Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
One of our fastest players who is great in one on ones and one of the best we have at reading the game gets caught out all the time for shirt pulling Because he gets beat all the time and can’t keep up with people. Something doesn’t add up.
Sometimes it's just decision making. I remember in one of our last games (I have a vague recollection of it being against City but could be wrong) he ran back quite some way and made up a lot of ground on the attacker, and if he'd kept a foot to the side he would easily have overtaken him and been able to win the ball cleanly. Instead as he closed in on him he went in right behind the striker so he couldn't win the ball cleanly so he just did his usual trick of pulling him back and conceding a dangerous free kick.

izec

I'm a 'fan' Shaw but there's been quite a few occasions, where he always look lean and atheletic in pictures pre-season/coming back from injury etc.

Then when we expect him to be bombing up and down during games, he's seems to playing within himself or isn't moving as much as we want/hope.

He's got the technique and attributes but I'm just waiting for that moment to 'click' like that glorious run of games under LVG and pre leg break :(
Some people will tell you that period was overrated, but it wasn't. He was fantastic, the perfect mix of bombing forward and being good defensively. He was on the road in becoming world class when i watched him at that time. He was flying and one of our best players overall.
That leg break changed him, as you said, something is missing. He is not bad, but given his potential, i feel like he is holding back. It is not easy to overcome such an injury, but i sometimes feel like he is happy with giving only 90%. If he would be fully committed on and off the pitch, i have no doubts he would improve quite a bit. That is a bit frustrating and why i sometimes speak negatively about him, when it is deserved.

Raven

I think its pretty clear that almost all of our players are in pretty much the best shape of their careers, Ole has them all buying into the new culture. It's particularly evident with Shaw because he has a Rooney body but everyone is clearly a lot fitter than last season.

criticalanalysis

Some people will tell you that period was overrated, but it wasn't. He was fantastic, the perfect mix of bombing forward and being good defensively. He was on the road in becoming world class when i watched him at that time. He was flying and one of our best players overall.
That leg break changed him, as you said, something is missing. He is not bad, but given his potential, i feel like he is holding back. It is not easy to overcome such an injury, but i sometimes feel like he is happy with giving only 90%. If he would be fully committed on and off the pitch, i have no doubts he would improve quite a bit. That is a bit frustrating and why i sometimes speak negatively about him, when it is deserved.
Yes on the one hand, I'd give him benefit of the doubt because he's only really had a run of consistent games since Ole has been in. On the other, he should have gone 'beast' mode even post leg-break if he was really commited and determined. He has all the technical and physical ability to just tear up that entire flank if he wants to.

Kag

Downright irresponsible, that was. Three months off and you come on to saunter about like that. Do one.

Ekeke

Good performance overall, saved us at the back twice and still getting forward to support play late on. The best of our backline today

izec

He was bad in the first half. Not in attack and not at the back. I saw him jogging back half the time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Good performance overall, saved us at the back twice and still getting forward to support play late on. The best of our backline today
I thought he did well until it came to passing the ball... Which to be fair was an artform beyond a lot of our players today.

el3mel

He was absolutely terrible in the first half but improved a ton defensively in second half. Good for him.

King Andow

Good performance? The guy can't pass a fecking football and broke so many plays with his shit decision making. Williams should start ahead of him next game.

Rajma

I cannot stand him, everything about him puts me off from brainless passes to no positional sense in any area of the pitch.

Toni Roncoroni

I thought he did well until it came to passing the ball... Which to be fair was an artform beyond a lot of our players today.
His passing and decision making lets him down all the time. Really frustrating to watch. Needs to learn the game as it seems that he has no idea what to do with the ball. At this stage of his career he should be doing a lot better imo.

Kag

He was out of position on each occasion he saved us. I like Shaw, but he was shite.

