Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Obiorahking_

Don't get me wrong, I think Shaw has been really good especially defensively, but ideally as someone mentioned we should have at least one fullback who is really good at attacking and neither Shaw or AWB fit that bill. But, both are still young and could eventually develop that aspect of game...

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Doesn't seem like he even lost it in the first place. Seen him match Dennis for speed in our games against Brugge and Dennis is probably one of the fastest players in the game today.
Shaw is still very fast, but pre PSV he was absolutely lightning, Daniel James-esque with similar acceleration.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hes 6'1" according to wiki, not massive but a fair size for a centre back
Is he?! I swear he was 5'11.
He is, my friend met him before he signed for United shopping and got a photo. He's 6'1 also and they were identical height.

Standing near Maguire whos 6'4 and has a massive head will probably make you seem small.

criticalanalysis

Shaw is still very fast, but pre PSV he was absolutely lightning, Daniel James-esque with similar acceleration.
If he has lost any pace or acceleration I think it's a small difference. The 'problem' is that he doesn't get himself into enough advantageous positions with the speed he has. I can't blame him for not wanting to go full sprint but he definitely holding back or just being lazy / lacking game intelligence. To be fair our attacking play isn't exactly the best coached so there''s that but at least it does seem Ole has asked more from his full backs.

thepolice123

Tbf he definitely looked lighter and more nimble back then. Currently even our size L jersey look too tight on him.

He is, my friend met him before he signed for United shopping and got a photo. He's 6'1 also and they were identical height.

Standing near Maguire whos 6'4 and has a massive head will probably make you seem small.
Impossible to tell unless they are standing upright and side by side.

This is him beside Blind:

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What I realised & watched recently, he's becoming more matured. Not only his performance but also I saw few times he gave direction to his team mate where to go or what to do. Normally he's the one who is being told what to do. Hopefully this is not just a short good syndrome moment, let's hope it continues and also improving.

Odin

I once had a brilliant colleague who did a mistake on a stressful day. It cost him for the rest of his time at our company. Luke Shaw getting bullied by Mourinho may (or may not) have made him unable to fulfill his potential. Most of us perform better backed by someone believing in us than under mocking and heavy scrutiny. This is even more so a factor when your task is to be creative and respond intuitively to new challenges. Any chance this element is part of the explanation?
The challenge from Brandon Williams may have contributed. From own experience, complacency surely comes with feeling set in a comfortable spot, but it is even more prevalent when you have been stripped of pride and the feeling of responsibility. Being publicly told by your worldwide renowned genius boss that you are only a body in need of being spoonfed instructions... This surely must have an impact on self-confidence, or what?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fair play to you Luke. Excellent form and really starting to turn his career around.

I am constantly getting told I look like him too so it's great when he is in good form at least :lol:

Web of Bissaka

I once had a brilliant colleague who did a mistake on a stressful day. It cost him for the rest of his time at our company. Luke Shaw getting bullied by Mourinho may (or may not) have made him unable to fulfill his potential. Most of us perform better backed by someone believing in us than under mocking and heavy scrutiny. This is even more so a factor when your task is to be creative and respond intuitively to new challenges. Any chance this element is part of the explanation?
The challenge from Brandon Williams may have contributed. From own experience, complacency surely comes with feeling set in a comfortable spot, but it is even more prevalent when you have been stripped of pride and the feeling of responsibility. Being publicly told by your worldwide renowned genius boss that you are only a body in need of being spoonfed instructions... This surely must have an impact on self-confidence, or what?
What are you on about

Shaw's first back to good form was in Mou's 3rd season, he's arguably our best player in that season then for some reason, at the end of that season under Ole till end 2019 he was so bad. Around Feb this year he's back to good form.

