LvG's substitutions

iAm20Legend

And switching Young to the right, completely killed his game thereon, was hardly a threat bar the one good ball in towards the end :(

stepic

Another match totally changed by his shockingly baffling and poor substitutions. He's absolutely abject at making the right change at the right time. RVP off but the knackered Falcao stays on? Move Young to the right when he's tearing them apart on the left, so you can bring on an eighteen year-old who has done absolutely nothing worthwhile in his previous three appearances? Leave Mata on for the whole game when he was worse than invisible?
What had RVP done all game? Falcao was playing better and scored. Deserved to stay on.

He replaced a striker with a defender, hence Young switching sides. Because we had aman advantage and chased the win. Just because the subs didn't pay off doesn't mean they weren't reasoned.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Move Young to the right when he's tearing them apart on the left, so you can bring on an eighteen year-old who has done absolutely nothing worthwhile in his previous three appearances?
That was actually to accommodate Di Maria, and to put him on the left. Still baffling. I'd rather he changed Wilson for Young, rather than put him on the right, where Valencia would've been a better choice I believe.

Kazi

Changing the system too many times during the match too. Instead of Wilson coming on, Januzaj for Mata as a straight swap keeping the same system would have been a more effective sub.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Wilson was pretty shit in the time he was on. rvp shouldn't have been subbed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thought the subs were more or less spot on. Getting Fletch off, giving Di Maria a run out so he can start the next match, and getting Wilson on for some fresh legs.

Firstouch20

What had RVP done all game? Falcao was playing better and scored. Deserved to stay on.

He replaced a striker with a defender, hence Young switching sides. Because we had aman advantage and chased the win. Just because the subs didn't pay off doesn't mean they weren't reasoned.
He was our most threatening attacker and looked the most likely to find a solution. He was getting closer and closer to a goal as the game progressed,

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Shit subs this week I though. Young should have stayed on the left, Valencia was doing well on the right. Di maria should have come on for mata but that's it I think.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

In what way changing a striker for a defender is a reasoned decision when we need to score goals ?

Count Orduck

Thought the subs were more or less spot on. Getting Fletch off, giving Di Maria a run out so he can start the next match, and getting Wilson on for some fresh legs.
Is this sarcasm? Why would you make a sub to "give a player a run out" when you're chasing a win against ten men and it costs you three points? You give players run outs when you're two goals to the good.

acnumber9

I thought the Van Persie sub completely ruined our rythum when we were having our best spell in the game. It was there to be won at that stage.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Is this sarcasm? Why would you make a sub to "give a player a run out" when you're chasing a win against ten men and it costs you three points? You give players run outs when you're two goals to the good.
In case you've been trapped on another planet, because that's his approach to get players match fit.

Sam

I thought the Van Persie sub completely ruined our rythum when we were having our best spell in the game. It was there to be won at that stage.
Yep. All the pressure after that just seemed to go.

RVP looked baffled too.

Someone

Something
In tight games experience and quality goes a long way, rvp has the ability to kill a game at any minute, mata looked more tired that anyone else and wilson still yet to have any impact. The subs today didn't influence the game at all.

MTR

hates Herrera
Don't look at my tag. Not native English speaker
That was actually to accommodate Di Maria, and to put him on the left. Still baffling. I'd rather he changed Wilson for Young, rather than put him on the right, where Valencia would've been a better choice I believe.
While Di Maria was shit in the centre, he completely vanished when moved to the left,

And why sub off Young when he was the best player on the pitch?

khoazany

The subs were not that bad tactically.Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean it's pointless.

Godfather

No idea why he put Wilson in. Taking out RvP was also a mistake imo. Good he brought off Fletcher though. No idea why he started him in the first place.

stepic

In what way changing a striker for a defender is a reasoned decision when we need to score goals ?
I meant to say he replaced a defender (Valencia) with a striker (Wilson), hence Young switching.

Sylar

Whilst the subs didnt help (well the third one I think changed the style of our game) the players are shocking with some of their decisions. They got into good positions and wasted chances to move the ball quickly.

Also our defenders need to stop just hoofing the ball up and instead pass it to our midfielders.

kouroux

I meant to say he replaced a defender (Valencia) with a striker (Wilson), hence Young switching.
In itself, it's not a bad decision like you said but the fact that our most dangerous player (Young) had to switch sides changed everything. We created feck all after it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
His poor substations are derivatives of his massive faith in the tactics. Having said that I don't understand his thoughts behind the latter two subs.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Why was RvP subbed? Why did Valencia come off? The only one that made sense was Fletcher and he shouldn't have started anyway. I'm a big fan of van Gaal but I think he got it wrong today.

stepic

In itself, it's not a bad decision like you said but the fact that our most dangerous player (Young) had to switch sides changed everything. We created feck all after it.
Is that not the players fault though? Young had plenty of space at times on the right and did feck all with it. Some horrible crossing similar to the Young of old.

Getsme

Truly baffling, no issues with taking off RVP but why in Gods good name did he move Young to the right?

DevilRed

Taking off RVP instead of Mata was silly.

Throwing on Wilson in place of Valencia was a mistake too.

It completely threw us out of whack again, with the players not knowing the shape/formation.

kouroux

Is that not the players fault though? Young had plenty of space at times on the right and did feck all with it. Some horrible crossing similar to the Young of old.
Yes it was his fault when it came to the poor crossing, just saying that when a player is doing so well in a position and specially against a precise opponent, why would the coach switch him to the opposite side ? Young had the beatings of Lowton and besides him we barely anybody creating anything.

Brophs

The One and Only
Both the result and the style of play were very Moyes esque.

sajeev

Although Wilson is quite talented, the only reason he seems to be coming on is to justify Van Gaal's decisions earlier in the summer

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I suppose it worked for the goal but beyond that it looked pretty brainless today.
I think it was a symptom of having no midfielders on the pitch (I don't count Fletcher).

Count Orduck

I suppose it worked for the goal but beyond that it looked pretty brainless today.
Thing is it wasn't even a "normal" cross for the goal, it was Young beating his man and whipping a ball across the box. 99% of our crosses were just aimless punts into Guzan's arms floated in from well outside the area!

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Couldn't say with certainty-but it liked like Villa stacked the top of the box-so went wide. The quality of the crosses (I'm looking at you, Young) with the man advantage was poor.

khoazany

Although Wilson is quite talented, the only reason he seems to be coming on is to justify Van Gaal's decisions earlier in the summer
Or because it's perfectly normal to throw a striker in when you're chasing a goal in last 10 min when Villa is basically packing their bus?People love easy targets don't they?

Sam

Can't help but think his changes in the second half killed our momentum.

Glanville95

If any of our attacking players had to be subbed it was Mata. I was quite astonished to see van Persie go off so early in the game given his form and match-winning ability, but my main gripe was di Maria going to left-wingback when he was finding plenty of space around the edge of the box, albeit squandering most chances, while Young was giving Lowton a torrid time all afternoon.

I think van Gaal has to hold some responsibility for this draw.

sajeev

Or because it's perfectly normal to throw a striker in when you're chasing a goal in last 10 min?People loves easy targets don't they?
it isn't always right to throw a striker on if it is not going to help in the flow. the substitution didn't make sense in terms of the match as well as wilson's last few outings with the first team