LVG Out Thread | BBC: Sacked!

Do you want LVG sacked?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
no. this was your original statement:

then I pointed to a sample of few of the games where he wasn't a "poop-on-a-stick merchant" to counter your argument that he has always been a "poop on a stick merchant."

mourinho isn't always the most exciting of managers in big games, but he is capable of getting his team to play good football. us under ferguson, especially later years, wasn't always the most exciting to watch but it got us results, but you probably won't say that he was a "poop-on-a-stick" merchant either. (and he obviously wasn't)
You do realise I am summarising Mourinho's career, particularly in the premier league, by saying he's always been a poop-on-a-stick merchant? Of course not every single game was literally poop-on-a-stick football.

The part in bold is an understatement. And no, I am not willing to rewrite history and say that Ferguson was something he was not in order to appease those who want to make comparisons that make Mourinho seem more palatable.

spwd

Manchester United hold crisis talks with Wayne Rooney
:lol:

Well that's us screwed for the foreseeable future, won't be winning anything soon if that's true!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If LVG turns things around then its great. He will only do that by playing decent football.
No he'll steady the ship and have us playing like earlier this season where we bore everyone else in the stadium to tears before stealing the points. But we're not gaining anything from that. We won't win anything and it's not setting us up for a better future in any way. Despite what his fans claim he is doing.

Winrar

You do realise I am summarising Mourinho's career, particularly in the premier league, by saying he's always been a poop-on-a-stick merchant? Of course not every single game was literally poop-on-a-stick football.
last time I checked the definition of "always" it meant at all times. without exception.

The part in bold is an understatement.
That I can agree with. but I'm the kind of supporter who would tolerate the "unexciting" football if it means it gets us a result. if you disagree fair enough.

And no, I am not willing to rewrite history and say that Ferguson was something he was not in order to appease those who want to make comparisons that make Mourinho seem more palatable.
again looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
which means not always. otherwise you might want to look up the dictionary definition of "always."
We both know I understand the meaning of the word. My point, as I said before, was to encapsulate his career and summarise the pattern of it. "Always" is not a technically incorrect usage in the context. Being a pedant demonstrates that you're really angling for a fight rather than trying to understand my point of view. That's up to you, but I promise you I spend a great deal more time writing and sweating over the precision of my language than you do.

last time I checked the definition of "always" it meant at all times. without exception.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/always

There's nothing inconsistent with my use of the word and the examples of accepted use. Definitions really just reflect the expectations of a given time. Perception is thankfully fluid enough to not require lengthy erudition in every single sentence; we pick up meaning and context more quickly the more literature we've studied. Imagine if you had to explain your use of each and every single word in the limited context you used it in. It would read something like the awful academic writings of scientists, who apologise for everything (please don't look up the definition; learning the use of hyperbole would be more beneficial) they say so as not to be accused of ignoring their own inability to encompass the entire field of study in one paper.

Last edited:

Winrar

We both know I understand the meaning of the word. My point, as I said before, was to encapsulate his career and summarise the pattern of it. "Always" is not a technically incorrect usage in the context. Being a pedant demonstrates that you're really angling for a fight rather than trying to understand my point of view. That's up to you, but I promise you I spend a great deal more time writing and sweating over the precision of my language than you do.
ok.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
LVG is a proven manager. He has contributed to the development of football and his Ajax was for a period of time time the pinnacle of football. As time went by football changed but the man stayed true to himself and the formula. You obey the system or you will get stuck in between.You either ride along or you will get thanked for your services. Now at 64 years of age the ocassion has stepped up for him to evaluate and assess the formula he has been conditioned to apply on the teams he managed. Not only is this new territory for the Dutch meistro, but its also a frightening/exciting signal that time will catch up with everyone. He will now probably experience certain attributes of his own system. Not only do the players have to obey certain standards, he now has to adjust to the team and apply certain flexibility. With the job on the line he is now facing one of the most difficult challanges in his prosperous career thus far. Never ever would i ever expect him to communicate words like ‘’i think i am/i was a good manager’’. As a dutchman i have followed LVG’s career quite obsessively and the idea of him managing our lovely club United seemed to be a match made in heaven, given the fact that a lot of people expressed their opinions of United desiring an authorative manager who can set standards and hold the players unto them.

