Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

Then you can explain why his poor stats (Chillwel has more goals this season than Shaw has in his entire career) is good enough for Manchester United. Shaw was 6 yesterday, which he is most of the time. Never more, seldom less. Thay may be easier to accept if he was flawless defensively, which he isn't. My biggest problem is that he's lazy and comfortable, two characteristics a United player never can have. Sorry.
Explain to me how goals are the requirement for a good fullback?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
By that criteria, Lingard, Fred, Mctominay, Mata are absolute amateurs and Rashford is a bit shit as well.
I agree, none of these guys, along with Shaw, were great yesterday, Hence why we struggled to win 1-2.
That's not to say I'm unhappy with the performance in general: it was first match in ages for many, playing in a team of odds and ends, which is always liable to play out this way.

Mickson

Explain to me how goals are the requirement for a good fullback?
It's 2020. A full-back needs to score or at least provide with assists, Shaw does neither. He is shell-shocked in the final third. It's not that hard, you can just compare him with other top clubs FB and see the difference (City aside).

arthurka

Can't have a player looking for some form for 2/3 of the season and plays in some form about 10-15 games a season the most. I just don't like his approach to the game. He is a nothing special player not good attacking and a ok defender. But he always looks like he could've become something special.

Morpheus 7

The shape of this place as usual. He's not been good enough. There is no threat when he goes down the flank. His crossing is abysmal, we are suppose to get excited because he's finally done an overlap. He's caught out of position so much defensively. He rarely gets an assist or goal, AWB isn't great at crossing but least he's lightning quick and hard to beat defensively. People are still hoping for his pre leg break form. He's not a good full back anymore, looks for the easy option and is simply too slow, no risk. He's great in a 3 at the back because it requires less running. Shaw can read the game okay but not got the engine to get up and down/delivery and most importantly the bravery to beat the last man consistently when it counts. Why are we settling for just okay?

Andersons Dietician

It's 2020. A full-back needs to score or at least provide with assists, Shaw does neither. He is shell-shocked in the final third. It's not that hard, you can just compare him with other top clubs FB and see the difference (City aside).
He should have had at least a couple of assists in the last 2 games alone. Probably should have had one in the spurs game as well. He’s contributing and I’m not saying he can’t do better there but it’s a joke for people to ignore the fact that he is creating the opportunities.
He also is getting in positions to score goals. Although that’s not what I judge a fullback on. He is also a country mile better defender than Chillwell and someone that can actually read a game.

Robertson is a better player in my opinion but after that Shaw is probably the best LB in the country. Heck even the Leicster fans say Chillwell is massively overated and having seen him this season and the countless errors he makes per game and just moments of terrible defending I’m prone to agree.

Last edited:

Raven

Here and the Martial thread are probably the two biggest cesspits on all of the CAF. It’s like the troll mecha.
He was good yesterday, did everything even found himself getting around the 6 yarder looking for a ball to be played through for him after an overlap.

I’m convinced most in this thread don’t even watch the games and just whip out a load of cliches so they can keep up their moan quota for a player they don’t like. Some of the posts are an embarrassment.

Yesterday, he made runs in to the box, out wide, going inside or outside of Lingard, Rashford whoever was on his side. He went to the byline tried to put in crosses, he went past people, he tried longer crosses from a deeper position, he tried cutbacks, he played nice passes in to players in dangerous areas then moved in to dangerous areas himself.

He made a block, he made interceptions, spotted danger and made a run to get back to cover us when our CB was in trouble as well as a few other moments he covered for Maguire.

How anyone can watch yesterday’s performance and say he was poor is ridiculous.

heck he should have had 2 assists yesterday. @Majima its a pointless battle but Props for having the patience to deal with some of these posts.
It absolutely embarrassing. Martial and Pogba are tearing shit up so everyone's having a pop off Shaw, who has also been a 6/7 in every game, which is exactly what I want from my fullback, consistent and reliable.

arnie_ni

When you look at liverpool they can play those fullbacks because of their midfield 3.

If we want pogba and bruno in our team our fullbacks need to defend first to get the best out of them.

You almost play a formation like this.

2 cb
Dm and 2 fullbacks.
2 attacking mids with minimal defensive duties
Front 3

2 3 2 3 formation defending higher up the pitch

This is why im ok with shaw and awb.

