LvG's substitutions

REJE

The Diamond formation screws our subs, we don't have a single replacement for each position other than the number 10 role.

JackXX

Di Maria was probably knackered and Falcao's first game back so I was not really surprised. It would have been more of a mistake if we lost and one of them picked up an injury...

The problem we have right now is we need another proper defensive CM. If Carrick was back he would have been the player to bring on just to steady the ship. Di Maria's contributions each game are too much to be able to expect 90 mins of every week. He's not only great at going forward but he tracks back and takes of great positions defensively to work that is needed in a midfield three. The problem is when we brought on Mata and Januzaj the balance shifted too much on the attacking and lightweight side.

Walters_19_MuFc

I was a bit baffled when Di Maria was taken off, but LVG obviously had his reasons. With the subs we did bring on however, I felt Januzaj should have went where Di Maria was playing, and Mata should have gone into the number 10 role, with Rooney partnering Van Persie up top.

JoaquinJoaquin

What I don't like and is most concerning for me is his perseverance with Rooney and RVP. I don't like the fact Rooney is now seemingly exempt from ever being rested or substituted off, I think the one thing Rooney needed more than anything was to be spurred on by the fact he may not be guaranteed a place every and stop him being the inconsistent player he is, Yet now he is more untouchable then ever, something that I completely disagree with.
RVP I really worry about, He scored today but his overall play is very poor, he seems a yard of the pace and his touch is the worst it has been since his first season at Arsenal. For me Shaw should of been on the minute Evans went down, Rooney for Mata and left it at that, the changes LVG made taking Di Maria off killed all momentum we had going forward

bishblaize

The ref is an obvious homer and deserves 99% of the blame for the 'defeat' today but what on earth is going on with LvG and his terrible substitutions?

Taking off Herrera against Swansea was a huge mistake and then today taking off Di Maria, the only one who looked like being a menace to the leicester defence, is beyond me.

For all this tactical genius stuff that was said about him, it really is concerning how much he's gotten wrong in his short time a United. It's definitely something to be worried about.
Herrera went off with an injury vs Swansea if I recall correctly . He missed the next couple of games.

Someone

Something
Not convinced by the subs today, mata and rvp were poor. It also makes sense now why he takes off di maria because around the end he looked really tired.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thought Valencia should've stayed on(although he looked temperamental and could've been a candidate for a red card) and Mata should've been sent off. RVP and Mata have looked average this season. Hopefully Januzaj gets a chance sometime soon.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Thought Valencia should've stayed on(although he looked temperamental and could've been a candidate for a red card) and Mata should've been sent off. RVP and Mata have looked average this season. Hopefully Januzaj gets a chance sometime soon.
Wait, what was that about? Missed it...

KM

Wait, what was that about? Missed it...
Sorry, I meant Mata should've been the one subbed out rather than Valencia.

Words I never thought I'd post.

Devil may care

He had no choice with the Blackett/Shaw substitution and it's clear he's playing Falcao into full fitness so I had no issue with that, but bringing Fellaini on for Valecnia made no sense to me, Valencia had actually gotten more offensive in the second half and provided us with a good solid base down the right with Rafael, it was like he wanted to give Fellaini minutes but this wasn't the time to do it with such a tenuous lead.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, RvP's immunity to being subbed is getting annoying. Falcao looked hungrier and will do far better as the lone striker when we start to drop deep. Mata was hideous also, might as well have put Fellaini or Adnan as the #10.

Raw

Didn't like the Fellaini sub one bit. The whole shape of the team just fell apart and we couldn't string a good few passes together. Shaw/Blackett was okay, nothing could have been done about that but Falcao should have stayed. Getting really sick of RVP staying on now.

vidal7

Once the injuries clear up, the quality of the subs will improve. He will be able to bring on better players as the best players will start. Carrick/jones/smalling/herrera are better subs than what we bring on now. I think the subs will have better impact once the personnel will be better.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Wilson coming on for Falcao was a bit of a strange one, straight after Blackett came on for for Shaw too.

Trying to see out a game in a Premier League match and we had 3 academy players on the pitch.

Can understand the Felliani change, even if he did shite.

vidal7

Didn't like the Fellaini sub one bit. The whole shape of the team just fell apart and we couldn't string a good few passes together. Shaw/Blackett was okay, nothing could have been done about that but Falcao should have stayed. Getting really sick of RVP staying on now.
You want falcao to be injured? Di maria was eased in the same way, Its about keeping them fit, keeping them in the best shape for the season. Burning/stressing muscles too much too early can cause problems long term. I think its good if we keep them fresh and fit.

KM

Wilson coming on for Falcao was a bit of a strange one, straight after Blackett came on for for Shaw too.

Trying to see out a game in a Premier League match and we had 3 academy players on the pitch.

Can understand the Felliani change, even if he did shite.
He had no option on the Shaw and Blackett sub.
Also the Wilson switch was good since we're managing Falcao's knee and Wilson is pacier than Falcao.

OneUnited24

Bringing on Fellaini was madness.
Not really, with the little football we had this season we will need to use what we have to keep players match fit - given our track record with injuries we may need to call onto these squad players.

