Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion

He's been really terrible today, it has to be said. Didn't even try to do anything most of the time, I think he's been lucky they aren't even trying to attack us, because he's looked switched off the entire game.
This, so much this.

Both he and Valencia have been totally crap. The game was spent entirely in their half and attacking and you can count the number of overlapping runs on one hand. If we had Rafael and Evra playing that game we'd have won about 5-0.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He didn't do anything much wrong, but he looked so lazy and switched off today for me, it was like he didn't even want to play. At least that's what I got from watching him, I think he should have been far more involved today. Mourinho yelling at him to take the throw in while he was walking switched off summed his disinterest in today's game for me.

el3mel

Should be the main LB at the moment. He hasn't disappointed in any game and yeah him being left footed means he doesn't need to cut inside to cross like Young. Keep rotating between both but Shaw should be the main one at this point.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He didn't do anything much wrong, but he looked so lazy and switched off today for me, it was like he didn't even want to play. At least that's what I got from watching him, I think he should have been far more involved today. Mourinho yelling at him to take the throw in while he was walking switched off summed his disinterest in today's game for me.
Fully agree, think his attacking play suffered today a lot compared to previous games, not sure if he was instructed to stay back or something.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I'm not sure its disinterest I just don't think he's fully up to speed about what is required. He's our best LB at present should be playing every game.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Personally enjoyed his defensive performance. First make sure he's solid defensively. Then worry about attacking contribution. That'll come with time and confidence.

Romez

Thought he was average tbh, didn't get forward enough.

Needs to more aware of players running in behind him too. I forgot what match it was but it was in Europe, the goal people tried blaming on Smalling for playing him onside when the goal started from Shaw letting a player run in behind him. It happened again today.

Dion

But he wasn't terrible. He was fine today.
If you're one of 10 outfield players picked in a game your team dominates about you offer no meaningful contribution then you've done terribly. Football is a proactive game, you actually have to do things. Shaw did nothing all game, Rojo was a bigger threat down the left than Shaw today. The only player who can get away with being completely innocuous today is De Gea because the ball didn't go near him.

When a fullback isn't being asked to defend then it isn't enough to just sit in line with the centerbacks and do nothing, he should have been standing on the touchline 20 yards further forward and stretching play.

Nick7

If you're one of 10 outfield players picked in a game your team dominates about you offer no meaningful contribution then you've done terribly. Football is a proactive game, you actually have to do things. Shaw did nothing all game, Rojo was a bigger threat down the left than Shaw today. The only player who can get away with being completely innocuous today is De Gea because the ball didn't go near him.

When a fullback isn't being asked to defend then it isn't enough to just sit in line with the centerbacks and do nothing, he should have been standing on the touchline 20 yards further forward and stretching play.
Cool. He still wasn't terrible. He was average.

Dion

Cool. He still wasn't terrible.
Doing nothing when there is no pressure on you is terrible. You don't have to make a mistake to be awful, not even trying to do your job is just as bad as doing it badly. Average would have been at least trying to get involved in play, maybe some not coming off but at least being tactically useful by existing.

Nick7

Doing nothing when there is no pressure on you is terrible. You don't have to make a mistake to be awful, not even trying to do your job is just as bad as doing it badly.
Believe what you want. He wasn't terrible.

Dion

Believe what you want. He wasn't terrible.
He failed not only to do his job, but even to try to do it, when there was no pressure on him. By any definition that's terrible, you can put your fingers in your ears and lalala it away, but it doesn't change that he had no impact on the game.

Dion

Neither good or bad for me, just kind of there.
If you can be replaced with a cardboard cutout of Dale Winton and not have the game changed in any way I think it's fair to say you've had a bad game. Smacks of astonishingly low standards to me, fullbacks playing in systems with inverted wingers have to create the width, he didn't. If Lukaku started swanning around in midfield not getting involved in play and leaving the rest of the team to do things would you be as kind?

