LVG Out Thread | BBC: Sacked!

Do you want LVG sacked?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainu

I do not get all this about us becoming a manager merry-go-round if we sack Van Gaal. Do people consider Bayern a sacking club? Before they entered their current great period under Heynckes and later Pep they had a similar rough period with Klinsmann getting sacked in his first year (their Moyes you could say) and then Van Gaal in his second afterwards. We all know how that worked out for them. Sometimes being decisive like that pays off. Other times, like in Fergie's first three years, being patient pays off, but Van Gaal in 2015 is no Fergie in 1990. There's a good case to be made for Van Gaal's methods and ideas being outdated and us not having a mid- to long-term future under him anyway, so being patient does not seem like a good idea in this case. There are no guarantees, but success under the likes of Mourinho or Guardiola seems a damn sight more likely than under Van Gaal.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Fergie was never as bad as Mourinho in that regard. We often played at a slower tempo away from home, but we didn't often concede possession and sit deep. We did against Barcelona away from home, but that is of course forgivable.
We really did.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Fergie was never as bad as Mourinho in that regard. We often played at a slower tempo away from home, but we didn't often concede possession and sit deep. We did against Barcelona away from home, but that is of course forgivable.
But we did, plenty of time.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
We really did.
My memory of our away games in Europe was of Fergie overloading the midfield and of us manipulating the ball without much intent for large periods of the game. There were occasions where we just looked to defend a lead, but really, how often was this happening compared to Mourinho's Chelsea? The reason I know it was not as often is because it was a massive shock to me when we played with just 40% possession at the camp Nou against Barca in the 08 season. I was simply not used to us being so starved of the ball.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Manchester United hold crisis talks with Wayne Rooney leading stars asking boss Louis van Gaal to change his methods
Louis van Gaal held crisis talks with senior Manchester United players following last Saturday's disastrous 2-1 defeat against Norwich City at Old Trafford.

United captain Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick, Chris Smalling and Juan Mata were among the most vocal players involved in the full and frank discussion with the Dutchman.

The latest exchange of views focused on his hardline training methods, the nature of his strict regime and the tactics used by the team on matchdays.

United's players believe the club's crippling injury list is being caused by over-training and have asked the Dutchman to ease off in some of the sessions.

Van Gaal is also facing a Spanish revolt by Mata and Ander Herrera, who fear their confused playing role at Old Trafford threatens their selection in Spain's squad for the European Championship.

However, this week's clear-the-air talks resulted in players and management reaching an agreement to work together in an attempt to get United's season back on track.

Van Gaal is understood to have encouraged the dialogue between players and management after dressing-room morale sank to an all-time low under his leadership.

Van Gaal has also spoken with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward this week in an attempt to resolve some of the issues between the management and the players.

Although sacked Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is angling for Van Gaal's job, United are reluctant to dance to the Portuguese coach's tune.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...n-Gaal-asked-change-methods-senior-stars.html

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
My memory of our away games in Europe was of Fergie overloading the midfield and of us manipulating the ball without much intent for large periods of the game. There were occasions where we just looked to defend a lead, but really, how often was this happening compared to Mourinho's Chelsea? The reason I know it was not as often is because it was a massive shock to me when we played with just 40% possession at the camp Nou against Barca in the 08 season. I was simply not used to us being so starved of the ball.
We went for years going to Euro away games and setting up to avoid defeat, hoping to maybe nick a 1-0 and then relying on doing the business at home.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
You don't deliberately lose possession, but the idea is to give the opposition a false sense of being in charge. It was actually one of Sir Alex's preferred methods to sit back and break with speedsters. You obviously missed some great moments with Kanchelskis, Giggs, Sharp, Ronaldo, etc... scoring on breakaways.

Zoo

Manchester United hold crisis talks with Wayne Rooney leading stars asking boss Louis van Gaal to change his methods
Louis van Gaal held crisis talks with senior Manchester United players following last Saturday's disastrous 2-1 defeat against Norwich City at Old Trafford.

United captain Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick, Chris Smalling and Juan Mata were among the most vocal players involved in the full and frank discussion with the Dutchman.

The latest exchange of views focused on his hardline training methods, the nature of his strict regime and the tactics used by the team on matchdays.

United's players believe the club's crippling injury list is being caused by over-training and have asked the Dutchman to ease off in some of the sessions.

Van Gaal is also facing a Spanish revolt by Mata and Ander Herrera, who fear their confused playing role at Old Trafford threatens their selection in Spain's squad for the European Championship.

However, this week's clear-the-air talks resulted in players and management reaching an agreement to work together in an attempt to get United's season back on track.

