Magic Neymar

Fenomeno9

Where would you rank Neymar in terms of overall best Brazilian players of the last 30 years. For me i'd have:

1) Ronaldinho
2) Ronaldo (R9)
3) Kaka
4) Rivaldo \ Neymar
Depends if your talking national team or just overall.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Brazilians declining early is such a lazy myth. Does Owen, Torres and Rooney have Brazilian grandparents or something.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Brazilians declining early is such a lazy myth. Does Owen, Torres and Rooney have Brazilian grandparents or something.
Owen and Torres both suffered from recurring injuries and Rooney had been professional since 16 and only really fell off a cliff when he was 29/30, he's actually one of the worst examples you could've used considering he was a good player for about 12/13 years.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
How about spanish forwards being a bit shit when they are 30? David Villa was terrible after World Cup 2010. Torres obviously. What did Raul do in his later years at Real?

Fenomeno9

Owen and Torres both suffered from recurring injuries and Rooney had been professional since 16 and only really fell off a cliff when he was 29/30, he's actually one of the worst examples you could've used considering he was a good player for about 12/13 years.
Why does those excuse not apply to Ronaldo, Adriano and Kaka? Ronaldo started at 16 as well. Both had injuries that derailed there career. Adriano lost his love of futbol once his father died and healed his pain with alcohol.

Ronaldinho and Robinho I can understand fizzling out early because of poor work ethic.

MetoTTT

Excellent player but I can't stand him. Great technique, vision...he has it all to be a great player. But his childish, diva and prima donna attitude will ruin him. He'll never reach the full potential he has imo. Not talking about his dives.
His biggest mistake is that he believes he's already the best player in the world, or even in history.
For me, he isn't top 5 brazilian player:

Ronaldo, Pele, Romario, Ronaldinho, Socrates, Zico, Garrincha, Cafu, R. Carlos were better than him for me.

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He didn't look much worse than Messi for Barca which is a tremendous achievement. Think it was a bad decision to go to Paris. There's no way to buy battle hardedness.

Ability-wise, he's probably second only to Messi at the moment. But he will only show it in the French league which obviously won't get much attention or admiration.
Nah, I disagree.

The Firestarter

It means they usually get washed up at an earlier age. Happened to Ronaldinho amongst others.
Brazilian forward players do have a history of falling off a cliff once they hit about 28. Ronaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Robinho etc.
I am aware of the notion, but from the way the poster worded it would appear there were physiological reasons for these developments.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Aside from one mazy run, he was absolute shite last night. Just looks like he can't be arsed all the time, like he's too good to even share the pitch with the other 21 players. He went to PSG to be the main man, with Mbappe being a Parisian, leading France to a World Cup & having an arguably even higher potential ceiling than Neymar, he won't be the main man there for much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if he fecked off soon. Madrid have a "superstar" spot open right now, can see him going there.

cyberman

Remember when it was argued that the French league was so easy for him that it would dull his talents? We were then called EPL fanboys etc etc.
Mbappe could be in the same boat if he's not careful

Matt007a

Shows the importance of mental attitude in football really.

Zlatan went there, knowing it was a step down from Barcelona but no one really questions him because he made himself THE player at that club. His performances and numbers speak for themselves and his attitude would never ever be questioned. He elevated the club in terms of profile and on pitch performance.

Neymar takes the same step down and is basically happy to take the money and only shows up when he fancies it. He's got more ability than Zlatan had, yet he's half the player for them.

Bwuk

Zlatan went there, knowing it was a step down from Barcelona but no one really questions him because he made himself THE player at that club. His performances and numbers speak for themselves and his attitude would never ever be questioned. He elevated the club in terms of profile and on pitch performance.

Neymar takes the same step down and is basically happy to take the money and only shows up when he fancies it. He's got more ability than Zlatan had, yet he's half the player for them.
Don't agree for a second that Neymar has more ability than Zlatan.

I'd have Zlatan at his peak over peak Neymar without question.

Matt007a

Don't agree for a second that Neymar has more ability than Zlatan.

I'd have Zlatan at his peak over peak Neymar without question.
I would have Zlatan as well for the overall package. I just think Neymar has the edge on technical ability, albeit not by much. If he had Zlatan's mentality I think he could just about surpass him.

