Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's funny how 2 guys who constantly got so much stick - Rashford and Shaw - have genuinely turned into consistent world class players under Ten Hag. He looked at them, saw the talent and just gave them the coaching and belief to give them consistency. Best football of their careers by far.

Red00012

He played a pass between the lines to Bruno in the 1st half that was KDB esque

ti vu

I think he got a bit lucky on a couple occasions when Lewandowski did get the better of him... but then it's Robert fecking Lewandowski.
And, not a sight on Shaw, but we need Licha's passing from that left centre back spot (and, in turn, even when Malacia has a great game he still can't match Shaw's playmaking ability from left back).

Somehow I've already written about two negatives when overall it was a very good performance by Luke. Great when you consider that he only played a couple of games in his adult career as a center back in a back 4.
I think you made a fair points. Not everything is perfect. (Shaw also made 2 dangerous mistakes last game against Leeds when it was still 0-0). Mistakes also needs to be noted. Right now we can get away with the positive outnumbering the mistake, but there would be a point where we can't afford that, so we either ironing out the mistake or fixing it with recruitment when the chance arrive.

Good competent performance nevertheless.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Class at CB, but when Martinez is fully fit, him at LB is the best we can have. We are much more progressive on the left flank when those two are there; not blaming Shaw at CB, but they both play to their strengths when together in natural positions.

OrcaFat

I think you made a fair points. Not everything is perfect. (Shaw also made 2 dangerous mistakes last game against Leeds when it was still 0-0). Mistakes also needs to be noted. Right now we can get away with the positive outnumbering the mistake, but there would be a point where we can't afford that, so we either ironing out the mistake or fixing it with recruitment when the chance arrive.

Good competent performance nevertheless.
Recruitment? We won’t be able to recruit a better LCB than Shaw to sit on the bench as cover for Martinez so that’s out. And good luck recruiting a better LB, such a player does not exist.

ti vu

Recruitment? We won’t be able to recruit a better LCB than Shaw to sit on the bench as cover for Martinez so that’s out. And good luck recruiting a better LB, such a player does not exist.
Why not a natural CB who can cover both RCB and LCB, and actually rotate seamlessly week in, week out for either Varane and Lisandro if required.

Varane used to be that guy for Pepe and Sergio Ramos. Under SAF, especially later year, he stockpiled younger CBs to prepare a succession plan for Rio and Vida with Pique, Johnny Evans, Smalling, Jones (Varane was inquired but he chose at that time to go to Real Madrid).

Right now look at Bayern natural CBs and CB step in selections. Or Man City seems to buy a new CB every other year, too.

Shaw is doing a very good job, but let's not kid ourselves he's better in CB role than someone like Smalling, Pique in their prime. Unless you know that the world has stopped produced good enough natural CBs of that level.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Its insane how good he is at CB, but i feel like we need him at LB.

With Martinez as a CB, and him as LB, we are so much better.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why not a natural CB who can cover both RCB and LCB, and actually rotate seamlessly week in, week out for either Varane and Lisandro if required.

Varane used to be that guy for Pepe and Sergio Ramos. Under SAF, especially later year, he stockpiled younger CBs to prepare a succession plan for Rio and Vida with Pique, Johnny Evans, Smalling, Jones (Varane was inquired but he chose at that time to go to Real Madrid).

Right now look at Bayern natural CBs and CB step in selections. Or Man City seems to buy a new CB every other year, too.

Shaw is doing a very good job, but let's not kid ourselves he's better in CB role than someone like Smalling, Pique in their prime. Unless you know that the world has stopped produced good enough natural CBs of that level.
Seeing how much Eric loves to work with the players he's worked beforehand we might go for de ligt if the budget allows us to, us naturally a RCB but I've seen bayern playing him on the left hand side at times like they did against psg.

ti vu

Seeing how much Eric loves to work with the players he's worked beforehand we might go for de ligt if the budget allows us to, us naturally a RCB but I've seen bayern playing him on the left hand side at times like they did against psg.
I think that boat sailed. He just moved to Bayern this summer.

Just that with money, surely we can scout some competent natural CBs.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think that boat sailed. He just moved to Bayern this summer.

Just that with money, surely we can scout some competent CBs.
Probably but stranger things have happened before in the transfer market.

OrcaFat

If such a player can be found and persuaded to come here I wouldn’t object. But let’s not kid ourselves - Prime Pique would laugh at the idea of being back up and that’s before you think about what a player of his quality would cost.

