Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The United

People talk about upgrading our FBs because they are not excellent in attack while completely forgetting that their main job is to defend which both of them are excellent at it in general.

I mean I want FBs who are good at both ends but you won't find them. So I am ok with them being good at their main job.

If anything, we need to look for better wide forwards atm.

Dan_F

I think he’s generally been pretty good until it comes to that end ball. He’s far more comfortable on the ball than AWB, and always seem to find himself drifting inside, but just can’t do anything cutting with the possession.

You can see why Liverpool get so much out of TAA as a playmaker.

el3mel

People talk about upgrading our FBs because they are not excellent in attack while completely forgetting that their main jobs is to defend which both of them are excellent at it in general.

I mean I want FBs who are good at both ends but you won't find them. So I am ok with them being good at their main job.

If anything, we need to look for better wide players atm.
Shaw isn't really as good in defending as say AWB. He has his moments defensively but overall, average all around.

Not a poor player but one player that if we can sign someone else in his place I'll gladly do.

NinjaFletch

Teams are happy to let him have the ball because they know he won't hurt them, and also overload his side because they see him as the weak link.

I'm not sure that's a great combination.

BlahRules

Shaw has a chance to attack the space in front of him but he would pass it side ways or cut inside to just pass it to a midfielder.

I am fed of people saying AWB need to improve his attacking play when Shaw does nothing attacking and is always toothless and afraid to commit.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Shaw has a chance to attack the space in front of him but he would pass it side ways or cut inside to just pass it to a midfielder.

I am fed of people saying AWB need to improve his attacking play when Shaw does nothing attacking and is always toothless and afraid to commit.
Today we scored from Shaw’s cross
Last game he set Ighalo through for an easy chance.
Game before he created a chance all by himself by winning position high up the pitch and feeding Martial in the box who forced an amazing save.

Aye, nothing.

RedIan

I thought he had a good game and had a good game midweek. Superb blistering pace running back when they were Through on a one on one Break - stopped an obvious goal scoring opp... a few of his critic Seem to have forgotten that. Looked good going forward, good link up play and has that burst of pace which is always a threat.

Ace of Spades

I thought he was fine. Probably needs a rest, but needs to do better in attack. His crossing technique is not good, apart from that he is strong, quick and does not lose the ball cheaply.

arnie_ni

Teams are happy to let him have the ball because they know he won't hurt them, and also overload his side because they see him as the weak link.

I'm not sure that's a great combination.
I mean he got the assist today

The United

Shaw isn't really as good in defending as say AWB. He has his moments defensively but overall, average all around.

Not a poor player but one player that if we can sign someone else in his place I'll gladly do.
AWB has a different strength. Better in 1 vs 1. And probably the best in the world. But, Shaw can be played as a left side CB which needs more than being good at 1 vs 1.

So, yes his defending is pretty good overall.

BlahRules

Today we scored from Shaw’s cross
Last game he set Ighalo through for an easy chance.
Game before he created a chance all by himself by winning position high up the pitch and feeding Martial in the box who forced an amazing save.

Aye, nothing.
The amount of attack was destroyed by him cutting inside or passing side is ridiculous. We need to upgrade the left back position but he is lucky it is not priority.

LJJT

He did ok today. He’s not high on the list of urgent upgrades but he will be in time if he doesn’t improve his attacking and positioning. Looked fit at least

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Shaw is just not good enough. He hovers around a 6/10 in terms of performances and that's just a notch below what we aspire to. I genuinely don't feel he's much better now than when he signed.

EC689908

I must be one of the few who thought Shaw had a pretty good game! Surely a doubt for Brighton though as he's played every single minute since the restart and we only have two full days rest.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm really disappointed with his return thus far. He seemed to be in a really good shape at first, but his mental attitude to the game is in question, imo. He is talented, and a lot of the stuff comes easy to him, he needs a bit more courage to actually make a consistent effort to keep that level up and improve further even if he doesn't like it.

RooneyLegend

Both fullback positions need an upgrade. They simply aren't providing the width we need given how narrow our attack is.

Andersons Dietician

Thought he was really good and probably our 2nd best player. Lots of offensive runs, good control of situations and good defending.
Again his run and ball creates a goal scoring oppertunity. It was nice to see him trying more crosses as well and mixing them up instead of the usual low cut back.

I just don’t see how people can be giving him any stick for that performance.

That ball to Williams was him trying to for a cross across the face of the goal and he got it wrong and it ended up at Williams. I thought that was fairly obvious.

Jesus. Just read the first few posts after the game in this thread and WOW!! must Have been watching a different game.

