Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
His contract situation. The club aren't going to risk him getting into the last six months of his contract and leave on a free if Mourinho decides he doesn't want Shaw. They'll want to recoup some of the money spent on him.
Ahh okay I apologise, however I think Shaw will be given a new contract. Mou has played him 4 games in a row, if he didn’t want him then he wouldn’t play so much. Not even for the shop window. Look at what Mou did when he didn’t want Schweinsteiger.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Ahh okay I apologise, however I think Shaw will be given a new contract. Mou has played him 4 games in a row, if he didn’t want him then he wouldn’t play so much. Not even for the shop window. Look at what Mou did when he didn’t want Schweinsteiger.
Thing is the situation with Valencia and now Young has kinda enforced that. Will see what happens when Valencia is back from injury but I'll be pleasantly surprised if Shaw still gets a fair amount of games before the end of the season once he's back.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Thing is the situation with Valencia and now Young has kinda enforced that. Will see what happens when Valencia is back from injury but I'll be pleasantly surprised if Shaw still gets a fair amount of games before the end of the season once he's back.
But Mourinho could easily have played Darmian or Blind at left back and not played Shaw at all. He is being given a chance and is taking it.

AP88

Supports
Man City
It looks as if the club has told Mourinho that Shaw is good enough, and to get something out of him to be honest; apparently they didn’t want to sanction a move for Rose as they couldn’t see why you’d do so at the expense of one of the best young players in his position in Europe.

If this is the case, it’s clever on behalf of the board, because his second spell at Chelsea showed that talented young players that he is reluctant to work with would have been long-term assets to the club once he inevitably moves on (see De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku, Bertrand)

Shaw can and hopefully will be United’s leftback in 5 years - Mourinho will be long gone by then.

Revaulx

It looks as if the club has told Mourinho that Shaw is good enough, and to get something out of him to be honest; apparently they didn’t want to sanction a move for Rose as they couldn’t see why you’d do so at the expense of one of the best young players in his position in Europe.

If this is the case, it’s clever on behalf of the board, because his second spell at Chelsea showed that talented young players that he is reluctant to work with would have been long-term assets to the club once he inevitably moves on (see De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku, Bertrand)

Shaw can and hopefully will be United’s leftback in 5 years - Mourinho will be long gone by then.
All well and good. What if he isn’t though? Jose has a poor record developing young players, but I’d rather trust his judgement than that of a bunch of people who appointed Moyes.

AP88

Supports
Man City
All well and good. What if he isn’t though? Jose has a poor record developing young players, but I’d rather trust his judgement than that of a bunch of people who appointed Moyes.
The guy who favoured Oscar over De Bruyne? Who sold the very competent Ryan Bertrand for £12m, then replaced him with flops Luis and Baba Rahman for circa £50m? Who preferred a geriatric Eto’o over Lukaku? The fella who’s been using Pogba out of position for 18 months?

Shaw has shown enough to suggest that he will be a very big long term asset to United, in terms of attitude and talent. He just requires sustained opportunity.

Red_toad

The guy who favoured Oscar over De Bruyne? Who sold the very competent Ryan Bertrand for £12m, then replaced him with flops Luis and Baba Rahman for circa £50m? Who preferred a geriatric Eto’o over Lukaku? The fella who’s been using Pogba out of position for 18 months?

Shaw has shown enough to suggest that he will be a very big long term asset to United, in terms of attitude and talent. He just requires sustained opportunity.
Nice balanced post there. All managers make odd transfer decisions and unless you know why x, y or z player was bought or sold, simply thrusting all the blame on the manager is wrong.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Would be over the moon IF he signs for us. All we need for our starting XI after that is a dictating cm and a leftback. I know Shaw has been doing good lately but I think heˋs a coward going forward.
He's not a coward. That's a combination of José's tactics and Shaw's limited technical ability (he's a defender for a reason).

Womp

idiot
He's not a coward. That's a combination of José's tactics and Shaw's limited technical ability (he's a defender for a reason).
This rubbish needs to be put to bed. Young when playing LB was one of our best offensive threats. Shaw himself has said in interviews that Jose wants his fullbacks to get forward.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This rubbish needs to be put to bed. Young when playing LB was one of our best offensive threats. Shaw himself has said in interviews that Jose wants his fullbacks to get forward.
It's the go to retort on this forum. Whenever a darling of their's isn't performing it's because of Jose's tactics.

It seems strange that the first one they question tactically is a proven tactically astute manager; rather than an inexperienced young player.

Part of being a top player is the ability to execute the tactics of top managers. Mourinho by all accounts is not a strict manager; he tailors his tactics. He is considered a pragmatic manager. If you trust his tactical instructions; he will trust you on the pitch to improvise.

Jacci

I really think he is a coward going forward. Maybe he hasnt fully recovered mentally from the injury and maybe never will. But right now its the same time after time, sprint, stop, sideway or backward pass.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
It's the go to retort on this forum. Whenever a darling of their's isn't performing it's because of Jose's tactics.

It seems strange that the first one they question tactically is a proven tactically astute manager; rather than an inexperienced young player.

