Maguire: “My win rate under current manager is ridiculously high” | “I don’t like playing once a month, will have a chat with club”

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplate warrior

No Man Utd fans should ever boo Maguire again. To come back from this and perform so well for Man Utd is extraordinary and deserve the highest respect.

Our other 2 big money signings CBs are injury prone and not perform as good as Maguire this season.
Calm down. He's been okay for a few games against the likes of Sheffield United and a crap Fulham.

mu4c_20le

He only got his chance because Martinez got injured, whom I doubt Ten Hag would've dropped just for playing poorly.

Only thing proven is that his perseverance paid off..

Lentwood

He only got his chance because Martinez got injured, whom I doubt Ten Hag would've dropped just for playing poorly.

Not really, because Martinez plays at LCB, and ETH has shown he will not select a right-footed player at LCB if he can absolutely avoid it. He's currently keeping Varane out of the team, on merit imo.

He might not be fashionable, he might be slow, he might be clumsy sometimes...but he's still a big old slab of a defender, and sometimes you need that in the Premier League, especially away from home.

I think we'd be mad to sell him personally. He's worth more to us than the £25/30m we'd get. We should keep him a look for a younger CB to come in a develop them with Maguire as a good fallback

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

He's got his chance because Varane is a liability and Lindelof isnt good enough. As I predicted in the summer when people kept telling me he'd never play because "he's 5th choice".

el3mel

You can't fault the guy to be fair. I hate him but he has stepped up big time last few weeks and saved Ten Hag's neck multiple time, yet people are trying to convince me players downed the tool. For God's sake, if anyone would have downed the tools it would be him since he was benched and stripped off the armband by the current manager, yet he put on great performance when he was called back into the team.

Yakuza_devils

Calm down. He's been okay for a few games against the likes of Sheffield United and a crap Fulham.
Give credits where it's due, mate. In recent games, Maguire has shown that he is a very professional player with great attitude. ETH tried to offload him, took away his captaincy, benched him and made him 5th choice. He came back from all these to be one of the most important player this season. It's remarkable and deserve much respect for a player to do this.

If you don't think so see Sancho, Pogba, Henderson, Ronaldo and the likes.

city-puma

Bit of a tricky situation that the club are in. We need a top class defender to partner Martinez next season.

Varane is not reliable and you'd wonder whether the club will look to move on next season.

Maguire, despite finding a bit of form over the last few weeks, isn't a long term solution. However, he'll be wanting to play.

Either way, I think we need to get rid of one of them, leaving us with:

Martinez
New CB
Varane/Maguire
Lindelof
We invested so much on Varane and Case, huge fee plus high salaries. There is no easy way to let go. Dumb business. No wonder we have dire financial situation. Well, I rate both players but we have been throw away money so cheaply.

city-puma

You can't fault the guy to be fair. I hate him but he has stepped up big time last few weeks and saved Ten Hag's neck multiple time, yet people are trying to convince me players downed the tool. For God's sake, if anyone would have downed the tools it would be him since he was benched and stripped off the armband by the current manager, yet he put on great performance when he was called back into the team.
I guess you don’t really mean “hate him”.

black country red

You use the word hate there I suggest you reserve that word for both sides who are butchering children in the Middle East or that bastard putin who is trying to destroy ukraine not a footballer who has done no one any harm

el3mel

You use the word hate there I suggest you reserve that word for both sides who are butchering children in the Middle East or that bastard putin who is trying to destroy ukraine not a footballer who has done no one any harm
I hate him as a footballer. I don't care about him personally. Not like I deal with him with anything. You guys make a meal out of every single word.

Swedish_Plumber

There’s no point supporting the club if you can’t swallow your pride and accept he’s done well recently. Not everything has to be so black and white that you entrench yourself in an opinion forever.
Seems like one of the few out there playing with a bit of pride for the badge too, yet he gets the brunt of shite posts.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
There’s no point supporting the club if you can’t swallow your pride and accept he’s done well recently. Not everything has to be so black and white that you entrench yourself in an opinion forever.
Seems like one of the few out there playing with a bit of pride for the badge too, yet he gets the brunt of shite posts.
Well said. I was pissed with Maguire for not accepting he’s surplus to requirements in the summer and leaving. Instead, it shows he has ambition and he hasn’t just stayed for the money. He’s played very well and not-arguably is our best defender at the moment.

I’m genuinely very happy for him for how he’s turned things around so far. Long may it continue as the more he plays well, the better our results will be. If people on this forum still want to be quite toxically unsupportive of him then take it as a good thing that he’s probably raising his stock if he gets sold next summer then.

