Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cessna

Well, something thing to distinguish him from Phil Jones in a few years.

Harry is telling everyone that he has not given up and is not content on the bench. Some of it might be a bit cringe, but he should be allow to say it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
it was agreed between the clubs, Moyes even said so. What wasnt agreed was United paying him off, which he is trying to make out its not him
A deal was agreed in principle, but that is far far away from any actual transaction or official deal being accepted.
It seems it never actually got much further between the clubs as a deal couldn't be agreed, like Maguire is saying.

clarkydaz

A deal was agreed in principle, but that is far far away from any actual transaction or official deal being accepted.
It seems it never actually got much further between the clubs as a deal couldn't be agreed, like Maguire is saying.
We can do this dance over and over, the club accepted a deal as per the West Ham manager publicly saying so, and the player didnt move

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We can do this dance over and over, the club accepted a deal as per the West Ham manager publicly saying so, and the player didnt move
a deal wasn't agreed between the two clubs. A fee was agreed in principle but no deal was agreed.

Again, what Maguire is saying is correct, but of course people like to abuse Maguire just because it's him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No, there isn't much objectively wrong with anything he's said.

But this is precisely why we should have just feckin' moved him on this summer. Paid whatever it took to compensate West Ham for whatever wage demands he had. Just taken that hit in order to get him the feck out.

He's a high-profile player on big money who is not favoured by the man picking the team. This was obvious months ago.

If we actually had proper football management, this would have been sorted out. It's the kind of thing you have to sort out - you can't just leave it hanging.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

But this is precisely why we should have just feckin' moved him on this summer. Paid whatever it took to compensate West Ham for whatever wage demands he had. Just taken that hit in order to get him the feck out.

He's a high-profile player on big money who is not favoured by the man picking the team. This was obvious months ago.

If we actually had proper football management, this would have been sorted out. It's the kind of thing you have to sort out - you can't just leave it hanging.
May be the plan all along is refuse to pay him up, so that he stays and keep the fans busy abusing him.

frostbite

Without him, we wouldn't have won the last game and ETH's position would be dire right now. Maguire and McT saved ETH.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
May be the plan all along is refuse to pay him up, so that he stays and keep the fans busy abusing him.
Yes, I suppose it is a possibility that Murtough personally dislikes the fecker and wants to see him humiliated as much as possible.

The more likely scenario, however, is that Murtough doesn't know what the feck he's doing. Or, alternatively, doesn't have the power to do what he should be doing as a so-called DOF.

Back To Madeira

If David Brent wore football boots.

I can imagine him in training, “Yeah but no, what we’ll do is throw our trainers over the roof and whoever gets furthest is the real captain, and that’s the real captain of the team, the winner of that is the real one and gets to to wear the armband to the pub’ .
Managers keep picking me, so I must be brilliant. That's their opinion..

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Without him, we wouldn't have won the last game and ETH's position would be dire right now. Maguire and McT saved ETH.
That's irrelevant, though.

Do you think ETH wants Maguire to be a first choice CB? Is there anything to suggest that Maguire was a significant part of ETH's plans going into this season?

For the record, I personally think Maguire is a good player - in the right system.

But that too is irrelevant in this context.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, I suppose it is a possibility that Murtough personally dislikes the fecker and wants to see him humiliated as much as possible.

The more likely scenario, however, is that Murtough doesn't know what the feck he's doing. Or, alternatively, doesn't have the power to do what he should be doing as a so-called DOF.
I do agree it makes no sense not to take the 40m from west ham, pay him up(whatever the difference in salary for the remaining utd contract) and let him leave back in summer.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I do agree it makes no sense not to take the 40m from west ham, pay him up(whatever the difference in salary for the remaining utd contract) and let him leave back in summer.
Correct, it makes no sense.

Of course, the usual caveat: we don't know all the details, so forth, whatever.

But we do know that Maguire is not favoured by ETH (that is not speculation, it is a fact based on how much he's played).

And by all accounts, West Ham were interested in buying him. However, money was a problem. They weren't willing to offer more than X (some say 40m), and Maguire himself was not willing to take a pay cut. So, there was a discrepancy there. United had to make up the difference, as it were. Around 10m - something like that, is what most sources stated.

Simply put, do you take that hit (10m or whatever it was, it certainly wasn't much more than that) in order to remove that player (a potential huge distraction in all sorts of ways) from the equation?

Answer: Yes, you do. Obviously.

Whoever actually is in charge of United's transfer policy (Murtough? ETH? Darcie Glazer?) did not, however.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Once again I’m completely baffled by the media’s obsession with this average, run-of-the-mill defender.

van Nistelrooy

When you refer to a friendly against Australia as a "big game", then you know he's talking nonsense.

It's easy to talk about your win record when you've not been first-choice for a second season and usually start FA/Carabao Cup games against rotated sides.

RedDevil@84

Well, something thing to distinguish him from Phil Jones in a few years.

Harry is telling everyone that he has not given up and is not content on the bench. Some of it might be a bit cringe, but he should be allow to say it.
Words are empty. Anyone can say a bunch of things. If he wants to go, he will put in a transfer request. But the truth is he wants to get all the money owed, which is fair enough, but the club then have no incentive to sell him and would rather keep him as backup.
He also got an offer from West Ham, but apparently he doesn't wanna go there. So that's there.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I definitely think his time here is done but he's not really said anything wrong here has he?
No. But people will clutch their pearls. As always.