Van Gaal is understood to have encouraged the dialogue between players and management after dressing-room morale sank to an all-time low under his leadership.

Van Gaal has also spoken with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward this week in an attempt to resolve some of the issues between the management and the players.

Although sacked Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is angling for Van Gaal's job, United are reluctant to dance to the Portuguese coach's tune.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...n-Gaal-asked-change-methods-senior-stars.html
Well it's written by Neil Ashton and a Spanish revolt? Mata has been a bit crap from the start here plus Herrera has never been selected by Spain and isn't likely to be just 6 months before the Euro's.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
We went for years going to Euro away games and setting up to avoid defeat, hoping to maybe nick a 1-0 and then relying on doing the business at home.
Yes, the approach was often exactly that. I accept that. It was not my favourite period under Fergie, but it never reached the bus-parking levels of Mourinho's side, and certainly we would never allow a team to have 70% possession at Old Trafford. Is it really up for debate that Mourinho is a far more conservative manager than Ferguson was? Are we really willing to engage in revisionism just to excuse Mourinho's negative approach?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
That Rafael Hernandez talks about Man United more than any other team, because many of his followers are United fans so he makes tweets for the RTs. I'm not even talking about the Mouriniho tweet, the way he makes the worst case scenario tweet with claims like 'Arsenal finally looking convincing' pissed me off. Always ignore him.

itso 7

If he is too thick to notice some of the things raised by the players on his own then things are worse than we thought. He is the manager, the brains of the outfit yet he can't notice that his training regime is too much!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That Rafael Hernandez talks about Man United more than any other team, because many of his followers are United fans so he makes tweets for the RTs. I'm not even talking about the Mouriniho tweet, the way he makes the worst case scenario tweet with claims like 'Arsenal finally looking convincing' pissed me off. Always ignore him.
Arsenal will be in a complete mess once Wenger retires.

Manny

Grammar Police
If this is to be believed and the team turns it around, they'll lay all the plaudits at Rooney feet..

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
This.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

We need to go for Mourinho asap but I fear that if we ever had any intention of doing it Van Gaal would be gone by now. Giggs after the Christmas period is the grim reality.

bubbles_

We're repeating the same mistakes again and again. If we miss out on Mourinho with all the top managers going to our rivals it will be scandalous.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If this is to be believed and the team turns it around, they'll lay all the plaudits at Rooney feet..
To be fair Rooney might have said to bench him which would be a start.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Maybe Mourinho to Madrid is one huge Mendez master plan: huge commision for that and then the inevitable Ronaldo to United move as soon as Mourinho sacks Ronnie.

So many complicated variables at play here with seemingly distant influences playing a huge role.

Riz

Reading Alastair Campbell's book on winning where he talks to the best people in their respective fields about success. Some of the quotes are staggeringly relevant:

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

"Hoping for your opponent to make a mistake is not a strategy." - Garry Kasparov

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What if chelsea manage to get Guardiola? That would also really mix things up and piss off Mourinho so much!!!!!!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
In a very dull and predictable way, yes. The problem is not with a lack of endeavour, but more to do with the rigid structure of van Gaal's coaching; he's stifling the players and needs to stop. Either way, Van Gaal comprises 18 months of our club's history. Why do you think Mourinho would be the solution to our tumescent football? He's never taken a side that was underperforming and made them play expansive easy-on-the-eye football. I predict it will be the catenaccio for us.
What I have seen this season is nothing to do with attacking football. And I am not alone in saying that we have been worse than woeful.

He may have been a very good manager once, but it looks very much in the past based on current evidence.
He has lost the plot. He cannot seem to understand what has worked for him before is not working anymore. I think he cannot trust himself anymore either. His entire demeanor is one of confusion.

He is done and he knows it. The board has been professional and handled this well. He will be asked to leave soon and Mourinho appointed.

I will beg to differ. Jose does play attacking football. But he also can be very pragmatic, which is where the accusation comes that he is defensive. He will get results. His personality is abbrasive and he can be petty. But the man gets results. I don't see him as a long term manager. In fact I don't see anyone as a long term manager other than one day if someone from within the club becomes the manager...big IF. This is modern football.
My main reason of why I want him in fast is I feel certain he can still get us the title, instead of just settle for 4th spot. We still have a very good squad. but they lack direction and self belief.

In the big scheme of things van Gaal and even Moyes are not huge mistakes. Because we are not waiting to make decisions. For that we need to look at what happened after Sir Matt. We got lucky with Docherty and threw him away. Until Fergie. The rest is history.

itso 7

I find strange that nobody had the guts to tell Rooney that he is the dead weight dragging the team down. Guess the 'frank' talk didn't go that far...

