Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I’m fascinated by the concept of Shaw as the left ball-playing centre back - like Blind on steroids (or under Pep....)

The only reason Daley isn’t playing there now is his lack of physicality; Shaw is quick, strong and has a fantastic leap, while his passing is quality too. He’s a very good leftback, but his end product when attacking is woeful and I think that’s why Mourinho still isn’t completely convinced by him.

As good as Jones has been, there’s an inevitable chaos about him that makes it impossible to trust him, regardless of how much you like him; factor in the physical issues, and it makes an upgrade necessary. Shaw’s a Rolls Royce footballer who’s technical and intellectual skills are underrated.

Kieran Tierney is a far more accomplished crosser and would be a great United fullback, but I wouldn’t want it to be at the expense of Shaw’s United career - I think along with Bailly and either Jones or TFM at rightback that could be a steady platform upon which to build an era of success.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Is Shaw's passing that good? Daley Blind has his stark limitations, but his passing is very good. I don't see Shaw being close to him in that regard. He's not poor at it, but if played in that position, I wouldn't particular call him a ball playing centre back.

His speed is what sets him apart, and at full tilt he can run with the ball at great pace. That would be wasted at centre back.

Ekeke

Is Shaw's passing that good? Daley Blind has his stark limitations, but his passing is very good. I don't see Shaw being close to him in that regard. He's not poor at it, but if played in that position, I wouldn't particular call him a ball playing centre back.

His speed is what sets him apart, and at full tilt he can run with the ball at great pace. That would be wasted at centre back.
Shaw is very capable of a good pass, but his percentage play isnt the best. He'll get it wrong plenty of the time. Rojo is similar when he tries anything beyond the simple.

Blind is capable of some great passes and will pull a few out per game without losing the ball in dangerous areas often.

luke511

Can you believe Ryan Bertrand is 2/5 to make the England squad whilst Shaw is 3/1, makes me laugh..

luke511

Fairly easy to believe that, yeah.
Left back for a team that are 2nd in the league and in the Champions League knockout stages or a left back that plays for 18th placed Southampton, yeah no brainer that innit.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Left back for a team that are 2nd in the league and in the Champions League knockout stages or a left back that plays for 18th placed Southampton, yeah no brainer that innit.
It’s primarily that Shaw hasn’t played regularly for 2 years for United nor featured for England - Bertrand has alternated with Rose in that time. Not an indication of their respective talents, just makes sense.

luke511

It’s primarily that Shaw hasn’t played regularly for 2 years for United nor featured for England - Bertrand has alternated with Rose in that time. Not an indication of their respective talents, just makes sense.
Previous involvement has been priced in obviously, but Southgate has shown in the past that he's a big fan of Shaw. 3/1 for Shaw is value and 2/5 for Bertrand is the complete opposite of that, all I'm saying.

Nick7

Left back that plays all season. Left back that doesn't play all season. Yeah, it's a no brainer.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Where have people got this idea that Shaw is an attacking fullback? His time at Southampton was based on being a defensive wall and physical specimen (strong, fast, agile). He has never been an attacking fullback.

Oscie

Where have people got this idea that Shaw is an attacking fullback? His time at Southampton was based on being a defensive wall and physical specimen (strong, fast, agile). He has never been an attacking fullback.
By watching him play, his burst of pace, the fact that he does get forward a fair bit, managerial instructions notwithstanding. You only have to watch Shaw play to see what he offers attacking wise, if permitted, in a full back role.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
By watching him play, his burst of pace, the fact that he does get forward a fair bit, managerial instructions notwithstanding. You only have to watch Shaw play to see what he offers attacking wise, if permitted, in a full back role.
So it's one of those 'potential' things and not actually how he plays. You aren't actually watching what he does on the pitch; but creating a footballer manager player profile for him and dreaming up how he 'can' play.

Shaw's attacking has nothing to do with being permitted; he has never been an attacking fullback because that is not his style of play. He has all the pace in the world and is a physical monster; but he prefers to utilize this as a defender first. This has been the case ever since he was at Southampton.

luke511

You are. We know. A player does not have a god given right to play for their country just because they're at a top team.
Obviously not familiar with England's team selection process for the last 20 years.
Was that necessary? Why not argue your point without having a dig at the poster?
I price football games for a living and I know a bad price when I see it, I was just stating that Bertrand should be bigger than 2/5 and Shaw should be shorter than 3/1. I didn't feel it was worth the energy of turning this into a Bertrand vs Shaw argument but I suppose I was asking for it coming out with such a statement.

Bwuk

Part of me thinks we aren’t going to win the league so why not give him a run? If he’s not doing the business by the end of the season replace him in the summer rather than mess around playing Young who will never be the answer.

Andersons Dietician

Did anyone notice that story in the mail which was going on about his £650 hoodie. His mate I’m guessing is a painter and decorator as he was covered but I really don’t get what the point of the story was and why we needed to know the cost of his hoodie which was rubbish anyway. I think there was stuff about him getting a new contract but the focus was on the jumper.

edgar allan

Did anyone notice that story in the mail which was going on about his £650 hoodie. His mate I’m guessing is a painter and decorator as he was covered but I really don’t get what the point of the story was and why we needed to know the cost of his hoodie which was rubbish anyway. I think there was stuff about him getting a new contract but the focus was on the jumper.
Thats a proper story by Mail standards.
At least it took the heat of immigrants and cyclists for one day.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
How dare he go shopping in a hoodie, he should be wearing the club's blazer at all times. In fact he should be putting in extra training sessions in his spare time.
The papers will make any story about Man United players, just like Rashford getting a new dog or whatever car a player wants to drive that day.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's never been great going forward really. His first season and a bit with LVG before he broke his leg everyone was saying he was really good defensively but struggled to overlap properly, and his final ball was awful. To his credit, he does a lot better with his overlaps these days, but still far from a normal "attacking" fullback. His strength was easily 1v1 defending and his recovery pace. With that, people hoped he would improve going forward, and he still has a lot to improve in that regard. Especially his crossing which is really lacking.

Zoo

Thought he had a good game and his second half was particularly strong. I wish he could just get a long run of games there now.

Devil may care

He was hung out to dry in the first half, grew into the game defensively but didn't offer anything in attack.

mu4c_20le

He made himself available on the left flank many times when we attacked, but no one passed to him or couldnt get the ball tohim. An obvious upgrade on Darmian at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.