Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson33

Played well but looked like he lacked energy in the second half. He needs a run of games to get his sharpness back. He still has promise.

Last edited by a moderator:

lysglimt

Scout
What puzzles me is what people expect from Shaw. He was defensively faultless, and did ok going forward. Was he brilliant ? No - but he has hardly ever played and has zero backing from his manager. It's like people here expect him to dominate every single game, otherwise he isn't good enough. He was yet again among our best players - so imagine what he could do if given gametime and some backing from Mourinho.

Coxy

What puzzles me is what people expect from Shaw. He was defensively faultless, and did ok going forward. Was he brilliant ? No - but he has hardly ever played and has zero backing from his manager. It's like people here expect him to dominate every single game, otherwise he isn't good enough. He was yet again among our best players - so imagine what he could do if given gametime and some backing from Mourinho.
This, sadly. It’s a shame if he moves on and then shows what he can do elsewhere.

Red_Aaron

I thought he did well but like so many of our players he looked afraid to make a mistake and played conservatively for the most part.

Thats probably the last we'll see of him this season, I still have hopes he can make it here but it doesn't look a good fit with mou and I'm not sure he'll stick another season on the fringes

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I used to think the same but this kid needs to want it more imo. So mostly the blame lies with himself in regards his fitness issues. He’s had an ACL injury (absolutely not his fault let’s make that clear) but is young and has had rehab, the next stage would be to maintain your fitness and find your game legs. He for a number of reasons didn’t get much game time but he was also at fault as his fitness was clearly effecting his form.
It was up to him to go away work hard get fitter and force his way past Ashley Young.
He’s went opposite direction and looks unfit and bulky for an elite footballer. Before anyone points the finger at the relationship with Jose, Luke has got to do it for himself and career first and foremost. Plus to add a bit perspective when young players come through there are very few managers that will say anything negative about these players as you tend to just get positives. With Luke we have saw a few of his managers have a go at him in the press it’s not just been Jose unfortunately as this kid could be the modern day Stuart Pearce as he’s that talented but you need an attitude and desire to match.
Looking from the outside in Luke doesn’t appear to have the desire or drive and that looks the main issue not Jose berating him.

mohr

For me he always put on decent performances every time he plays. Which makes me wonder why Mourinho always drop him.
It's not like Ashley Young needs to play every game

Yagami

Good post resistant
For me he always put on decent performances every time he plays. Which makes me wonder why Mourinho always drop him.
Completely agree. Under José, I haven't seen him play a bad game bar the derby last year in the league cup where J.Navas had him on toast for the entire 1st half.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You need to prove you're matchfit before the match to even be considered. If you're fit the manager has to select you. You wont get into contention if you're not match fit.

Just like in fm i never play anyone bellow 70 percent condition, not because of their skill but because they're not fit to do their job

MUFC OK

You need to prove you're matchfit before the match to even be considered. If you're fit the manager has to select you. You wont get into contention if you're not match fit.

Just like in fm i never play anyone bellow 70 percent condition, not because of their skill but because they're not fit to do their job
Very hard to replicate that match sharpness without playing games. You can train and run off the pitch as much as you like but theres very little like playing 90 mins of football. It usually starts to show after the 60 min mark and the truly match fit players are the ones that can still compete at 80% in the final minutes of the game.

Lol at the second bolded part.

Kostov

Our best player last night, very good defensively and can improve in attack. If given a string of games he would prove that he is the best full back at the club.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Very hard to replicate that match sharpness without playing games. You can train and run off the pitch as much as you like but theres very little like playing 90 mins of football. It usually starts to show after the 60 min mark and the truly match fit players are the ones that can still compete at 80% in the final minutes of the game.

Lol at the second bolded part.
Not really. Sharpness and fitness is 2 different thing. You can't really prepare match sharpness but you can prepare for match fitness (aka having the required stamina to run 90 minutes with full concentration).

