Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Telles has helped Shaw alot this season.

Also, the management from Ole has been top draw IMO too. Last season, Ole realised Shaw is good but can break.

We signed Telles but he had covid so he couldn't play much and Shaw got injured, since he's been back, we have seen Ole take him out of certain games and use him for 45 mins in some games. He is managing Shaw whilst giving Telles enough game time too.
Yep, he's got the balance working well. It helps to have 2 proper LB's! we just need another RB to help AWB rest properly and give him a challenge too.

Competition for all places is something we've properly lacked since fergie.

romufc

Yep, he's got the balance working well. It helps to have 2 proper LB's! we just need another RB to help AWB rest properly and give him a challenge too.

Competition for all places is something we've properly lacked since fergie.
I agree, players cannot rest if there is competition. Ole has always said he wants a squad with 2 players in each position. Have a look at DDG performances this season.

It would be nice to see Shaw get his delivery right from open play. He takes corners for us which means he has a good delivery, but in open play he always seems to take the extra touch.

arthurka

1 goal and 8 assists in 168 PL games.
For Shaw

1 goal and 8 assists in 91 PL games.
For AWB

Been saying this for some time now Shaw's output isn't anywhere near good enough for a attacking LB.

Chilwell has 13 and 6 goals in 113 games.

Robertson has 37 and 5 goals in 168 games.

Trent has 28 and 6 goals in 108 games in the PL.

Kyle Walker has 30 and 8 in 304 games in the PL.

See where this is going? His output clearly isn't good enough the other guy how can't do shit offensively well he has the same numbers in almost 80 less games. It's clear to see, but I have seen a bit of a change in his attitude since Telles came he just looks sharper and more engaged. Long may that continue.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
For Shaw

For AWB

Been saying this for some time now Shaw's output isn't anywhere near good enough for a attacking LB.

See where this is going? His output clearly isn't good enough the other guy how can't do shit offensively well he has the same numbers in almost 80 less games. It's clear to see, but I have seen a bit of a change in his attitude since Telles came he just looks sharper and more engaged. Long may that continue.
That is one very specific way of looking at his performances.
Remember, he is a defender. So what data is there for his defensive role.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
For Shaw

For AWB

Shaw's final ball has always been disappointing, but he does play a big part in our build-up. His great first touch and ability to make passes through the lines (something that we really saw against Villa but is always there to some extent) and drive the team forward is part of the reason we play the ball out from the left a hell of a lot more than we do on the right. He often plays almost like an extra midfielder rather than an extra winger like the fullbacks you've mentioned do.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing more than to see him continue his recent improvement going forward. But the goal and assists don't show the entire picture and he has provided a lot more than what they indicate.

romufc

I am not sure why people judge full backs on goals and assists.. its a useless stat.

I would rather have my full backs really good defensive players and support the attackers when going forward which Shaw does well anyway.

Can he improve his final third play yes, but its not like we need a new one because of that. A solid full back gives our creative players more freedom.

arthurka

That is one very specific way of looking at his performances.
Remember, he is a defender. So what data is there for his defensive role.
This started when people were saying he was a great threat attacking hence my post.

He is an ok defender but has too many brain freeze moments for my taste but no big problem with him there generally, he lacks stamina some times. If you are interested in them they are available for you to look them up.

Jonno

I am not sure why people judge full backs on goals and assists.. its a useless stat.

I would rather have my full backs really good defensive players and support the attackers when going forward which Shaw does well anyway.

Can he improve his final third play yes, but its not like we need a new one because of that. A solid full back gives our creative players more freedom.
Agree.

I think its down to the fact you get one or two teams playing with attacking fullbacks, and its seen as the new hypster-trendy way to play football. Then you see the likes of Trent who can't defend.

There's nothing wrong with us having a team who scores plenty of goals through different avenues, and our full backs contribute where they can but are also sound defensively.

