LvG's substitutions

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
The ref is an obvious homer and deserves 99% of the blame for the 'defeat' today but what on earth is going on with LvG and his terrible substitutions?

Taking off Herrera against Swansea was a huge mistake and then today taking off Di Maria, the only one who looked like being a menace to the leicester defence, is beyond me.

For all this tactical genius stuff that was said about him, it really is concerning how much he's gotten wrong in his short time a United. It's definitely something to be worried about.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
His subs have been consistently terrible. Special privileges my arse.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
How he can take Di Maria off at 3-3 and the game in the balance is beyond me. Mental decision.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm hoping AdM was taken off only as a precaution, but yea, subs were terrible.

I thought he came here as billy big bollocks - but I'm a tad worried that he's falling into the same "Rooney/RvP" undroppable mantra.

Thought Shaw at LB and 1 of Januzaj/Mata for either Rooney/RvP should have been the changes in the second half.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
How he can take Di Maria off at 3-3 and the game in the balance is beyond me. Mental decision.
Yeah that was really stupid. I also don't like that he took Falcao off and kept Robin and Rooney. Really looks like special privileges right now, one thing I was sure will not happen under LvG. It's just a few games, but now we reach the point where he needs to show his balls.

gasmanc

Banned
The ref is an obvious homer and deserves 99% of the blame for the 'defeat' today but what on earth is going on with LvG and his terrible substitutions?

Taking off Herrera against Swansea was a huge mistake and then today taking off Di Maria, the only one who looked like being a menace to the leicester defence, is beyond me.

For all this tactical genius stuff that was said about him, it really is concerning how much he's gotten wrong in his short time a United. It's definitely something to be worried about.
Herrera it turned out was injured when he was taken off, he didn't play again for weeks, Di Maria was also carrying a knock it seemed.
Leaving on RVP and Rooney was a bit more of an oddity.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yup, another set of awful subs.

Edit: actually, just reminded myself one was forced, so 'set' is a wrong word. Should've done some better reshuffling though, Mata moved to #10 instead of that #8 or whatever in the first triangle.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
With Di Maria I think he just took him off as he was tiring and so he doesn't get injured. Got a cramp in the last 2 games so it's risky to keep him on until he gets back to full fitness. Don't forget he didn't have a pre season either, as he was in the world cup and then got an injury which kept him out for like a month.

Needham

Yeah that was really stupid. I also don't like that he took Falcao off and kept Robin and Rooney. Really looks like special privileges right now, one thing I was sure will not happen under LvG. It's just a few games, but now we reach the point where he needs to show his balls.
Falcao made a brilliant assist but he was only peripherally involved otherwise. Evident that he is lacking full fitness.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Fellaini on for Herrera against Swansea was shit
Januzaj on for Falcao today was equally as bad

Varun

Staff
Aye. That and the decision to play Januzaj upfront. Poor calls. Left us absolutely toothless going forward.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
I don;t know - but everytime I see him out there, he just doesn't feel like a United manager to me :(

Cina

This is the same Di Maria who pulled up with cramp in his first two games, looked a bit knackered by the 60 minute mark and is clearly still adjusting to a new league. He had to take him off.

The logic of here is so baffling sometimes, it's like people are trying to say LvG wanted to take DI Maria off, clearly he didn't and wouldn't have unless he had to.

Cop on.

JonDahl

Bringing off Falcao was fine, but Di Maria was the wrong call.
He stuck Januzaj upfront. Completely mental. Falcao must be tired and we shouldnt risk him so much after his injury, but still, if we have no one else he should stay on. And if he can't last 90 minutes because of his fitness, he shouldn't be starting.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I don't understand this forum. When fergie was here we moaned about his subs, when moyes was here we moaned about his subs and now we're doing the same with van gaal. Either those premier league managers were totally out of their mind or we're doing something wrong.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Falcao made a brilliant assist but he was only peripherally involved otherwise. Evident that he is lacking full fitness.
Yeah maybe you are right and I just want to see RvP or Rooney subbed off to know that he don't care about them more than about other players. The Di Maria sub was still baffling, that was really a bad call.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Shouldn't have started Falcao over Mata to begin with. Why bench your most consistent player who's also your best player at keeping the ball and moving it around.

legball

1 - Di Maria is new to PL and 10 minutes before he was taken off, was clearly showing signs of tiredness.
2 - First start for Falcao, he was never going to play the full game.
3 - We had Januzaj and Mata in there, not rookies are they?

The problem was that the players simply lost in mentally after that penalty.

Devil may care

I thought Falcao looked sharper than RvP but I imagine the plan was always just to play him for 70 minutes as he builds up match fitness. Di Maria is still getting used to the pace of the league but I am not sure Mata was the ideal choice to replace him as it made us weaker in midfield.

m1y2

I have no problem with Januzaj on as a striker but why the hell can RVP finish matches? he is absolutely useless player these days. van Gaal must stop this. no movement from him and every time offside, slowing down our attacking moves..

Hojoon

Di María had a cramp in his first two games and looked fecked 10 minutes before he got substituted. Falcao is still building his fitness. Today's game is hard to stomach, but the subs weren't really the problem.

Tarrou

I'd have brought Rojo off for Shaw, he was all over the shop today. Shaw must surely be nailed on to start at LB against WHU now?

Jonno

Di Maria and Falcao are being bedded into the team fitness wise. Patience. Mata was awful when coming on and Januzaj didn't get a kick.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Looks pretty obvious to me that he's managing Di Maria's fitness for one reason or another.

Rather lose him for 20mins of a match than a couple weeks/months if he picks up an injury.

siw2007

Don't think Di Maria is fit enough to last 90 minutes yet. Falcao definitely isn't.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Di Maria hasn't played 90mins once yet this season, so pretty clearly fitness related subs for both him and Falcao. I have no issues with his substitutions today.

revel911

It isn't about player quality.

It was obvious that Falcao and Di Maria were knackered and the subs were perfectly fine. The players they were replaced with were completly capable of winning the match ...... they were at fault for this, not LvG.

If anything should be question, it is his decision to play Rojo over Shaw.

OneUnited24

Di Maria looks tired, it made sense to push Januzaj out wide and have Mata in the middle. Unfortunately Januzaj just hasnt done it this season

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It isn't about player quality.

It was obvious that Falcao and Di Maria were knackered and the subs were perfectly fine. The players they were replaced with were completly capable of winning the match ...... they were at fault for this, not LvG.

If anything should be question, it is his decision to play Rojo over Shaw.
Agree with it all aside from the last sentence.

Rojo played well against QPR, was always gunna play today.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rojo should have been removed at half time. He was diabolical.

Probably the worst I've ever seen Van Persie play as well.

Di Maria for Mata as well. I mean, why? If Di Maria had to come off, why Mata? It seemed like it was just an excuse to get him on the pitch because he's a big name, because there was definitely no tactical sense at all behind it. It cost us the game

Kakeru

I don't care anymore about precaution and all of that stuff. We only have the Premier League to focus on now, so better throw the kitchen sink in every time and STOP SUBBING OUR BEST PLAYERS.