Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m loving my life

we have to give them playing time as if we have injuries or suspensions they won't be match fit
Can they not play U23 every week? And U19 as well? They would be super fit then, and when in GW37 we need one of them, they can step up.

flappyjay

As it stands I think his and David's contracts should be allowed to expire.

saik

Honestly, with the exception of Sancho I'm happy with letting all of our British contingent go. None of them are good enough and are just plain trash on most occasions. Promote couple of youth players if we want that homegrown quota filled in.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
fecking waster drives me mad. I always remember Juan Matas comments about him about having all the tools there to be the best but nope.... He's just a lazy fat feck

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well, he's on 150K and it's unlikely he'd take a significant drop in wages. So yes, I think that would be the sensible option.

This thing with the mentality and application is something his coaches talked about from way back at Southampton.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Just seems like a player that’s happy to just be there. Shaw at his peak is one of the best in the world in that position. Fast, strong, good tackler , technically very sound, good passer. The problem is he doesn’t give enough of a shit to stay in shape and put in that type of effort week in and week out. He’s just happy being a United player.

BorisManUtd

2018-2021 version of Shaw was easily our first option at LB and very important in our overall game. Like Maguire, he's been poor since the Euros unfortunately.

HookedOnAPhelan

Hasn't played a minute of football since being subbed at half time against Brentford. Is there a way back for him? I expect him to start against Sociedad, but I doubt he has the fight in him to claw his way back into the first 11. I hope I'm wrong though.

Bwuk

Hasn't played a minute of football since being subbed at half time against Brentford. Is there a way back for him? I expect him to start against Sociedad, but I doubt he has the fight in him to claw his way back into the first 11. I hope I'm wrong though.
He’ll start the Europa but it’s Malacias spot to lose and I don’t see ETH changing our first choice defence Atm.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Malacia struggled with Saka, Saka might have completely destroyed Shaw with his speed, trickery and energy.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He had a superb season a couple of years ago, but post World cup just seemed to drop off a cliff.
For the first time in his career here he really has it all to do to stay.

I'm relaxed about it. If he fights back strongly, it's for our benefit.
If he doesn't, we'll see him out the door.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Malacia struggled with Saka, Saka might have completely destroyed Shaw with his speed, trickery and energy.
In recent form, it doesn't bear thinking about.
Malacia has made a good start, but still has plenty to learn. He won't get too many more difficult opponents this season though.

DON’T PANIC ™

Telles would have conceded at least one penalty today. At least Malacia chose not to tackle him when Saka got past him in the box. Not sure what Shaw would have done tbh.

BuzzKillington

Despite everybody in here liking to call him fat, I can never remember Shaw getting cooked for pace. He’s genuinely rapid.

Malacia is first choice LB for me for his attitude, which seems to be far superior to Shaw. Given how poor we looked last season and in those first two losses this season, having players with fight is inarguably more important to us at the moment than footballing ability. Shaws main issue is he’s soft as feck, and mentally weak. He crumbles under the slightest criticism or if things aren’t going well.

In terms of actual football ability, especially going forward where Malacia currently offers feck all, an in form Shaw is undoubtedly the better full back. Anybody who says different has an agenda or is blind. Malacia is 21, of course he’s not going to be on the top of his game, yet.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He had a superb season a couple of years ago, but post World cup just seemed to drop off a cliff.
For the first time in his career here he really has it all to do to stay.

I'm relaxed about it. If he fights back strongly, it's for our benefit.
If he doesn't, we'll see him out the door.
You mean the euros?

Witchking

Despite everybody in here liking to call him fat, I can never remember Shaw getting cooked for pace. He’s genuinely rapid.

Malacia is first choice LB for me for his attitude, which seems to be far superior to Shaw. Given how poor we looked last season and in those first two losses this season, having players with fight is inarguably more important than actual ability. Shaws main issue is he’s soft as feck, and mentally weak. He crumbles under the slightest criticism or of things aren’t going well.

In terms of actual football ability, especially going forward where Malacia currently offers feck all, an in form Shaw is undoubtedly the better full back. Anybody who says different has an agenda or is blind. Malacia is 21, of course he’s not going to be on the top of his game yet.
In form Shaw is a rare occurrence and we cannot keep playing him every game. This should be his last season at United. Flattered too much.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Malacia is first choice LB for me for his attitude, which seems to be far superior to Shaw. Given how poor we looked last season and in those first two losses this season, having players with fight is inarguably more important to us at the moment than footballing ability. Shaws main issue is he’s soft as feck, and mentally weak. He crumbles under the slightest criticism or if things aren’t going well.

In terms of actual football ability, especially going forward where Malacia currently offers feck all, an in form Shaw is undoubtedly the better full back. Anybody who says different has an agenda or is blind. Malacia is 21, of course he’s not going to be on the top of his game, yet.
He has lapses of concentration where he got yelled at by De Gea of all people. He might not be fat but he definitely is lazy and his performance drops several levels when he has no pressure for his spot.

I also disagree that Malacia offers feck all in attack, it’s tactically instructed for the fullbacks to drop into midfield instead of overlap in the outside. Dalot is usually a lot more adventurous on the other side as well.