Odin

What are you on about

Shaw's first back to good form was in Mou's 3rd season, he's arguably our best player in that season then for some reason, at the end of that season under Ole till end 2019 he was so bad. Around Feb this year he's back to good form.
Mourinho saying Luke Shaw was only a body playing at his instructions? Is my recollection of that all wrong? Shaw being solid under Mourinho may still not have had him playing freely and intuitively, which I believe is required in a fluid, pacey, attacking modern side. Hence, he may not have developed his best footballing abilities in Mourinho's system. Thus, it would take some time to adapt to a new system. But I may be all wrong - as may all the posters slating Fred, Matic, Shaw, Martial, Pogba, ...

Mourinho talked about his achievements with the squad, leaving no glory to his players. It was all about the system, his system. OGS says it's down to the players and their abilities. They are required to play with belief in their own abilities AND trust in their teammates. They are getting there. Luke Shaw benefits hugely from this because of his natural physical abilities. As a United supporter, I'm happy for him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Whilst for some it may look good to be slim, Shaw has always been quite bulky, especially since being here anyway. Main thing for me is his stamina, and he's never had any issues with that on the pitch. People used to say the same about Rooney, yet he arguably ran the most on the pitch.

That said, its nice to see he has toned up abit. He was in exceptional form before the pandemic hit. Hopefully he can pick up where he left off.

acnumber9

Main thing for me is his stamina, and he's never had any issues with that on the pitch.
Oh he most definitely has. He gets booked 10 plus times a season and it’s always for pulling somebody down from behind because he can’t get back.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Main thing for me is his stamina, and he's never had any issues with that on the pitch.
What? I like Shaw but that's literally his biggest problem. He couldn't finish the game playing at CB earlier in the season, he looked exhausted.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Whilst for some it may look good to be slim, Shaw has always been quite bulky, especially since being here anyway. Main thing for me is his stamina, and he's never had any issues with that on the pitch. People used to say the same about Rooney, yet he arguably ran the most on the pitch.

That said, its nice to see he has toned up abit. He was in exceptional form before the pandemic hit. Hopefully he can pick up where he left off.
I think he has had stamina issues for sure. I remember a point earlier in the season when players were breezing past him with jogs. At that point I wanted him out the club but he’s shown that when he’s fit he can be a top defender.

Walters_19_MuFc

Good response. Would debate again.
I felt the fact that you used yellow cards to prove your point wasn't worth a response, if I'm being honest.

What? I like Shaw but that's literally his biggest problem. He couldn't finish the game playing at CB earlier in the season, he looked exhausted.
If you're referring to the CIty game, I'd prefer if you didn't make things up. He was taken off because Ole went with a different system, as we were simply chasing the game. The other games he's played at centre back, he's played the full game.

I think he has had stamina issues for sure. I remember a point earlier in the season when players were breezing past him with jogs. At that point I wanted him out the club but he’s shown that when he’s fit he can be a top defender.
Haha, some of you lot know how to exaggerate. Can't say I remember it myself, but I remember there being something about him being one of our fittest players.

I wouldn't personally say he's less fit than our other full backs. I think people focus on it more simply because of his body structure.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Haha, some of you lot know how to exaggerate. Can't say I remember it myself, but I remember there being something about him being one of our fittest players.

I wouldn't personally say he's less fit than our other full backs. I think people focus on it more simply because of his body structure.
Was last season. But clearly you can see here he didn’t have the fitness level. I want him to do well but you have to accept that at times he wasn’t professional enough.

Last edited:

acnumber9

I felt the fact that you used yellow cards to prove your point wasn't worth a response, if I'm being honest.

If you're referring to the CIty game, I'd prefer if you didn't make things up. He was taken off because Ole went with a different system, as we were simply chasing the game. The other games he's played at centre back, he's played the full game.

Watch how often he gets booked for doing it. A three year old article may not be the evidence you need when faced with what we can see in front of us.

Walters_19_MuFc

Was last season. But clearly you can see here he didn’t have the fitness level. I want him to do well but you have to accept that at times he wasn’t professional enough.

