Lukaku or current/last seasons Zlatan - who is the better player?

Who is the better player? Lukaku or current/last season's Zlatan?

• Lukaku but Zlatan suits our style of play better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hanky panky

Right now Lukaku. Last season Lukaku. But Zlatan will be remembered as a better footballer. He just arrived to Manchester few years too late. After all, we will be better team with Lukaku than with 35 years old Zlatan.

Adebesi

Sure I hope so too but the question is who is better right now.

I'm guessing when Pogba joined you knew after one game he was better than Schweinsteiger.
Ok well on the evidence Lukaku is better for us because he's more mobile and seems to improve the whole attack. But that's on the evidence of a single game, plus a whole load of hope. So as I said before I'll reserve judgement for now.

But you are obviously welcome to your early conviction.

Dobbs

Ok well on the evidence Lukaku is better for us because he's more mobile and seems to improve the whole attack. But that's on the evidence of a single game, plus a whole load of hope. So as I said before I'll reserve judgement for now.

But you are obviously welcome to your early conviction.
I don't think it's that early. He's not some untested newcomer like Lindelof. He scored 25 league goals last year for Everton so I'd say there's more than one game to go at.

I'm surprised at those who keep saying he's only replaced Ibra's goals. I'd bet my house he scores more than the 17 Ibra got last year.

mattsville

Lukaku is feeling his way into United at the moment but he is scoring goals while doing it, he offers so much more that zlatan to our overall game, zlatan kept dropping deep into an already crowded area which left nobody to aim at in the box, he slowed down attacks and could not run channels or take on defenders due to lack of pace, our game now should be more fluid and it gives us more options while Lukaku still offers you the physicality of zlatan and he has a great positional instinct around the box, I felt even though we played to zlatan's strengths when he did get chances his finishing was erratic which was disappointing for such an experienced and confident player, but then he does something spectacular and it's great again, definitely have an upgrade in Lukaku, he is only 24 and the football should be quicker and more exciting due to the abilities he brings to the team.

Chairman Woodie

The stats according to Planet Football, from last season, offers some insight.

Some of the stats below.

Romelu Lukaku/Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Minutes played: In the Premier League, Lukaku played 830 minutes more than Ibrahimovic. Zlatan played 400 minutes more across all competitions.

Goalscoring: Lukaku had his best goalscoring season in 2016/17, scoring 25 goals in 37 games. Ibrahimovic scored 17 goals in 28 games.

Goalscoring Per Minute: Lukaku scored every 131 minutes. Ibrahimovic scored every 143 minutes.

Goalscoring Methods: Lukaku scored 48 percent of goals with his left-foot, and 28 percent with his right foot. Zlatan scored roughly eleven of his goals with his right-foot. Both scored 24 percent of their goals with headers.

Scoring Range: Lukaku scored one goal from outside the box. Ibrahimovic scored a quarter of his goals from outside the box.

Shot Conversion Rate: Lukaku had a 28 percent conversion rate. Ibrahimovic had a 20 percent conversion rate.

Assists: Lukaku provided six assists, or one every 545 minutes. Ibrahimovic provided five assists, one every 487 minutes. All of the assists came from open play.

Passing: Lukaku had a passing rate of 64 percent. Ibrahimovic had a passing rate of 74 percent.

SirScholes

The better player? Zlatan
But the better player for us this season? Should be lukaku, he changes the dynamic of our attack despite being less gifted than Zlatan

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
There will come a time in this season when Zlatan has signed back up and is fit enough to play in a front 2 alongside Lukaku. It won't be a regular thing, and might be against weaker opposition, but it'll happen and I can't fecking wait

Ram1fy

I personally don't care, but why pick anyone when Lukaku just played one game. Why can't we appreciate both of them. Now, if someone for some reason chose Zlatan, they would be hoping Lukaku screws up the entire season and be trying to prove their point.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think Ibra is still a better overall player(but I'm open to changing my mind on this), but Lukaku is a better fit for our team.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Personally think there is no doubt in Lukaku being the better player. He is 24, entering his prime while Zlatan will be 36 soon. As it stands he is fitter, sharper and an all round better player than Ibrahimovic.

Again, this isn't about them in their peaks. Highly doubt Lukaku will be able to replicate the very impressive standards of Zlatan at his age either.

EDIT: Could a mod please add a poll?
You can't really ask the question after one game. If Lukaku produces what Zlatan did last year then you can credibly ask for a comparison.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
You can't really ask the question after one game. If Lukaku produces what Zlatan did last year then you can credibly ask for a comparison.
This Lukaku is very sharp. He'll probably bag another goal or two against Swansea City

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Zlatan is better footballer but Lukaku adds more to the team. Not sure if that makes much sense.