If a front 5 if martial rash pogba bruno and hopefully sancho cant score enough goals then youve a bigger problem than your fullbacks.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Another thread full of people struggling with reality. Fair play to you @Majima for fighting the good fight, and by that i mean actually watching the match and providing a balanced view. I have no idea why people feel the need to lie and hyperbolise about our players. Jamal Lewis, twice the player... Jesus.
Here and the Martial thread are probably the two biggest cesspits on all of the CAF. It’s like the troll mecha.
He was good yesterday, did everything even found himself getting around the 6 yarder looking for a ball to be played through for him after an overlap.

I’m convinced most in this thread don’t even watch the games and just whip out a load of cliches so they can keep up their moan quota for a player they don’t like. Some of the posts are an embarrassment.

Yesterday, he made runs in to the box, out wide, going inside or outside of Lingard, Rashford whoever was on his side. He went to the byline tried to put in crosses, he went past people, he tried longer crosses from a deeper position, he tried cutbacks, he played nice passes in to players in dangerous areas then moved in to dangerous areas himself.

He made a block, he made interceptions, spotted danger and made a run to get back to cover us when our CB was in trouble as well as a few other moments he covered for Maguire.

How anyone can watch yesterday’s performance and say he was poor is ridiculous.

heck he should have had 2 assists yesterday. @Majima its a pointless battle but Props for having the patience to deal with some of these posts.
Cheers lads. I think if there's one match Shaw doesn't deserve any stick for, it was yesterday's match. He was going for it with a lot more conviction whenever we had the ball yesterday. That's what everyone wants from him, so I thought it was only fair for him to get deserved praise for doing that.

When was the last time we saw Rashford making lung busting runs back to tackle? The fact he hardly ever has to, is a credit to Shaw's control of the left flank. Rashford literally has the freedom to focus on just attacking the high majority of the time. It hardly ever gets mentioned but i bet if anyone spoke to Rashford about him, he would be full of praise for just that.

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
But you said 'he'll never make a difference.' Then @arnie_ni pointed out that he literally did exactly that, with an assist and a goal-saving tackle today. Now you're just listing the names of a load of fullbacks as if that's some kind of point.

This Football Manager obsession with all fullbacks being glorified wingers because that's what Liverpool currently have is the most childish thing currently happening on this forum. We have a huge asset in probably the two most defensively gifted fullbacks in the whole league. They give our forwards incredible license to attack freely with very minimal defensive responsibilities. They get our midfielders and even CBs off the hook constantly. But no. 'Sell them. Buy Alphonso Davies, whose name I first heard eighteen months ago.'

Good managers know how to use the strengths of their existing players. They don't just fantasise about replacing their entire squad with some pale impersonation of whichever team is currently top of the pile.
"That's what Liverpool have" - and all those teams who's fullbacks I listed.

"He made a difference" - yeah, in a game he made a defensive contribution. In a game. Over the course of a season, he will not do enough or do nowhere near as much as top level full backs.

"Alphonso Davies" - Did I mention him? I'm not after the latest flavour of the month. Moreso that Luke Shaw will not be a top team full back, which is fine but shouldn't be defending him as if he is the second coming of Carlos.

"Defensively gifted" - where his CB and Captain was having to bollock him and yelling "switch on" in the previous game?

So meh, I disagree.

Brighton 0:3 Man Utd

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I was critical of him from the weekend and think I was justified, as he showed tonight what a good performance looks like.

Really happy with his effort, attacking runs and use of the ball. This is the standard he needs to hit every game.

Well done Luke!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Much better today, hoping to see more positive runs in the game from him, getting in behind the defence, making them turn towards goal and then play a ball the forwards can attack.

If he plays like today and develops a little more he'll be the player we thought he could be.

Hoping he can develop a little more, do it 90 minutes per game, every game.

el3mel

He did really some brilliant runs behind defenders in the first half. Gave them some thing to worry about. More of this please.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Usually a big critic but he was really good today, some good cutback crosses but most importantly his forward runs were great, especially considering he played 120 minutes a few days before.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Very good fullback play. Linked well with the attackers too. If he can play like that consistently then I'd be pleased, but we do need to see more consistency.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was really good today. Worked his socks off and provided support to Rashy on the Right. Some really good runs in there as well

criticalanalysis

Usually a big critic but he was really good today, some good cutback crosses but most importantly his forward runs were great, especially considering he played 120 minutes a few days before.
He's really got the Rooney body conundrum where he isn't disciplined enough or has the right training aproach to be match fit and just need constant minutes to keep his powerful body with lots of intensity cardio.

