Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Ok, he is fast, can pass, overlap, has a sense when to go forward and defensively is pretty good considering his age.

Now, can you just stick him wide with an hour of extra drill every day and learn him to cross. If Gary Neville could do it, he also can.

Btw. was wrong about him, I thought he gave up.

haram

Impressive that he is playing all these games back to back considering where he has been the last couple of years.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good to see him back and looking up with the pace. It's a tricky one after the break we have as to who should be first choice (assuming Valencia is back), Young has been better but Shaw is improving.

Will Absolute

He always looks as if he's playing within himself, to the point of seeming casual at times. One sign of a quality player perhaps. His heading constantly surprises me. He's not big, and doesn't look to be competing robustly in the air, but times his jump so well that he wins the ball more often than not, even finding a player in a red shirt with consistency.

lysglimt

Scout
Said it Before - and I ll say it again. If we give up Luke Shaw for Danny Rose, there is something seriously wrong with Mourinho.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
He is really powerful on the ball, defensively, positionally. Great to see him back. Let's wish him a goal next game.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Yeah there is no way we should be going for Rose, Shaw deserves the spot alongside Young until the end of the season. Our right side is far more of a concern because Valencia is now old, and let's face it, absolutely infuriating.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's gone from not being able to make the squad, to starting seven games on the bounce. Doing well too. Very happy for him, and long may it continue.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He's gone from not being able to make the squad, to starting seven games on the bounce. Doing well too. Very happy for him, and long may it continue.
Wow he's really started 7 games in a row? Talk about coming a long way.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wow he's really started 7 games in a row? Talk about coming a long way.
I lied. :wenger:

It's four. Has seven on whoscored, but doesn't show the games he wasn't involved in.

Games he's started on the bounce are Burnley, Southampton, Bristol and Derby, all in the space of 10 days.

DdeGoat

Luke Reborn!

Loving his performances. He makes our team so much better. Too bad Tony got injured, or we could have witnessed what's it's like having normal fullbacks attacking on both sides.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
For the first time since shaws injury I think a right back starter or at the very least someone to really push Valencia is more important than LB starter at the minute. Tierney or sessegnan would do nicely if Demi isn’t going to make the grade here but who knows. I’d say he needs a good loan or two before he gets games here.

ti vu

Good to see him back and looking up with the pace. It's a tricky one after the break we have as to who should be first choice (assuming Valencia is back), Young has been better but Shaw is improving.
We can always rotate Young. Young is good but it's not like he's setting the bar too high nor he has room to improve. Shaw is natural better defender than Young.

Last edited:

eat_grass

If he ducks, Huddlestone's shot is in the back of the net, right? Most players would have ducked. Great save, Luke!

Edit: "most players" doesn't include Pogba. He's actually moving his head into the ball's path, but misses.

Last edited:

TypeR

On this form, we'd be mad to go for Danny Rose. Luke Shaw playing within himself is already competing at the same level as Rose, and to my eyes, Shaw is still playing well within himself, at least compared to his best for us, however short of a stint that was.

One thing I'm very pleasantly surprised is how he's played several consecutive games now with no noticeable dip in performance, and I think that's a sign that he's learning how to pace himself better through games. That's something that I thought was missing from his game pre-and post-injury.

If he can build from here, I think we'll have a good-to-potentially-great LB in Shaw yet, although it's still unclear if he'll ever manage to fulfil the potential he had prior to the leg break.

Have to say, he still looks a tad too chunky though.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Very pleased at his run in the team. Finally it seems Jose trusts him, which is vital.

Just keep playing him and his level will keep going up. Bags of potential.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
"I remember vividly that Luke Shaw was absolutely rapid. It shocked me that I couldn't get near him. He was an absolute bullet, just amazing. From that moment, I had him as a benchmark for myself, in terms of how sharp he is. After that session, we had seen what we had to get to. Once we'd had a taste of it, then we all wanted more and more."
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...-was-shocked-by-luke-shaw-in-training.aspx?AL

Nice quote from Axel

Robbie Boy

So happy for Luke. I was gutted that it looked like it wouldn't work out for him here. I remember when we signed him I was proper buzzing as I felt he was one of the best young LB's in the game and we had that position sorted for the next decade! After his horrible injury it just didn't seem to go his way, sadly.

I'm so happy that he's worked his way back into the first team and put in some good performances. I'm really hoping that he can nail that position down and make it his own.