Zlatan is very good on the ball and drops deep and acts as a playmaker but he needs players making runs all the time to make proper use of Zlatan which we lacked last season. With Zlatan it's all about what happens infront of defense as he won't stretch the defense or push them back playing on the shoulders of the defense line, when the defense is dropped deeper Zlatan was capable of making those intelligent runs to beat the defensive line but from higher position even if he did, he was caught easily.

With Lukaku, if the teams play higher defensive line, he is capable of hurting them as he is very quick and powerful. He plays on the shoulder of the defense line and also makes runs to the channels. We have players who can create chances, we need CF who is in the box to finish off those chances.

In short, Zlatan is better player but Lukaku suits this team more.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
I dunno, this might turn out to be an amazing buy,... very sharp, pacey, strong, and maneuvers into inteligent pockets of space

@Ram1fy Watching the movement in friendlies too

Dwight Yorke eye for goal?

Last edited:

Lukaku is better than a 35 year old Zlatan. The stats above prove it. We need a striker to score goals and help others score goals, and Lukaku was better at that last season even at Everton.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Poll added.
Is it possible to add few more options like
Zlatan but Lukaku suits better
Lukaku but Zlatan suits us better

Something like that. IMO simple Yes or No wouldn't answer the OP.

AgentP

Passing: Lukaku had a passing rate of 64 percent. Ibrahimovic had a passing rate of 74 percent.
This is surprising. Zlatan tries a lot of risky passes and hence has a low pass completion rate. But from what I have seen of Lukaku, he tries to play simple passes but still has an abysmal pass completion rate. Maybe it's because he is more isolated in attack and loses the ball more often against tough opposition. At United, he'll have more players around him so I can see this stat improve considerably to around 75%.

moodyred

Can we have both? Lukaku frees up other players because of his movement and the entire team looks more fluid. Zlatan is more static but will get you a goal out of nowhere. Zlatan has the charisma and a positive impact on any player. Put the 2 together and every team we play will have nightmares.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

When Lukaku scores a goal like this then he will be up there with Zlatan. There is only one Zlatan, the man is one of a kind and I am just grateful he played for United, and hope he stays another year too. I always liked him but never got the obsession or hype surrounding him until I saw that goal against England. That hat-trick topped with that goal just showed me what the hype was all about. When he joined United I saw more sides to him that showed me he wasn't just an arrogant prick, that there is so much more to him and that he really is a legend. He's humble, funny, smart, witty and for a player who has never played in the PL before to score 28 goals in all competitions at 35 years old, WOW. I suppose it's always different when a player comes to play for United but I think after the massive disappointments of Di Maria and Falcao, Zlatan was a breath of fresh air and a joy to watch.

I'm not hating on Lukaku, I think he's a beast and he will be Jose's new Drogba for United but he's done nothing yet to be rated alongside Zlatan. Hopefully he will, and hopefully he will do it all for United.

AN17

Way too early to make a judgement. Everytime Lukaku misses a sitter or fluffs a crucial chance, there will be a lot of fans calling him a donkey, not good enough to fill zlatan's boots etc forgetting the bucket load of chances Zlatan himself missed. And everytime Lukaku smash 2 or 3 past West Ham or Watford, we're gonna have some lot declare Lukaku's a way better player forgetting the misses he was culpable a few weeks back.

King_Cantona07

Zlatan a better player but lukaku fits system more and zlatan plays more like a playmaker than a striker so considering number 9 is in question lukaku for united

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Zlatan because he can do most things Lukaku can (without the pace) and much much more. However Lukaku is younger and quick, will suit us better.

chb23

too early to tell.

Don't be so knee jerk if in the next game he plays like shit.

NoLogo

Zlatan a better player but lukaku fits system more and zlatan plays more like a playmaker than a striker so considering number 9 is in question lukaku for united
This is really the thing we should be looking at. Whose playing style let's us play better football not who is individually better. At the end of the day I take a striker that's individually worse but let's the team overall perform better over a striker who scores loads of goals but the rest of the team is suffering as a consequence.

lysglimt

Scout
Zlatan was brilliant in the box and scored many good goals - but he was also useless as a 1 defender because of his poor mobility and he has lost a good amount of pace and

So for me Lukaku is the better player AND he suits us better - because now we can threaten defenders with his pace. Before, we had no pace up front.

Tosicsleftpeg

Zlatan is a brilliant player and had a great season last year scoring alot of goals so it's hard to criticize him, however it was clear at times last season when Rashford played up top that we had been lacking that place to stretch a team. Lukaku fits the bill, with pace and with finishing as well which Rashford dosent quite have yet.