It’s a very professional response, and if it was anyone else, it would be a non event.

Thom Merrilin

Fair enough for him to defend himself, it just makes him look a bit entitled and arrogant imo. He's started two games this season, performed OK in each of them against poor opposition and that's supposed to be enough to prove yourself? Evans has performed better this season and should rightfully be ahead of Maguire in selection. Neither should be starters though.

frostbite

That's irrelevant, though.

Do you think ETH wants Maguire to be a first choice CB? Is there anything to suggest that Maguire was a significant part of ETH's plans going into this season?

For the record, I personally think Maguire is a good player - in the right system.

But that too is irrelevant in this context.
I agree with you, it is better for everyone if Maguire leaves.

However, I am just pointing out the obvious: He and McT were the main reasons we won this past game. I think this is extremely positive and shows good character and we should recognize this.

I can imagine that a lot of people, if their boss did not like them, would be disheartened and would not try very hard to do their jobs correctly. It was a positive surprise for me that those two, Maguire and McTominay, gave us the win.

Withnail

No. But people will clutch their pearls. As always.

It’s a very professional response, and if it was anyone else, it would be a non event.
Who's clutching pearls? He's after throwing out a ridiculous stat and deserves to have the piss taken over it. Since when do players every mention a personal win rate?

NZT-One

Fair enough for him to defend himself, it just makes him look a bit entitled and arrogant imo. He's started two games this season, performed OK in each of them against poor opposition and that's supposed to be enough to prove yourself? Evans has performed better this season and should rightfully be ahead of Maguire in selection. Neither should be starters though.
Thats my take on it as well. He really has a knack for choosing weird wordings at the wrong time. And I'd give it to him, that the reaction might be a bit OTT but its not like its the first time he makes himself look a bit weird.

I agree with you, it is better for everyone if Maguire leaves.

However, I am just pointing out the obvious: He and McT were the main reasons we won this past game. I think this is extremely positive and shows good character and we should recognize this.

I can imagine that a lot of people, if their boss did not like them, would be disheartened and would not try very hard to do their jobs correctly. It was a positive surprise for me that those two, Maguire and McTominay, gave us the win.
I agree in general, only thing I find a bit tricky is the notion, that they won us the game. Maguire played alright and McTom had two great moments and yes, McTominay won us the game, but the match was such a poor thing that even your fair points feel like overkill to me.

And thats coming from somebody, who thinks, Maguire should start currently and we should adapt our tactics to a degree.

C'est Moi Cantona

Once again I’m completely baffled by the media’s obsession with this average, run-of-the-mill defender.
I bet they couldn't believe what was coming out his mouth, they knew it would have most United fans frothing at the mouth and giving it the clicks they want.

CM

Don't think he's saying much wrong here. He's a footballer and wants to play more football... Colour me shocked.
Maguire hasn't been a starter in his position since the beginning of last season, none of this is anything new. He had the opportunity to leave in the summer and didn't take it. If he wants to stay and fight for his place as he claims, the injury crisis in defence has presented him with that chance so he'd do well to shut up and do it.

The comments about the win rate deserve to be mocked for the nonsense they are. How can he be brazen enough to fixate on such an arbitrary stat when our results in the gutter and his own performances have been nowhere near the standard? It goes some way to explaining the predicament we're in if this is how players think. Maguire has been the subject of so much scrutiny and even his comments don't demonstrate a hint of accountability or introspection. It's a horrible mentality for a player who has struggled as much as he has.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Who's clutching pearls? He's after throwing out a ridiculous stat and deserves to have the piss taken over it. Since when do players every mention a personal win rate?
Why should we care about it exactly? If it was a loved player that was struggling, everyone would be supportive. He’s not being treated with any respect. It’s gross.

Thom Merrilin

Why should we care about it exactly? If it was a loved player that was struggling, everyone would be supportive. He’s not being treated with any respect. It’s gross.
Rashford was a loved player who was struggling and many called for him to sold or bemoaned his lack of application. You need to earn respect and so far he's demonstrated that he cares and focuses more about himself than the team. This all coming from the man who used to be club captain.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Rashford was a loved player who was struggling and many called for him to sold or bemoaned his lack of application. You need to earn respect and so far he's demonstrated that he cares and focuses more about himself than the team. This all coming from the man who used to be club captain.
Exactly.

I'm not Rashford's biggest fan by a mile but the guy has at least occasionally done it for us and not on one or two of those but actual seasons.

Maguire has never done it for us.

johnnyteutonic

He was asked a question in a fecking press conference whilst on International duty....this is nothing to do with his 'PR team'
I am aware he was asked a question during a press conference. I am suggesting that a better PR team may be able to advise him not to make such self-aggrandising, vainglorious comments when asked these sorts of questions during press conferences, especially under these circumstances.

Lj82

Besides the self glorifying part, the rest of what he says are fine? In fact it suggests he will consider leaving the club for more regular football?

Eli Zee

Does he mean win rate for england or mufc? Our mufc rate can't be " ridiculously high" can it, with or without him

moodyred

I agree with him. I also don't like him playing once a month. He needs to have a chat with the club on how to exit gracefully.

Crashoutcassius

He seems to be a heavily insecure person having to continuously talk himself up in the media. Just shut the feck up and prove yourself on the pitch.

To think that he used to be our captain
Do you think he arranged the presser?

This your first week supporting football ?

Status
Not open for further replies.