Can he turn it around ? Im gonna say yes, purely because of the biased idea of seeing a succesfull dutchman triumphing at this great club. Is it realistic ? I leave that blanco. Whatever happens in the next few weeks, i for once hope that he will get the respect he deserves.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe the club isn't keen on Mourinho and they really want LvG to turn it around get top four. I really do think the club believe in Giggs and I don't think they want to change their plan for management so easily.

If that's the case then it's rather worrying.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
United captain Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick, Chris Smalling and Juan Mata were among the most vocal players involved in the full and frank discussion with the Dutchman.

The latest exchange of views focused on his hardline training methods, the nature of his strict regime and the tactics used by the team on matchdays.
i.e. Rooney and Carrick can't hack it anymore.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf to Van Gaal he's always said he was willing to hear out the players' arguments.

Whether he actually listens to them or not is another matter.

Cmz'

Maybe the club isn't keen on Mourinho and they really want LvG to turn it around get top four. I really do think the club believe in Giggs and I don't think they want to change their plan for management so easily.

Tbf three weeks ago Woodward was briefing the press that Van Gaal was a 'genius' and that we'd look to extend his contract past the current 18 months remaining, so I'd guess you're right there. Van Gaal is Woodward's man so I'm sure he'd much rather see things work out then go elsewhere.

I would guess though that however much he likes Van Gaal, a loss away to Stoke would make LvG's position untenable.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
2. 5-0 vs swansea came just 2 league games after the 3-5 vs spurs
Also, just want to point out here that the result against Swansea was not achieved by Chelsea setting up to dominate the game with attacking football. In fact, Chelsea set up defensively in that game, and they scored 5 because the Swansea defence had a shocker. Mourinho's sides are often capable of scoring goals because of how he exploits his opposition's vulnerabilities, but Mourinho is not the sort of manager who sets his teams up to stamp their own authority on a game. He seeks to nullify his opponent's first, as I said before.

RedFish

LVG is a proven manager. He has contributed to the development of football and his Ajax was for a period of time time the pinnacle of football. As time went by football changed but the man stayed true to himself and the formula. You obey the system or you will get stuck in between.You either ride along or you will get thanked for your services. Now at 64 years of age the ocassion has stepped up for him to evaluate and assess the formula he has been conditioned to apply on the teams he managed. Not only is this new territory for the Dutch meistro, but its also a frightening/exciting signal that time will catch up with everyone. He will now probably experience certain attributes of his own system. Not only do the players have to obey certain standards, he now has to adjust to the team and apply certain flexibility. With the job on the line he is now facing one of the most difficult challanges in his prosperous career thus far. Never ever would i ever expect him to communicate words like ‘’i think i am/i was a good manager’’. As a dutchman i have followed LVG’s career quite obsessively and the idea of him managing our lovely club United seemed to be a match made in heaven, given the fact that a lot of people expressed their opinions of United desiring an authorative manager who can set Tstandards and hold the players unto them.

Can he turn it around ? Im gonna say yes, purely because of the biased idea of seeing a succesfull dutchman triumphing at this great club. Is it realistic ? I leave that blanco. Whatever happens in the next few weeks, i for once hope that he will get the respect he deserves.
I have to say I'm just grateful he agreed to take the job on. We needed leadership and he provided it and continues to do so (albeit with waning influence which in no small measure is due to what I perceive to be a lack of will to follow his lead). I do find it slightly embarrassing, as it feels to me, that whilst we are not treating him badly per se, we are not treating him well either.

