Maguire | he stays!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Great idea. Let's sack ETH and hire Ole back.
He was talking about Pogba who wasn’t an Ole signing. Same old trash blaming everyone and everything but Pogba for his failings.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He was so bad at attacking headers for us though. Won them, but rarely scored them.
That’s true but the World Cup for England he got on the end of them all very well. Which is part of the reason we signed him due to them performances.

el3mel

Nowhere near the worst. He had 2 good seasons and 2 poor ones. 50% hit rate. Sanchez was absolutely terrible in practically every game. Factor in his 400k pw wages (double Maguires?) and he was far worse. Di Maria was pathetic. Pogba? Lost the full £89m on that one and he didn't exactly cover himself in glory.
He didn't have 2 good seasons. That is just what you and others are convincing yourselves. He has been a concern throughout all his time here.

Pogba at least has the Europe League final goal under his name.

We recouped most of Di Maria's fee.

Maguire's transfer has been a disaster.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think it's a fair point to make but realistically if you shift the onus on West Ham to put forward more convincing personal terms matching his pay here, that's money not put in the transfer fee.

If all the muppet guessing about his remaining amortization value is correct then it is more interesting for United to get an higher value upfront nominally even if in reality it includes kickbacks.

Ultimately you can argue all manners of demonstrations of future expected earnings but you need the player to agree to the transfer in the present. I think most would agree we'd rather move him this window if possible. West Ham made a fair offer and I doubt we're getting a better deal or returns for him, severance package or not.
I’d like to think Maguire also still has some remaining ambition as a player and would rather play every week for a decent PL team than be 4th or 5th choice here. End of the day the £2m a year won’t make monumental difference.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Getting back almost half of what we paid for is a pretty decent coup all things considered.

I never could fully bring myself to dislike him, he seemed like a decent lad who just wasn't good enough really, wish him well.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don’t think we should be contributing anything towards his wages. He only had two years left here and will get a 5-year deal from West Ham, so instead of making £20m for the next two seasons he might be guaranteeing up to £35m to £40m throughout 5 years. That is a fair deal.
If United open a go fund me campaign I’d be one of the first to contribute.. don’t care about that tbh just to cross the line..

Ole'sgunnarwin

There's this idea that once he's left us he'll be going back the being a good defender again at West Ham.

It's fine if you believe that the sum total of his mistakes over the years is explainable by way of pressure, but really it's just a naive point.

He made similar mistakes at Leicester; the only difference is that United fans didn't watch Leicester with any regularity, but I can assure you, the same error laden traits were there even before he joined United.

This isn't some thing that developed in line with his move to United, or is factored on by the presence of pressure. It's just who he is.

So no, I don't buy that moving to West Ham will suddenly mitigate his penchant for egregious mistakes by way of reduced pressure. He'll be largely the same. It's an issue of decision making and of general mobility.
I agree 100%

GazTheLegend

We spend 80m on him, plus around 40m salary for 4 years (add another 5m for the fee we need to pay him off for his contract worth). That's total 125m investment. And we will receive 30m from West Ham. So that's around 95m net spent on Maguire.

He has 2 decent seasons with us, and 2 very poor seasons.

What do you lot think of that? Tragic decision to bring him in? or just one of those big money deal not coming off as expected?
Whatever we might think of it, it will probably go down in history as one of the worst signings a team has ever made. We spent Ronaldo money on a decent centre back.

That's not to say that I personally had anything against the signing, and on paper you could argue he achieved the main thing we set out to do which was get into the champions league - and he was alright for us (and brilliant for England) at times.

There have honestly been worse signings made by other teams and especially by us considering the £ for £ and € for €. Maguire never seems to get injured for long and is good for 60 games a season, which was honestly worth the money Vs Jones and Smalling who played what, 20-30 games at best? He will do fine at West Ham.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We bought him for 80m and sold him for 30m only. Got stripped from the armband along the way.

Absolute fecking disaster of a deal that was from the start. Easily one of our worst transfers ever, maybe even the worst.
And yet you had him in your 'Post SAF best XI' in 2021.
De Gea
Valencia - Maguire - Smalling - Shaw
Herrera - Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood - Zlatan - Rashford

Not many great options to choose from, to be honest.
Lets not rewrite history. The last two seasons have been poor but he had very good spells.

bdspeedy

He's a fairly good defender so long as he never has to catch anybody. He is a good header so long as it's a clearance and not off of a Man Utd corner. He's a pretty good passer. He's the GOAT as far as pointing and grimacing. Hope he finds his way.

