Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

People are starting to overhype him. Yes he is good, but he hasn't won anything so far. It only counts at the end of the day if he does it in finals and wins something

Stacks

No. He was hyped as the better player by people that have an irrational hatred of Shaw.
Nah. Statistcis placed Shaw as 10th or 11th best LB in the league by comparing many different metrics but he was still better than Brandon. They wanted Shaw to be more brave in the final 3rd rather than just check back and pass

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People are starting to overhype him. Yes he is good, but he hasn't won anything so far. It only counts at the end of the day if he does it in finals and wins something
Odd. So most peformances by footballers are irrelevant. Why do they even bother?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I never saw Shaw at Southampton so I was always a bit dissatisfied with what I saw at United - even before the horrible injury and after it.

He is an incredible player now, probably the most creative LB I remember playing for recent United - free kicks to through balls and crosses. Great stuff.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He is not being overhyped! How dare you.

Anyway henceforth 29th of June every year shall now be ‘Luke Shaw day’. What a man!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He won the tackle that led to our second goal :wenger:

romufc

That is a very interesting take. So are you saying a player is only good if they win what?

Luke Shaw has won League cup and Europa League.

Oh Ah Cantona

Shaw involved in both England goals yesterday.

Only got a 6/10 rating from sky though, which is joint lowest of any English player? He didn't have a great 1st half but nor did most of the team. Seems a very low mark though considering his involvement in both goals.

Well done Shaw, hope you keep on improving.

Ekeke

When was the last time a leftback was the reason a team did or didnt win something?

criticalanalysis

His one obvious weakness is his right foot and his unwillingness to use it even for basic passes sometimes. That and his positioning and challenging for headers at the back post. He's been one of the best left backs in the world this past year though and long may that continue.
Agree on the right foot. He unwillingness to use it limits his turning circle and close off easy passes towards the centre of the pitch. I think he back passes too much anytime someone stands him up, especially for someone of his dribbling ability and size. The other thing is that he's sometime very lax when pushing out to close down byline crosses/players in that area.

Disagree on the bolded. He's probably one of the best and most consistent full backs when it comes to heading at the back post and tucking in for those crosses from the opposite wing. He's not a heading monster/magnet but his positioning and size/jump means the opposition rarely wins anything decent against him. I think it's a very underrated aspect of his. I'm surprised you've mentioned this as it's not a clear and obvious weakness of his at all. If you're thinking about losing his man ala Europa League Final then maybe but even then that's a different scenario and on the rare case.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He’s excellent, but it is infuriating when he won’t close down the winger and just let them cross into box without pressure. Get close and block him ffs

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Agree on the right foot. He unwillingness to use it limits his turning circle and close off easy passes towards the centre of the pitch. I think he back passes too much anytime someone stands him up, especially for someone of his dribbling ability and size. The other thing is that he's sometime very lax when pushing out to close down byline crosses/players in that area.

Disagree on the bolded. He's probably one of the best and most consistent full backs when it comes to heading at the back post and tucking in for those crosses from the opposite wing. He's not a heading monster/magnet but his positioning and size/jump means the opposition rarely wins anything decent against him. I think it's a very underrated aspect of his. I'm surprised you've mentioned this as it's not a clear and obvious weakness of his at all. If you're thinking about losing his man ala Europa League Final then maybe but even then that's a different scenario and on the rare case.
I'll keep a closer eye on it this season for sure. According to fbref stats he averages 1.23 aerials won, 1.26 aerials lost and 49.5 % aerials won. All of which are in the mid 40s to 50s in terms of percentile. I appreciate that those stats don't provide context but I do think they show he is weak aerially.

criticalanalysis

I'll keep a closer eye on it this season for sure. According to fbref stats he averages 1.23 aerials won, 1.26 aerials lost and 49.5 % aerials won. All of which are in the mid 40s to 50s in terms of percentile. I appreciate that those stats don't provide context but I do think they show he is weak aerially.
I appreciate the stats can show a side of the story but in this case I will say the bolded bit is wrong. It might be correct statistically speaking but in terms of actual game situations that matter, I don't think that's the case at all.

I can imagine Shaw losing an aerial from those long and high diagonal balls (to the flank/channels) as the opposition gets to the ball/heads it first but it's not scenarios where he's concededing good position or it leads to a potential dangerous bit of play. To me those 'aerials' are just part and parcel of the game where they don't really affect the game (low probability punts so to speak) and it's rare to win in the first case. His fundamentals are usually solid.

Obviously my opinion is subjective but I usually keep an eye on Shaw and it's rare I ever go 'that was poor' when he's in an aerial duel of actual importance e.g back post and crosses from the other wing when he tucks in.

Edit: Or maybe I should I preface, Shaw is average in the open field but very good in his own penalty box and that the latter is where it mostly matters?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shaw involved in both England goals yesterday.

Only got a 6/10 rating from sky though, which is joint lowest of any English player? He didn't have a great 1st half but nor did most of the team. Seems a very low mark though considering his involvement in both goals.

Well done Shaw, hope you keep on improving.
They probably listened to that idiot Jermaine Jenas for too long.

It's amazing how a commentator can sway the masses with their opinion. He spent all game saying Shaw should be playing higher and then to be subbed, yet he was the guy that was most involved.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
World class player, one of the most complete FBs in Europe.

TheMitz

All of the above ..... And he's ours.

If any player deserves this praise its him

CG1010

Beckham esque crossing. He keeps adding more and more quality to his game!

Status
Not open for further replies.