LvG's substitutions

Devil may care

Di Maria should have came on for Mata not RvP and Wilson should have came on for Blackett or Young not Valencia, of course in fairness LvG couldn't know how shook up Young would be after the tackle, he looked wobbly on the ball in the last 25 minutes.

khoazany

it isn't always right to throw a striker on if it is not going to help in the flow. the substitution didn't make sense in terms of the match as well as wilson's last few outings with the first team
Valencia offered basically nothing offensively in this match and we need to push up our formation.Did you see Young's crossing show?We have a man advantage and basically tried to use that by putting the ball into the box that's the reason why a striker came on.It didn't come off but doesn't mean it makes no sense.

acnumber9

The subs were not that bad tactically.Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean it's pointless.
It's a bit pointless changing things that early when we were playing really well. Subs in that situation should be used to lift things. It wasn't necessary at the time.

marlowe78

If my memory serves right, van Persie came off not too long after his bicycle kick just missed over the bar. He looked on the verge of scoring or at least getting another couple of chances. So why in hell take him off when 3 points are right there to be won? To make matters worse, Wilson did absolutely nothing yet again.

Di Maria was clearly not fit but he was giving Villa some issues on the right. So what does LVG do? He has Young switch wings with him. :rolleyes: Poor.

Valencia also coming off hurt us in getting the ball deep.

Last edited:

mufcwarm92

The last sub and the tactical change that followed absolutely killed the game. Big opportunity missed.

khoazany

It's a bit pointless changing things that early when we were playing really well. Subs in that situation should be used to lift things. It wasn't necessary at the time.
Need to take into account that we need to rest RVP for the tight schedule ahead.I think LVG only wanted to use RVP 60 min in this game whatever the case.

acnumber9

Need to take into account that we need to rest RVP for the tight schedule ahead.I think LVG only wanted to use RVP 60 min in this game whatever the case.
You win the game and then rest a player. I don't think that was the case at all. Weird sub.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its always easy to second guess these things after the fact. Had we won and no subs were involved in the winning goal, no one would care who was or wasn't subbed on.

legball

The subs were fine, except that I didn't get the point of keeping Mata on the pitch. It was that needless tactical change that killed everything.

Kakeru

Mata should have been taken off for ADM or Januzaj, that's the key substitution.

If we wanted to replace Valencia for whatever reason, that's Rafael should come in. Otherwise, introducing Wilson was pointless with the players who were on the pitch.

Bojan11

Mata should have been taken off for ADM or Januzaj, that's the key substitution.

If we wanted to replace Valencia for whatever reason, that's Rafael should come in. Otherwise, introducing Wilson was pointless with the players who were on the pitch.
This.

I don't see point making one sub and in the process 3 players move position.

stepic

I don't understand why everyone seems surprised at the concept of bringing a striker on for a defender when we have a man advantage and chasing the win. It's not rocket science. Yes it meant Young switched sides but he should be capable of a decent cross from the right.

m1y2

I would start with Rafa for Fletcher, Valencia to fight to midfield, Carrick moving also into midfield. Mata off, he is actually very disappointing this season, hard to see him on the pitch eve he isvery productive doesn't give us and extra edge..di María on.. Van Persie was poor today, failed to score in a beautiful chance, one of the very few we created.. but maybe should stayed on as he is good in the box and around it. Wilson is better for counters atm.. it wasn't his game either.. Januzaj could do the difference as well as he iw very creative either from the side or centrally but he would do a lot of harm from the right IMO, Young should stay on the left as he was unable to put any decent cross from the right... What a poor game. Poor tactics by van Gaal. Fletch should retire or move on to some lower league club, he can't play at this tempo at top club like us, unfortunately. It wasn't only his fault but he give our game nothing and at best is passenger.. lets play with back4 next time Loui ffs and start Herrera even on wheelchair in the middle of the park. Well maybe we missed Fellaini?

LonelyFire

Taking RVP off was a strange one but the sub of Valencia and the switching of young to the right is what stopped our flow. We were on top and that seemed to nullify our fluidity

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Not LvG's best day at the office. The AdM and Wilson subs smacked of forcing an issue. AdM would have been OK coming on after a second goal-as moving Young from right to left weakened two positions.

The RvP sub was baffling-but happy with the completely necessary sub for Fletcher.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Changed too much during the game today, not his best day.

SammyUnited_83

Sometimes he trys to be too clever.

RvP looked dangerous and has played much worse and stayed on... needed to take Fletch off, but let's be honest anyone one here could have guessed that as soon as the team was announced.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He's getting used to the nature of the EPL. Its a learning curve for him. His record suggests he'll get more right than than wrong going forward.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
the first sub helped us get going and get the equaliser in fairness.
Fletcher was off the pace, so Carrick forward, defender on made sense.

Empire

I don't understand why everyone seems surprised at the concept of bringing a striker on for a defender when we have a man advantage and chasing the win. It's not rocket science. Yes it meant Young switched sides but he should be capable of a decent cross from the right.
This.

Young had a lot of time and space, had he put in the same level of crosses he was doing from the left then our chances of scoring would have been greatly increased.

Empire

I disagree with RVP sub because he has that late goal in him and he has quite a few ways he can get it, even from outside the box he is dangerous, if LvG had decided from the start to play him for only 60 minutes due to our busy schedule then fine since we should have won without him.

Suedesi

The muppets in this thread are out in force.

