Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RkkMan

He's better than Evra but people aren't ready for that conversation

Oranges038

Having a hell if season.

Fairplay to him, I'd written him off but what a player he his when he's in this kind of form.

BarstoolProphet

He's just a brilliant allround footballer. Wouldn't be surprised to see him deliver the goods even at CM and CF.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
When we signed him and for the first few years I never thought he would be this good.

Patience is definitely important with some players.

Idxomer

He’s quite simply a tremendous footballer. Had he played in a Sir Alex Ferguson team I think many would have him as one of the best left backs in PL history. Sounds like hyperbole but I’ve never seen anything like it, I’ve never seen a fullback as complete as he is, he’s so good you could stick him up front and I bet he’d do a job. There’s not enough superlatives to describe him when he’s on it.
I said similar before. If he were playing in a dominant team since 2018, he would be in the conversation for the best left-back England has ever produced.

Sylar

Beautiful assist. Feels like he has more than 5 this season with his delivery.
Said it in the match day thread when we get a free kick out on the left he's got that delivery down to a fine art now. Been a great avenue for goals and chances all season
He put the exact same ball into the box v Leicester a week ago which Martinez headed onto the bar

What will help if we have people who want to attack the deliveries he puts in

reelworld

When he's at his best, he never seems to need to get out of second gear. Similar to Irwin in that sense. Excellent performance.
He's at the level that the game seems to slow down for him and he'd have all the time in the world to make the right pass, the right tackle, the right play over and over again.

romufc

He must be the most consistent player we have right now. He is definitely the first names on the team sheet for Ten Hag.

He is an absolute beast.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Elite player, he is probably our most consistent player from 2018-19 season.

Rossa

Currently, yes, but in their prime or for longevity, not even that close. Evra was the best fullback in the world for a season or two with other great candidates around. Shaw is in the discussion currently, but he's still too inconsistent.

Last night, whenever they attacked down his flank, they pretty much made a cross from his side. He has a wand of a left foot and brilliant technique, but he is lacking defensively. He's a little slow on the first five yards, and he often keeps too much distance from his attackers to close them down. Evra did the same, but he was much, much quicker and thus was more able to put in a tackle. Going forwards, Evra was also more ingenious and better at bringing the ball forward, although I think Shaw might have a better final ball.

Rossa

He must be the most consistent player we have right now. He is definitely the first names on the team sheet for Ten Hag.

He is an absolute beast.
What? Martinez and Casemiro definitely ahead in terms of consistency and importance to the team. Rashford as well. I'd put Varane in there to top it off, so not even top three... He's great, but we have better players and more important players.

romufc

What? Martinez and Casemiro definitely ahead in terms of consistency and importance to the team. Rashford as well. I'd put Varane in there to top it off, so not even top three... He's great, but we have better players and more important players.
Luke Shaw is up there with importance in the team, which is shown by Ten Hag using him at CB and LB.

I get it, fans don't want to give credit to Shaw but in my opinion he is one of the first one on the team sheet.

Rossa

Luke Shaw is up there with importance in the team, which is shown by Ten Hag using him at CB and LB.

I get it, fans don't want to give credit to Shaw but in my opinion he is one of the first one on the team sheet.
You don't get it. I think Shaw is brilliant. He's got arguably the best first touch in the squad. He has a very sweet left foot, with some long range passing that I don't think I've quite seen from him before this season, which is also especially evident when playing as a centre back. He's strong as an ox, very good in the air and is excellent in build-up play.

His one-on-one defending is, however, quite frankly poor. Compare him to AWB and it's not even close. The number of crosses coming in from Shaw's side was troubling, especially when you have someone with Trippier's ability. He stays too far from his attacker and let's them get by him, and then he is not able to get back in the tackle. It happens over and over again. He lacks aggression in his defending, even if he did have a couple of very nice interceptions yesterday.