BuzzKillington

In form Shaw is a rare occurrence and we cannot keep playing him every game. This should be his last season at United. Flattered too much.
He is exactly the kind of player we’d sell and he’d go and smash it elsewhere. He’s not irreplaceable and I think Malacia has the ability to be better than him, albeit in a different way. But he needs some time. Time that’s made easier by having another fullback we can play.

Telles is shit, and there’s no reason Shaw can’t regain his best form with some good coaching a la McT. We should keep shaw for now and see how it goes. If he doesn’t rediscoverhis form, by all means get rid, but we should be keeping an open mind with most of the players at the moment barring the irretrievably lost like AwB or DvdB.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Mentality matters, even when you're not starting.

I still think we should look to ship him out, we can find someone else to challenge Malacia for the left back position.

Irwin99

Agree with almost all this post but, earlier this season in the 4-0 thrashing against Brentford? 3rd goal I believe, he doesn't get back in time and loses the sprint. He also has a lot of yellow cards in his career for tugging back an opponent who gets away from him at the first instance. He is really quick when he gets going but i've see him beaten quite a few times.

Completely agree that if Shaw was at his 20-21 form he'd easily be in the team ahead of Malacia who is still very raw but as you said, even then, I think Malacia plays with more energy and aggression. Shaw's technique is superb but i just don't trust the guy to stay fit, avoid injury or keep concentration for 90 minutes.

He lost his place to Telles last season and if he can't get it back from Malacia at any point this season then we might as well just as well get rid.

Jacob

His confidence must be shattered. Seeing your team get results and keep clean sheets when you've been benched.

Scottynaldinho

Many would be taking egg on the face when he'll be the mainstay at that leftback position. He's miles ahead of Malacia it's not even debatable.

Can't wait him to replace Malacia, the only obvious weakness in the defense.

crossy1686

career ending
Many would be taking egg on the face when he'll be the mainstay at that leftback position. He's miles ahead of Malacia it's not even debatable.

You must be on crack mate. Shaw has been average at best with one good season the 8 years he’s been here. Fecking waste of a player, and that’s not even taking into consideration that 70% of our goals came down the left side of defence last season! And you want him back in!

Greck

He, Maguire, AWB, the cockiness around their starting prospects is why it's satisfying to watch them lose priority. That the team is thriving without is just the cherry. Shaw especially who coaches don't seem to fancy. His lack of effort and unwillingness to exert himself can't help. Shaw should be a better player than he is today.

CM

I think this might actually be a good thing for Shaw in the long run. With the correct motivation Shaw can be a great player. He's rightly out of the team at the moment but technically he is still a very good player and can progress the ball well.

Legitimate competition for his place might give Shaw the fight he's been lacking for the last 12 months. The season before last he was excellent, and he carried that form into the Euros for England. He just needs to rediscover that.

BuzzKillington

Agree with almost all this post but, earlier this season in the 4-0 thrashing against Brentford? 3rd goal I believe, he doesn't get back in time and loses the sprint. He also has a lot of yellow cards in his career for tugging back an opponent who gets away from him at the first instance. He is really quick when he gets going but i've see him beaten quite a few times.

Completely agree that if Shaw was at his 20-21 form he'd easily be in the team ahead of Malacia who is still very raw but as you said, even then, I think Malacia plays with more energy and aggression. Shaw's technique is superb but i just don't trust the guy to stay fit, avoid injury or keep concentration for 90 minutes.

He lost his place to Telles last season and if he can't get it back from Malacia at any point this season then we might as well just as well get rid.
I think even the fastest players can lose a foot race if their hearts not in it or they get caught flat footed. My argument with Shaw is the same as it was for people wanting to shift McT when we received some offers for him in the window.

In our current position as a not great team, you improve your squad by replacing your worst players with players better than your best one where possible (obviously you can’t do this if you have a world beater in a position, but I don’t think that applies here). We should sell Telles at the first available opportunity (we don’t need three left backs), then replace Shaw with a player better than Malacia.

Hulme91

I think this might actually be a good thing for Shaw in the long run. With the correct motivation Shaw can be a great player. He's rightly out of the team at the moment but technically he is still a very good player and can progress the ball well.

Legitimate competition for his place might give Shaw the fight he's been lacking for the last 12 months. The season before last he was excellent, and he carried that form into the Euros for England. He just needs to rediscover that.
And that's what's irritating about him, he's clearly a vastly more talented player than Malacia but he constantly needs something existential to push him on or his form collapses

Revaulx

I can see this happening if ten Hag gets sacked and replaced by Gareth Southgate.

Marwood

Why isn't he starting now then?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

No he is not miles ahead of Malacia

RVN1991

Must be fat boys burner account no chance son you're done. Glad to not have to see that overpaid tub of lard put in half hearted performances week in and week out. Hated Mourinho but he was 100 percent right about this waster, should've gotten rid ages ago.

RVN1991

And that's what's irritating about him, he's clearly a vastly more talented player than Malacia but he constantly needs something existential to push him on or his form collapses
Is he though? The guys has been good for like a season and a half since he joined us, maybe just maybe he's a lazy waste of space who's lost what made him good at Southampton in the first place. Glad to see him and Maguire nowhere near the starting 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.