With regards to Shaw, he is playing very well at the moment, he looks fit, quick, positive especially when going forward, he also look solid defensively. All I will say with Shaw, is that he can run out of gas towards the end of games and be caught out of position. I think back to that Leicester goal for example, one lapse in concentration, and we got slaughtered down our left hand side and they score an own goal. I hope he can keep in games for 90 mins, or we can utilise Telles/Williams from the bench when we're defending a narrow lead.

romufc

Agree.

I think its down to the fact you get one or two teams playing with attacking fullbacks, and its seen as the new hypster-trendy way to play football. Then you see the likes of Trent who can't defend.

There's nothing wrong with us having a team who scores plenty of goals through different avenues, and our full backs contribute where they can but are also sound defensively.

With regards to Shaw, he is playing very well at the moment, he looks fit, quick, positive especially when going forward, he also look solid defensively. All I will say with Shaw, is that he can run out of gas towards the end of games and be caught out of position. I think back to that Leicester goal for example, one lapse in concentration, and we got slaughtered down our left hand side and they score an own goal. I hope he can keep in games for 90 mins, or we can utilise Telles/Williams from the bench when we're defending a narrow lead.
Liverpool are one of the only clubs that play that way... City don't rely on full backs, its only because Liverpool spam crosses and their full backs take every set piece which sometimes skews the figures.

The Leicester goal, I see it from a concentration and communication, we didn't need 2 players press the ball, only one should. The one thing I would say is, teams will score goals against us, you cannot expect us to never concede a goal.

The way we look at every goal conceded, sometimes goes too far.

Adam-Utd

For Shaw

For AWB

Outside of the box only maybe Robertson and Trent are as good as him in building up play, but he's better than all of them defensively IMO.

It's once he gets to the box he needs to be a bit more decisive, but often he plays the pre assist pass to Rashford/Martial/Bruno etc who then get the final assist.

It's fair to say though our team plays nowhere near as good without Shaw in the team. Look at what happened when he was injured at the end of last season, our play completely fell apart.

We rely on his drive through midfield so much when we play Fred/Mctominay.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
For Shaw

For AWB

Our fullbacks rarely get assists because our forward players love to have the ball outside the box before they start dribbling in for a shot. Add in how inconsistent their form is, it's no surprise that we're not getting better stats from our fullbacks.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think he always had the skills and the potential - just needed the right managers and the game time. He's quite quick when at full speed, good on the ball, passes very well, and he's a good pure defender. Now he's added corners and crosses to that list. I think the only thing he has to improve a little bit more is decision making and he's all set. Hopefully he continues to stay fit as that's always been his biggest problem.
He needs to improve his fitness and aggressiveness. His positioning and heading are bad also.

Big task ahead. Unless we're satisfied with a Gary Neville level of him.

Jonno

Liverpool are one of the only clubs that play that way... City don't rely on full backs, its only because Liverpool spam crosses and their full backs take every set piece which sometimes skews the figures.

The Leicester goal, I see it from a concentration and communication, we didn't need 2 players press the ball, only one should. The one thing I would say is, teams will score goals against us, you cannot expect us to never concede a goal.

The way we look at every goal conceded, sometimes goes too far.
I agree largely with what you're saying, and I am a fan of Shaw in our strongest 11 for the immediate. He's showing some of his best form.

Nothing wrong with pointing out little things where he could improve, and I do think he needs to keep some gas in the tank for 80-95 minutes of football, especially when we're clinging on to a win - he can sometimes be caught out.

When a team wins, and largely plays well, there will be 1-2 little tweaks and improvements that can be made, and rest assured it seems Ole is doing that, constantly striving to improve which will help players like Shaw, in a stark contrast to the treatment he got from previous management...!

Bwuk

He needs to improve his fitness and aggressiveness. His positioning and heading are bad also.

Big task ahead. Unless we're satisfied with a Gary Neville level of him.
???

