Lukaku or current/last seasons Zlatan - who is the better player?

Who is the better player? Lukaku or current/last season's Zlatan?

• Lukaku but Zlatan suits our style of play better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
I love Zlatan. But at present, Lukaku is what United needs. Much younger, strong (Zlatan style) and efficient.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Pace in the number 9 position is a huge advantage. We dont get that with Zlatan so we then had to score via more intricate methods.

Take the winning goal in the league cup final.
Zlatan gets the ball around 15m in his own half. He carries the ball up the pitch but hasn't the legs to stretch the Southampton defense. So instead of using classic counter attacking football(eg our first goal on Sunday when Rashers got the ball) he bring others into play and then we have to work much harder to create the chance that if he had the speed of Lukaku. Sure it was a great goal but a lot of the time we didn't have the option of going for the counter attacking goal when we got the ball to Ibrahimovic.

I suppose the reverse side of it is whether Lukaku can provide moments of magic like Ibra did out of the blue.

Also for all the great admiration I have for Ibra at times his finishing and hold up play were disappointing last season.

ricky-romeo

Lukaku is the type of a striker that we need right now. quick, big, strong and a great finisher.

Zlatan is Zlatan. a world class striker for over a decade now and is still one at 35.

but maybe just maybe having Lukaku in the side will bring out the best of the likes of rashford, martial , mkhi or even mata because lukaku probably offers more movement and pace than zlatan. like @thegregster mentioned above however, can Lukaku provide big moments in big matches is remain to be seen.

Bestietom

I would sooner have Zlatan with me than against me.<p> It would have to be Zlatan for me,but Lukaku is a proven goalscorer too, and I hope he can do it for us this season, scoring 25+ goals in Premiership alone.<p> Zlatan has that extra skill, where he can score from any angle and distance.

M4YON

It's a dangerous game just 'believing' that you have the best players in every position and ignoring the evidence otherwise! Worth heading over to RAWK if you want an example of how that regularly leads to anger, frustration and despair!

Lukaku and Zlatan are good players. So are Aguero and Jesus. So are Costa and Morata. So are Kane and Son. So are Lacazette and Giroud. Need to be objective!
I am objective both Lukaku and Zlatan scored more than Jesus, Giroud, batshuayi and Son (wide player not a striker btw).

Its not Morata and Costa its Morata and Batshuayi. Diego Costa will not go back there and both I rate over Morata anyway.

Lacazette and Giroud... Neither are better than Lukaku or Zlatan I cant believe you included them.

Kane is on par with Lukaku as a striker and Kane doesn't have a strike partner Spurs got rid of Janssen, Son plays as a winger.

Aguero and Jesus are close both good players but unless Aguero kicks his injury spree he has no chance of competing for the Golden boot and being the top player he has previously.

So I have been objective I have thought about my post and I stand by it. A fully fit Zlatan and Lukaku make the best strike force in the league.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wanted lukaku, i think that he is one of the best no9 in the world, he suits our squad perfectly but come on, zlatan is zlatan. Except pace there is no contest here.

Edit: but for this squad and our way of play, lukaku suits better

shaky

No contest. Zlatan scored a goal every 1.64 league games. Lukaku has scored 2 goals per game. Even Pogba and Martial have better strike rates so far this season. Welbeck is obviously also better than Sanchez.

dellboyy

Technically and physically, there's not many that can touch Zlatan, especailly given his age... Lukaku will probably be nowhere near him when he's the same age.

But right now, Lukaku is more mobile, more effective, and seems deadlier in front of goal... Zlatan did miss a lot of chances last season.

Lukaku won't ever be capable of matching some of the more brilliant Zlatan goals. But overall i think he'll score and create more.

Lentwood

I am objective both Lukaku and Zlatan scored more than Jesus, Giroud, batshuayi and Son (wide player not a striker btw).

Its not Morata and Costa its Morata and Batshuayi. Diego Costa will not go back there and both I rate over Morata anyway.

Lacazette and Giroud... Neither are better than Lukaku or Zlatan I cant believe you included them.

Kane is on par with Lukaku as a striker and Kane doesn't have a strike partner Spurs got rid of Janssen, Son plays as a winger.

Aguero and Jesus are close both good players but unless Aguero kicks his injury spree he has no chance of competing for the Golden boot and being the top player he has previously.

So I have been objective I have thought about my post and I stand by it. A fully fit Zlatan and Lukaku make the best strike force in the league.
Hmmm....I think it's fair to use two strikers Chelsea actually have, even if one is want-away, if we are going to use one that isn't actually even our player yet!