Bojan11

What's to say Mendes is leaking this Mourinho to Madrid, so we actually move fast.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Van Gaal will turn it round just enough to keep his job but not enough to really achieve anything. Which is the very worst outcome possible right now.

All other decent managers will be long fecking gone by the time Woodward is ready to accept he made a mistake hiring Van Gaal.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Not believing that there's one specific way United should play and it is only possible through employing someone who has been at the club for at least 10 years and is a club legend is not equal to not caring about traditions. There's one team in Europe who has a distinct way of playing and you could hardly ever imagine that team playing anything different: Barcelona. It's difficult to imagine Barcelona parking the bus, even during their worst period in 2000s they still at least attempted to play offensive football with lots of passing. And even in their case the style was implemented slightly over 20 years ago by Cruyff from what I remember, it wasn't there from early 60s or anything.

Attacking football with young players is such condescending nonsense though. Which big clubs are persistently defensive? Aside from Italian clubs who are renowned for their cattenacio (and even they have become way more offensive), all top clubs in the world are mostly offensive. We haven't been ultra attacking during all our time under Ferguson, it's just load of crap. Were we offensive against Real Madrid when we set out to contain them twice (and almost succeeded)? Were we offensive against City when we lost the title? Were we offensive when we scrapped all those 1-0 wins away from home in Europe? Of course not because Ferguson clearly recognized the demands of football and was flexible enough tactically to approach games in a different manner. As I've said, we went through so many styles under Ferguson - from ultra attacking gung ho approach through counter attacking balanced football to a defensively sound side that set the record for consecutive games without conceded goal in 2009 (was that ultra attacking football too?), to even passing side in his final seasons.

Young players is also another thing that bothers me. We pretend to be Barcelona here again, pretend that we've built our success purely on youth products, only blending a few bought players here and there, when the fact is that since class of 1992, which funnily was 23 years ago, we haven't really produced world class players through our academy. A few talented youngsters here and there went on to become squad players here (O'Shea, Welbeck, Cleverley, Fletcher) but none of them ultimately went on to be one of the best in the world in their positions. Which is yet another reason why it'd be good to use fresh approach and maybe modernize our academy a little so we don't need to look at our opponents and see that they produce more complete players through their acadamies. Not saying there's necessarily something wrong with the way we work with youth as it's clearly very difficult to embed a youngster into a team in this day and age, but let's not pretend that our last 10 years were based on promoting from within the ranks - they weren't.

It's a special club with tradition, with amazing stadium that oozes atmosphere, with incredible history with ups and downs, with the most iconic manager in the history of football that we've all had the luck to support. A club with great local support and worldwide recognition. It's truly one of a kind football club, which is why it's not necessary to rewrite history and pretend to be something that we don't even need to be in order to be better than everyone else. If a top class manager comes here with his own ideas (not necessarily Mourinho as I don't believe he'd bring much to the table in that aspect, more like Pep who's more into revolutionizing football) and they bring something fresh and positive, then we should not at all cost defend ourselves by saying it's not United way. It's not United way to have DoF and it's quite evident we need one. There are a lot of things that are not necessarily United way from historical point of view but would actually make us better as a team and better as a club.
This is the most sensible post in the thread.

Winrar

I've seen enugh of Mourinho's football to know how he likes to set up. You point to games that support the idea he plays exciting football, while most Chelsea fans will remember the catenaccio being dragged out for every big game, even at home against a PSV side with 10 men. He famously had 29% possession against us at the Bridge and gloated about his tactics after the game, saying it was easy to stop our players from crossing on their strongest foot. I do not want this style of management at my club.
no. this was your original statement:
Yeah, so let's just bring in Mourinho, who has always been a poop-on-a-stick merchant. That will solve it.
then I pointed to a sample of few of the games where he wasn't a "poop-on-a-stick merchant" to counter your argument that he has always been a "poop on a stick merchant."

mourinho isn't always the most exciting of managers in big games, but he is capable of getting his team to play good football. us under ferguson, especially later years, wasn't always the most exciting to watch but it got us results, but you probably won't say that he was a "poop-on-a-stick" merchant either. (and he obviously wasn't)

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Van Gaal will turn it round just enough to keep his job but not enough to really achieve anything. Which is the very worst outcome possible right now.

All other decent managers will be long fecking gone by the time Woodward is ready to accept he made a mistake hiring Van Gaal.
If LVG turns things around then its great. He will only do that by playing decent football.

Status
Not open for further replies.