LVG Out Thread | BBC: Sacked!

Do you want LVG sacked?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobbs

I love the way he bigged his ego up again "I have won trophies in 4 countries"

Yeah you've just been sacked in 4 countries too you egotistical twat

Good riddance, can't believe the revisionism crap.
Jeez give the guy a moment. He's been hassled by the press for two years.

Of course he's egotistical, as was SAF, as is Mourinho. It's an essential characteristic if you're to make it as manager of a huge club.

Dobbs

Thank God I wasn't imagining that. I remember he ripped VG apart around our miserable run of form. Why is he getting ao hyper about VG now being sacked?
He's not. Listen to it again. His anger is about the press guy claiming he knows for sure. When Paddy asks him how he's so certain the journalist suddenly has to go. Haha.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Jeez give the guy a moment. He's been hassled by the press for two years.

Of course he's egotistical, as was SAF, as is Mourinho. It's an essential characteristic if you're to make it as manager of a huge club.
Give him a moment? He's had a year and a half too long!

No sympathy with him, he will receive a golden handshake akin to a lottery win and go off to enjoy retirement in the sunshine. Why should we feel sorry for him?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He's not. Listen to it again. His anger is about the press guy claiming he knows for sure. When Paddy asks him how he's so certain the journalist suddenly has to go. Haha.
This was because he realised there was no point arguing with someone so entrenched in his own view that journalists know nothing. Because of this arguing with him was just futile. Anyone with a brain can understand why journalists don't reveal their sources, its common sense.

Dobbs

No sympathy with him, he will receive a golden handshake akin to a lottery win and go off to enjoy retirement in the sunshine. Why should we feel sorry for him?
I've not mentioned feeling sorry for him. If though you had a bunch of journalists criticising you, undermining you, fabricating stories about you for two years I reckon once the moment came you could give a bit back you'd do so.

People constantly underestimate how difficult dealing with the modern press is.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I've not mentioned feeling sorry for him. If though you had a bunch of journalists criticising you, undermining you, fabricating stories about you for two years I reckon once the moment came you could give a bit back you'd do so.

It can't be easy, of course people like LvG can put on a front for the media, and put on a face to just do conferences, but at home when he relaxes and hes sheltered it must wear somebody down, Journalists would have no stories to print without the sport so how bullish they can be is not fair.

The only one case I liked the Media was Nigel Pearson last year I felt they did the right thing, but they are sharks and vultures really.

On one side managers get paid a lot of money to deal with it though.

Smores

If he can't face any criticism due to poor performance then he's in the wrong sport.

I suppose you believe our ex players undermined him as well?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

He's an experienced manager it should be like water off a ducks back

Dobbs

If he can't face any criticism due to poor performance then he's in the wrong sport.

I suppose you believe our ex players undermined him as well?
Who says he can't face it? He holds a press conference every week like all the managers do and puts up with it admirably. Remember it's not just criticism, he has to deal with fabrication. Not sure I'd deal with it so well.

You guys must be supermen. Are you telling me after two years of dealing with these press guys you wouldn't gloat just a little bit if you won the cup?

Kag

Who says he can't face it? He holds a press conference every week like all the managers do and puts up with it admirably. Remember it's not just criticism, he has to deal with fabrication. Not sure I'd deal with it so well.

You guys must be supermen. Are you telling me after two years of dealing with these press guys you wouldn't gloat just a little bit if you won the cup?
You're right. Not that many of the feckwits on here will acknowledge that, of course.

Dobbs

He's an experienced manager it should be like water off a ducks back
Yeah like it was with Fergie and Mourinho right? You're holding him to unrealistically high standards.

He hasn't snapped and caved in the head of Neil Custis. He's just pointed out his cup record after two years of press bollocks. A pretty subdued reaction if you ask me.

Berbaclass

Yeah like it was with Fergie and Mourinho right? You're holding him to unrealistically high standards.

He hasn't snapped and caved in the head of Neil Custis. He's just pointed out his cup record after two years of press bollocks. A pretty subdued reaction if you ask me.
Do you believe Van Gaal performed adequately in his role as manager?

The Hilton

I'm utterly baffled by the folks in here celebrating the way this news was broken. I understand wanting LvG out, I've been in the same boat for a while, but enjoying the way it was leaked immediately after the cup win? I simply can't get my head around it. It's almost as if people don't think it's possible to do the right thing in the wrong way.

As far as I'm concerned, LvG did his very best, earned his second season, but failed to meet the minimum target this season and should be replaced. However, he deserved the right to leave on a high, earned by winning the FA cup, and he doesn't deserve the vitriol and hatred that's getting thrown his way to justify the awfully timed leak.