Antonedwin

Rose is 27 , injury prone & will cost us silly money.
If luke can maintain his Performance he deserve starting spot at LB with young as cover. Develop Mitchell if we could & we will save lot of money

redIndianDevil

We really have to give him another year before deciding on Rose or someone else. Young has another year left in him probably and Rose IMO has nowhere to go, he cannot move to Arsenal, Chelsea will buy Sandro plus they have Alonso, City just bought Mendy, Liverpool have Robertson and Moreno.

We should keep playing Shaw even after Young is back IMO, we have no chance for the title, at least we can develop our long term LB option.

marktan

Still think he has another level to go up in his career. He's only 22, and has been game starved recently. Technically he's excellent and imo he has the tools to reach Evra levels for us if given time and encouragement. To me he still looks a little reserved in his play compared to his earlier years, he's the type that can bomb down the left flank with the ball at his feet if he wanted too. But then that's how he broke his leg so that may be a reason for the hesitancy.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Still think he has another level to go up in his career. He's only 22, and has been game starved recently. Technically he's excellent and imo he has the tools to reach Evra levels for us if given time and encouragement. To me he still looks a little reserved in his play compared to his earlier years, he's the type that can bomb down the left flank with the ball at his feet if he wanted too. But then that's how he broke his leg so that may be a reason for the hesitancy.
@ the bolded - maybe, maybe not.

It sucks for Shaw that United will be in a win now mode next season so one thing for certain is there’s no way United don’t address the LB position. It’s far too big of a risk to bank on Shaw to solve our issues there so one way or another someone will have to be bought in. Wether it be a bonafide starter like Sandro or a rawer starting youngster like Tierney will be seen although I prefer the latter. Someone like Sandro all but means bye-bye to Shaw whereas Tierney allows for both to duke it out for first choice while creating healthy competition.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We really have to give him another year before deciding on Rose or someone else. Young has another year left in him probably and Rose IMO has nowhere to go, he cannot move to Arsenal, Chelsea will buy Sandro plus they have Alonso, City just bought Mendy, Liverpool have Robertson and Moreno.

We should keep playing Shaw even after Young is back IMO, we have no chance for the title, at least we can develop our long term LB option.
We don't have the time to give him another year. At most there'll be five months by which time the decision will be made as to whether give him a new contract or sell him to recoup some money.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
@ the bolded - maybe, maybe not.

It sucks for Shaw that United will be in a win now mode next season so one thing for certain is there’s no way United don’t address the LB position. It’s far too big of a risk to bank on Shaw to solve our issues there so one way or another someone will have to be bought in. Wether it be a bonafide starter like Sandro or a rawer starting youngster like Tierney will be seen although I prefer the latter. Someone like Sandro all but means bye-bye to Shaw whereas Tierney allows for both to duke it out for first choice while creating healthy competition.
So United shouldn’t rely on Shaw but should sign a player 2 years younger who has no experience in the PL. Shaw will be a better player than Tierney ever will. Quote me on that.

We don't have the time to give him another year. At most there'll be five months by which time the decision will be made as to whether give him a new contract or sell him to recoup some money.
Don’t have time? What is the massive rush? United have tried instant success for the past 4 years and haven’t won the league. Shaw is only 22 and he will become a great player, Mourinho will mold him into a world class left back.

He is 3 years younger than Lingard who has only just started to come good. Patience is needed.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
So United shouldn’t rely on Shaw but should sign a player 2 years younger who has no experience in the PL. Shaw will be a better player than Tierney ever will. Quote me on that.
This doesn’t mean anything. Shaw hasn’t proven anything for United.

“So United shouldn’t rely on Rashford but should sign a younger Mbappe who has no PL experience. Rashford will be a better player than Mbappe ever will. Quote me on that.”

...see how ridiculous and close minded you sound? Sorry but having a crush or belief in Shaw doesn’t mean he’ll end up working out cuz José has barely had the confidence to play him.

marktan

“So United shouldn’t rely on Rashford but should sign a younger Mbappe who has no PL experience. Rashford will be a better player than Mbappe ever will. Quote me on that.”

...see how ridiculous and close minded you sound? Sorry but having a crush or belief in Shaw doesn’t mean he’ll end up working out cuz José has barely had the confidence to play him.
That's not a good comparison at all, given that you now have the benefit of hindsight as to who's the better player between Rashford and Mbappe which makes it a no brainer. It's not about age at all in that comparison, it's about skill. May as well compare Rashford to Neymar.

