Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

That’s a bit of a myth. He was pretty poor for ages when he first joined then had a brief run of very good form before his injury.

I actually think some of his form last season was as good as any we’ve seen from him so far. I also think his injury was a big factor in our slump in the last few games. Just a pity he’s started this season playing so badly. Maybe competition for his place is what’s needed? You could arguably attribute his good form last season to the emergence of Brandon Williams.
I agree with this. I think Shaw will do well from some competition for his place. I also think both Shaw and Telles could be used for different games, as it appears they have very different attributes.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Competition means both should be about equal. I don't know why you need two equal LB (with both on high wages), when there are other positions need to be addressed. Get the best reliable LB, get rid of the other one, then have a lesser quality as backup.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You have to ask yourself why the CB has to go all the to the edge of the penalty box to mark Aurier in the first place when it should have been the LB's job.

Even then this position is not the end of the world.

If LB decides he wants to be the CB, fine, then stay as the CB till the end of the phase. Don't just suddenly decide you want to be LB again and fly off back to the wing while the CB is out there doing your job.
They are in those starting positions because earlier in the play Maguire had pushed up out of position and Shaw had to come in to cover for him. As they retreated Maguire never had a chance to take over in a central position again so did a half-arse job of covering Shaw's position instead (which was the right decision but he just didn't do it properly).

The last line is definitely accurate though. No reason at all for Shaw to rush up like that to Kane. Yes Maguire is pointing to Kane and somebody should be closing him down, but Shaw needs to realise that he's got a far more important role in that position with both Son and Lamela running right at him.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I'm certainly glad to see him back but i still have significant doubts about him being able to play at the very, very highest level. In short-he is no Dennis Irwin. For me, the jury is still out.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The word agenda is overused on the cafe, but people seem to be using their own individual agenda against certain players to apportion blame.

Maguire pointing to the massive gaping hole in defence where 2 Tottenham players are doesn't seem a mad decision to me.

He can't have known Aurier would play a supreme ball in, or that Son would sprint there, or that the United players would totally lose their men.
What else should Maguire have done there?
He cant have known...

The essence of defending and being a defensive leader is to anticipate and mitigate the worst case scenarios.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm not sure why Maguire pointing as Kane is being taken as him specifically telling Shaw to go to him. Players point to opposition players in space all the time, and any of Pogba, Greenwood or even Matic would have been better options to be trying to get there to cover him.

Maguire did plenty of things wrong thoughout that entire play, but pointing to Kane wasn't one of them. On the other hand Shaw didn't do anything else wrong throughout the play, but then made the one big mistake of charging out at the end.

Andersons Dietician

I hadn’t noticed that goal for the Son tap in. I mean I can see why he goes to the free player but if your goalkeeper is telling you go front post then you stay front post and if the ball goes out to the person that was free then try and do something. In going out to Lamela was it he just opens the door.

Do have to say Pogba‘s half hearted attempt to get back wasn't great and not sure where Greenwood and Rashford were.

Why is he taking corners when he is arguably the only defender capable of doing anything at the back of there is a break on. Instead we leave Matic back covering. A toddler could run past him.

Grande

I'm certainly glad to see him back but i still have significant doubts about him being able to play at the very, very highest level. In short-he is no Dennis Irwin. For me, the jury is still out.
I think he has been one of ourmost stable and best players for the last two seasons. This season he’s started of really bad, it’s like he was back to the start of the Mourinho regime. Training regimes and getting to top match fitness has always been issues with him (he’s never been lazy, but he needs to train better than most to be sharp it seems). I would guess lack of preseason has hurt him more than most. No idea what the cure is, but it’s good we have atelles and awilliams to look to this season anyway.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I think he has been one of ourmost stable and best players for the last two seasons. This season he’s started of really bad, it’s like he was back to the start of the Mourinho regime. Training regimes and getting to top match fitness has always been issues with him (he’s never been lazy, but he needs to train better than most to be sharp it seems). I would guess lack of preseason has hurt him more than most. No idea what the cure is, but it’s good we have atelles and awilliams to look to this season anyway.

You've made some valuable & important points, fair play to you. You are right, he has been playing well over the past 1-2 years.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Own goal was a fluke, you don't see that very often. Could have been 4-0. Still, did well to recover from it.

SaboTaj

Seemed like he really lacked urgency tracking back whenever we lost possession. I wouldn’t mind giving Telles a shot to be honest.

Devil may care

He made plenty of good runs but let the ball get away from him in the final 3rd and lacked end product.

Andersons Dietician

Own goal aside one of our better players. Put in a couple of cracking balls and should have been played in more by Rashford. Criminally ignored the runs. You would think if you’re a striker you would see the space Shaw is going on to and all you have to do is give him the ball then make a run to the goal line yourself for a simple tap in.

