LvG's substitutions

hbgreg

It's scenarios like this, when we're 2-1 up and we need to relieve pressure, where I'd like to see us use Fellaini more often... not when we're 2-1 down and chasing a goal!
He wouldn't of suited this game firstly with the ref, and secondly he gives up possession far too easily.

The subs were spot on and we won the game with them.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He wouldn't of suited this game firstly with the ref, and secondly he gives up possession far too easily.

The subs were spot on and we won the game with them.
There was a good 15 minute (at least) period where we couldn't keep the ball and get it out of our half!

I'm not saying specifically for this game - just in future... I think situations like this is where Fellaini is at his most useful. We couldn't get out and DDG kept playing it long to Martial who couldn't hold it up, Fellaini would have helped in that regard.

stepic

Schweinsteiger has barely played 90 minutes for us thus far. Why such a shock that he went off?

Valencia was horrible. Completely he right move.

Hardly the calamity that people are suggesting. Of course they are going to dominate the last period as thry were going for it.

Unlikely lad

Maybe because Draxler often drifted on left and most of their attacks went through left side so you want the better defender on that side, especially since both Darmian and Young can play in both positions.
True, made even weirder by the fact that Schurlle played on the right when he came on.

hbgreg

There was a good 15 minute (at least) period where we couldn't keep the ball and get it out of our half!

I'm not saying specifically for this game - just in future... I think situations like this is where Fellaini is at his most useful. We couldn't get out and DDG kept playing it long to Martial who couldn't hold it up, Fellaini would have helped in that regard.
Fellaini is great as an outlet when they're pressing us.The problem was that they weren't pressing, we were simply giving it away. Fellaini is good to lump the ball too if youre looking for space, not to hold the ball.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He didn't throw in Pereira 2-0 up vs Sunderland looking comfortable but did today for 30 minutes.

Anyway, His subs today were OK. Refusing to Sub rooney is irritating though.
I think putting Pereira in this type of match will be more helpful in his development rather than putting him against a team like Sunderland where he'll find things very easy. No problem with him putting Pereira in the starting lineup and the lad did well(atleast defensively).

prath92

With that ref, schweini would have been sent off for running on the pitch maybe had he not been subbed. 20 mins of pressure here is a gamble to get him available for the next CL game

RedDevil@84

Second guessing LvG's subs is a futile effort. He sees a different game than the majority.

RedDevil@84

I think taking off Schweini was needed. The referee was acting like an idiot and trying his best to support the underdog team.

Hal9000

I'm struggling to understand the substitutions tonight I'll be honest.

Bringing Young on is fine but he's usually on the left so why bring him on at right back? When our usual right back is on the left.

The Pereira one was odd too because as glad as I am to see youngsters play, is it so wise in such a huge game?

But the strangest sub of all was the Jones for Schweinsteiger one. What the F was that all about? OK Schweinsteiger wasn't having a blinder but he's a calming experienced influence. Plus bringing on Jones is never a good idea ever. And it moved Blind out of the position he's making his own and in to midfield where he's never truly convinced me.

Tonight in the end he got away with it but I do think LVGs subs leave a lot to be desired.
Young is not a natural full back, and Darmien ended up against Draxler and Schurle, think Young would of been destroyed if he was defending against those two.

Schwein was blowing out his ass, and i don't think saw anything of him the 10 mins before the sub. Plus we were trying to see out the game so putting another center back in and putting DM in midfielder was meant to help shore us up. Didn't work that well as they kept coming at us, but probably better than Bastien fading even further.

Pereira was confusing, but he's played well when he's come on, albeit against lesser teams. Depay was not doing anything on that left, and Young was already at right back.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
The subs didn't change the game, the goal did. The players reacted like the work was done, let's have a rest now and become indecisive and forget about keeping possession.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Jones was used for the extra height. But he also made some decent defensive ckearekces.Valencia injured, but wolfsburgs biggest threat was down darmains side, can't put young there. You could tell young can't defend he just hoofed it like a school boy.

Depay was being wasteful. We just didn't have better options on the bench.

Akshay

Staff
I liked the subs. Schweiny was done after doing his utmost for 70 mins. Valencia was awful, I was glad LVG was so proactive in subbing him. Memphis wasn't great and he's played a lot of minutes, needed a rest. We had to balance this game versus staying somewhat fresh for Sunday. LVG did it in a way that still let us get a CL result (unlike Wenger).

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
1) His other option was Jones - Smalling centre, moving Blind to the left and Darmian to the right. So basically disrupting the entire defence! Since Valencia was awful and their full back was pushing very high up it was logical to use Young as a straight swap.

2) He has belief in Pereira and using him in the champions league shows that, gives the player confidence.

3) Schweinsteiger is needed on the weekend especially with Carrick injured today so taking him off after 70 minutes made sense, also we need to build up Jones' fitness so it was logical using Blind at CDM instead of Bastian.
Spot on. LVG got his subs correct

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
1) His other option was Jones - Smalling centre, moving Blind to the left and Darmian to the right. So basically disrupting the entire defence! Since Valencia was awful and their full back was pushing very high up it was logical to use Young as a straight swap.

2) He has belief in Pereira and using him in the champions league shows that, gives the player confidence.