Part of being a top player is the ability to execute the tactics of top managers. Mourinho by all accounts is not a strict manager; he tailors his tactics. He is considered a pragmatic manager. If you trust his tactical instructions; he will trust you on the pitch to improvise.
I really think he is a coward going forward. Maybe he hasnt fully recovered mentally from the injury and maybe never will. But right now its the same time after time, sprint, stop, sideway or backward pass.
Is it unfair to say Luke has struggled with José? And that has affected his performance? Ashley Young is a superior technical specimen to Luke, so it doesn't surprise me he is a better attacker. I will say that I'm still not sure how good Luke exactly is though and that his overall ability maybe be the only thing influencing his performances ( as in José has given him all the tools to succeed). I don't think it's rubbish though to suggest that maybe (I should have added this originally) José ways are not doing the best for him.

Oscie

I don't think he has any qualms about going forward and often makes runs. If he did more people would accuse him of neglecting defensive duties.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Is it unfair to say Luke has struggled with José? And that has affected his performance? Ashley Young is a superior technical specimen to Luke, so it doesn't surprise me he is a better attacker. I will say that I'm still not sure how good Luke exactly is though and that his overall ability maybe be the only thing influencing his performances ( as in José has given him all the tools to succeed). I don't think it's rubbish though to suggest that maybe (I should have added this originally) José ways are not doing the best for him.
No not really; Luke Shaw came off a long term injury; and I think it is clear that he does not have the same zip in his step compared to Southampton. It can take time for someone to physically and mentally recover and the recovery often carries on after the bone itself has recovered.

Rashford has been given a lot of freedom and some would say too much freedom, he looks to be shooting from wherever he wants. Pogba and Lukaku have been backed to the walls by the manager.

Marcelo was fantastic under him. There is not much evidence that fullbacks are tactically limited under Mourinho.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
No not really; Luke Shaw came off a long term injury; and I think it is clear that he does not have the same zip in his step compared to Southampton. It can take time for someone to physically and mentally recover and the recovery often carries on after the bone itself has recovered.

Rashford has been given a lot of freedom and some would say too much freedom, he looks to be shooting from wherever he wants. Pogba and Lukaku have been backed to the walls by the manager.

Marcelo was fantastic under him. There is not much evidence that fullbacks are tactically limited under Mourinho.
I was thinking about the injury angle but its been so long since that I dismissed it because I feel like he was young enough physically to recover pretty well from it. Mentally, who knows. As far as José tactics go, maybe they play less of a role than I give them credit. And that Luke is not as gifted as Young and Marcelo going forward and might need a different setup offensively to thrive.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I was thinking about the injury angle but its been so long since that I dismissed it because I feel like he was young enough physically to recover pretty well from it. Mentally, who knows. As far as José tactics go, maybe they play less of a role than I give them credit. And that Luke is not as gifted as Young and Marcelo going forward and might need a different setup offensively to thrive.
It depends on your physiology, and a serious injury like a double leg break can permanently change the integrity of your leg and kinetic chain (hip and ankles). It's very possible that Shaw's physical game has to change because of the injury.

Arka_BleedingRed

He gets forward plenty of times, often overlaps the wide attacker and is actually quite good technically. It's just that after such a long time out with some games here and there, he is starting to adjust to regular playtime without getting tired at the end. Also, some improvement in the final third is required, both crossing and shot wise( has a powerful long shot in him, needs to aim better).

Comparisons with Marcelo and Young is unfair considering both of them are basically wingers( yes, Marcelo too), and are poor defensively than Shaw, also being at least 7 and 10 years older than him.

Man Utd 3:0 Stoke

nikineil

I'm quietly liking this fightback from Shaw. I think the Jose tough love is working.... Again.... Just like it did with Martial.. Just strengthens the belief that Jose is the one to take us forward.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
As always, great going forward, but gets a little muddled and lost when defending crosses and play down his side.
Because Martial is disappearing and we don't have an athletic DM to get over to support him. He's getting continually isolated.

Jonno

Because Martial is disappearing and we don't have an athletic DM to get over to support him. He's getting continually isolated.
I saw Jones tight on 1 player, and Shaw on his own, a cross then came in from that side and Ireland nearly stole a goal. It’s basic stuff you have to get right at left back

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I saw Jones tight on 1 player, and Shaw on his own, a cross then came in from that side and Ireland nearly stole a goal. It’s basic stuff you have to get right at left back
It's basic stuff not to leave a gaping hole in the defense if you haven't got cover.

Andersons Dietician

Having to go inside with Shaquiri is opening up that wing because Martial isn’t going back with Bauer and Matic isn’t covering across and letting people run off him like that Ireland shot. Overallthink he has been pretty decent but he should be balling out Martial or one of the midfielders.

Nickosaur

He's been bombing up and down that wing. His fitness has vastly improved, no doubt about that.

Bobski

I love his ability to pick up the ball, and with his change of pace and excellent close control, surge past 2-3 players and speed up the pitch. Instantly puts the opposition on the back foot and having to scramble to react, creating space and mismatches elsewhere. Invaluable ability, not many full backs in the game have that, plenty with tons of pace but not his technique.

Oscie

Did okay. Didn't think he was brilliant, didn't think he was shite. One of those 'alright' games footballers have

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
IIRC he makes the run taking on 3-4 defenders at least once in a game.

He should score goal asap, looks like he is getting desperate to break the duck. Overall he was very good. His crossing might be average to poor but he sees passes in the final third rather than blindly smashing the ball into the box.

arthurka

Good performance but was out of position couple of times in the first half.. Good to have him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.