Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Nice to see Jose say positive stuff about our Luke in today's presser.

Mind you it did make me think that the main difference is simply that he is playing regularly.

extincti fugax hominum

Looks like he has convinced Jose not to sign another left back.
Encouraging words from Jose and i love Shaw and would definitely love him to make the LB position his but i think we need to move Young to RB (or he can compete both for LB & RB) and sign a LB in the summer to compete with Shaw and cover when he is out injured before selling Blind & Mr. Useless Shit Sideburn.

Sandyman

Encouraging words from Jose and i love Shaw and would definitely love him to make the LB position his but i think we need to move Young to RB (or he can compete both for LB & RB) and sign a LB in the summer to compete with Shaw and cover when he is out injured before selling Blind & Mr. Useless Shit Sideburn.
I'd rather we sign a good right back as understudy to Valencia. Young can play multiple positions when needed. If Shaw continues his improvement and cements his place in the side as a starter, then I would be happy with him for next season. But, if Blind is shipped out, we will need another versatile player who can play multiple positions (including left-back). Guess another thing to take from that quote is he will likely get a contract extension too.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
A fit Luke Shaw is a more than worthy candidate to be our left back for the next 10 years.

The fit part has certainly been the main issue, and the injuries had clearly affected him psychologically. Good to see he’s come over them barriers, and clearly showing he’s in Jose’s long term plan.

Long may this continue. I do hope he puts England to one side and focuses on developing himself a long-term career rather than playing for a World Cup place.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really great to see Luke has won Jose over. I just hope he can continue this and remain fit.

The talent is all there to see, let's hope this is the "start" of his career with us now.

haram

Him being so hard on the players, making them fight for their place and THEN praising them so much is great IMO.

Luke will feel on top of the world atm and will feel like everything Jose put him through was worth it. He’s more likely to push even harder now.

Oldyella

Good comments to hear as someone who hoped he would come good. Sure Jose will like a player who has kept their head down and worked even when they were getting the stick rather than carrot. Same with Martial to an extent, whereas the third player who seemed in a similar boat, mhiki shrunk and is already being moved on.

luke511

I managed to get him at 12/1 to make the world cup squad when he got those 2 MOTM's in a row a few weeks ago, he's still 9/2 on bet365 now, good value imo.

SirAF

Ageist
Him being so hard on the players, making them fight for their place and THEN praising them so much is great IMO.

Luke will feel on top of the world atm and will feel like everything Jose put him through was worth it. He’s more likely to push even harder now.
Agreed.

"Not many better LBs in the market" Pretty high praise, and great to hear.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Agreed.

"Not many better LBs in the market" Pretty high praise, and great to hear.
Isn't he sort of implying that he's open to sell Shaw there? Cryptic i know, and maybe I misjudged it but bringing up the transfer-market while praising him, why? Maybe to drive up the price if Spurs or some other club is lurking? Im probably just a bit paranoid with José at this point

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'd rather we sign a good right back as understudy to Valencia. Young can play multiple positions when needed. If Shaw continues his improvement and cements his place in the side as a starter, then I would be happy with him for next season. But, if Blind is shipped out, we will need another versatile player who can play multiple positions (including left-back). Guess another thing to take from that quote is he will likely get a contract extension too.
TFM is doing very well at Palace. By the time Valancia is done he could be quite ready to be our RB, well at least that's the hope.

SirAF

Ageist
Isn't he sort of implying that he's open to sell Shaw there? Cryptic i know, and maybe I misjudged it but bringing up the transfer-market while praising him, why? Maybe to drive up the price if Spurs or some other club is lurking? Im probably just a bit paranoid with José at this point
Nah.

criticalanalysis

There was a moment towards the end of the Stoke match that he threw himself in the way of a shot by Diouf, after Smalling had fallen over and taken him out. Didn't actually block the shot (went wide) but just being there probably prevented a better strike and possibly a goal.

Nothing major, but a big difference in attitude and determination compared to previous years.
Glad someone else noticed that too. I wouldn't say it's a change of attitude but he's always had a tendency to follow through on his defensive duties.

Not saying he doesn't have lapses but there are also times when he covers his centre backs very well.

On a totally different note but other people has noted this before, his aerial ability is quite good. He might not win the header but because of his core strength and decent leap, it's actually hard to 'beat' him when it's a 50/50 ball.

Fingers crossed he can kick on.

deafepl

TFM is doing very well at Palace. By the time Valancia is done he could be quite ready to be our RB, well at least that's the hope.
I think we'll see more of TFM next season rotating with Valencia on right back, Shaw rotating with Young. In next two season, I think we'll buy new fullback or new fullback academy graduates when Young and Valencia is done.

Sandyman

Oh yeah completely forgot about him. Maybe a player then who can cover both positions in case of injuries and the young players being inconsistent.

Seven Seas Sardines

I think we'll see more of TFM next season rotating with Valencia on right back, Shaw rotating with Young. In next two season, I think we'll buy new fullback or new fullback academy graduates when Young and Valencia is done.
Agreed. We should buy Sessegnon in the Summer and loan him out to Palace or hopefully Villa(with Steve Bruce) until he can replace Young.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I wouldn’t read loads into Jose’s comments. Clearly positive and reflect Shaw’s improvement.

But also buttering him up a little ahead of dropping him for available again Young I suspect.

Shaw seems a bit of a confidence player so that should give him a bit of a boost to counterbalance the dip from being ‘dropped’.

FujiVice

Happy to see him rested today in all honestly. Been on brilliant form, but still think he needs to be managed correctly and he's played more than he has in years this last month.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's a purely tactical decision. Young has one of the best deliveries in the league and Burnley will look to drop deep and make themselves difficult to break down. Having someone to consistently pick out Lukaku in the box will go some way to mitigate that tactic.

Litch

...unless injured, can be seen as anything but negative. He's playing well, no signs of lack of fitness so why wouldn't he start unless Jose thinks Young is a better option. I'm not buying it's tactical as Young ability to cross is applicable to every game against any appointment. Also to coincidental that just happens that Young has completed his suspension?

Litch

Still makes me question Shaws long term future. What Jose is saying is he's not complete enough and not attacking against defensive side....we'll that's the majority of the teams we play against? The right LB makes both redundant.

DdeGoat

Terrible decision to drop him. No one is providing the overlaps today. The left side is open and crying for a proper LB, instead we have this converted right footed winger to whip in crosses against an opposition that have a lot of defenders in the box. Tactical genius, though!

podurban2

Terrible decision to drop him. No one is providing the overlaps today. The left side is open and crying for a proper LB, instead we have this converted right footed winger to whip in crosses against an opposition that have a lot of defenders in the box. Tactical genius, though!
Should put you in charge, United are missing out.

redom

There have been numerous times where Martial has squared up his full back and started to cut in leaving a gaping hole for the overlap, there's no reason Young shouldn't be making those runs even if he's reliant on his right foot for delivery.

kotha

There was acres of space on the overlap today.. Martial tendency to dribble the ball inside opens space to be exploited.. Missed him tonight,he could have done some damage..

KYcinco

There was acres of space on the overlap today.. Martial tendency to dribble the ball inside opens space to be exploited.. Missed him tonight,he could have done some damage..
Oh stop it.

We didn't miss him at all.

criticalanalysis

On the one hand it was annoying Shaw was dropped but some rest after so many consecutive games could be good for him.

The more important thing is that hopefully Mourinho realises, Young is a back up player at most.

Ban

:lol:

Get out.

R'hllor

Young didnt look much of better attacker today, age and exp on other hand, guess he will never lose it vs Shaw in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.