Thought he did very well today. Still has a tendancy to dwell/take an age to get the ball out of his feet, which is specific to him but then also much of the team tbh.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Ran them ragged on the inside, got to the byline a few times and looked decent defensively too. Well done.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That's his best performance since the restart.

Kag

I wish he’d make those runs more often. He’s clearly capable going forward but needs to do it more regularly. His defending is never an issue for me.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Better tonight but doesn’t matter, we need a world class LB and Luke’s not it

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's played well in every game since returning. There's a reason he's the only player other than Maguire and Bruno to start every game since returning despite us having another good option in Williams.

Sylar

I was critical of him from the weekend and think I was justified, as he showed tonight what a good performance looks like.

Really happy with his effort, attacking runs and use of the ball. This is the standard he needs to hit every game.

Well done Luke!
I think this is fair. I would say today was better than precious games and I count today as good, or really good. Wanna see more of those runs when he gets to the byline for the pull back cross. Lots of goals to be had by doing that

SambaBoy

Watched all the games since the restart, bar the Norwich game. I think he's been very good in both aspects going forward and defensively. Still see him getting lots of stick which is unfair, he hasn't really put a foot wrong. Some people just have it in for him, and will probably take a few more good performances before they admit he's been good, same happened with Matic.

Icemav

Was really good today. Worked his socks off and provided support to Rashy on the Right. Some really good runs in there as well
Yep. Got a bit of stick for (over) praising him against Sheffield but its clear that he is in form and running his socks off. He also has some quality.

I personally dont see anything to complain about for the time being.

Mostly very good yesterday, partly down to a proper understanding with AWB. They were alternating going forward and never once got mixed up.

Fracture90

Our thicc boye gets a lot of criticism here, but he's doing his job very well imo.

Only thing i hold against him is his tendency to get booked for dumb fouls. He's gotta be more sly with those.

Andersons Dietician

He was good today but he was doing all the same things against Norwich, Sheffield United and Spurs so it’s weird to see people praising him saying he did something different when he was just doing what he does every game.

Rashford on this occasion decided to pass to him more than go on his own and try to cut in.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Usually, I don't jump on the bipolar hype-train of Player X is the best thing since sliced bread this week to get him out of our club next week.

With Shaw, I am just not seeing it. I agree with all the comments from last night's game about his attacking contribution. Defensively though his positional sense needs a lot of improvement. A lot of opposition attack always comes down our right side with verticles in behind Shaw.

Andersons Dietician

Usually, I don't jump on the bipolar hype-train of Player X is the best thing since sliced bread this week to get him out of our club next week.

With Shaw, I am just not seeing it. I agree with all the comments from last night's game about his attacking contribution. Defensively though his positional sense needs a lot of improvement. A lot of opposition attack always comes down our right side with verticles in behind Shaw.
There is a reason for that and it’s the tactics deployed so Rashford doesn’t have to come back and defend.

Matic fills the space in behind Shaw when he can. He doesn’t always. Last night there was a great example where Matic can’t get across and Rashford just lets his man go and doesn’t bother to go back and Shaw has to leave the man he was marking to try and cover the two attacking the right side.

Thats not Shaw having poor positioning it’s a symptom of the tactics. This happens in almost every game where he will have 2 or 3 he needs to defend against.

Personally I think Shaw is the best all round defender we have. Good in the air, reads the game well, strong and fast great in 1 vs 1’s and seems to sniff out danger.

Raven

There is a reason for that and it’s the tactics deployed so Rashford doesn’t have to come back and defend.

Matic fills the space in behind Shaw when he can. He doesn’t always. Last night there was a great example where Matic can’t get across and Rashford just lets his man go and doesn’t bother to go back and Shaw has to leave the man he was marking to try and cover the two attacking the right side.

Thats not Shaw having poor positioning it’s a symptom of the tactics. This happens in almost every game where he will have 2 or 3 he needs to defend against.

Personally I think Shaw is the best all round defender we have. Good in the air, reads the game well, strong and fast great in 1 vs 1’s and seems to sniff out danger.
Yeah, I'd probably agree with all of this. Shaw's a great player in general but is really good to watch too when he's in top form.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If he can do what he's done the last 2 games on a weekly basis (and improve season by season) then there's no problems with him at all.

Good performance again.

Idxomer

The unexpected calamity on the right side today should maybe make people appreciate his defending game and style more.

Also 2nd season in a row with more than 30 games, happy for him.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Another good performance from him. I love how he provides a positive passing option to Rashford on the LW

Status
Not open for further replies.