Lukaku or current/last seasons Zlatan - who is the better player?

Who is the better player? Lukaku or current/last season's Zlatan?

• Lukaku but Zlatan suits our style of play better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Personally think there is no doubt in Lukaku being the better player. He is 24, entering his prime while Zlatan will be 36 soon. As it stands he is fitter, sharper and an all round better player than Ibrahimovic.

Again, this isn't about them in their peaks. Highly doubt Lukaku will be able to replicate the very impressive standards of Zlatan at his age either.

EDIT: Could a mod please add a poll?

Last edited:

santeria13

Sublemon
I think both have their own unique skill set, and I'd argue overall Zlatan is the better player, but Lukaku is the man we need right now. In terms of being a pure striker, he is much more dynamic and ruthless than current zlatan and imo is the type of striker this team needed. Zlatan, as good as he is; was very wasteful last season and I can remember many times he dropped back into midfield, leaving no one upfront to occupy the CB's. Lukaku generally stays in the right place and in terms of pure finishing, he is superior, added to that his pace, strength, raw youth and hunger, he is the clear winner for me.

We should really consider ourselves lucky if we end up having those two as our options up front.

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Bit premature, no? Lukaku's one game vs an entire season of Ibra?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I absolutely loved Zlatan but Lukaku is better suited for us right now as he's quicker and more lethal up front.

Andersons Dietician

It's not really who is technically better because Zlatan I think in technique is a better player. However for us a player like Lukaku would be better for us than a player like Zlatan. It's their importance And impact on the team and Lukaku I feel is easily going to win that duel.

Lentwood

Lukaku. I was never in the anti-Zlatan brigade last year because I recognised that he was doing a decent job, especially at 35yo and in his first PL season

That being said, I also recognised that he was only a short-term solution and had many limitations. Lukaku, Kane, Aguero, Costa etc....would all have got between 25-30 in our side last season

NotworkSte

Reality is, we're talking about potential here since he has played 1 competitive game.
Lukaku. Zlatan is a generational player, right in that top bracket of skill, panache, technique, power. However we saw last year that what he brought wasn't. Because what we needed was someone who can covert more chances, and for me Lukaku fits that bill like no one we have had since RVN (argument could be made RVP did exactly that though). Any team with Zlatan will do well. But what we need is Lukaku, and to be honest, I am still stunned we have him. Funnily enough, Chelsea missing out on him would be the biggest talking point of the season if it weren't for them also selling Matic to us. Incredible...

AR87

Lukaku. I was never in the anti-Zlatan brigade last year because I recognised that he was doing a decent job, especially at 35yo and in his first PL season

That being said, I also recognised that he was only a short-term solution and had many limitations. Lukaku, Kane, Aguero, Costa etc....would all have got between 25-30 in our side last season
Beyond Lukaku's individual contributions I think his physical attributes and style of play blend much better with the talents of our other attackers in that he'll stretch defenses and make forward runs which is something we need to get more out of creative players like Pogba, Mkhi and Mata.

We needed Ibra last year as I don't believe going into the season with Rashford, Rooney and Martial as our options at striker would have been wise, but the fit was less than ideal. I still feel that the lack of cutting edge from our other attacking players was a bigger hindrance in our league campaign, but, and I know it's early, the pieces seem to fit more cleanly with Lukaku at striker rather than Ibra who's preference was to check back to the ball and get involved in build up play.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I still think that Ibra, even at 35, was the better footballer. But for a team like united who struggle to break down teams that sit deep and are well organised Lukaku's pace is a better fit.

Carolina Red

Staff
Lukaku

Zlatan has a lot that he can teach Lukaku skill wise, but overall, Lukaku is in his physical prime and that will make up for the skill that he needs to add.

Dante

Average bang
Lukaku is better on the pitch. But Ibrahimovic is cooler and has a bigger reputation, so it has to be him.

shamans

Bit premature, no? Lukaku's one game vs an entire season of Ibra?
Well as a player Lukaku is no surprise. Those of us that wanted him hear knew what impact he would have based on his performances for Everton. Of course he's not going to have games like he did every week but you can still compare the two as players.

Red_toad

I still think that Ibra, even at 35, was the better footballer. But for a team like united who struggle to break down teams that sit deep and are well organised Lukaku's pace is a better fit.
That's a contradiction, if a team sits deep, then there's not room to run into, this nullifying pace.

Back to thread, Ibra better player, Lukaku will be more effective and improve the team more.

edcunited1878

I feel comparisons such as this underappreciate and undervalue Zlatan. Why go off of one season? Zlatan's conversion rate was poor last year but also played in a weaker side with no continuity. He never played in England in his prime and Lukaku never played and won in the countries where Zlatan played.

Lukaku is the better fit because of his natural pace and ability to stretch teams and obviously because he's younger. So I would agree with Lukaku being the better player for this team, now.

