Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

It's funny that when we signed him, he was the most expensive teenager and 4th most expensive defender. Seems quaint.

Who actually signed him? Moyes scouted him and then Van Gaal oked it I guess?
Yep, although I'm not sure it really involved all that much scouting. Shaw made the Premier League team of the season as a teenager the year we signed him. The talent was always obvious.

BorisManUtd

Yep, although I'm not sure it really involved all that much scouting. Shaw made the Premier League team of the season as a teenager the year we signed him. The talent was always obvious.
Yeah he already looked like finished article (not in a way that he reached his whole potential but was ready to be starting LB in PL team) at Southampton playing week in week out at 18. We paid 27M pounds which was considered high fee at that time (especially for a fullback).

Just realised only De Gea and Jones of current players have been longer at club than Shaw actually.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Surely they're both top 3-5 in the EPL. But in Europe? There's still Cancelo, Robertson, Alaba, Theo Hernandez, Davies, Nuno Mendes, etc
They are pretty easily top 2 in England. Robertson is the only who can compete but hasn't been close to their level this season.

Cancelo is good but not as complete. Nuno Mendes not as proven as them or as talented in his overall game. Alaba hasn't been a left back for ages. Theo Hernandez isn't as proven as them generally and hasn't played on the same level as them or achieved as much.

Davies yeah is up there but his form also has taken a hit. I'd say it's fair to say any of Davies/Zinchenko/Shaw and generally Robertson. Top 5 in the world but for me Shaw this season has shown the highest level of all of them. Don't think any of them are as good as him on the ball with his mix of passing and carrying.

OmarUnited4ever

Surely they're both top 3-5 in the EPL. But in Europe? There's still Cancelo, Robertson, Alaba, Theo Hernandez, Davies, Nuno Mendes, etc
Theo & Nuno are good shouts, Cancelo too, Alaba is a CB now, and Robertson's level dropped

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Another example of why some players require patience. Came back from one of the worst injuries. Clearly had issues mentally and a rotton apple of a manager in Mourinho who probably set him back a year or two.

SAFMUTD

They are pretty easily top 2 in England. Robertson is the only who can compete but hasn't been close to their level this season.

Cancelo is good but not as complete. Nuno Mendes not as proven as them or as talented in his overall game. Alaba hasn't been a left back for ages. Theo Hernandez isn't as proven as them generally and hasn't played on the same level as them or achieved as much.

Davies yeah is up there but his form also has taken a hit. I'd say it's fair to say any of Davies/Zinchenko/Shaw and generally Robertson. Top 5 in the world but for me Shaw this season has shown the highest level of all of them. Don't think any of them are as good as him on the ball with his mix of passing and carrying.
Cancelo is world-class. It's only because Pep has fallen with him but he's really special.

I'd say Nuno Mendes is the most talented or the one with the highest ceiling of them all, only 20 and a physically a beast. Theo is really good as well but we all know serie A is some steps below the premier league so we'll need to see him in a toughest league.

Crimson King

Cancelo is world-class. It's only because Pep has fallen with him but he's really special.

I'd say Nuno Mendes is the most talented or the one with the highest ceiling of them all, only 20 and a physically a beast. Theo is really good as well but we all know serie A is some steps below the premier league so we'll need to see him in a toughest league.
Theo is great at going forward but very suspect defensively. Nuno Mendes plays in Ligue 1, he'll have to leave PSG if he wants to be taken seriously.

bosnian_red

Or - he's a very specific type of creative fullback that is very meh defensively generally, and one that only Pep was able to get an elite level out of. Wasn't elite at Juventus, was dropped by Portugal for Dalot... He's very talented of course, but he has a lot of weaknesses to his game and that's why he hasn't been elite anywhere other than Pep where his defensive frailties weren't exposed.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Zinchenko is nowhere near Shaw or in any conversation as best LB in Europe for me. He’s a natural midfielder, and has been receiving huge praise for basically playing midfield this season, but any decent winger would destroy him, and he has very basic athleticism.

SAFMUTD

Or - he's a very specific type of creative fullback that is very meh defensively generally, and one that only Pep was able to get an elite level out of. Wasn't elite at Juventus, was dropped by Portugal for Dalot... He's very talented of course, but he has a lot of weaknesses to his game and that's why he hasn't been elite anywhere other than Pep where his defensive frailties weren't exposed.
He was, if not world class, certainly very good for Juve. City paid 65M for him I think its safe to say he was doing good at Juve to comand that fee. He was benched by Dalot because he had an awful form in the month prior to the world cup.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Zinchenko is nowhere near Shaw or in any conversation as best LB in Europe for me. He’s a natural midfielder, and has been receiving huge praise for basically playing midfield this season, but any decent winger would destroy him, and he has very basic athleticism.
Agree. He wasn't even their first choice. Martinez was. Arteta needed someone to play an inverted role by dropping to midfield and he is perfect. Shaw is miles ahead as a full back.

