Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It is also a bit cnutish of the club to prefer a winger as a left back when you have a dedicated left back in good form sitting on the side lines even after some good performances in the rare games he got to play. He owes the club nothing if Jose is hell bent on being defensive and using a winger as a left back. Shaw has his career to think about and anyone in his place will think about quitting the club to get more playing opportunities.
Good point mate. I think that the whole situation is ludicrous. Mourinho is making a pigs ear of it. What’s the betting that Young starts today?

Web of Bissaka

It is also a bit cnutish of the club to prefer a winger as a left back when you have a dedicated left back in good form sitting on the side lines even after some good performances in the rare games he got to play.
Agree with that. Young and Shaw should switch their roles - Young plays less and benched, Shaw plays more and start most of our games. We're a lot more balance with Shaw playing at LB. Rotate Valencia and Young at RB.

Maybe the only reason Mourinho plays Young ahead of Shaw is urgency and aggression probably. At times, Young shows more urgency and aggression in games than Shaw, who have a habit of relaxing at times during games. In addition, perhaps to balance it out if Martial is playing, since both Shaw and him tend to attacks the LW space. Young did a lot more cut backs.

Still, Shaw offers a more solid defense and more effective attacking movements when we're attacking. His timing in making overlapping runs are a lot better than Young. Build our future team, play him more. Still, the situation is a lot better than last season whence Shaw is the 4th/5th choice LB after Darmian, Blind, (Rojo) and Young. This season he's our 2nd choice LB.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Well it's pretty much clear now that he's second choice behind Young.
Had been clear for a while. Jose's said himself that Shaw is the kind of player who needs a run of games, so as soon as Young became available again and Shaw ended up starting just the cup and 'easy' home games it was clear who Jose preferred.

Young's LB starts
Burnley (A)
Spurs (A)
Newcastle (A)
Sevilla (A - CL)
Chelsea (H)

Shaw's LB starts

Yeovil Town (A - FAC)
Huddersfield (H)
Huddersfield (A - FAC) - Young was RB

Seanus

Not a Shaw knocker for the sake of it, he is a decent player but I am not surprised Young is in. There is little to choose between them defensively, I feel Young is slightly more disciplined, we rarely see him strolling back or 10 yards the wrong side of his man. Plus although Young's goal return and chances made stats are not good they are better than Shaw's who has still to score a goal at this level.

It could well be that Young knows this is last chance saloon for him so is battling harder because the fall he will have to take at his age in wages and club status will be a big drop down in both, while Shaw knows he has another 10 years in him and will be picked up by a top half Premier team without a doubt.

El Zoido

Shaw makes at least one major defensive mistake every game, Jose is right to pick Young ahead of him in important games.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Shaw makes at least one major defensive mistake every game, Jose is right to pick Young ahead of him in important games.
I don't think there's much between them, but don't act like Young doesn't make his fair share of mistakes a game, he's a defensive liability (no shame in it considering he's a converted winger).

Sylar

Still find it weird he got dropped for Young when he was. He was on a good run of games and much needed after Young stupidly got himself suspended. Shaw put in a good run, got praise and was dropped. And doesnt start big games.

If Jose doesnt trust him over a converted winger using the opposite foot, Shaw is in trouble as a United player.

Jonno

I don't think there's much between them, but don't act like Young doesn't make his fair share of mistakes a game, he's a defensive liability (no shame in it considering he's a converted winger).
I think Shaw makes more mistakes at the moment. Both 'decent' left backs, but not much more than that. I presume he's simply going for his experience, that and he is probably the best crosser in our squad.

AltiUn

I think Shaw makes more mistakes at the moment. Both 'decent' left backs, but not much more than that. I presume he's simply going for his experience, that and he is probably the best crosser in our squad.
I think Shaw in general offers a lot more defensive stability. As you said, they're both decent and he is going for experience but I'd rather we persist with Shaw, he's 22, will be our long term option and Young isn't exactly doing enough for me that he absolutely has to play.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pre suspension maybe but since returning Young has been very average. Shaw should be starting now
No don’t agree I’d like to see Shaw get a game but Young’s been brilliant and deserves his place.

AltiUn

No don’t agree I’d like to see Shaw get a game but Young’s been brilliant and deserves his place.
He had a purple patch no doubt but he's nowhere near that at the moment.