Reactions: Livvie

Berbaclass

I'm utterly baffled by the folks in here celebrating the way this news was broken. I understand wanting LvG out, I've been in the same boat for a while, but enjoying the way it was leaked immediately after the cup win? I simply can't get my head around it. It's almost as if people don't think it's possible to do the right thing in the wrong way.

As far as I'm concerned, LvG did his very best, earned his second season, but failed to meet the minimum target this season and should be replaced. However, he deserved the right to leave on a high, earned by winning the FA cup, and he doesn't deserve the vitriol and hatred that's getting thrown his way to justify the awfully timed leak.
I would argue that he should have been sacked in December so I don't agree.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Exactly. A multi millionaire is going to walk away after failing abysmally at his job with even more millions of pounds in his back pocket.

It's the Joe nobodies Working in IT or sainsbury's that are mortgaged up to their bollocks that I feel sorry for when they are sacked or made redundant.

This place has been ridiculous over the last 24 hours. The guy has failed and is quite rightly being replaced. People need to deal with it!

The Hilton

I would argue that he should have been sacked in December so I don't agree.
I disagree about being sacked in December, as I don't think there was anyone to replace him with, however I did decide around then that he should be gone at the end of the season, so understand the feeling. However, things have changed since then, and he's gone on to win the FA cup with us. There can be no harm, whatsoever, in waiting until Monday and letting him announce his own stepping down.

I don't think anyone is celebrating the way it's broken, more the fact that it appears that his time is finally up.
It's not hard to find folks on the forum celebrating it and defending it. I agree that it's a good thing, but it's been handled in such a way that somehow this news I'd waited half a season for now comes with a feeling of disappointment.

Smores

I wouldn't because I'm not that petty and I'd have the humility to accept I've done a poor job but congratulate the players on giving the fans something to cheer about.

LvG is over proud and arrogant, I think we saw that when he got the charts out...admirably indeed.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Assuming he has been sacked - or asked to resign (same thing) - I'm not exactly impressed with the timing. The club - and the manager - just won the Cup Final. I'm no fan of LVG, but a little lacking in class from the board, imo.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Shhhh don't use the c-word. Apparantly it's wrong to have any.
It's not much difference imo, to the disrespect shown to Pellegrini by the City supporters last week. It was pretty bad mannered (and classless!) for this to come out on the day we won the CF.

Dobbs

I wouldn't because I'm not that petty and I'd have the humility to accept I've done a poor job but congratulate the players on giving the fans something to cheer about.

LvG is over proud and arrogant, I think we saw that when he got the charts out...admirably indeed.
Well then you're a better man than LvG, Mourinho, Fergie and most of the other top managers because they've all reacted to the press before.

Also it's OK for you to call him arrogant but but he's not allowed to say anything to the press.

So he's not fair game when it comes to media criticism?
He's fair game to to some extent. Justifiable and factual criticism doesn't bother the fans or I doubt him.

Does that sound like the UK press to you though? Are they fair, balanced, interested in the truth? Does it represent what you've actually seen with the press and LvG?

He's not a murderer or a thief. Just a football manager whose not done very well. Nobody's got hurt. Him failing doesn't mean it's right for the press to say or do whatever they want.

I've no problem at all with LvG defending himself.

Last edited:

Oneunited26

Bellend. He may be a legend but he is a shit of a pundit and an even shittier commentator.
Paddy clearly does not understand how it all works with the media, they are not allowed to say where their sources came from. But when news is breaking everywhere, and paddy still has his head in the sand that says it all

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
The team was so spineless it couldn't ever muster up a mutiny, great. Honestly that piece reflects worse on the players than the manager. It just sounds like they didn't want to listen to him or take criticism, granted the criticism may not have been warranted and LvG was a bit archaic in his style but the players seem to be unwilling to held accountable. I think it's telling how well the younger players performed vs the older players too.

Dobba

So, like every other 'journalist', Daniel Taylor has been a million miles behind every United story for 2 years and now suddenly has this much knowledge of the club's inner workings.

Yeah, I'll take that pinch of salt please.

hobbers

"he started sending the players individual emails detailing their faults and submitting video clips to highlight his dissatisfaction. Except by that stage a lot of the players were so disillusioned many ignored the emails or redirected them straight to their trash. Van Gaal suspected as much and had a tracker fitted so he could check if the emails were opened and for how long. It became a game of cat and mouse. Some players opened the emails on their mobiles, then left their phones on the side and wandered off for 20 minutes."

Amazing.

If even a quarter of the stuff in that DT article is true, the mind boggles.

Untied

So, like every other 'journalist', Daniel Taylor has been a million miles behind every United story for 2 years and now suddenly has this much knowledge of the club's inner workings.

Yeah, I'll take that pinch of salt please.
Ogden has an identical story with the same anecdotes. They've been given it in the last 24 hours by someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.