I haven't watched much of Tierney but have heard he's promising, but I have a hard time believing he's better than a fit and running Shaw. Shaw pre-leg break looked great for us, and he was very good in the PL at a young age with Southampton. Given the games, direction and notwithstanding any new injuries, Shaw has all the technical ability to be a top player. We're already seeing glimpses of his talent this season when he's actually been given a run of games. I don't buy this BS that something's changed in his mentality for him to be given games - quite frankly its injury to Valencia and the ban to Young that's forced Mourinho's hand. Mourinho has this fixation on mentality as he had with KDB and Lukaku whilst he was at Chelsea, and imo causes him to overlook technically superior players.

Sandro I've only watched a little in the CL, and he looked ok, so I wouldn't mind if we did sign him. But frankly we have more important positions to reinforce (CM, an inconsistent and young attack) so if Shaw continues to get games this season and looks good I'm more than happy for him to get that spot next season.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

You specifically said it is too much of a risk to trust Shaw, then go on to say you would like United to buy a younger raw player who plays in the SPL. Anyone can look good in that league. So why would you think Shaw can’t be trusted but then want us to buy another unproven player? That would be more of a risk relying on Tierney than Shaw.

NK86

Don’t have time? What is the massive rush? United have tried instant success for the past 4 years and haven’t won the league. Shaw is only 22 and he will become a great player, Mourinho will mold him into a world class left back.

He is 3 years younger than Lingard who has only just started to come good. Patience is needed.
I think he is talking about Shaw's contract situation rather than his abilities. At least that's what I make of it as the situation stands.

MadMike

Had a look through this thread the other day https://www.redcafe.net/threads/luk...d-exit-the-times.433434/page-15#post-21911587 it’s good for a laugh. Obviously he still has a long way to go to cement his position but just looking at peoples thoughts from November about how he was done.
Depends how you mean it. I don't believe people thinking he was done at Utd was a harsh opinion or a difficult one to come to. He hadn't played in a very long time, the manager had hardly been complimentary of him when he played and his contract was running down. It's not as if people were jumping on his back, they were merely forming a reasonable opinion based on the variables.

If he does manage to establish himself here and get offered a new contract in the summer, then he'd have literally pulled himself back from the brink. I don't recall a player being so close to an unceremonious exit from a club salvaging it with basically 6 months left.

Kostov

Depends how you mean it. I don't believe people thinking he was done at Utd was a harsh opinion or a difficult one to come to. He hadn't played in a very long time, the manager had hardly been complimentary of him when he played and his contract was running down. It's not as if people were jumping on his back, they were merely forming a reasonable opinion based on the variables.

If he does manage to establish himself here and get offered a new contract in the summer, then he'd have literally pulled himself back from the brink. I don't recall a player being so close to an unceremonious exit from a club salvaging it with basically 6 months left.
There were posters claiming Darmian was a better option than Shaw. Not sure it was here or back when I was in the newbies, but some of the nonsense spouted was ridiculous.

POF

I am delighted with his form in his recent run of games. After watching him in the reserves look completely disinterested and in terrible shape I had given up hope that he had any future at the club. But he is looking extremely sharp just now and deserves a continued run in the side. I hope he continues to improve and earns his spot.

I've also been very impressed with Lindelof at right back in the last 2 games also. His quality when he gets forward is better than I expected. The form of both players has added some real options at full back. I will be surprised if either Darmian or Blind are at the club at the start of next season.

Andersons Dietician

pulled himself back from the brink. I don't recall a player being so close to an unceremonious exit from a club salvaging it with basically 6 months left.
None of that confirmed, just speculation. Jose had also said he was the best fullback at the club whilst he wasn’t playing and recovering. I mean if he thinks that, then would be odd to consider shipping him out.

Also go back further to the people saying he was a waste of a pay check, was never good, blah blah blah. There is quite a few of them.

Crimson King

Seems to put good crosses in on the floor but is fairly terrible when they have height on them.
This is what I noticed as well.

Anyway, good to seem him play well. Hope he continues this form.

Patrice Evra was the same. He couldn't whip a cross in from FB like Baines or G Nev in his prime, but his ability to get forward and pretty much act as a second winger was incredible, and often allowed Ronaldo/Nani the freedom to drift inside.

If Shaw can become anywhere near as potent an attacking FB as prime Evra he'll end up being a great signing.

Still a long way to go though.

Status
Not open for further replies.