3) Schweinsteiger is needed on the weekend especially with Carrick injured today so taking him off after 70 minutes made sense, also we need to build up Jones' fitness so it was logical using Blind at CDM instead of Bastian.
Spot on. LVG got his subs correct

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
See I know Schweinsteiger was starting to tire I just thought bringing on Jones was not going to sure things up. We got the result in the end but we lost complete control when Schweinsteiger was taken off.

Plus if Carrick was being rested for the weekend and not actually injured then Schweinsteiger could have started on the bench against Arsenal?

I know Memphis was hit and miss last night but at the time he came off he was having a real influence on the game. We've got to realise that the way Memphis plays he will give the ball away a lot. I remember Ronaldo used to do the same. Thing is they give the ball away lots and then conjure up a moment of magic.

Pereira came on and really wasn't able to have an influence because we lost control of the game.

Irrational.

Again with the baffling subs. Unless Blind or Darmian were injured I saw no reason to take them off. Pereira should have come on for Mata instead of the confidence-shot Memohis, who added zilch.

NK86

Again with the baffling subs. Unless Blind or Darmian were injured I saw no reason to take them off. Pereira should have come on for Mata instead of the confidence-shot Memohis, who added zilch.
His subs are exactly like your username :p

iKeano

There must be a name for this fetish somewhere on the dark-net;

'One who seeks a sick, gratuitous pleasure out of habitually and unnecessarily replacing full-backs between the 54th and 73rd minute.'

'Also synonymous with the expectation that goals come from the back 4 (or 3, or 5 depending on said individuals perverse mood in any given moment)'

Kostur

海尔的老板
There must be a name for this fetish somewhere on the dark-net;

'One who seeks a sick, gratuitous pleasure out of habitually and unnecessarily replacing full-backs between the 54th and 73rd minute.'

'Also synonymous with the expectation that goals come from the back 4 (or 3, or 5 depending on said individuals perverse mood in any given moment)'
Wasn't Darmian coming back from injury? Understandable if so. Blind got a knock I think, thus the Jones sub.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
darmian was due to match fitness, blind was either a knock or to have jones pace to defend against the counter attack while we pushed late on.

Walters_19_MuFc

Taking off Mata for Memphis mad sense to me. Unfortanately, he couldnt affect the game when he come on.

As for the other two, Darmian looked tired. CBJ come on and provided some well needed energy. Give us an outlet on the left and put in a couple of good balls in the box.

Blind looked like he was injured, so Jones was the obvious choice to replace him.

Gerald G

Taking Mata off for Memphis made sense to me, it just didn't work out as Memphis didn't add anything.

Darmian has literally just came back from a hamstring injury & they said Blind was carrying a knock.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Herrera off for Mata? Why? Yes, he looked knackered in the second half, but surely Fellaini was the one having a stinker, and Herrera was very dynamic in the first half?
Also, taking off Lingard when he missed a chance. No tactical purpose, just puts down his confidence. He did score one, and keeping him on after he'd missed one could have pushed him to do better the next time?

Why wasn't Darmian taken off for CBJ? Or Pereira brought on?

I don't remember LVG ever making a sub for us which actually turned things in our favour. It's always baffling decisions, and it's always left us in more trouble. He is hopeless with his subs.

Walters_19_MuFc

Herrera off for Mata? Why? Yes, he looked knackered in the second half, but surely Fellaini was the one having a stinker, and Herrera was very dynamic in the first half?
Also, taking off Lingard when he missed a chance. No tactical purpose, just puts down his confidence. He did score one, and keeping him on after he'd missed one could have pushed him to do better the next time?

Why wasn't Darmian taken off for CBJ? Or Pereira brought on?

I don't remember LVG ever making a sub for us which actually turned things in our favour. It's always baffling decisions, and it's always left us in more trouble. He is hopeless with his subs.
Last paragraph. Memphis come on against Sheff Utd and won us a pen.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Cost us a point the latest LVG sub. I've been a big Carrick fan over the years but it's obvious he's finished at this level.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Having got some momentum via Lingard and Martial on the left, it was bizarre to make a defensive substitution which signalled to West Brom that we were going to settle and they should come at us if they wanted it. Van Gaal's caution again bites us in the backside.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
So LVG makes a defensive minded substitution, everyone complains he's not going for it in the match day thread, we concede proving he was right to be defensive, and people still complain as if Herrera would have saved us from conceding?!

People need to realise not everything is the manager's fault.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
You can't blame the goal on him, but just statistically speaking over almost 2 years in charge you'd expect some examples of excellent tactical subs working out. Just by luck if nothing else.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He took out Herrera, who was plugging holes everywhere. He leaves on 35 year old Carrick. Van Gaal is an idiot. He really is. He's like that guy who tries fancy tricks playing footy trying to look good but everyone expects those tricks because that's all he does.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
So LVG makes a defensive minded substitution, everyone complains he's not going for it in the match day thread, we concede proving he was right to be defensive, and people still complain as if Herrera would have saved us from conceding?!

The reason why we've conceded is that we sat deeper and have kept a completely immobile player on the pitch(Carrick) that was being masked by Herrera's energy.

acnumber9

In what way did that substitution make us better defensively?

Djemba-Djemba

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

We conceded because he made a shit substitution.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

We literally lost all momentum we had with that sub

U99ted

To get anything out of the game we have to attack now... with one less attacking player.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I disagree with you all. Mid match posters are a miserable bunch.