Gandalf

Whatever we might think of it, it will probably go down in history as one of the worst signings a team has ever made. We spent Ronaldo money on a decent centre back.

That's not to say that I personally had anything against the signing, and on paper you could argue he achieved the main thing we set out to do which was get into the champions league - and he was alright for us (and brilliant for England) at times.

There have honestly been worse signings made by other teams and especially by us considering the £ for £ and € for €. Maguire never seems to get injured for long and is good for 60 games a season, which was honestly worth the money Vs Jones and Smalling who played what, 20-30 games at best? He will do fine at West Ham.
Not a great signing but he was not Nicolas Pepe levels of bad lets be honest. We tend to think we are the only big club to make mistakes but they all do it if you want to look for examples. It is a function of being a big club that you are going to pay big money for players who are supposedly at the top of their game and the spotlight means that those deals will look far worse than they actually are when the player does not live up to expectations.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Is it Christmas in the middle of summer? If we get north of £25m net from Maguire, it would be.

hobbers

Paqueta is supposedly on over 120k and Zouma on around 100k.

Maguire will be at least equal to their top earner, especially if he’s brought in to captain.

Plastic Evra

Not a great signing but he was not Nicolas Pepe levels of bad lets be honest. We tend to think we are the only big club to make mistakes but they all do it if you want to look for examples. It is a function of being a big club that you are going to pay big money for players who are supposedly at the top of their game and the spotlight means that those deals will look far worse than they actually are when the player does not live up to expectations.
I don't remember the chronology of transfers then but the same summer Bayern and Juve both bought CBs for 80m€... Did the United bosses felt they had to make a statement they could too ?

madzo2007

As others have said he had 2 good seasons when he joined and the rest have been poor. He dealt with the instant pressure of being named captain after he joined pretty well and remember how we were all hoping he would be fit for the Europa League Final

It seems like his Mykonos incident really affected him and Ronaldo's influence and "aura" coming probably undermined his position as captain. He was rushed back from injury and gave an awful display against Leicester which seemed to be the sign of things to come. Ole and then Ten Hag wanting to play higher up the pitch exposes him alot. West Ham will be a good fit as he gets to sit deeper and good luck to him.

el3mel

:lol:

Ouch, @el3mel has had a shocker here!
First, I have the above poster on the ignore list so thanks for letting me know he quoted me.

Second, in 2021 his competitors for the spot were Jones, Rojo, Evans, Bailly, Lindelof and Blackett. Yeah he's better than these crap options, it's not rocket science. It also doesn't mean he's good himself. Same for Smalling who is also in this lineup Even though he has been mediocre to bad for us.

In the last line of the post I said there're not many good options to choose from.

Since then we had signed Varane and Martinez whom would easily take both spots.

"Shocker" my arse.

Read through the context.

Cloud7

And yet you had him in your 'Post SAF best XI' in 2021.

Lets not rewrite history. The last two seasons have been poor but he had very good spells.
To be totally fair, in 2021 our Post SAF CB's would have been Smalling, Jones, Maguire, Bailly, Blind and Lindelof. Being chosen out of that bunch isn't really a great endorsement :lol:

OrcaFat

Whatever we might think, nobody sensible will regard him as one of the worse signings ever.

Leftback99

To be totally fair, in 2021 our Post SAF CB's would have been Smalling, Jones, Maguire, Bailly, Blind and Lindelof. Being chosen out of that bunch isn't really a great endorsement :lol:
No doubt. Just found it funny someone saying he was our best CB after 2 years at the club, to maybe 'worst ever signing' now. These posters change their mind like the wind.