Lukaku although not as skillfull or technical as Zlatan has more positives on his side but Zlatan was great too, I vote Lukaku.

Von Mistelroum

Zlatan is a truly top drawer, world class player who would get into any team on his day. Sure he's aged a little but he's a legend of the game.

I'm really happy we got Lukaku, I think he can be huge for us and perhaps one day be world class too, but he's never going to be a football legend and he's definitely not as good as Zlatan.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@shamans was this the vast majority disagreeing with me you were hoping for?

The red panther

princess transfer emo
No doubt it is Lukaku, he seems sharper in front of goal, alot faster and quite possibly also stronger. Zlatan may have a better first touch and a more elegant football style but as a striker Lukaku seems far more efficient and deathly which is more important.

But we are compairing a 36 year old with a 24 year old obviously. Compairison when Ibra was 24 or when Lukaku would be 36 would be totally different.

Nevertheless, Lukaku at this moment is the better player.

Dobbs

When Lukaku scores a goal like this then he will be up there with Zlatan. There is only one Zlatan, the man is one of a kind and I am just grateful he played for United, and hope he stays another year too. I always liked him but never got the obsession or hype surrounding him until I saw that goal against England. That hat-trick topped with that goal just showed me what the hype was all about. When he joined United I saw more sides to him that showed me he wasn't just an arrogant prick, that there is so much more to him and that he really is a legend. He's humble, funny, smart, witty and for a player who has never played in the PL before to score 28 goals in all competitions at 35 years old, WOW. I suppose it's always different when a player comes to play for United but I think after the massive disappointments of Di Maria and Falcao, Zlatan was a breath of fresh air and a joy to watch.

I'm not hating on Lukaku, I think he's a beast and he will be Jose's new Drogba for United but he's done nothing yet to be rated alongside Zlatan. Hopefully he will, and hopefully he will do it all for United.
Probably the best goal I've ever seen BUT the question is about who is the better player right now.

buckooo1978

he's played 1 league game

maybe wait a few months to properly assess?

Zlatan is/was technically one of the elite in Europe

Lukaku's speed, power and finishing are a lethal combination - his style stretched West Ham and made more space for Rashford and others

finneh

No question Lukaku is the better player right now, simply because he scores far more goals, both as a % of chances created and overall. No matter how pretty your build up play is or how self assured your persona is if you miss 18 clear cut chances, whilst scoring only 17 in the PL you'll be a detriment to your team. Lukaku on the other hand scored 25 whilst missing only 8. The difference between your main striker missing 1 in 4 great chances and 1 in 2 is the difference between competing for the title and struggling to finish 4th.

Rusholme Ruffian

Zlatan did extremely well for us last season - in fact I feel like he played as well as it was possible for him to play given the limitations of his age and body. I was pleased with him, but it was always tinged with a feeling of unsustainability due to him being at the tail end of his career and nagging feeling that we might be even better with a more mobile and pacy striker.

Lukaku was maybe not the most 'exciting' signing we could have made, but is perfect for this team. It all feels a bit more 'permanent' this year, and even if he has a period where he struggles I'll have faith that he is worth persevering with and building the attack around. Last year there was the inescapable feeling that we were just the latest/final destination on Zlatans Grand Tour and that very soon we would be back to square one. In restrospect maybe his injury was a blessing in disguise as it meant we had to solve the number 9 problem straight away instead of potentially fudging it for another season.

FromTheBench

Zlatan is the better player but Lukaku might be a better fit for us since he is more focused on scoring goals, while Zlatan dropped deep quite a lot. It is early to tell tho, Lukaku is off to a very good start but it has only been one game. Zlatan scored in his debut last year too, and this forum was really high on him at that point. It doesn't matter though, I expect us to re-sign Zlatan and then play both of them, probably in a 3-5-2.
Even if we sign Zlatan again, we won't start both together. It would be alternating or as a sub.

Won't make a good partnership together for me, and 2ndly Mourinho has never really played with 2 out and out strikers.

Lentwood

:lol: where's the white text?
It's a dangerous game just 'believing' that you have the best players in every position and ignoring the evidence otherwise! Worth heading over to RAWK if you want an example of how that regularly leads to anger, frustration and despair!

Lukaku and Zlatan are good players. So are Aguero and Jesus. So are Costa and Morata. So are Kane and Son. So are Lacazette and Giroud. Need to be objective!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
A bit premature for a thread for this - give it 6 months at least before trying to compare their impact.