Besides. If shaw is that good and the sort of fullback we need jose will play him, people have the stigma that jose has favorites and dislike certain players. It's just a job. Would you bench a good player because you simply dont like them? While your job is hanging by the result? If jose didnt pick shaw he would certainly has his own reason, certainly not an absurd personal beef. It's just a job

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's 2 good performances in a row.

He's clearly not a wingback as he doesn't know the position and attacking isn't his strong point, but defensively he was solid as usual. Nobody beats him in 1v1.

He did get tired in the 2nd half but that's not surprising, you need matches to get that fitness back.

We would be mad to sell him, I would rather keep him and get a replacement for Young whos 32 :houllier:

REALLY wish that shot went in for him, it would have done him a world of good.

MUFC OK

Not really. Sharpness and fitness is 2 different thing. You can't really prepare match sharpness but you can prepare for match fitness (aka having the required stamina to run 90 minutes with full concentration).

Besides. If shaw is that good and the sort of fullback we need jose will play him, people have the stigma that jose has favorites and dislike certain players. It's just a job. Would you bench a good player because you simply dont like them? While your job is hanging by the result? If jose didnt pick shaw he would certainly has his own reason, certainly not an absurd personal beef. It's just a job
By match fitness/sharpness I see what you are saying. But my point was that there is little training that can compare to the unpredictability and intensity that playing 90 mins requires, and obviously that is different to just running for 90 mins.

As for the second part, yeah I don't think Jose has a personal vendetta against Shaw, and I'm not sure if he's ultimately good enough and would prefer we bought proven quality at this stage.

Andersons Dietician

I'm sure he can. I mean why the not risk it a couple of times? We have serial under performers starting week in week out, I'd take the risk with a talented full back such as Shaw.
Didn’t he already do this? that spell when Young was injured or banned and Shaw put a string of games together and I’m sure he got a motm in that period also. Positive after those performances there was also a poll about when Young is back will he get his place back or something.

Kostov

Didn’t he already do this? that spell when Young was injured or banned and Shaw put a string of games together and I’m sure he got a motm in that period also. Positive after those performances there was also a poll about when Young is back will he get his place back or something.
Yeah, but nonetheless Young went straight back into the team. So feck Mourinho for that. I will forever hold a grudge on him for the treatment of Shaw and Martial.

In Rainbows

Yes, and his performances were brushed aside by many fans because if he's on the bench for Mou, he must have been awful.

Trizy

Did well for me, hate on here for him is cray cray.
Does anyone really hate him though? Fairly sure the majority want him kept as either a starter or the more popular opinion, a sub. With the hope of him finding form and making the position his own.

If it was up to me, I'd sell Darmian, let Young go and sign Sandro.

Shaw and Sandro would be fantastic options.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His biggest problem is injury. If He can overcome that (and it's side effects) He'd be a first choice instead of a passenger.
I don't hate the guy but We can't have a passenger unless if We sign another left back that's good enough to be first choice. We can't rely on Ashley Young.

CM

Does anyone really hate him though? Fairly sure the majority want him kept as either a starter or the more popular opinion, a sub. With the hope of him finding form and making the position his own.

If it was up to me, I'd sell Darmian, let Young go and sign Sandro.

Shaw and Sandro would be fantastic options.
I think there are definitely a few who do. I've seen quite a few criticisms of him that are borderline personal, and there is a general consensus that he's overweight/unfit, has a stinking attitude and cannot apply himself.
His biggest problem is injury. If He can overcome that (and it's side effects) He'd be a first choice instead of a passenger.
I don't hate the guy but We can't have a passenger unless if We sign another left back that's good enough to be first choice. We can't rely on Ashley Young.
He hasn't missed a game through injury since August and missed long periods of last season where he wasn't injured too. Mourinho simply prefers Young and that isn't going to change. Time to sign a new left back.

mohr

This.

I also remember that period. I thought maybe Jose want to give Young a change back from injury to get match fit. But then he didn't play Shaw for a long time.
And didn't Jose said to the press Shaw was working hard on training before?