Shark

@NotShark

I fear that if the club do stick to the plan you've suspected the club to have, we will almost certainly complete our transformation into the next Liverpool. Destined for years in the abyss, watching City dominate English football, assuming they sign Pep. Those that say we've too much money and prestige to slip out of the top four are fooling themselves, as we've already flirted with that prospect. Hell, even last season we were very fortunate to nick that 4th place.

The way I see it, the board should think about their next move very very carefully.

Devil may care

I was hoping he'd be sacked when I logged back on, only we would bother with sit down chin wags and this mealy mouthed shit while any actual solution looks like it will slip away.

NK86

You don't deliberately lose possession, but the idea is to give the opposition a false sense of being in charge. It was actually one of Sir Alex's preferred methods to sit back and break with speedsters. You obviously missed some great moments with Kanchelskis, Giggs, Sharp, Ronaldo, etc... scoring on breakaways.
It is like he didn't watch our games against Arsenal over the last 7-8 years. That was a classic case of letting Arsenal get possession in non-threatening areas of the pitch and then when they have committed players forward, we broke with speed to score and win. That was like the modua operandi without fail every time under Fergie when we lined up against Arsenal. The 8-2 drubbing aside we always used it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To be fair, crisis talks with wayne rooney are long overdue.

"Wayne, you're shit."

Sereques

We need to go for Mourinho asap but I fear that if we ever had any intention of doing it Van Gaal would be gone by now. Giggs after the Christmas period is the grim reality.
LVG will only be fired if he fails to make champions league.

prateik

DO NOT want Jose. If not sacking LVG means Jose fecks off, then I'm all for it

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
It is difficult to imagine Real Madrid sacking Rafa mid season. Imagine getting sacked after winning 10-2 in previous game! The club in the question is capable of doing it and only club which can do this but even by their standards it will be too much. It can be different story in summer though and Real Madrid will be in for Mou then. If Van Gaal turns it around enough to keep us in top 4 somehow, still we should have agreement in place with Mou for summer already.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For some reason I get the feeling that part of the reason that the board doesn't want to sack Van Gaal until after these 2 games is because "it's not Christmas-ey". As stupid as that sounds. It's probably like they think it's not like a drastic point so they'll just hold off a few days until after the holidays.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
If somehow, somehow...by greatest of miracles, LvG and United turn it around from here to have a successful season (top 3 league finish and winning Europa and/or FA cup) and then win title next season, it will be one of the sweetest things to happen to me in 13-14 years of following United. 2007 title after being written off in pre-season of 2006 summer was sweet and 2008 CL was dream come true, but coming back from such desperate situation AND then building on it next year will be hugely satisfying. It will more likely remain an impossible dream though :(

Sereques

It's a sorry state if the entire twitter and press alike waiting anxiously all day for the release from OT saying LVG has been sacked. Some fans are even wiling to lose against Stoke if it means LVG will be sacked. At that, I just wanted him to stay and prove everyone wrong.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
It's a sorry state if the entire twitter and press alike waiting anxiously all day for the release from OT saying LVG has been sacked. Some fans are even wiling to lose against Stoke if it means LVG will be sacked. At that, I just wanted him to stay and prove everyone wrong.
He won't change it around with that dull brand of football, which doesn't l even get results. His favouritism towards Rooney, a gamble he took while offloading every other first team striker has spectacularly failed and even almost halfway in to the season, he wouldn't accept that he is wrong. His mistreatment of Herrera is one other thing, and the mind boggling substitutions, the complete lack of tactical awareness even after spending a full season in the league.. These are the things that stand in his way, if he need to achieve moderate success here. In short the only one standing between his way is himself.

If he wasn't arrogant and stubborn, he can change it around. But from what we have seen there is no chance. Henry's analysis of the parallels between LvG and Guardiola is pretty much spot on. He has given absolutely no freedom for our flair players to show their worth in the final third.

I'd love for him to turn it around. And if he can change, I'd prefer that to having Giggs, or to an extent, Mourinho. However, his notable achievements with a big clubs, with the exception of Bayern 5 years ago, are all more than a decade and half ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.