None of our strikers ever do this. It’s annoying as hell. Anyway, showed he can beat a man or two and put in decent balls however would have liked to have seen Telles maybe for James given how little Joelington was going back with Shaw.

Himannv

Unlucky with the own goal, but apart from that it was an excellent display all over the pitch. He looked good behind James and they were constantly covering for each other and overlapping. Some of his passes and runs with the ball were excellent as well. Honestly I don't think Telles is a better player than him.

Raven

Unlucky with the own goal, but apart from that it was an excellent display all over the pitch. He looked good behind James and they were constantly covering for each other and overlapping. Some of his passes and runs with the ball were excellent as well. Honestly I don't think Telles is a better player than him.
People seriously underrate Shaw. He was fantastic last season but, like everyone, has started this season slowly. I doubt Telles will overtake him but he's definitely more serious competition than Brandon.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
His natural attributes are incredible, but he just can't quite seem to translate that into attacking outputs.

Some of his touches, the weight on his passes and ability to take the ball in stride are elite level, but the decision making can be diabolical.

In think he's so frustrating because he should be so good.

buckooo1978

Not sure about the rest of you and freak goal included i think that's the best I've seen Shaw play in a long time

aggressive, positive, imaginative the only thing he lacked was that little bit of quality with his final balls/shooting

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Pure Defender. I don't rate his attacking ability at all, most of the times he runs until he has no other options rather than kick the ball into the middle. Needs to play with his head up more, but like I said, he should be rated mostly for defensive side of his game which is good enough.

Maybe with more solid midfield we can give Telles a run and rest Shaw, or try him at LCB?

arthurka

Pure Defender. I don't rate his attacking ability at all, most of the times he runs until he has no other options rather than kick the ball into the middle. Needs to play with his head up more, but like I said, he should be rated mostly for defensive side of his game which is good enough.

Maybe with more solid midfield we can give Telles a run and rest Shaw, or try him at LCB?
His defending isn't good he lacks positional awareness and has brainfarts all the time. Don't think playing him in a 2 CB system will help him much. He could probably play in a back 3 and help out with pace. He just isn't a good player in my opinion, plus he looks overweight again man boobs galore. Hope Telles takes this spot and makes it his pronto.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
His defending isn't good he lacks positional awareness and has brainfarts all the time. Don't think playing him in a 2 CB system will help him much. He could probably play in a back 3 and help out with pace. He just isn't a good player in my opinion, plus he looks overweight again man boobs galore. Hope Telles takes this spot and makes it his pronto.
Shaw at LCB is worth a try especially as it makes no sense to play him as wing back.

Can't wait to see Telles though. I have not watched any videos of him yet so I have no expectations, but frankly I don't think it's that great challenge to beat Shaw to left back position (if he's defensively sound that is).

SambaBoy

He's a very tidy player in possession. Can play the 1 touch football in the triangles with Rashford, Fernandes, Martial & Pogba and not look out of place.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he had a final ball he's be one of the best in the world. His qualities in the buildup are better than most. To be fiar he did put in one or two very good crosses just needs to do it regularly.

All in all a very good performance by Shaw.

SinNombre

Shaw is the same age as when Evra joined us.

I think their levels are comparable at the same age.

Sylar

His natural attributes are incredible, but he just can't quite seem to translate that into attacking outputs.

Some of his touches, the weight on his passes and ability to take the ball in stride are elite level, but the decision making can be diabolical.

In think he's so frustrating because he should be so good.
Shaw is the same age as when Evra joined us.

I think their levels are comparable at the same age.
I think both these are fair. Its weird that Shaw has only turned 25 this season given how long hes been with us. With Telles, it might put less pressure on him and his fitness too which might benefit him (and competition is always great).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Think that's the best I've seen from Shaw in a offensive sense for sometime. Hopefully the signing of Telles has given him a much needed reality check.

Lassitude42

I feel like we expect too much from our fullbacks, expecting them to both steam forward unlocking packed defences and be back in perfect position to defend. I thought Shaw did well at the weekend, putting in a good shift both offensively and defensively. He doesn't get a lot of defensive support from Rashford when Rashford plays on the left, and I feel like we need to defend the flanks better as a team.

Is often too simplistic to say "conceding too many goals = we have rubbish defenders". We need to defend better as a team and Rashford and Greenwood need to be willing to do their bit defensively as well. Their job isn't just to attack.

slored1

Was so angry at him after the Tottenham game, but he was excellent tonight. Driving forward, first touch, combination play, kept The Snake quiet, absolutely fantastic.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was really excellent. Away from y he defending which was flawless, his passing was really crisp.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Easily his best position, left of a back 3. The system worked really well for him and he had an excellent performancr

Eddy_JukeZ

I think he has the best 1st touch in the squad. It is immaculate.

If we had him vs Sevilla, we would have won the Europa League last season. Seriously underrated footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.