We have a lot of other priorities and, I feel, trying to sign someone who is better than Shaw as a backup LCB is inventing a problem that just isn’t there.

Mike Smalling

Its insane how good he is at CB, but i feel like we need him at LB.

With Martinez as a CB, and him as LB, we are so much better.
Yeah, he brings so much offensively from LB, that he cannot deliver from CB. It's great that he is able to cover when Martinez is out, but a big aspect of his game is nullified in that position. As much as a like Malacia, he still needs to add a bit more going forward.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Imagine keeping Haaland and Lewnadowski quiet while playing out of position. Mbappe next.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s good what ETH has done with him by using him at CB and it helps for cover but when martinez is fit then he has to go back at LB with martinez in next to him. Makes us much more progressive.

gza the genius

Probably the wrong thread but his versatility makes me think someone like Timber would be a really good option for the summer. Sell AWB and have Timber compete/be backup for Varane/Dalot. Shaw being able to replace Martinez has really helped us out quite a bit this season, it'd be nice to have a similar option on the right.

jackal&hyde

Must be playing with ETH's brain :drool:

Exceptional performances all season. Proving the doubters wrong again and again.

ti vu

If such a player can be found and persuaded to come here I wouldn’t object. But let’s not kid ourselves - Prime Pique would laugh at the idea of being back up and that’s before you think about what a player of his quality would cost.

We have a lot of other priorities and, I feel, trying to sign someone who is better than Shaw as a backup LCB is inventing a problem that just isn’t there.
Pique was rotation option in his first season back at Barcelona. Rafael Marquez, Puyol still started a lot. What happened back then is that we have Wes Brown, O'Shea as the first rotation option, with Johny Evans also in the mix of breaking through. It's bad timing.

When I said rotation I didn't mean bench warmer. Varane needs to be managed carefully. He would turn 30 very soon, and the player himself is the type you don't bet your house on him stay fit all season.

Shaw is our starter LB, and he's one of the best chances creators too. He would need some rest too here and there. A starter also being the main rotation for another position is not ideal. Having him as main rotation option for LCB position might mean that he plays when he should have been rested, or even worse, playing LCB when he's needed at LB.

Malacia is a fine rotation option, but he's not as good attacking wise.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

Pique was rotation option in his first season back at Barcelona. Rafael Marquez, Puyol still started a lot. What happened back then is that we have Wes Brown, O'Shea as the first rotation option, with Johny Evans also in the mix of breaking through. It's bad timing.

When I said rotation I didn't mean bench warmer. Varane needs to be managed carefully. He would turn 30 very soon, and the player himself is the type you don't bet your house on him stay fit all season.

Shaw is our starter LB, and he's one of the best chances creators too. He would need some rest too here and there. A starter also being the main rotation for another position is not ideal. Having him as main rotation option for LCB position might mean that he plays when he should have been rested, or even worse, playing LCB when he's needed at LB.

Malacia is a fine rotation option, but he's not as good attacking wise.
I pretty much agree with all that.

I understood you were saying Shaw had to get better at LCB or we’ll need to recruit. Another decent CB would be good to compete with Varane with a view to replacing him in a couple of years - if that same player can also cover for Martinez then Shaw can stay at LB and that’s great - he is, after all, one of the very best LBs in the world.

We do have some cover at CB so I still think we have higher priorities. But I do agree Shaw is important so we don’t want to play him continuously without rest.

If money’s no object then four top CBs properly competing for two places is where we’d like to be.

ForeverRed1

Gone from being a player I didn’t like much (during our toxic era) and wouldn’t have minded us selling, to a player I just fecking love. He’s always had the potential and good moments but he is another level lately. Just shows what difference a manager can make to the whole environment at a club. world class player and I hope he gets to win trophies in his united career.

mancsarered

Form of his career at the moment. What LB in world football is keeping him out of an XI at the moment?

If there is one, he can just slot in at LCB :) what a player

Hulme91

Having him and Martinez on that left side is just so ludicrously op that it's almost cheating... outstanding defenders, lot's of pace and are both technically brilliant

Steven7290

Hopefully its just a knock and he will be fine tomorrow. We will be kind of ok with Malacia for the Barca game but having him there with Martinez is a different level.

Dempsey19

He's been a monster this season. Another excellent performance from him today. I love how he makes things look so effortless.

Idxomer

Hopefully its just a knock and he will be fine tomorrow. We will be kind of ok with Malacia for the Barca game but having him there with Martinez is a different level.
I think he's fine, he did this run up to outside the penalty box after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.