Lawman

He had a purple patch no doubt but he's nowhere near that at the moment.
I get that but still producing form Shaw has not shown. I get it long term but short term no way Young deserves it easy. Conte tried to isolate Young yesterday then diagonal ball to Moses for a 1 on 1 which Young ate up yesterday. He played very well yesterday but now that we are discussing Shaw for me he wouldn’t have been trusted to produce this yesterday and Jose rightly or wrongly trusts him not. We’ll see if that changes (hopefully) but Young hands down for me now we are at the business end of the season.

luke511

No coincidence Shaw has the best clean sheets to games ratio out of all our defenders, we seem a lot more secure at the back when he's playing. Not only that but he offers a different dimension when he goes forward as well, his inside runs when the flanks are covered are great at unlocking the opponents defence because they don't expect it. Every defender in the league knows what Young is going to do, he never uses his left foot which can completely kill an attack off when he cuts back onto his right and pisses about with the same move over and over.

Ole90+3

I get that but still producing form Shaw has not shown. I get it long term but short term no way Young deserves it easy. Conte tried to isolate Young yesterday then diagonal ball to Moses for a 1 on 1 which Young ate up yesterday. He played very well yesterday but now that we are discussing Shaw for me he wouldn’t have been trusted to produce this yesterday and Jose rightly or wrongly trusts him not. We’ll see if that changes (hopefully) but Young hands down for me now we are at the business end of the season.
You thought Young played very well yesterday?

He was absolutely rubbish when we attacked. Hugged the touchline but never actually seemed like he wanted the ball. Was painfully predictable every time he received the ball in a dangerous area.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I get the impression that the board vetoed a move for Rose in January, instead pointing out that he has Shaw available to him and imploring that he at least tries to get something out of him....and this is Jose’s way of sulking. Why else would you opt against utilising a defensively solid, robust young leftback with such potential in big games?

It’s as if he played him over the Christmas period to get him match fit to entice Spurs into a potential swap for Rose, and since that’s fallen through he’s back riding bench while the underwhelming, geriatric Young has been given the left back spot.

Lawman

You thought Young played very well yesterday?

He was absolutely rubbish when we attacked. Hugged the touchline but never actually seemed like he wanted the ball. Was painfully predictable every time he received the ball in a dangerous area.
Yep defensively he was excellent and sniffed out Moses completely. Going forward he wasn’t bad but very conservative. The second half he was better.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’m starting to think that it’s in everyone’s interest for Shaw to leave in the summer.

The fact that Jose prefers a 33 year old winger at left back over Shaw clearly shows that he doesn’t trust him at all.

We might as well sell him, and use the money to bring in a new left back that Jose does trust.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I agree. What's the point of him?
I don't particularly rate him that much but I'm not having Young is a better LB.
Buy a proper attacking LB so we can see the end to this madness.

Based Adnan

If he can't be trusted to play vs a godawful injury filled Crystal Palace side then what's the point with Jose coming out all those positive comments about Shaw?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Luke Shaw has done little to convince he is a better option than Young. Young is quite good going forward and decent when defending. Luke shaw is just decent all over the park. Everything Shaw does is vastly overrated on this forum, he does a simple pass into the space or makes an overlapping run and some cream themselves. Meanwhile, Young skins fullbacks all the time or has the winger in his pocket and noone bats an eye. It's as if people are trying to force Shaw into a good player by their own will.

Young is more consistent, while also providing the occasional match winning performance (Brighton and Watford).

I would like a new LB in the summer, because Young is not at the top level, but he's better than Shaw.

mad1max954

Playing a 33 year old winger, in this game, above shaw is unacceptable.

No way is young better than shaw. If shaw can’t get a game against these then it’s all over.

Crystal Palace 2:3 Man Utd

Brophs

The One and Only
I mean, it's obviously not my main take away from the game, but if Jose is controlling him, as he claims, then it might be an idea to stop pressing the 'Eat Biscuits' button.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It really is unprofessional to let yourself go like that even if you're not playing much. I mean players who have real long term injuries still manage to keep watch of their bodyfat levels.

lsd

The Oracle
Seriously unfit looking no wonder he isn't starting , can't remember seeing a player look that out of shape at a big club .

I remember Andy Reid at forest but to be like that paying for Utd is not a good look .He looks like he needs a bra

FromTheBench

His built is bit like Rooney's. Seems fatter than he is.

But he has definitely gotten slower. Was freaking rapid when we bought him that first season.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's a chunker. When he first got on the ball, the camera zoomed right on him, and his upper body actually jiggled. Looked like a retired pro in one of those Soccer Aid matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.