I didnt agree with the Valencia sub but thought taking Falcao off was probably right, i think we're trying to ease him back in which is probably the smart thing to do - plus it meant giving Wilson a game which i am all for!

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Falcao's knee and Wilson is pacier than Falcao.
He is? Falcao is renowned for his pace and there's nothing wrong with Falcao's knee if there was we wouldn't be paying £44m for him.

I just felt bringing another academy player out in a Premier League match in the last 20 mins when you already had 2 on the pitch and only 1 goal up was a bit silly.

The other 2 subs i had not problem with, Shaw he was forced into that change and brining an extra body in midfield (Felliani) no problem with that what so ever, however the Wilson one was very strange under the circumstances.

Kazi

Bringing Fellaini on wasn't strange. Bringing him on for Valencia was strange. Should have come on for Mata. Wilson for Van Persie. Gone to a normal 4-4-2 with a threat on the counter with Wilson and Falcao up top and Di Maria down the left. We need players coming on that can see the game out for the last 20 minutes and players that can provide a counter-attack.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Was Januzaj on the bench? As much as I'm happy for Wilson, I was hoping Adnan would get those minutes at the end right.

FromTheBench

My views on today. Sorry for quoting from elsewhere once again -

Should have brought on Januzaj for Falcao first as he is more tactically flexible for me. Still that was fine if you wanted to keep Wilson central on the counter but he then didn't take off RVP but shifted Wilson out wide where Januzaj is much more natural. Wilson made 2 key mistakes tracking back which could have been costly and his pace went out of the game.

And Fellaini should have come on for one of RVP or Mata. Probably RVP so we could hoof it to him and let Wilson play off it.

Instead we ended up with RVP who was a passenger by that time, a struggling Fellaini and Wilson struggling out wide.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
One thing is for sure, his subs in pretty much all the games have hindered us seeing out games. Fellaini today, especially on the back of no playing time seemed stupid and it proved right.

But to be as fair as possible, the bench is that weak in terms of options that you don't even want to see subs nowadays. Not sure how Januzaj isn't getting game time though.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He is? Falcao is renowned for his pace and there's nothing wrong with Falcao's knee if there was we wouldn't be paying £44m for him.

I just felt bringing another academy player out in a Premier League match in the last 20 mins when you already had 2 on the pitch and only 1 goal up was a bit silly.

The other 2 subs i had not problem with, Shaw he was forced into that change and brining an extra body in midfield (Felliani) no problem with that what so ever, however the Wilson one was very strange under the circumstances.
Falcao renouned for his pace? I don't think so. Not particularly quick at all. Not slow either though, just average.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would have removed RVP and Mata and added a midfielder. 4-5-1 was the way to go at the end of the game with Valencia and Januzaj on the flanks, Fletcher, Blind and Di Maria + Falcao up front

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Bringing on Fellaini was an odd decision to say the least.

I'd have also taken RvP off rather than Falcao.

SirAF

Ageist
About Falcao, I don't see how anyone can complain about that sub. It is quite clear that he is easing Falcao back to full fitness, in the same way as Di Maria - as someone brightly pointed out.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Does Giggs have anything to do with choosing the subs?? I just wonder how LVG could make such a decision as putting Fellani on? Or is it a question of he needs playing so we can off load him in January? Reckon he should only come on when we're 6 or 7 up and only for the last 5 minutes - that way he'll do the least amount of damage. Just kept losing possession from what I could see, at such a crucial point in the game as well.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
Does Giggs have anything to do with choosing the subs?? I just wonder how LVG could make such a decision as putting Fellani on? Or is it a question of he needs playing so we can off load him in January? Reckon he should only come on when we're 6 or 7 up and only for the last 5 minutes - that way he'll do the least amount of damage. Just kept losing possession from what I could see, at such a crucial point in the game as well.
:houllier::houllier:

Momochiru

LVG gets too much undeserved criticism for his substitutes. All three of them were forced. Shaw was injured and Blackett was the only choice. It looked like Valencia got a knock and Fellaini was logical for his physicality, we needed him to help defend on deadball situations where Everton was the most dangerous. Falcao is not fully fit and needs to be managed carefully. He will not be able to play a full 90 for a while. Wilson was supposed to help keep the ball up the field.

LVG is doing a great job and people criticizing every single sub should calm down. He is moving us in a positive direction and the choices he is making make sense when you look at the big picture, for example keeping Falcao on for the full game might've been better in the short term (this particular game), but it would've hurt us more if that meant him being out for a month after.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why only the one sub last night? In the end probably the right decision but I was surprised he didn't shuffle it around a bit towards the end. Herrera for Januzaj/Blind or Blackett for Rojo just to freshen things up.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Why only the one sub last night? In the end probably the right decision but I was surprised he didn't shuffle it around a bit towards the end. Herrera for Januzaj/Blind or Blackett for Rojo just to freshen things up.
Yeah, though I've had this chat with @Stringer. There really wasn't much on the bench who could change things up. Herrera maybe, but he's probably not anywhere near 100% (as seen against WBA).

So we would have been making a sub for the sake of it. Blackett maybe. Would have loved to see Perreira, but the situation was probably a bit too big.