6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He definitely should be making the squad but I don't think he's better than Chilwell, though I don't think there is much between them.

I also think Southgate has an issue with him dropping out of the squad a couple of times which doesn't help.
agreed. And let’s be honest, Shaw is patchy in both his form and his fitness.

I don’t know what Chilwell’s injury record is like, but reliability is a big factor.

A big reason why Shaw has been so good, is that we have been able to rotate him with Telles. That’s not desirable at international level.

he’s been fantastic this season, and long may it continue. I’m an England fan as well, but would not be unhappy if he doesn’t make the squad. His games clearly need to be managed to get the best out of him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Somehow he became our main set piece taker. Takes them well too.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He definitely should be making the squad but I don't think he's better than Chilwell, though I don't think there is much between them.

I also think Southgate has an issue with him dropping out of the squad a couple of times which doesn't help.
Honestly think he’s miles better than Chilwell who can’t really defend.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Chilwell is fantastic going forward to be fair. Think Shaw not getting many games for England hasn't been about performances lately.
Slight exaggeration, he’s okay going forwards and pretty poor going the other way. He’s really quite an overrated player, whilst the opposite always seems to apply to Shaw.

Andersons Dietician

Didn’t Maguire have him covered? You just don’t leave a man on your side open, the ball bounced through to Traore somehow
Nah Maguire is covering number 11. Pogba has let someone run so Shaw has to cover two people and it’s Maguire and Shaw vs 3 Villa players. Shaw tries to get across to Ghazi to block his shot. Ghazi fluffs it and luckily it ends up at Traore. He had to make the decision to go across and put pressure on the threat.

spiriticon

He's been here close to six years, had 3 managers and nobody's realised he can take a corner? Even Phil Jones was taking them as some point!

What is this bollocks?

Based Adnan

How he doesn’t start for England I’ll never know he’s easily the best left back going both ways. Such an excellent player which has been shown even more since the arrival of telles.
A while back he pulled out of an England squad due to injury and then played 90 mins in multiple games for us straight away following the break. Ever since then Southgate hasn't fancied him.

Himannv

Should probably have got an assist towards the end with the cutback to Pogba. Good game on the whole, particularly as an attacking threat. Really pleased with his corners these days - they're very well directed.

SAFMUTD

Competition with Alex Telles whas done him really good, he is very technical and now he seems to be more energetic. His offensive output in the game against Villa was excellent, overlapping and tracking back.

Really a MOTM performances if not for Bailly's and Pogba's excellent game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Imo, depending on Saka, he should be England's first choice LB.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Saka isnt a LB
He's looked absolutely brilliant whenever I've seen him there. That's why I said "depending" , though. If he wants to make that position his own instead playing everywhere, he can.

Crimson King

Should be starting for England at the Euro's.
He should definitely at least be in the squad if he's fit. He's shown he can play the LCB role in a back 3, which is the formation Southgate uses most often.

Given the real lack of quality English CBs right now, it seems a good shout for him. Plus, then you can still play Chilwell or Saka as an attacking LWB.

Mcking

He should definitely at least be in the squad if he's fit. He's shown he can play the LCB role in a back 3, which is the formation Southgate uses most often.

Given the real lack of quality English CBs right now, it seems a good shout for him. Plus, then you can still play Chilwell or Saka as an attacking LWB.
Yeah, makes much more sense than playing Walker at RCB. Allows Maguire to play in the middle as well.

reliability and being able to play so many games in a short time is a concern, and will work against him.

I’m a big fan of his, but think he might struggle at a tournament.

Raveneye

Shaw does not need the burden of international games raising the risk of injury. He and Telles have a good thing going right now to share the physical burden, because playing to exhaustion and then getting injured has been shown to be a real danger with Shaw.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

ShAw dOeSnT aTtAcK!
Baffling, was watching Stretford Paddock and Stephen Howson was blatently lying about how Shaw doesn't try to initiate early balls or attacks, yet he must be doing something to get this stat. People just have pet players they hate.