Does Shaw really that inconsistent in training, that Jose changes from praising him to dropping him with only a few weeks difference?

R'hllor

He has his boys, regardless of fitness or form he showed that in the past. Not mentioning period when Shaw was playing while Young was suspended/injured, Shaw looked good but that meant feck all because Young took his place the moment he was back, there wasnt even a waiting part for Shaw to make some mistake, nope. Guess JM`s brain was overloaded and it needed a rest.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I usually give him stick but he played well yesterday so fair play to him. Playing in that formation is always hard for the wide man because he had so much to do. I just wish his final ball was miles better than it is, maybe that will come with age.
Stuck up for Pogba as well when noble tried clawing his eyes out which is good to see.

Canagel

It doesn't what happens now. He got lambasted by the manager for making a forward run. His effort was the closest we came to scoring the whole match. Ashely Young is still 1st choice and will continue to be so next season too. Shaw won't get regular game time here so there's no point. I really believe with more game time he can nail down that position as his own but the manager has no faith in him sadly. If I'm the coach he'd play the cup final vs Chelsea as well. That confidence to be trusted in a big game would be the start of something really good but it'll never happen.

SteveW

100% agree. Pretty much every time he's played he looks at least as good as Young.

This sentiment is being taken towards anyone Jose is freezing out. Being as good as the players being favoured over them isn't enough. On the odd occasion when they get a game they are expected to immediately be absolutely brilliant, otherwise we're told that they've failed to take their chance. It's not realistic in the slightest. Shaw's been decent to good almost every time he's played this season.

JK-27

He had a solid game last night. Pace, recovery. He still needs to improve his attacking game, but then again the whole side need to. Had plenty of opportunities to run the line in the final third but chose to pass it inside to team mates, a bad choice given WH were playing so compact.

ice-bionic red

One of the few who had a good game. Sadly won’t play again I’d bet. fecking Ashley young starts over him what a joke!

AP88

Supports
Man City
I’d have liked to have seen him on the left of the back three,
Our best player last night, very good defensively and can improve in attack. If given a string of games he would prove that he is the best full back at the club.
I’d say in the league - there’s nobody even close to him. Mendy’s crossing is superior but I’m not sold on him as an actual defender.

It’s a real shame because it seems to be personal; his performances have been 6/7 out of tens this season, which for a kid who plays once a month is decent.

Kostov

I’d have liked to have seen him on the left of the back three,

I’d say in the league - there’s nobody even close to him. Mendy’s crossing is superior but I’m not sold on him as an actual defender.

It’s a real shame because it seems to be personal; his performances have been 6/7 out of tens this season, which for a kid who plays once a month is decent.
I rate him highly, and think he has the potential but I won't go over the top praising him. We are missing a trick and letting go of a player with big potential in a position we need. And I don't know based on what Jose made this decision, it is certainly not based on performances because whenever Shaw was given a chance he has had very solid games.

roseguy64

Can he maintain the intensity to play twice a week though?
He did it earlier in the season when he got his run of games then was dropped once Young came back. Then the debacle with the half time substitution and he hasn't played again until the last couple weeks.

Hojoon

Thought he was good yesterday. He's a good defender and footballer in general, even though his crossing is flat out terrible.

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought he looked good, he is a good player but his fitness is dreadful. There's absolutely no way he's going to the World Cup, he needs to spend the summer getting into peak condition for next season regardless of where he'll be playing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think wherever he goes he'll improve a lot and be trusted more and develop quite a bit as a player. Many managers have questioned his professionalism, which is fair, but he is a good player and maybe sometimes you need that love from the off to get the player to put in the training instead of slacking off because he knows he wont get anywhere.

Decomposing In Paris

My biggest issue with people's perceptions of Shaw is that he is seen as an offensive left back, but he can't cross or shoot, and I can't remember him ever playing a particularly intelligent pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.