Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

He'lmurderyah15

This lad drives me mad at times!!
I actually don't think there's a better defender technically in the world? Possibly Van Dijk and Alaba but in terms of touch, passing and strength he's as good as anyone. But some of the stuff he does drives me mad!
He is so slow at taking throw ins, especially annoying when we are building momentum.
Leeds were on a counter today and he stopped to fix his sock!
Then he stuck one on rashfords head and all was forgiven :)

rooney2009

He has turned into a very dependable player
He oozes class on the ball
1 of the best LB in the world at the moment

zenith

He's a powerhouse, a leader and invaluable in big games. Seems ETH seems to have helped him get his head right and emphasize the importance of consistency. Not to mention, some competition always helps.

flappyjay

He's a powerhouse, a leader and invaluable in big games. Seems ETH seems to have helped him get his head right and emphasize the importance of consistency. Not to mention, some competition always helps.
To be fair he has been class for 3 of 4 years now. Last year's slump made everyone forget how good he is.

Idxomer

It's like they said at Southampton: he's one of the most naturally-gifted players I've ever seen. Things that he finds simple 99.9% of players would struggle with.

If we could just sort out his head so he's a bit more consistent throughout the 90, he'd be world-class. And he still has pace to burn, even as an 'older' player.

Watching him and Maguire you'd never guess who was the accomplished CB and who was the United/England captain playing in their natural position.
That's the thing with Shaw, he has been arguably one of the top 3 left-backs in 3 of the last 4 seasons and you still feel like he hasn't reached his maximum potential.

The level of talent he operates from is insanely high which makes us expect always more from him.

Himannv

MOTM in a game where everyone struggled a bit. I think he was great with his interceptions on the whole and when he stepped forward a bit more towards the end of the first half it gave us more more of an attacking threat (somewhat undone by having his less assured CB partner sitting back and dealing with the counters). Made the difference once he switched to LB.

Skills

Snitch
Technically, he's a textbook. Everything he does with the ball at his feet is just so technically correct.

romufc

The way he took that ball from Sabitzer and then held off the challenge and then deliver a pin point cross, is amazing.

Mike Smalling

It's his combination of top class technique, lower body strength/balance, and ability to accelerate with the ball under close control that makes him really special.

Except for this over-reliance on his left foot, he looks like the kind of player that could work almost anywhere on the pitch.

Ibi Dreams

We don't really see it but apparently in training his finishing is really good. Worth a go up top?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I was expecting him to turn into Bale like player at some point.
Turns out he's slowly morphing into Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes kind of player.... Paul Ferdinand?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He's gonna be key today. Read some analysis on Barca that made it seem like their pressing trigger is the LCB getting the ball from the GK. Trying Shaw at CB was a great move by EtH. If we didn't have him I'd be bricking it with Lisandro absent. We absolutely need a left footed player there, that is also a good passer and decision maker.

romufc

He's gonna be key today. Read some analysis on Barca that made it seem like their pressing trigger is the LCB getting the ball from the GK. Trying Shaw at CB was a great move by EtH. If we didn't have him I'd be bricking it with Lisandro absent. We absolutely need a left footed player there, that is also a good passer and decision maker.
Yup, I watched a few journalists say that Barca are a very good pressing team these days, they are the best in La Liga in winning the ball back in the opponents half.

I would have feared Maguire in that position, he isn't press resistant, we saw against Leeds, he waits too long to play the ball.

I just dont understand why him and Lindelof do this, they wait ages before playing the pass, its almost as if they are saying, trigger your press, then panic plays the ball to the LB or RCB and we are under pressure.

Hopefully with Shaw, we can progress the ball better.

A-man

Yup, I watched a few journalists say that Barca are a very good pressing team these days, they are the best in La Liga in winning the ball back in the opponents half.

I would have feared Maguire in that position, he isn't press resistant, we saw against Leeds, he waits too long to play the ball.

I just dont understand why him and Lindelof do this, they wait ages before playing the pass, its almost as if they are saying, trigger your press, then panic plays the ball to the LB or RCB and we are under pressure.

Hopefully with Shaw, we can progress the ball better.
He’s been a bit of a hit and miss so far as CB. Thought he was great against City but poor last game where he didn’t look press resistant at all. Leeds press was very well executed however. Varane can also be stressed to mistakes under pressure so let’s hope they can keep it up today.

OrcaFat

I was expecting him to turn into Bale like player at some point.
Turns out he's slowly morphing into Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes kind of player.... Paul Ferdinand?
I agree he was shaping up like Bale. He used to pick it up in the LB position and run straight at the oppo’s goal. He was a small mental leap from scoring amazing solo goals that way but he just didn’t develop down that track. Instead he became a more patient, more measured player with his game built around technique and awareness. Very different but still brilliant.

Sylar

He's done well again. I remember him doing well as lcb against psg and we didn't see that much again. But in a two he's surprised me.

Will be good to have him back at lb next week and Martinez back in the starting line up

Mr Smith

His versatility is going to be a big asset for us in the coming years. Being able to slot straight into CB and not look out of place is also something SAF would have utilised regularly during his time.

PoTMS

What a player. Does he go back out to left back in the return leg? Harsh on Malacia who was brilliant tonight.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think he got a bit lucky on a couple occasions when Lewandowski did get the better of him... but then it's Robert fecking Lewandowski.
And, not a sight on Shaw, but we need Licha's passing from that left centre back spot (and, in turn, even when Malacia has a great game he still can't match Shaw's playmaking ability from left back).

Somehow I've already written about two negatives when overall it was a very good performance by Luke. Great when you consider that he only played a couple of games in his adult career as a center back in a back 4.

lex talionis

Superb. What a man, shifting from LB to CB so easily. How many footballers on the planet can pull that off.

RedIan

what a great centre half our first choice left back is proving to be. A really good game there again. Not 100% perfect but who was. When martinez is missing and luke slots in for him no one is phased… and Maguire and lindelof just look on.

Malone_Post

He’s a phenomenal footballer. Doesn’t get anywhere near the credit he deserves outside of United. He’s as a good a footballer as we have and I genuinely don’t think he’d look out of place in any squad in world football or any United squad of yesteryear. Left back, centre back, it doesn’t matter. I reckon you could put him in midfield and he’d do a great job there too. Seeing his development, and his comeback from so many injuries and setbacks, to become such an integral part of this team has been such a joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.