considering he's actually a CB, it was pretty poor to say the least. looked absolutely incapable of stopping nani..

Fletcher's Jilted Lover

He's the man!
He really dominated his side today, much more so than Valencia on the right. Unlucky that his involvement didnt result in goals or assists.
his final ball was shocking today, he should've had us a few goals up before half time if he had his brain in gear. Djourou had no clue hence carrick could get the back to nani so many times, first time giggs got on the left wing and got a decent ball in, we scored

wish he'd hurry up and get back to form

Hectic

Supports
30fps
If this is out of form, we are very fortunate.

Varun

Staff
his final ball was shocking today, he should've had us a few goals up before half time if he had his brain in gear. Djourou had no clue hence carrick could get the back to nani so many times, first time giggs got on the left wing and got a decent ball in, we scored

wish he'd hurry up and get back to form
You think he was off form tonight? :confused:

Kelvin

I hope his injury is nothing serious, with young still out, we need him fit.

Devilton

We really need Nani against Liverpool...he was excellent today even though it took him 15-20 minutes to really impose himself against Djoure and that younger fella in the second half.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I've always wondered why I haven't really warmed to Nani the same way I have to most of our players and I've decided it's because he's the one winger in the club that stands out from the rest in one area - fannying around. Of all the wingers we've had in my lifetime I think he does it to a significant degree more than the rest. Beckham, Kanchelskis, Giggs, Ronaldo, Valencia and Sharpe; they're the only players to establish themselves in the first team out wide during my lifetime, and they were all extremely direct. Sure, Beckham liked fannying about on the halfway line, Giggs would piss about with the ball out wide picking out the wrong ball over and over again and Ronaldo would love his fancy tricks, but they were all single-minded and direct.

Nani beats one man and then another, leaves one on his arse with a fantastic show of balance and then gets to the byline and does the same thing again, on the same player...and even if it is the right choice in the end, it still irritates me in the process of it. Not that I'm trying to justify me not warming to him, and I might well be talking out of my arse there because you could make an argument for every one of them fannying about in some way, because that's what wingers do, and Nani does go straight for the kill plenty. It's just the only explanation I could come up with. Maybe there are just lingering feelings of frustration from when he was at his low point in his career with us, but it seems a bit farfetched given what he's gone on to do for us since then that I'd still hold some sort of grudge. I just warmed to Valencia much easier than I did to Nani and I think it's because he was more like what I was used to.

It just seems a bit ridiculous though when I think about the player that he is, with all of the qualities that he possesses and regularly puts on show, that I don't absolutely love the bloke. He's probably the second most gifted player we've had under Sir Alex in terms of his ability to beat a man, it's remarkable how easily he can cut through a defence these days. He's technically excellent by any standard, with a fantastic first touch, wonderful close control and an excellent shot and cross. He's absolutely rapid with the strength to match, and he works his bollocks off. It just makes no sense why he isn't my favourite player in the squad, really...he just isn't.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I've always wondered why I haven't really warmed to Nani the same way I have to most of our players and I've decided it's because he's the one winger in the club that stands out from the rest in one area - fannying around. Of all the wingers we've had in my lifetime I think he does it to a significant degree more than the rest. Beckham, Kanchelskis, Giggs, Ronaldo, Valencia and Sharpe; they're the only players to establish themselves in the first team out wide during my lifetime, and they were all extremely direct. Sure, Beckham liked fannying about on the halfway line, Giggs would piss about with the ball out wide picking out the wrong ball over and over again and Ronaldo would love his fancy tricks, but they were all single-minded and direct.

Nani beats one man and then another, leaves one on his arse with a fantastic show of balance and then gets to the byline and does the same thing again, on the same player...and even if it is the right choice in the end, it still irritates me in the process of it. Not that I'm trying to justify me not warming to him, and I might well be talking out of my arse there because you could make an argument for every one of them fannying about in some way, because that's what wingers do, and Nani does go straight for the kill plenty. It's just the only explanation I could come up with. Maybe there are just lingering feelings of frustration from when he was at his low point in his career with us, but it seems a bit farfetched given what he's gone on to do for us since then that I'd still hold some sort of grudge. I just warmed to Valencia much easier than I did to Nani and I think it's because he was more like what I was used to.

It just seems a bit ridiculous though when I think about the player that he is, with all of the qualities that he possesses and regularly puts on show, that I don't absolutely love the bloke. He's probably the second most gifted player we've had under Sir Alex in terms of his ability to beat a man, it's remarkable how easily he can cut through a defence these days. He's technically excellent by any standard, with a fantastic first touch, wonderful close control and an excellent shot and cross. He's absolutely rapid with the strength to match, and he works his bollocks off. It just makes no sense why he isn't my favourite player in the squad, really...he just isn't.
Maybe you're frustrated because you feel with his vast range of ability he could emulate that other Portuguese fella we had.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Nani's biggest problem is Valencia, when Valencia is in form he plays right wing end off. Obviously when Valencia is doing the business on the pitch then that's the main thing any of us should be worried about but it's still frustrating that Nani isn't being played in his best position.

I was hoping this would be the season where Nani cemented the right wing birth but injuries and lack of form from Young has made Fergie's decision to play Nani on the left very easy (even more so when you add Valencia's current form into the mix)

Nani like any other player shouldn't be judged negatively on performances when played out of position

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Absolutely owned Djourou yesterday. Could have made some better choices with his end product, but so too could Welbeck & Rooney etc.

He must just add permanent consistency to his game and were looking at a top 5 player in the world!

Interval

Level
I thought he was great. Left Djorou looking so incompetent, it was unbelievable. I think he is one of, if not the best, players in our team.

Adebesi

Yes there is something in that.

Yesterday was a good example. The ease with which he was getting in behind... Yet he didn't create that many actual opportunities. He should have. In terms of his ability and the circumstances he should have been more productive. As it was he amply demonstrated his superiority without translating that into anything much.

And then you have Valencia. More limited, marked by the better defender, and yet he scores one and assists the other.

Cina

Yes there is something in that.

Yesterday was a good example. The ease with which he was getting in behind... Yet he didn't create that many actual opportunities. He should have. In terms of his ability and the circumstances he should have been more productive. As it was he amply demonstrated his superiority without translating that into anything much.

And then you have Valencia. More limited, marked by the better defender, and yet he scores one and assists the other.
Well that's wrong. He nearly scored bar a fine save, got clean through for another poor shot, set up Welbeck twice I think, set up Valencia's horror shot (I think), played a magic through ball to Evra who was clean through. He created more chances than Valencia did yesterday, his just weren't converted, and he arguably should've scored himself but his finishing wasn't at its best.

You can't dismiss his performance because it didn't involve an assist or goal (which we're very used to normally). He was definitely our best player in the first half, not as good in the 2nd and then he got the injury.

Brwned, fair play, it takes balls to make a statement like that, and from previous comments in this thread, other people on this board clearly feel the same way about him as you do (simon being the prime example) but they won't admit to it and just give him completely unjustified critiscism on his performances. I for one feel the opposite, he IS my favourite player, I've loved him since day one and always (at times I thought hopelessly) expected him to turn into a great player.

I think along with Rooney he's our best, comfortably. Well, Vidic too I guess, in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.