My point is that each of these teams will believe that they have the best strike force. I bet the same conversation is happening on BlueMoon, the same conversation is definitely happening on RAWK, the Shed End will be talking up their strike force and I am surprised GlastonSpur hasn't already popped up to tell you that Kane will score more goals than our team combined. Lacazette looked very sharp and the much-maligned Giroud has a very useful knack of scoring loads of goals!

I am not saying that you are wrong. You may well be right, but let's be careful not to get carried away. There are some very good forwards in this league. Lukaku is one of them. Zlatan at 36yo coming of the back of a very serious injury....who knows?

Pass and Move

This is an interesting discussion, which more than anything exposes our struggle to quantify ability, or how good/talented a player is objectively. I think for example that Pogba is a comfortably more talented footballer than Modric, however you could argue Modric is the more effective midfielder, and therefore better.

I believe Zlatan is more skilful than Lukaku, and that encourages us to make statements such as he's 'better than Lukaku, but Lukaku is more what we need right now'.

With semantics out of the way... Lukaku is better than Zlatan. He's there to facilitate the scoring of goals through scoring himself and contributing through his presence in the final third. He'll be more effective doing this than Zlatan IMO.

Dobbs

Yeah, and I answered that too. Btw, it's the best goal I have ever seen too. :)
You really think Lukaku isn't at the level of last seasons Zlatan? Because that's the question. Remember he easily outscored Zlatan in the league.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
@shamans was this the vast majority disagreeing with me you were hoping for?
It's not as close as I thought but there are quite a few in this thread that are not answering the questions correctly. Evident from comments like "it's been just one game" and "too early to tell". I was hoping to compare the two players not their impact for us.

Then we also have some people posting about Zlatan's heroics when he was younger. I want to compare the 35 year old Zlatan with current Lukaku.

shamans

You can't really ask the question after one game. If Lukaku produces what Zlatan did last year then you can credibly ask for a comparison.
Again, I am comparing the players. There is a whole season of Lukaku playing for Everton while Zlatan was ours last year.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Again, I am comparing the players. There is a whole season of Lukaku playing for Everton while Zlatan was ours last year.
What's the point in comparing them when they were at different clubs ? Should we also compare Lukaku of last year to Ibra in his final year at PSG ?

Robertd0803

Im picking Lukaku and Lukaku alone simply because he plays for us, Zlatan currently doesn't.

Otherwise it would have been the 4th option.

shamans

What's the point in comparing them when they were at different clubs ? Should we also compare Lukaku of last year to Ibra in his final year at PSG ?
People compare Messi and Ronaldo along with other players at different clubs all the time. I don't understand why it's so surprising.

saturday_fever

I think both seasons are different and thus the players required are different.
Lukaku this season is better for Man United because Jose has gotten used to the club and he has won a trophy (EL). The confidence of the players has also dramatically improved as compared to last year. A year back Man United needed an experience, arrogant and confident player to uplift the whole club, thus Zlatan was an excellent choice. But this year we don't really require those qualities in the players we bring in. Jose and Pogba seem to do that just fine.

If we had brought Lukaku last year, the pressure on him would have been tremendous and he wouldn't necessarily have lifted the mood of the players or the supporters. And if we sign Zlatan this year, he would be a brilliant player but to play in specific games only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carolina Red

Manny

Grammar Police
Eh? Whats the point of comparing two PL football players on a football forum?!

Brightonian

It's not about 'better'. It's just about how they get on at doing the thing this team really needs from its striker: reliable chance conversion.

You wouldn't have bet on Zlatan of all people being profligate, but he was. Possibly given another season he'd be completely lethal and score 40 - these things just happen for strikers sometimes. He obviously brought lots of other qualities, some of which we won't find in Lukaku. But ultimately it was putting the goals away which was needed.

We just have to hope Lukaku has a clinical season. So far so good!

shamans

We know its a football forum. That doesn't mean every comparison deserves a poll.
Two top class strikers who have been leading the line for their team for years. One of them just joined us as well. If you're not going to compare them who would you compare :confused:

Manny

Grammar Police
It's not as close as I thought but there are quite a few in this thread that are not answering the questions correctly. Evident from comments like "it's been just one game" and "too early to tell". I was hoping to compare the two players not their impact for us.

Then we also have some people posting about Zlatan's heroics when he was younger. I want to compare the 35 year old Zlatan with current Lukaku.
There's lots of hero worshiping when it comes to Zlatan, so don't expect straight answers despite Lukaku out performing him last season for Everton.

Manny

Grammar Police
We know its a football forum. That doesn't mean every comparison deserves a poll.
The poll might usually have been unnecessary, but it was born out of a discussion Shaman was having in another thread.

I don't see much wrong in comparison either. Both were leading strikers for their sides last season, finishing 6th and 7th in league.

abaka

I think Lukaku will give us more of a presence in the box. Lukaku's second goal on Sunday for example. I don't recall Zlatan scoring many like that, Zlatan whilst tall isn't a target man, he prefers to play deep and is more inclined to score a volley/overhead kick/backheel flick as opposed to bullying a defender and scoring a header.