I love him as a player - I think he's very important to how we play, but in no way is he as important to us as Casemiro, or Martinez or Varane. I'd argue Rashford this season is more important as well. That means that I'd argue he's our fifth most important player, which is still good because all the aforementioned are ridiculously good this season, and Shaw is having a helluva season himself.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The number of crosses coming in from Shaw's side was troubling, especially when you have someone with Trippier's ability.
You... realise this was Rashfords man to mark right?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
You don't need to play in final to claim a trophy. Bloody hell.
So Lindelof, Garnacho, Malacia, Martial etc...didn't won LC yesterday?
Calm down, buddy. I just meant this will mean a lot more, him having been injured for the others.

MadMike

If he didn't have that horrendous injury followed immediately by Mou's miserable management, he would have been the best LB in the world for the last 4-5 years consistently. He's some player, Chunkberto Carlos

Mike Smalling

He puts in some wonderful crosses, and he chooses some good games to come up with assists as well. Last minute equalizer against Chelsea away (Casemiro), opening goal against Leeds away (Rashford), and now in a cup final.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
At his best he arguably is (he is developing a better final ball than Evra ever had), but he needs to do it consistently for a few years before we go that far. Evra was the best leftback in the world for about three years, and one of the best for a few more years after that.

Shaw has had two seasons where he's been arguably the best, but they were wrapped around another season where he was very poor. He was also fairly good for a couple seasons before that but not at 'world-class' level.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
One thing I must say is though how some fans ridiculed VG for wanting to sign a left footed CB for better passing from the back.

And everyone is doing that now.
Well said. I love Shaw; always have. Was gutted when he was injured in an awful tackle. The key to Luke is that he is a wonderful instinctive natural footballer. Stroke of genius by the boss to see his potential as a Centre half. But that free kick set us on the road to the Cup. Well done Luke.

scottser

His backheel for rashford's goal was sublime. This is the player that mourinho said that he's OK as long as someone else does his thinking for him..

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
He’s quite simply a tremendous footballer. Had he played in a Sir Alex Ferguson team I think many would have him as one of the best left backs in PL history. Sounds like hyperbole but I’ve never seen anything like it, I’ve never seen a fullback as complete as he is, he’s so good you could stick him up front and I bet he’d do a job. There’s not enough superlatives to describe him when he’s on it.
He genuinely has one of the best first touches I've ever seen in a footballer.

MadDogg

Freaking Telles took his place just last season.
No he didn't. Shaw was always first choice when he was fit. It's just that he missed a lot of time (including almost the entire second half of the season) through a few different injuries and illness.

He was poor last season, but he was basically only fit for the first three months, and then later on the month of February.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No he didn't. Shaw was always first choice when he was fit. It's just that he missed a lot of time (including almost the entire second half of the season) through a few different injuries and illness.

He was poor last season, but he was basically only fit for the first three months, and then later on the month of February.
Yeah. I was responding to comment that he's been brilliant in the last few years. He was poor after that Euro. Most probably because he'd been carrying injuries. Then under RR, Telles was first choice.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'd say he's more naturally talented than our Patrice but he hasn't provided the consistency the former did to be considered superior.

He's got time though so he could get there.

MadDogg

Yeah. I was responding to comment that he's been brilliant in the last few years. He was poor after that Euro. Most probably because he'd been carrying injuries. Then under RR, Telles was first choice.
No he wasn't. Telles only played most games because Shaw wasn't fit. Shaw started almost all the games he was actually fit for.

Shaw was basically only fit for the first third of the season. In the last two thirds of the season he suffered two concussions in quite short succession, a one match suspension, a hamstring injury, covid, then the leg injury which ultimately saw him go back under the knife to remove the metal bolts in his leg from the horror leg break he once had. He was fit for the month of February (and started all games bar one) but otherwise wasn't available while Rangnick was here. So Telles was never first choice, he just played because he was the only one available.

He was poor last season, but I think it should be noted that it was hardly a full season of bad form. It was basically a third of a season, which was sandwiched between two seasons where he was arguably the best in the world. The poor form shouldn't be forgotten but it also shouldn't be overstated.

Status
Not open for further replies.