Zed 101

As others have said he had 2 good seasons when he joined and the rest have been poor. He dealt with the instant pressure of being named captain after he joined pretty well and remember how we were all hoping he would be fit for the Europa League Final

It seems like his Mykonos incident really affected him and Ronaldo's influence and "aura" coming probably undermined his position as captain. He was rushed back from injury and gave an awful display against Leicester which seemed to be the sign of things to come. Ole and then Ten Hag wanting to play higher up the pitch exposes him alot. West Ham will be a good fit as he gets to sit deeper and good luck to him.
100% ... I have no animosity for Maguire it has just reached a point whereby his position here is nigh untenable.... I hope he turns it around... Elsewhere

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I don't, it's a load of shite. Best player in the post Sir Alex era?? What a load of bollock. He's been one of the most error prone players since Sir Alex retired and a bloody useless Captain.
Christ. That post was about Pogba. Latest the racist part should have given it away.
But outcome is the same, it was a rubbish post. I repeatedly see posts that part of the reason people criticised Pogba was some hidden racism. Likely true with some. But then can we apply this “logic” to other players such as Sancho, Rashford or even Lingard as well? The latter didn’t even cost a fee but got so much criticism?
And if there are different/other reasons those players get blame, then are there not also different/other reasons Pogba got blame?

big_jeffstar

Decent player in the right system. He’s just horribly exposed in a modern front foot thinking football team, he’ll most likely be fine at West Ham.. and then the usual suspects will come out and say how wrong we were to get rid of him. Ignoring the fact that West Ham play a completely different brand of football to us

RedMistyDevil

It's sad about Maguire, because he has previously shown in several seasons that he can be a really good defender. I think he would have had a chance to get back to this level at United if he had experienced more support. Many fans have been disgusted with him. Fans have been booing him, making fun of him, making mocking videos of him. "Experts" on TV have been after him every single time he made the slightest mistake. It has been a vicious treatment he has received in my eyes and it has made it harder for him to find his old form.

I hope that he gets more peace at West Ham, where he becomes an important player and I hope he returns to his old form and level.
It's unfortunate that there are so many abusive tweets/posts directed at him, and that's uncalled for.

However, the media is always going to talk about United players, fairly or unfairly. Being a United player put him in their crosshairs, and being the captain meant that he was always going to be under a microscope. It was up to him to manage the pressure of being the United captain, and unfortunately, he couldn't handle that.

I'm sure he'd turn out to be a decent buy for West Ham, and haunt us by scoring a set-piece header or something, after which the media will claim that we're idiots for selling him.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
130k would make him top 2 paid player at the club. I am not sure if they are ready to give that kind of money.
Knowing how bats*** mad Moyes is over Maguire, I bet they will have sanctioned 130-150k on him a week.

Which is ok now, but in 3 years when he isn't even starting material anymore, that's going to be insane, especially when Moyes leaves next summer and we no doubt get a more progressive manager in to appease the fans.

Therein lies the problem. For today/this season I'm sire Moyes gets a tune out of him and its worth it. Rolling forwards and I'm far from convinced that both Maguire won't deteriorate or Moyes won't be here at all. At which point we have a literally insellable player stuck to us eating 130-150k a week out of our modest wage budget.

Ah well 3 posts left until the daily reset.

Alemar

Rolling forwards and I'm far from convinced that both Maguire won't deteriorate
Not possible. At this point, he can only improve, seriously speaking. If he gets confidence back, he may do Ok for a defensive team

FujiVice

31 this year. Is Maguire really going to find his feet again? Maybe he's just past it. It happens.

Withnail

I'm sure he'd turn out to be a decent buy for West Ham, and haunt us by scoring a set-piece header or something, after which the media will claim that we're idiots for selling him.
Literally couldn't care less if that happened. We're miles better off without him. Why does this even enter your head?

90 + 5min

31 this year. Is Maguire really going to find his feet again? Maybe he's just past it. It happens.
When you play 10 players behind the ball and low defensive line he will do ok there. Maguire was and is not working in a team that is attacking. Someone will now say, what about Leicester. There were just counterattacking.

itsesskemo

Anyone else think United should go for Laporte to replace maguire on the bench? Gives cover to Martinez as lcb and he wouldn’t have to move house.

Blood Mage

Our worst signing ever. It will be a massive relief to see the back of him, cheers Moyes.

Leftback99

Our worst signing ever. It will be a massive relief to see the back of him, cheers Moyes.
Another one who named him in their best XI post SAF in 2021.
De Gea
Valencia - Smalling - Maguire - Shaw
Herrera - Fellaini
Rashford - Bruno - Martial
Ibrahimovic
Yes I selected Fellaini over Pogba, Carrick and Matic, laugh all you want. He was a very effective player under Van Gaal and made the difference in a lot of matches, especially in 14/15.

RedMistyDevil

Literally couldn't care less if that happened. We're miles better off without him. Why does this even enter your head?
Only that the media will always find something to say about United because it drives their engagement.