Whilst I love Zlatan and for years wanted him as I would imagine Zlatan's flair under SAF would be orgasmic, I truly believe Lukaku is a better fit for what we need now. Lukaku might not score as many fancy goals like Zlatan but if he can score a few goals like his second against West Ham then teams will defend differently against which in turn will open up the wide players and our midfielders to be more creative and daring.

Last year with Zlatan, we had too many people who wanted to play the ball and play deep, which meant teams just defended deep and organised to frustrate us....I imagine teams will disrupt their block to cope with Lukaku and that will lead to the chances for the rest of the team that I mentioned above.

Dobbs

There isn't a problem. Just making a general observation.
You drew a direct comparison between Lukaku and Morata! Yet here you are saying you can't compare Zlatan and Lukaku.

I think Morata is slightly better than Lukaku. Not only do last year's numbers in terms of goals per game bear that out, but the numbers were accrued whilst Morata was largely a sub.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Agreed. Lukaku will have us scratching our heads as to why we didn't see the fit before.

Oneunited26

I think Lukaku will give us more of a presence in the box. Lukaku's second goal on Sunday for example. I don't recall Zlatan scoring many like that, Zlatan whilst tall isn't a target man, he prefers to play deep and is more inclined to score a volley/overhead kick/backheel flick as opposed to bullying a defender and scoring a header.

Whilst I love Zlatan and for years wanted him as I would imagine Zlatan's flair under SAF would be orgasmic, I truly believe Lukaku is a better fit for what we need now. Lukaku might not score as many fancy goals like Zlatan but if he can score a few goals like his second against West Ham then teams will defend differently against which in turn will open up the wide players and our midfielders to be more creative and daring.

Last year with Zlatan, we had too many people who wanted to play the ball and play deep, which meant teams just defended deep and organised to frustrate us....I imagine teams will disrupt their block to cope with Lukaku and that will lead to the chances for the rest of the team that I mentioned above.
Zlaten is what was needed last season to get this team back on the map, now we moving forward in hopefully in a more dynamic way, just hope we don't go back into our shell and play defensive football again. While I am in 2 minds united giving him a new contract, as how long will it take him to get up to speed with the game? who could be a passenger in the team, just because who he is. Maybe he could be like a henrik larsson kind of signing for this team, come in do a job to give us more depth, but I am weary having him back in the team because of the stage of his career, and his big injury could hinder the team, IF, that's a big IF, the team is playing a dynamic brand of attacking football, because we know Mourinho can set us up with the team going back into their shell, if we get a bleeding nose in some games

edgar allan

Zlaten is what was needed last season to get this team back on the map, now we moving forward in hopefully in a more dynamic way, just hope we don't go back into our shell and play defensive football again. While I am in 2 minds united giving him a new contract, as how long will it take him to get up to speed with the game? who could be a passenger in the team, just because who he is. Maybe he could be like a henrik larsson kind of signing for this team, come in do a job to give us more depth, but I am weary having him back in the team because of the stage of his career, and his big injury could hinder the team, IF, that's a big IF, the team is playing a dynamic brand of attacking football, because we know Mourinho can set us up with the team going back into their shell, if we get a bleeding nose in some games
We need options and if Lukaku was to be injured I don't think either Rashford or Martial will give us the number of goals we need. However I don't think Ibra would re-sign to sit on the bench and play back up.

Oneunited26

We need options and if Lukaku was to be injured I don't think either Rashford or Martial will give us the number of goals we need. However I don't think Ibra would re-sign to sit on the bench and play back up.
Rashford can easily fill in the no9 role, he's proven he can. Martial is an inside forward that is improving, you can see its in his game. But in this day and age the manager cannot keep worrying what if that is injured, you can only play 11 players, and lukaku is not injury prone, so the thought of him getting injured is not something we have to worry about. With us playing 4231 we have flexibility in our options, the only true area we are light on is fullbacks, I be more worried with losing valencia to injury than lukaku. If I was Jose Mourinho, be on the look out for another LB, if he has not got much faith in luke shaw

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

And equally you'll have voters overly excited about Lukakus part in a single dominant win. You only have to go back to the beginning of preseason to see overly harsh criticism of Lukaku after his first two games. Either way it's plain to see the vast majority of members do not disagree with me.

shamans

And equally you'll have voters overly excited about Lukakus part in a single dominant win. You only have to go back to the beginning of preseason to see overly harsh criticism of Lukaku after his first two games. Either way it's plain to see the vast majority of members do not disagree with me.
Yes. Vast majority does not. Have to say I am surprised by it.