g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

The interesting thing about Luke Shaw is because there is a portion of the fan base that doesn't like him, his form goes unnoticed.

They keep bringing back, yeah but he needs competition, he isn't consistent arguments towards it.

I mean when we look at last season, no one looks good.

This season, I actually think he has been one of our best players and the best LB in the league.

Oranges038

Been one of his bigger critics and questioned his attitude in the past.

He's really kicked on. Really hope he keeps this form up, he's a top quality player when he's playing like he has.

InfiniteBoredom

Been one of his bigger critics and questioned his attitude in the past.

He's really kicked on. Really hope he keeps this form up, he's a top quality player when he's playing like he has.
This isn’t just ‘form’ though. He’s probably in the best moment of his career but his baseline level has been good since 19/20, except for last season when the whole team imploded and he had a tough time with niggling injuries again. If any other player performs well 3 out of recent 4 seasons, they sure wouldn’t have all the question marks about drive and competition accompanying them.

Oranges038

This isn’t just ‘form’ though. He’s probably in the best moment of his career but his baseline level has been good since 19/20, except for last season when the whole team imploded and he had a tough time with niggling injuries again. If any other player performs well 3 out of recent 4 seasons, they sure wouldn’t have all the question marks about drive and competition accompanying them.
He was pretty poor last season.

Season before he was good. Smashed it at the Euros.

Before that he was doing alright, but you always felt there was more in him.

He's upped his game, there's less of the lazy fouls and he's more attentive and aggressive. Part of that I think comes from having Martinez there, he kind of sets the tone for the rest of the defenders.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
When he gets the ball in that inside left channel you just get excited. He's so creative from that area and his passing is always quality.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
As another poster alluded to, he's been class since 19/20 after getting past long term injuries. I wouldn't judge him on last season, because if we did then there would be no squad left, with everyone wanted one player or another sold!

One thing I do feel has been taken up another notch is his delivery into the box. Those crosses are so bloody accurate and deadly!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Another example of why some players require patience. Came back from one of the worst injuries. Clearly had issues mentally and a rotton apple of a manager in Mourinho who probably set him back a year or two.

dal

I think the key to him is aggression. He looks far more aggressive in attack and defence, it’s so fantastic to see. They all play with aggression even Dalot. Wan Bissaka will develop this too I feel.

Mike Smalling

Is there a better left-back in the world right now? I doubt it.

I know it's a week ago, but the way he brought down that Sabitzer pass, shrugged off a defender and placed the most perfect cross on Rashfords head, was just sublime.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is there a better left-back in the world right now? I doubt it.

I know it's a week ago, but the way he brought down that Sabitzer pass, shrugged off a defender and placed the most perfect cross on Rashfords head, was just sublime.
The pass was slightly behind where he'd want it as well but he had the awareness to use his body to block the player behind him and kind of use that 'bump' he receives as momentum before swinging the cross in.

Chairman Steve

Fantastic player. He‘s finally hit that consistency to become one of the best in the world for his position. I can see him being a centre-back full time once he loses that yard integral to be a full back.

As an aside, his PSV scar is pretty grim

He is having another really good season. He is an up and down player, has had a few ropey seasons for us, but when he's on it he is very very good.

youngrell

He's just a great all round footballer, technically brilliant and physically superior to most of his opponents.

Quite frustrating that it's actually taken this long for him to put it together, whether it was down to laziness or concentration levels. Crazy to think this is a guy that Mourinho felt needed constant coaching from the sideline.

Hope he can keep this up for the remainder of his career because he really is fantastic at the moment. Confidence is through the roof and plays the game on his terms.

Darkhorsez

Amazing season so far and he is as undroppable as Rashy, Case, Bruno. I feel every time the ball is with him, something will happen and he hardly ever loses the ball.

romufc

is he the Best LB in the world atm? Good WC too/
This is somethings people don't take notice, Luke Shaw had a very good world cup. He has been the our most consistent player.

They keep saying Shaw cant keep fit, this season he has done really well.

Mr.Hik

What a season.
And feck off Mourinho. Fecking bully.
Thank god we didnt sold him.

BorisManUtd

Fantastic player. He‘s finally hit that consistency to become one of the best in the world for his position. I can see him being a centre-back full time once he loses that yard integral to be a full back.

As an aside, his PSV scar is pretty grim

That injury at PSV was so horrific. It only delayed his developed thankfully but he was excellent at start of that season and was showing everything we get to see years later.