People love to underrated our own even when they are having a great season.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

But a guy who plays in Ligue 1 is world class?

The likes of Davies or Mendes are only better if you consider a FB's attacking output in number of assists or have often the surge into the box on an overlap. Shaw can basically act as a playmaker from FB position which none of the others are remotely capable of doing. Even his crosses have greatly improved lately. That being said defensively there will still be the odd game where Shaw makes mistakes, but offensively, in terms of the effect he has on the team's output, there isn't a LB who comes close.

bosnian_red

He was, if not world class, certainly very good for Juve. City paid 65M for him I think its safe to say he was doing good at Juve to comand that fee. He was benched by Dalot because he had an awful form in the month prior to the world cup.
City had Danilo who was old and average who they traded with 20m on top to get Cancelo. The accounting value for Juve for Daniel was 40m or so for their books, which are of course nonsense and part of why they're getting punished for their fecky books.

3KDré

Best he's ever played for us.
It might be just me but even compared to his 2021 season I still feel like that 5/6 month period before his leg break in 2015/16 is still my favourite version of him. He had more pace back so we'd see him dribble and overlap back then.

criticalanalysis

I remember a poster saying he always laughs/chuckles when Shaw does his hop before a cross...

Well this just came up on my feed:

edit: It makes sense from a technical pov for him, as it improves his approach when running onto a ball and gives you a sense of timing of when to release etc. Still funny though.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

Quietly having an incredible season. He has the best technique of any player in our squad and is only behind Casemiro and Martinez in his reading of the play.

CloneMC16

Absolue quality.

Even though Shaw is a great player, i still wonder how much better he would have been without the leg break. He was faster and much more of a ball carrier before the leg break.

He also had to deal with that cnut Mourinho. That period hit his development as well.

next_number_seven

He's surprisingly athletic for a stocky, white guy.

I can't remember who said that Shaw was flying past him on the training pitch when they first arrived

Man Utd 2:1 Barcelona

Irwin99

Steady and composed, especially in the second half. I've been critical of him at times in his career here but he's having a very good season.

InfiniteBoredom

He occasionally tucked too far in field for my liking, there were a few moments when Barca exploited us with a ball to the byline on that left side, but really kept his cool in the dying minutes and recovered possession superbly.

Robbie Boy

He occasionally tucked too far in field for my liking, there were a few moments when Barca exploited us with a ball to the byline on that left side, but really kept his cool in the dying minutes and recovered possession superbly.
First half? Definitely. Thought - like the whole team - he had a good second half.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Best first touch, vision and passing from quite an unorthodox and currently best LB in the world. Happy for him. Even if he loses his intensity and pace as he ages, think he will be a great composed CB and can replace Varane himself while we establish more aggressive style, running LB in the starting 11. Be it Malacia or someone else. Maybe Alvaro Fernandes will step up and can be a good option there.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I remember a poster saying he always laughs/chuckles when Shaw does his hop before a cross...

Well this just came up on my feed:

edit: It makes sense from a technical pov for him, as it improves his approach when running onto a ball and gives you a sense of timing of when to release etc. Still funny though.
It's like a dummy similar to Bruno's penalty move, giving him split second for the defender to react to it and him getting composed and measure before the kick.

InfiniteBoredom

First half? Definitely. Thought - like the whole team - he had a good second half.
Yeah I’ve always been a fan, but it’s still a weakness of his game that he occasionally relapsed due to a lack of concentration, or just a habit. To be fair to him, it’s nowhere near as bad as AWB’s backpost defending, but it could cost us and definitely something he should work on because as his pace goes, it’ll get harder and harder to recover those situations.

jackal&hyde

He has become the perfect so called inside full back. Great on the ball and with play making qualities and a total bully while defending. Is he still playing with Mourinho's brain?

romufc

He is one of our best all round footballers. His technical ability is really good.

I find it Shaw doesn't get credit because there is a part of this fan base that I feel are just waiting for him to have a bad game.

When he is fit, he is almost unstoppable.

Had a quiet game overall and not great first half like many in the team, but how good was that sprint and backheel in the leadup to the second goal??

Nickosaur

Anyone else love this guy?

Just saw an instagram post of his scar and what a rollercoaster of a time he's had at united. When you consider that career threatening leg break he had, fitness issues, fans on his back for a lot of his time here... this season he has been immense. Versatile at both LB and CB and ten Hag clearly rates him highly. Really hope it continues.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He really is a gem. Mr. Consistent. Rarely gives us anything to worry about, always does his job well, and always dependable.

Status
Not open for further replies.