Devil may care

If you can be replaced with a cardboard cutout of Dale Winton and not have the game changed in any way I think it's fair to say you've had a bad game. Smacks of astonishingly low standards to me, fullbacks playing in systems with inverted wingers have to create the width, he didn't. If Lukaku started swanning around in midfield not getting involved in play and leaving the rest of the team to do things would you be as kind?
Valencia was the same on the other side, I don't think we can rule out the possibility that Jose had them sit deep the same way McTominay was clearly told to stay square of Matic, the plan seemed to be to rely on the front 4 to make something happen between them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's played better. Didn't do anything wrong per se, but he didn't really do much at all. Only really got forward in a good position from that Mata pass, which he messed up anyway.

Dion

Valencia was the same on the other side, I don't think we can rule out the possibility that Jose had them sit deep the same way McTominay was clearly told to stay square of Matic, the plan seemed to be to rely on the front 4 to make something happen between them.
I agree, but I've seen on multiple occasions Mourinho telling Shaw to get further forward and get involved and Young doesn't hold back. I think it's a personnel issue.

mav_9me

Bit of a nothing game from him. But he's got to be the first choice LB for now. Hopefully he develops an attacking / overlapping game with some sustained game time.

pascell

I've defended him in the past and I'm a fan of his and believe he's got great potential but not world class potential. Today showed his flaws, lack of concentration, lack of awareness, lack of positional sense and most of all he offers nothing in attack. I'm as glad as the next person that he's getting games but apart from his fitness, what's he improved on so far this season?

He really needs to learn to cross a ball otherwise I think we'll get in a replacement that can. The fact that he and Valencia struggle crossing a ball shows we're way off where we need to be with our full backs and is a big reason that Lukaku is feeding off scraps.

Dante

Average bang
That's all you need from him.

He's not an attacking leftback and he's not a defending leftback. He's a footballing leftback who contributes to the buildup with his fantastic pace and touch under pressure.

I think he'll be a better fit for the front 3 than Young. Our attacking trio doesn't contain any wingers. Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez and Rashford are all strikers, so keeping them high up the pitch is important. A fullback like Shaw will provide a perfect platform for the left 'winger' to drift into the box.

The fashion nowadays is for fullbacks to be part defender/part winger. Shaw's game makes him more like a part defender/part midfielder. Which is fine because Pogba is so adept at getting into crossing positions.

J_Red 11

Good game from Luke in my opinion. A few link up play from Sanchez and I hope they do it more often. Some good run especially the one when Mata passed it to him. I hope he keeps his spot.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit rubbish when in the final third isn’t he. His crossing is awful.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He has an amazing burst of pace to get away from his man but his final ball is quite poor. He needs work in that area, not surprising considering his development severely stalled with repeated injuries and not a lot of preseason.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Seems to be judged to a really low standard among United fans. He’s basically Darmian with pace. There’s nothing exceptional about him but he does a job.

At least when he plays we don’t proceed to spam crosses from the left as we do with Young.

Dion

Those are the qualities of an attacking fullback. What are you on about? He's at his best in the transition. Read the post.
So the transition doesn't involve any kind of creative input? Hmmm... even "footballing" fullbacks" have to do something.

"Footballing fullbacks", jesus christ. A "footballing fullback" is just a fecking fullback, they have to attack and defend.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Thought he was solid. Young should only be a back up to him. Let the lad play. Only way he will get better.

Dante

Average bang
So the transition doesn't involve any kind of creative input? Hmmm...
Those metrics aren't a measure of his contribution. His touches are mostly in the middle third. Which is the point I made. But you deleted it in your quote because it disproved the drivel you went on to post.

Dion

Those metrics aren't a measure of his contribution. His touches are mostly in the middle third. Which is the point I made. But you deleted it in your quote because it disproved the drivel you went on to post.
I didn't delete anything. So what is a measure of the output a "footballing fullback".

Status
Not open for further replies.