Shaw is nowhere near Gary Neville.

romufc

I agree largely with what you're saying, and I am a fan of Shaw in our strongest 11 for the immediate. He's showing some of his best form.

Nothing wrong with pointing out little things where he could improve, and I do think he needs to keep some gas in the tank for 80-95 minutes of football, especially when we're clinging on to a win - he can sometimes be caught out.

When a team wins, and largely plays well, there will be 1-2 little tweaks and improvements that can be made, and rest assured it seems Ole is doing that, constantly striving to improve which will help players like Shaw, in a stark contrast to the treatment he got from previous management...!
Agreed, I am not saying he is perfect. He does have areas where he can improve, which I hope is being pointed out to him by Ole and the coaches.

Well its not just Shaw, look how he has dealt with Martial, Fred, Pogba as well. There was a time where Jose would criticise these players, play them for 45 minutes they make 1 mistake then sub them off and highlight it in the post match. That is not good for player confidence.

If Pogba's agent done that when Jose was in charge, it would be Pogba v Jose, divisions in the dressing room because the number of players who get on with Pogba and there will be this toxic atmosphere.

Instead, Ole has slowly just gone about his business, plays Pogba and he is in decent form.

united for life

Probably our best player today. Showed character pushing Cancelo. The way he’s matured is impressive.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Seems to be getting away with just watching John Stones run in front of him.
Was very poor from him, Lindelof and Maguire for that one. Still thought he was our best player on the night.

Andersons Dietician

Pep certainly targeted our fullbacks and created space behind both to exploit but given on Shaws side it was KDB and Sterling felt like he did quite well. Had a good few moments going forward and the set pieces have still been pretty good.

Loved the bit about Cancello. He wasn’t letting it go either, got him a few times after that shoulder check.

acnumber9

Often as a result of one of our front 4 ridiculously cheaply giving it away after Shaw had drove forward on the attack and was high up the pitch.
Or often by moving infield and out of his position. Sometimes you have to pass players on.

Raven

He's an excellent player and he was doing some top notch enforcing against Cancelo. Some real shit house stuff.

el3mel

His delivery from set pieces have become fantastic. Pretty shame that Maguire is at the end of all them, otherwise could have had more assists under his name.

Maybe next time, Luke, try targeting other player than Maguire ?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
One of the best tonight for me, arguably the best. He just seems to need a lot of games to get fit, then if he's out for any time it's back to square one. But when he is fit he's obviously first eleven.

criticalanalysis

Gotta agree with the comments regarding his delivery. Wheretf did this come from? :lol:

He's always had good technique and has showed it many times before but suddenly he's become our go-to guy for most set pieces. On top of that, he's been actually hitting it into the right areas more times than not.

I stil would love to see some deeper, proper whipped crosses from outside the box and see him drive into the box more. For me he justs need a bit of arrogance and encouragement from Ole because he has the physicality and ability to really dominate by going past several players and drive us forward.

ti vu

One of the positive of tonight game, yet without negative. Definitely needed to be more aware in John Stones goal. Caught ball watching when he should tightly mark him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
His delivery from set pieces have become fantastic. Pretty shame that Maguire is at the end of all them, otherwise could have had more assists under his name.

Maybe next time, Luke, try targeting other player than Maguire ?
Maguire's called slabhead for a reason. He's the easiest guy to find in the box with how massive his head is.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

Thought he was our best player, like he usually is. The difference in possession between him and AWB is like night and day. Really strong in defensive 1v1s and also made some scintillating runs forward, although I think Martial messed up the pass for each and every one of them.

Adam-Utd

Time to convert him to a left sided CDM and use Telles as a LB more often. :drool:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
???

Shaw is nowhere near Gary Neville.
"Nowhere near" are strong words.

Anyway, I was replying to the post which said Shaw just need to improve his decision making, and he'd be all set. I disagreed. Improving his decision making would only set him to Gary Neville's level at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.