Last edited:

Revaulx

Thought he was really good and probably our 2nd best player. Lots of offensive runs, good control of situations and good defending.
Again his run and ball creates a goal scoring oppertunity. It was nice to see him trying more crosses as well and mixing them up instead of the usual low cut back.

I just don’t see how people can be giving him any stick for that performance.

That ball to Williams was him trying to for a cross across the face of the goal and he got it wrong and it ended up at Williams. I thought that was fairly obvious.

Jesus. Just read the first few posts after the game in this thread and WOW!! must Have been watching a different game.
Agree with this. I thought he was pretty poor in the first two games back, but did far more good than bad tonight. It’s almost like people have set opinions that they cling to despite evidence to the contrary ;)

Idxomer

I don't think he's great but he doesn't deserve the hate he gets here either. At least, he does the basics right and has a great first touch and his short passing is one of the best in the club. The problem is the way we play or should really, we need much more from our fullbacks. It's also insane how close he and Rashford are on the pitch sometimes, it's very static and makes both of them look clumsy and ineffective.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Did he not make a difference today?

Assist and saving a virtually certain goal?
Compare to the top teams full backs over the last ten years.

Marcelo
Alaba
Alba
Walker
Trent
Kahn
Azpi
Cole
Evra
Zabaleta

Then compare Luke's ability, talent, development and ceiling.

I'm not trashing him but I think we can do better.

Brightonian

Really not sure what his critics are watching. He barely put a foot wrong against Norwich. Technically pristine, strong, fast, works hard, his football intelligence has come on hugely over the years such that he now seems to read the game really well. Not primarily an attacking player, but no full back was going to be the player to break down a parked bus like Norwich in that second half and extra time. It was on the forwards to do that. Fullbacks attack into space, and when there was some he did that with plenty of gusto.

Some people have just formed an idea of him and what they're actually watching no longer registers. He's an excellent footballer.

Brightonian

Compare to the top teams full backs over the last ten years.

Marcelo
Alaba
Alba
Walker
Trent
Kahn
Azpi
Cole
Evra
Zabaleta

Then compare Luke's ability, talent, development and ceiling.

I'm not trashing him but I think we can do better.
But you said 'he'll never make a difference.' Then @arnie_ni pointed out that he literally did exactly that, with an assist and a goal-saving tackle today. Now you're just listing the names of a load of fullbacks as if that's some kind of point.

This Football Manager obsession with all fullbacks being glorified wingers because that's what Liverpool currently have is the most childish thing currently happening on this forum. We have a huge asset in probably the two most defensively gifted fullbacks in the whole league. They give our forwards incredible license to attack freely with very minimal defensive responsibilities. They get our midfielders and even CBs off the hook constantly. But no. 'Sell them. Buy Alphonso Davies, whose name I first heard eighteen months ago.'

Good managers know how to use the strengths of their existing players. They don't just fantasise about replacing their entire squad with some pale impersonation of whichever team is currently top of the pile.

Last edited:

DarkXaero

If he can improve his decisiveness in the final third, that alone would improve him tremendously in attack. He's comfortable on the ball, he can carry it for distances, and while he's not a flashy dribbler, he stays in control on the ball. But too often (and this was the case today as well), he dwells on the ball, and gets lost on what he should do in the final third. He can't make up his mind whether he wants to cross or play a pass to center or look for the overlap. I think it stems from lack of confidence generally. He's not the best crosser of the ball, but he also isn't terrible. He can't really do floating crosses, but he can do a decent job with low crosses.

arnie_ni

But you said 'he'll ever make a difference.' Then @arnie_ni pointed out that he literally did exactly that, with an assist and a goal-saving tackle today. Now you're just listing the names of a load of fullbacks as if that's some kind of point.

This Football Manager obsession with all fullbacks being glorified wingers because that's what Liverpool currently have is the most childish thing currently happening on this forum. We have a huge asset in probably the two most defensively gifted fullbacks in the whole league. They give our forwards incredible license to attack freely with very minimal defensive responsibilities. They get our midfielders and even CBs off the hook constantly. But no. 'Sell them. Buy Alphonso Davies, whose name I first heard eighteen months ago.'

Good managers know how to use the strengths of their existing players. They don't just fantasise about replacing their entire squad with some pale impersonation of whichever team is currently top of the pile.
Dont think anymore needs said. Prefect post

Sylar

He's... Acceptable
This isn't meant as a negative or positive post
He's just that. I don't know the reason but we could do better IMO and should do better

The annoying thing is, and this may sound harsh, once he has real competition or coming to contract negotiations it seems like he gives more of a shit.
Just my opinion though

Status
Not open for further replies.