Ekeke

He was out of position on each occasion he saved us. I like Shaw, but he was shite.
Good thing he was out of position then, nobody else was saving us. Thats the entire point of covering, you take someone else's position where they arent where they need to be

Toni Roncoroni

This game yes, but he's normally one of the best in the squad with his short passing. Unless you are specifically talking about his final ball into the box (which comes back to the decision making that you mentioned).
You are right. I meant this game in specific. Maybe I am so frustrated with him sometimes because I think he would have the tools to be a really good player. Sometimes it seams as he isn‘t seeing spaces or pass options.

OleBoiii

Good second half.

To the people giving him shit for the first half: he had to cover two players at the same time. Mourinho, surprisingly, made a gamble and essentially played with a back-three. Shaw didn't make a single wrong decision, but covering two players alone is hard.

Andersons Dietician

He was kinda left hung out to dry by Rashford, Rashford was just letting Aurier go and not even making an attempt to go back with him. Bergion going inside so Shaw had to follow across leaving Aurier the whole left side to himself.

Saw Evra saying he should chest the ball down before the goal but I mean to do that when you’ve got your eyes on the ball you really need someone to tell you you’ve got time and I didn’t hear anyone say anything. Was a poor choice to move forward in that situation before Rashford makes contact with the ball.

Looked decent going forward but the end product has to be better or the choice needs to be better.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He got better as the went on. He provided a outlet on the left wing which also opened up passing options for our midfielders. All in all he was good going forward with all things considered.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He got sucked into the center routinely in the first half inexplicably.

Perhaps it was tactical but my God what was he thinking.

second half he showed his limitations going forward. Why does he NEVER bomb down to the by line?

he doesn't beat his man and he doesn't/can't cross. This is forgivable if you're a wall like our RB but he is not.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
While he did some good defensive work I was very disappointed by his positioning and effort tonight, he’s a much better player than he showed tonight, perhaps we need Williams to give him a big kick up the arse again.

Tarrou

I came into the thread thinking most would be happy with the performance. I thought he did quite well.

Aurier was left unmarked consistently, so Shaw had two men to cover. He could hardly let his man go central without covering, just to cover the space in the full-back position that Aurier ran into. Rashford should be tracking him.

RonaldoVII

Shite in the first half, better in the 2nd, although still questionable positionally and obvious what he's going to do in attack. He'll do for now but not good enough long term.

Litch

Whether he improved in the second half or not, he is no way good enough for us going forward (in both ways). He is so predictable in his play and no he's going to always come inside. He rarely attacks the space in front of him and dribbles into congested areas. Yes made some good defensive plays but isn't that what he's suppose to do? He's a shadow of the player pre injury. Williams needs to start....

11reds

Felt Jose saw Shaw as weakness and targeted him. Jose does that all the time in big games. Did Jose make a comment about Shaw a while back more or less saying best of luck to Maguire with Shaw as left back?

He is an okay player but not good enough for where United need to be.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's not that good defensively, for a supposedly defensive fullback. Set one good chance for Martial though.

SambaBoy

Seen him getting quite a lot of criticism on here and social media. Feels it's unfair, he created stuff going forward and actually attacked his man, set up an excellent chance for Martial. Covered well at times defensively but also switched off a lot. I think people just have it out for Shaw now tbh, he was much better than AWB, who is terrible going forward.

pascell

It was a weird performance from him last night, in some parts very good, some poor.

People are pulling him because of his positioning but Spurs were defensively playing with two lines of 4 and very compact, the typical Jose way. So I felt we played Shaw and AWB as wing backs rather than full backs and told Rashford and James to stay forward ready for the counter, to push Spurs full backs back. So I can see why people felt he wasn't brilliant positionally, but he made up for it with his awareness and recovery.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He single handedly created the best chance we had all match. And is one of the best short passers in the team.

It’s mental how so many people are just waiting for one mistake to jump all over him and bitch about stuff that doesn’t even make any sense.

GenZRed

He single handedly created the best chance we had all match. And is one of the best short passers in the team.

It’s mental how so many people are just waiting for one mistake to jump all over him and bitch about stuff that doesn’t even make any sense.
Now that is a good point. We seemed to struggle with simple passing yesterday.

Says it all about this team and the performance yesterday when short passing is seen as something to compliment a footballer on.

Status
Not open for further replies.