But Zlatan is the better footballer between the two.

ike

I chose Morata.
Ooops wrong thread sorry!

Zlatan :D

M4YON

Difficult question to answer as Lukaku hasn't finished a season withnus yet where as Zlatan has. A comparison could be made at the end of the season but I wouldn't like to as both posses very different skill sets.

One thing is for sure if we can get Zlatan on a short term contract when he's fit from January it will give is the best strike force in the league, second to none.

Lentwood

One thing is for sure if we can get Zlatan on a short term contract when he's fit from January it will give is the best strike force in the league, second to none.
Aguero and Jesus might have something to say about that! Lacazette/Giroud and Costa/Morata also very strong although both of those teams will only play one and Costa wants out!

Inter Yer Nan

Zlatan perhaps the better player, Lukaku the better fit for us without question. Zlatan dropped a lot deeper, held play up and slowed things down a little bit too much for what other players we have and what we are trying to do.

el3mel

Lukaku looks like a better fit for the normal 4-2-3-1 Jose loves to play with as there's no need for the striker to drop deep in this formation due to presence of a number 10 behind him already.

hobbers

Lukaku.

His pace and power are far better, and his finishing is better than Zlatan's currently.

Zlatan has an x factor and will score more wondergoals, but I genuinely think Lukaku would have outscored him last season giving all the chances that were created for him.

Manny

Grammar Police
Lukaku

Lukaku might not be as easy on the eye as Zlatan but he is clinical, faster, sharper and will actually attack crosses.

And last season, Lukaku had a 23% chance conversion rate for Everton compared to Zlatan's 15%. Kane had 26% and Sanchez had 19%.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Well as a player Lukaku is no surprise. Those of us that wanted him hear knew what impact he would have based on his performances for Everton. Of course he's not going to have games like he did every week but you can still compare the two as players.
No, you really didn't. Nobody really knows how a signing will work out, not even Mourinho. It's just hope and calculated risk. And, we're comparing a player who made his debut with someone who played a full season, which seems ridiculously premature to me. It's like saying someone you've just met is as good a friend as one of your best mates.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Everyone will obviously say lukaku after that game against West Ham.
Zatan was over the hill and Lukaku might well be better, but it's too early.

remember the finally a worthy 7 thread after Memphis' debut..

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He has a long way to go yet to do better than Zlatan last year, although the early signs are promising.

What Lukaku will not do is provide the same quality of hold-up play as Zlatan. His technique is not up there with the Swede's. I don't expect him to pull goals out of nothing like Zlatan did at times last year either. But what he does give us is more of an outlet. We've already seen it in the first match. Lukaku's ability to run the channels gives us an important out ball and allows us to push the team forward from a defensive position. With Zlatan the ball needed to be played into him, which means that the wingers need to get up and support him quickly or we'll end up losing possession and coming under pressure again. Lukaku can run in behind the defence and all of a sudden we can find ourselves in a more offensive position away from our own half.

Same goes with Matic. His ability to win the ball and carry it forward pushes us further up the pitch.

shamans

No, you really didn't. Nobody really knows how a signing will work out, not even Mourinho. It's just hope and calculated risk. And, we're comparing a player who made his debut with someone who played a full season, which seems ridiculously premature to me. It's like saying someone you've just met is as good a friend as one of your best mates.
Yes I did and you can check my posts in the Lukaku thread? It's not just me. A lot of us knew how good he would be (while a fair few moaned about his first touch and lack of finishing). Lukaku isn't something new or a fresh package. He's been on the scene for half a decade now. He has had many top class showings against big teams before this. You're talking like he is only to be judged from that one game he had this weekend.

DarkXaero

Zlatan is the better player but Lukaku might be a better fit for us since he is more focused on scoring goals, while Zlatan dropped deep quite a lot. It is early to tell tho, Lukaku is off to a very good start but it has only been one game. Zlatan scored in his debut last year too, and this forum was really high on him at that point. It doesn't matter though, I expect us to re-sign Zlatan and then play both of them, probably in a 3-5-2.

Dobbs

Can't say after one game. Hope Lukaku does have a cracking season.
How can anyone answer this at this point? I hope the answer is Lukaku and that the evidence will be more goals from the whole team this season. But it's only hope at this stage.
Way, way, too early.
Guys who is the better player, Matic or Carrick?

The question the OP asks is very answerable. Lukaku hasn't just appeared in football.

binary bot
I think we would have had more points with Lukaku last season.

25 goals with just 1 penalty for Everton is impressive

Dobbs

I'm working on the assumption that Lukaku could / will up his game at United. Just as Yorke was far better for us than he ever was for Villa.
Sure I hope so too but the question is who is better right now.

I'm guessing when Pogba joined you knew after one game he was better than Schweinsteiger.