If left RVP on, there would have been cries of "he's done nothing, he's only playing because he' Dutch"
If he took out Mata, there would be more collective head shakes
If he didn't bring Di Maria on people would be baying for blood also.

At the end of the day, we had a day off. It can happen after 6 wins in a row. Get over it caftards

marlowe78

The muppets in this thread are out in force.

If left RVP on, there would have been cries of "he's done nothing, he's only playing because he' Dutch"
If he took out Mata, there would be more collective head shakes
If he didn't bring Di Maria on people would be baying for blood also.

At the end of the day, we had a day off. It can happen after 6 wins in a row. Get over it caftards
I'm sorry but I strongly disagree.

Fletcher coming off was the obvious move. That he got right.

There was nothing Wilson had done in his last few games to justify him coming on and filling in for RVP. I can understand if RVP had some kind of a knock (did he?) but he narrowly missed a goal just before his coming off and has been in form, he could very well have gotten one.

Mata, who did nothing the entire game, was the logical player to come off with Di Maria replacing him centrally. Instead, Di Maria was kept out wide and displaced Young from the wing where he was already putting in a good shift.

We were due for a poor game, that goes without saying, but it doesn't excuse the fact that LVG got the subs wrong and has been off the mark quite often. I'm a big supporter of LVG but this is something he needs to straighten out and it's only something he can do.

Suedesi

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree.

Fletcher coming off was the obvious move. That he got right.

There was nothing Wilson had done in his last few games to justify him coming on and filling in for RVP. I can understand if RVP had some kind of a knock (did he?) but he narrowly missed a goal just before his coming off and has been in form, he could very well have gotten one.

Mata, who did nothing the entire game, was the logical player to come off with Di Maria replacing him centrally. Instead, Di Maria was kept out wide and displaced Young from the wing where he was already putting in a good shift.

We were due for a poor game, that goes without saying, but it doesn't excuse the fact that LVG got the subs wrong and has been off the mark quite often. I'm a big supporter of LVG but this is something he needs to straighten out and it's only something he can do.
I'm not sure the RVP was such a bad sub in hindsight. He didn't do much, and had one chance all game. It flew wide.
Mata also had an off day and had one decent shot which Guzan did well to save. I could see the reasoning in playing him - as Villa became congested in defense, he could unlock their defense with a key pass / assist. It didn't work but I could see the logic in it.
Di Maria was very poor and taking pot shots all game - yet you could argue he needs some game time to improve his form.
Hindsight is 20/20 - all in, we could have won but we didn't. On we go.

Count Orduck

More baffling substitutions changing the flow of the game. We're chasing a win, so we bring on three defenders? Rafael he didn't have much choice about, but the other two...

And yet Falcao lasts the whole game despite being absolutely knackered. Again.

We seem to be moving in the right direction performance-wise, but his substitutions are consistently abysmal. It's staggering.

Kag

More baffling substitutions changing the flow of the game. We're chasing a win, so we bring on three defenders? Rafael he didn't have much choice about, but the other two...

We seem to be moving in the right direction performance-wise, but his substitutions are consistently abysmal. It's staggering.
It depends whether or not these changes were forced. Our bench was terrible. Only Wilson was a viable substitution had we not used the defenders, but like I say, if they were forced then there isn't a great deal we can do about them.

The midfield needed legs, but it didn't need Fletcher. Our midfielders can't come back soon enough.

DevilRed

Was Valencia injured that Rafael was brought on?
Was wondering that myself. Really poor tactical decision otherwise because we looked toothless in attack 2nd half. No winger on the right flank meant we had nothing going on there.

The upside is that Rafael (and Shaw) get a run out and hopefully we go away from the back 3 forever.

Godfather

Can't really fault him for the substitutions made today. Val provided nothing going forward in the first half, Evans couldn't hoof the freaking football to save his life and Paddy looked shaky.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Valencia was injured; Evans and McNair were accidents waiting to happen. If Valancia wasn't hurt we may have seen Wilson-but couldn't make a change. LvG didn't want to lose the game-no complaints from me.

Leg-End

When we aren't winning in a game it just doesn't feel right not to make an attacking sub.

thelemon

And Carrick could have done with coming off for someone, he was knackered and nearly cost us a goal.

Varun

Staff

Evans was starting to look very shaky, I was glad Smalling came on. Unless Smalling is really uncomfortable as the LCB, didnt understand the need to sub off Mcnair. Falcao/RVP should have been off for Wilson.

Was Valencia injured that Rafael was brought on?
Yes.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Valencia was injured; Evans and McNair were accident were accidents waiting to happen. If Valancia wasn't hurt we may have seen Wilson-but couldn't make a change. LvG didn't want to lose the game-no complaints from me.
Yea well if that's the case then there's nothing to complain about I think. McNair and Evans both looked shite but then again you have to wonder why we simply didn't start with Shaw and Smalling then. inb4 not being match fit and blah blah blah, see them both injured within next two weeks.

It's a shame that ADM for example is out too, could use him as an impact sub today as our strikers were horribly inept in front of goal.

Bojan11

Valencia was injured.

We literally had nobody on to change the game with Hererra, Fellaini, Blind and Di Maria missing.

I would honestly think about bringing Nani back. Need more pace in the team.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Will admit i lamented us not making a more attacking sub, but apart from Wilson for Falcao i'm not really sure what we could have done.