EvRedMist

Nothing but respect for how he has composed himself from a professional stand point. He has done a great job on coming back in, which shows a strong mentality in the face of endless ridicule.

Is he the answer to our nightmare defence problems? Not at all-he still has the same issues he has always had, but he can do a job against many teams in the league and it's great to see him getting the plaudits after what has been a torrid time for him.
To summarise, he is only showing that he can do a job in the Premier league and hopefully getting himself in the shop window for a decent price.

IrishRedDevil

He has done well recently so fair play, but he is still a symbol of what’s wrong with the club in recent times. Overpaid for average players and hoping for decent purple patches.

downxandxout

Supports Manc...ini
I admit the fickle nature of a football fan. I went from really disliking the guy to rooting for him. He seems to care. Whether it's about the club or his own reputation I don't know, but it's a trait not a lot of our players seem to have.

sparx99

We invested so much on Varane and Case, huge fee plus high salaries. There is no easy way to let go. Dumb business. No wonder we have dire financial situation. Well, I rate both players but we have been throw away money so cheaply.
Varane was a pretty reasonable fee to be honest. £34m for a 28yr old defender with his pedigree is not bad. Obviously his injury record was a concern and it’s played out that way. Fingers crossed he can have a bit more luck and stay fit for us.

Tyrion

He has done well recently so fair play, but he is still a symbol of what’s wrong with the club in recent times. Overpaid for average players and hoping for decent purple patches.
Pretty much. This happens all the time. Half decent players are defended because we focus on the 25% of games that they're good in and ignore the rest.

I still think we'd be better off replacing him.

sparx99

Pretty much. This happens all the time. Half decent players are defended because we focus on the 25% of games that they're good in and ignore the rest.

I still think we'd be better off replacing him.
We always fail to capitalise on it by selling as well. I have no problem with Maguire personally or whatnot and I’m fine with him as squad depth.

However, another CB should be on the shopping list and if that means less opportunity for Maguire and someone makes a good offer then he can go.

Frankly, I’m not opposed to Varane moving on as well. He’s an excellent player but we need a proper partnership to build at the back. We all remember Bruce and Pallister, Stam & Johnsen, Ferdinand and Vidic.

Martinez seems like one half of the puzzle if he can get fit and return to form but a strong, quick and physically dominant centre back needs to be on the list.

Ted Lasso

Feel very much the same. Some of his comments about staying at United gave that away too - seemingly the whole world of fans egging him on to leave , he wanted to stay and make it. Even if it's for his own sense of pride that's more than some of our players can say

Chairman Steve

You got to say he’s got character and resolve despite all the shit he’s taken. I wish we could take his personality and put it into the likes of Martial and Sancho.

Abraxas

He has definitely hit some better form. Not exactly a redemption arc but it's nice to see. Not making the silly errors that give clear chances to the opposition. That helps. Can't make him quicker or more able to turn, and he'll probably always dilly dally a fair bit. But if he just clears his lines at times, has good positioning and his usual aerial ability and strength then there are attributes there that can produce performances. Not the long term answer but nice to see him put the performances in rather than getting constantly battered from pillar to post. Good for him and good for the team at this stage with injuries.

Hughes35

Fair play to him. Will never be world class but he's been good. Was probably my MOTM yesterday..... the bar was pretty low but he performed well..

Cypriot

Happy he's playing well. It's only a good thing for the current squad - whom all have been pretty pathetic recently. Everyone is stinking up the place at the moment so the 'it's only Fulham' rubbish doesn't really apply.

Big Andy

Bloke
He was never as bad as people made out anyway. People jump on the social media cnuts and fan cammers opinions and run with it.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

The agenda against him online and the agenda for him from the media is utterly bizarre. When he wears United shirts we should all be feckin supporting him. Hes not good enough but hes here, that should be enough until we replace him.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He was never as bad as people made out anyway. People jump on the social media cnuts and fan cammers opinions and run with it.
He absolutely was every bit as bad as he was made out to be, fair play to him that he has turned his form around but he was garbage for a good 18 months.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He absolutely was every bit as bad as he was made out to be, fair play to him that he has turned his form around but he was garbage for a good 18 months.
He wasn't, hence this title. People just based their opinions on memes and joined the pile on.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Did anyone else see on MOTD last night, they basically spent the entire post match analysis eulogising about him…

Barely mentioned Bruno coming through with the winning goal.

It’s great that he’s playing decently in patches but to make out he’s some kind of hero for doing what should be the bare minimum for him is odd.

abailey123

Just taking the armband off him seems to have loosened the shackles. He’s not had a poor game at all this season and was colossal yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.