NinjaFletch

ShAw dOeSnT aTtAcK!
Most posters have been very complimentary about how well he's got forward this season (hell he was probably my man of the match against Villa). It's disingenuous to pretend that that means all the previous criticism of him going forward was wide of the mark, though. Players improve, and Shaw has noticably gone up a level this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Baffling, was watching Stretford Paddock and Stephen Howson was blatently lying about how Shaw doesn't try to initiate early balls or attacks, yet he must be doing something to get this stat. People just have pet players they hate.
That's because Stephen Howson knows feck all

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Was discussing Ole with a friend and trying to think of players who have improved under him as a manager. Fair to say Shaw tops the list?
Rashford? Fred? McTominay? Lindelof? Martial? tbh it's probably quicker to list those who have been worse under Ole than previous managers

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
That's because Stephen Howson knows feck all
He's usually reliable, but he has his players he hates and will never give any props to. First it was Ashley Young, now it's Shaw. Also it's very clear he is biased towards the players he knows in real life, like Brandon Williams. Williams is clearly not that good, otherwise we would have stuck with him and not got Telles, but last season we kept getting told on his channel that Williams is the bees knees, despite it being clear towards the end of that season that he wasn't THAT good.

lost7

I really like how he's been pushing more and more in the last games, and honestly he's been unlucky not to get at least a couple of assists, but he can still improve his final ball. Far too often he gets to the touchline while having a lot of space and his low crosses still don't get past the first man. Overall, though, he's been our best full back this season

He gets so much criticism on social media partly because people have decided that it's not fashionable to actually like all our players so they zeroed in on Shaw and pretend he's a terrible footballer for no reason. The mental gymnastics to pretend Telles is better than him, let alone far better are bizarre.

He's excellent, just wish his final ball was better. I think him delivering his crosses first time would help with that as he lets defences get organized before crossing, which is too had because he has lovely shape on his balls in behind from deeper positions. I'm thinking his ball to Rashford against Watford a few seasons ago, and against Spain for England.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's usually reliable, but he has his players he hates and will never give any props to. First it was Ashley Young, now it's Shaw. Also it's very clear he is biased towards the players he knows in real life, like Brandon Williams. Williams is clearly not that good, otherwise we would have stuck with him and not got Telles, but last season we kept getting told on his channel that Williams is the bees knees, despite it being clear towards the end of that season that he wasn't THAT good.
For me he just talks a lot of shite.

Silverman

I'm a fan of Shaw's footballing ability but he looks to be coasting through games.
Lacks urgency at times imo.

Himannv

After all those years, it's like he suddenly realized he's actually good at corner and whipping crosses.
I think he always had the skills and the potential - just needed the right managers and the game time. He's quite quick when at full speed, good on the ball, passes very well, and he's a good pure defender. Now he's added corners and crosses to that list. I think the only thing he has to improve a little bit more is decision making and he's all set. Hopefully he continues to stay fit as that's always been his biggest problem.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Buying Telles has really pushed Shaw up a level.

He's always had huge ability but as with many of our players lacked consistency - he's now knitting it all together.

He's making a lot more forward runs recently too which makes a big difference.

The only gripe I have left is he needs to work on his final pass and composure in the box. So many times he gets to the byline and then hits the first man or fails to find a team mate.

Really glad we never gave up on him though! would have been a big mistake.

romufc

Buying Telles has really pushed Shaw up a level.

He's always had huge ability but as with many of our players lacked consistency - he's now knitting it all together.

He's making a lot more forward runs recently too which makes a big difference.

The only gripe I have left is he needs to work on his final pass and composure in the box. So many times he gets to the byline and then hits the first man or fails to find a team mate.

Really glad we never gave up on him though! would have been a big mistake.
Telles has helped Shaw alot this season.

Also, the management from Ole has been top draw IMO too. Last season, Ole realised Shaw is good but can break.

We signed Telles but he had covid so he couldn't play much and Shaw got injured, since he's been back, we have seen Ole take him out of certain games and use him for 45 mins in some games. He is managing Shaw whilst giving Telles enough game time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.