He probably never will though.

the_irish123

What did Zlatan do at PSG that Neymar hasn’t? Neymar stats are better if you count assists, Zlatan didn’t show up in Europe and Neymar still has a chance to. He got injured last CL and this year is still open, people are overreacting in the first game. Verratti will be back and their midfield will improve.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What did Zlatan do at PSG that Neymar hasn’t? Neymar stats are better if you count assists, Zlatan didn’t show up in Europe and Neymar still has a chance to. He got injured last CL and this year is still open, people are overreacting in the first game. Verratti will be back and their midfield will improve.
Today I learned that scoring 20 goals in 33 CL appearances "isn't showing up"

Cantonagotmehere

Amazing player, but lack of helping out last night was remarkable. He's easy to get fed up with as a neutral. I want to see great players work hard along with skill.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He doesn't grasp that to be a truly top player you have to actually work hard and play for the team. He plays for himself and he'll go down ultimately as a disappointment, really don't think he has the mentality needed. Going to PSG was a huge indicator of that for me.

the_irish123

Today I learned that scoring 20 goals in 33 CL appearances "isn't showing up"
Production wise, Neymar has been as impressive as anyone in PSG.

People are confusing his World Cup with his PSG career. Actually, his broken foot might've changed everything from now on, but last season he was immense.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Production wise, Neymar has been as impressive as anyone in PSG.

People are confusing his World Cup with his PSG career. Actually, his broken foot might've changed everything from now on, but last season he was immense.
And that's fine for the most part, but he's got a long way to go to match Zlatan at PSG is the point. One injury-abbreviated season against an extremely poor Ligue 1 & a CL group do not an especially impressive resume make.

ZAGREB RED

Rivaldo over Kaka for me. In his day, absolutely incredible
Incredible to think that in the summer of 2004 he was all set to sign for Celtic but baulked at the idea that he needed to prove himself to Martin O' Neill on Celtic's pre-season tour.

sosolid4u09

Neymars attitude will forever hold him back when compared to Messi and Ronaldo.

He just seems too interested to show boat and piss around. He takes far too many touches and plays like he's doing his team mates a favour by being out there.

He's one of the best players of this generation but he could be so much more, given his talent

sosolid4u09

Incredible to think that in the summer of 2004 he was all set to sign for Celtic but baulked at the idea that he needed to prove himself to Martin O' Neill on Celtic's pre-season tour.
i totally forgot about this!

MrEleson

And that's fine for the most part, but he's got a long way to go to match Zlatan at PSG is the point. One injury-abbreviated season against an extremely poor Ligue 1 & a CL group do not an especially impressive resume make.
What exactly did Zlatan do at PSG that Neymar has a long way to match? He never set the CL alight for them and had many tries. Just won ligue 1 a bunch of times like they continued doing without him anyway. Are people really overrating Zlatan to belittle Neymar? Zlatan never truly performed in the CL (Europe’s premier competition). Neymar has already had better campaigns than him in that competition. Like 14/15 & 16/17 and he’s far from done.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Neymars attitude will forever hold him back when compared to Messi and Ronaldo.

He just seems too interested to show boat and piss around. He takes far too many touches and plays like he's doing his team mates a favour by being out there.

He's one of the best players of this generation but he could be so much more, given his talent
Exactly. Imagine if a player like Fellaini had his ability

Johnny Love

What's funny is that Neymar left Barcelona to escape from Messi's shadow only to find himself in the shadow of Mbappe. Life's great!

the_irish123

Zlatan was doing it in an equally bad Ligue 1 and mostly in group stages, as his PSG side was being stopped at round of 16 constantly.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Has he fully recovered from last season's injury? I mean not physically, but performance-wise? I obviously don't watch much of him and at the World Cup you could've seen him struggling without the needed practice.
He is fit to play but the feeling Neymar 2017 was much more frisky in terms of execution speed.

Also, since his return last summer, it seems he is no longer interested in providing width and wants to play as a #10 but it isn't is best role.

TsuWave

cracking player

joint top CL scoring brazilian and he's only 26.

MrBest

Where would you rank Neymar in terms of overall best Brazilian players of the last 30 years. For me i'd have:

1) Ronaldinho
2) Ronaldo (R9)
3) Kaka
4) Rivaldo \ Neymar
Neymar wouldn't be in my top 4. Too hard to choose after Ronaldo to be honest but to that list I would add cafu Carlos Romario. Neymar plays for himself, not his country and for that reason i don't think he even comes close to pele Ronaldo Ronaldinho and co. He may end up with more goals but 3 goals against a weaker team means nothing. The other guys won world cups! Top 10 at stretch for me.

the_irish123

Multiple reports today, including reporter who broke his transfer to PSG, that he wants out of PSG ; possibly to Barca again.

But he's available, and hopefully Woody at least tries to go for it.

Steven7290

Multiple reports today, including reporter who broke his transfer to PSG, that he wants out of PSG ; possibly to Barca again.

But he's available, and hopefully Woody at least tries to go for it.
We are in no position to refuse a player of his quality however I doubt we would be his long term plan, along with the antics and circus he brings with him I'm really skeptical.