Is that lack of stamina or laziness? I could find several clips of players doing the same. Pogba is the king of it, bless him. I've also seen Wan-Bissaka jogging back like that this season but I haven't got the time to find it.

Walters_19_MuFc

Watch how often he gets booked for doing it. A three year old article may not be the evidence you need when faced with what we can see in front of us.
He has the same amount of yellow cards as Wan-Bissaka and Williams.

As for the article, my point was that, even when he was quite bulky and people often labelled him 'fat' or 'overweight', he was amongst our fittest players.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Regarding his body, in some ways I think it's quite beneficial. Like, with him having a wider frame, and a big butt, it really helps him shield and protect the ball under pressure as opposition players struggle to get near the ball to dispossess him. I think he's one of our better players at dealing with pressing opposition and that's one of the reasons why.

acnumber9

He has the same amount of yellow cards as Wan-Bissaka and Williams.

As for the article, my point was that, even when he was quite bulky and people often labelled him 'fat' or 'overweight', he was amongst our fittest players.
1 more than Wan Bissaka in all competitions despite playing less games but the number isn’t the point. It’s how they are almost always because somebody has run in behind him and he pulls them down because he can’t get back. If you can’t see it that’s fine but don’t be surprised when his next booking is for doing just that.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Is that lack of stamina or laziness? I could find several clips of players doing the same. Pogba is the king of it, bless him. I've also seen Wan-Bissaka jogging back like that this season but I haven't got the time to find it.
For me it would be worse if it was laziness, at least if he wasn't physically capable at the time you could excuse it. But like I said, I'm a fan of Shaw and this isn't an argument I want to be in - in the first place. I hope he continues where he was when he was last playing. Also don't think it hurts having Brandon give him some competition.

The past is the past. Sorry to derail this thread with performances of the past.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Your english bias is embarassing. You literally can't criticise anything that has to do with any Englosh player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Can't even complain about Shaw's body. What's going on.

The difference of his cheek between his profile picture and that picture itself is massive. Junk food are closed during pandemic right? May be that’s the reason. No more hamburger.

Andersons Dietician

One of our fastest players who is great in one on ones and one of the best we have at reading the game gets caught out all the time for shirt pulling Because he gets beat all the time and can’t keep up with people. Something doesn’t add up.

izec

The difference of his cheek between his profile picture and that picture itself is massive. Junk food are closed during pandemic right? May be that’s the reason. No more hamburger.
yep, no drunken nights with the lads and fast food eating for Luke for a couple of months. Was probably the hardest time in his life, not being able to stuff in the cheeseburgers on a regular basis.

criticalanalysis

I'm a 'fan' Shaw but there's been quite a few occasions, where he always look lean and atheletic in pictures pre-season/coming back from injury etc.

Then when we expect him to be bombing up and down during games, he's seems to playing within himself or isn't moving as much as we want/hope.

He's got the technique and attributes but I'm just waiting for that moment to 'click' like that glorious run of games under LVG and pre leg break :(

acnumber9

One of our fastest players who is great in one on ones and one of the best we have at reading the game gets caught out all the time for shirt pulling Because he gets beat all the time and can’t keep up with people. Something doesn’t add up.
If you can’t remember the numerous times it’s happened before, watch out for it the rest of this season.

Brightonian

Is there a reason why a picture - of a player who's been in really good form for much of this season - shows him looking in really good shape, and everyone takes this as a prompt to start throwing a lot of genuinely unpleasant vitriol at him?

As Manchester United fans, it would make more sense to focus on the fact that recently this player has been much improved, and that right now he has clearly been admirably committed to his fitness, rather than that three seasons ago, prompted by a manager trying to take the heat off his own consistent failures, we all decided he 'likes a hamburger too much', or whatever.

To be clear, this is not me weighing in on how good or not good Luke Shaw is or has been. I don't give a shit how you rate him. Just a plea to try and a) treat him like a human being and b) not actively hunt for the negative angle on everything United-related all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.