Superunknown

I will fully admit that I criticised him in previous seasons and stopped seeing the potential that was originally promised. But, this season, it's like we finally got the player we signed all those years ago. Finally, a manager who is getting the most out of him and is enabling him to play exciting football. He looks great. He's won me around and now I want him to play every week. Well done, Luke.

Gazza

He seems to adopt the mannerisms/vibes of the teammates who surround him. When he had Maguire to his right and Pogba on his side in midfield, he also seemed laborious and languid. Casemiro and Martinez have brought the best out of him.

arthurka

No one ever doubted his talent but he is finally putting his attitude to match. Absolute mint these days

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
So dependable this season. Unbelievable. Is there a defender in the prem you'd swap him for?

marktan

Not sure why so many are saying it's taken this long for him to put it together? He was greaf in the season leading up to the Euros, people were calling him Shawberto Carlos and all that. Pretty much all the England team players we have were terrible post Euros last season, as it was a long season with 1) no pre-season break (covid) 2) no post season break due to the Euros run. So effectively players like Shaw played 10 (2020) + 50 (2021) + 8 (euros) + 30 (21/2022) games in a row with no break.

Tbh I've always thought he was good, even in those dark Mourinho days, where he'd get one game a month, look very good but still be benched by Mourinho for 'attitude' issues and whoever was the crapper player we played at LB at the time.

Thiagoal

I’m loving how ETH has his fullbacks inverted. You get to see that Shaw would work really well as a defensive midfielder. His positioning and reading of the game is fantastic and he’s just so composed in possession! He oozes class!!

jesperjaap

Its easy to forget what a sensational young full back he was at SOuthampton. Doesnt guarantee success, looke at Phil Jones.

But there has always been a lot of talent. He has had injuries, problems with manages, apparent attitude or appliacation prblems, positionign weaknesses and no international football.

I always liked him and though he has had a lot of poor periods than I dont think can be fully excused by injuries etc, never wanted him sold.

I think international football has helped him get back belief and desire, seen a bit of that with Rashford too.

I can understand peopl edoubting him, I doubted he would really make it at times and he still has a way to got the next few seasons but he genuinely looks like the player now we hoped and alsoa very good centre back as well to boot which I never saw personally in him. With Malacia doing well and Martinex exceptional this also means Maguire doesnt need directly replacing in the squad in the summer....with other centre backs leaving that could be a big boost in looking for a young talented right sided centre back to cover and succeed Varane and his injury problems

jesperjaap

Cant really disagree with that, a good point. I think part of the problem was that last season Telles was garbage and there was the argument that he has only performed with gompetition for his place at times, I mean could even use that argument this season.

I do think injuries permitting we are going to get more of a top level Shaw the next few seasons though. Although at full back his positioning still isnt perfect, his reading of the game has improved and he seems to have matured more as a player. Think the real Luke SHaw is here to stay finally now, as your point already suggests

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I have labelled him the best LB in world football for a good few years now. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t have weaknesses, they are just not glaring or as bad as others’.
If there is one thing I’d like to see in his game, it’ll be a bit of urgency but then that’s more of personality than anything.
Brilliant footballer.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What Luke Shaw is developing is football intelligence. Moment, type of, weight and creative passes.
Long may it continue.
He's more experienced and maturing, because of his injuries, in football terms his experience and maturity levels are probably about the same as Rashford's even though he's a couple of years or so older - I think we always knew he had it in him, we just didn't know if he'd reach the level he's now at

Idxomer

Not sure why so many are saying it's taken this long for him to put it together? He was greaf in the season leading up to the Euros, people were calling him Shawberto Carlos and all that. Pretty much all the England team players we have were terrible post Euros last season, as it was a long season with 1) no pre-season break (covid) 2) no post season break due to the Euros run. So effectively players like Shaw played 10 (2020) + 50 (2021) + 8 (euros) + 30 (21/2022) games in a row with no break.

Tbh I've always thought he was good, even in those dark Mourinho days, where he'd get one game a month, look very good but still be benched by Mourinho for 'attitude' issues and whoever was the crapper player we played at LB at the time.
He started to put it together in 18/19 and was on an upward trajectory till the Euros as you said. Last season was the only setback but he had multiple injuries and I think had surgery due to his old leg break at the end of the season.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I've never really liked Luke Shaw and during his patches of playing well, I just felt an injury, lack of application, mistake was just around the corner.

I've changed my stance this season, he's now one of the best full backs in the world and a joy to watch.

next_number_seven

It's funny that when we signed him, he was the most expensive teenager and 4th most expensive defender. Seems quaint.

Who actually signed him? Moyes scouted him and then Van Gaal oked it I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.