Maguire is no longer United captain

Red00012

Exactly my thoughts. Why the statement? Comes across entitled and bitter.
The Sun tomorrow morning “ Maguire storms out of meeting after been stripped of captaincy”
Or
“Maguire found out through a what’s app he’s lost his captaincy “

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Hes confirmed hes not going anywhere, unless its a ploy to get a better offer for the club but seeming reluctant to leave but I think hes here for the new season ahead. Cant see us signing an attacker now if we cant shift anyone on and Maguire was going to be a good chunk of that.

King Eric 7

ETH heard he was happy to stay and fight for his place so he wiped the smile straight off his face. Let's see how that works first before freezing him out even more.

Not going to read anything into tweets from players' social media accounts. The vast majority of high profile players don't touch these accounts and for good reason.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Right decision for all parties, and a fresh start for next season.

That said, I don’t get the level of hatred and abuse directed at him, bizarre imo.

Castia

Take the hint Harry

Southgate is obviously a big fan of Maguire but even he can’t justify 2 seasons sat on the bench, he will lose his England spot for the Euro’s.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Just a reminder, in the week where Dele Alli has talked about personal problems causing his downfall, don't be too harsh on Harry who is experiencing quite a fall from grace.
Man I totally agree with you but until a player is about to hang themselves fans simply won’t get it.

Social media is sickening.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Turns out, he did not meet the maguirements.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not his fault he wasn’t up to it, but him being captain was a distraction in and of itself. How can you call yourself the captain if you don’t start, and when you do you’re a liability? Absolutely the correct decision.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not his fault he wasn’t up to it, but him being captain was a distraction in and of itself. How can you call yourself the captain if you don’t start, and when you do you’re a liability? Absolutely the correct decision.
So he self appointed him captain? Jesus wept. I know people say football fans are thick…

Skills

Snitch
Genuinely ridiculous decision to make him captain in the first place after 3 months.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The fact that you think I hate him is only because you hate me. See how that works? I don’t hate him. I just found it strange that he felt the need to post it. Never seen an internal decision like stripping off captaincy being posted like that on twitter before atleast not from a United captain.
Which Utd captain has been stripped of captaincy before, at least in the social media age? I guess Neville stepped down from being the team captain a few months before he retired, but even then I think he stayed club captain until he retired. Young, Valencia, Carrick, Rooney, Vidic and Keane all stayed captain until they left. Same going back through Cantona, Bruce and Robson. So of course none of them made a statement about losing captaincy.

Trophy Room

Genuine bloke albeit a bit delusional. Good defender for the right club. He should leave for his career, still has a few years left.

Longshanks

Took on the job when in all honesty there was noone else after Ashley young left. It was him, an out of form De gea or an injured Pogba.

Actually had a very good first 18 months or so, then Ronaldo joined undermined him and the manager and everything fell apart. His form, the teams from, Ole was sacked then Ronaldo's form fell apart aswell.

ETH didn't want him at LCB because he isn't left footed even though he has basically only ever played at LCB, so Martinez took his place and he dropped behind Varane in the pecking order for RCB Despite that he played ok when called upon last year and has only ever been respectful towards the club despite essentially being dropped from the side.

It's the right decision to remove him of the captaincy I think the extra pressure was eating him up especially when if he does stay he will have to fight for his place. He he can find his old form again than he certainly a very handy 2nd choice RCB to have.

Roboc7

Correct decision, was a really poor choice as Captain in the first place, should have happened a lot sooner but it has been made much easier by phasing him out.

Jonno

Correct decision. I also like how he is staggering these things. If he had pushed out DDG, Maguire, McFred and Ronaldo in one summer, it would have been too much and could have backfired.

He’s given everybody a chance to fit his system.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Reckon this probably means he's staying. If he was leaving we could have just sold him without stripping him off the armband.

OL29

I feel sorry for him. I hope if he does get a move or if he eventually finds his way back into the team here that he can prove himself because the level of abuse is so unwarranted.

Castia

Reckon this probably means he's staying. If he was leaving we could have just sold him without stripping him off the armband.
He was probably comfortable to stay but I think ETH has made it clear he wants him gone

Forget the captaincy he’s watched Luke Shaw start ahead of him at CB and is like 4th choice he should be looking for a new club.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was probably comfortable to stay but I think ETH has made it clear he wants him gone

Forget the captaincy he’s watched Luke Shaw start ahead of him at CB and is like 4th choice he should be looking for a new club.
Should be yes, but will he? Unless he earns as much as he's doing here, I don't see him leaving.

Mas Risky

I'm tempted to give the armband to Rashford (as part of his new contract) and Luke Shaw as vice captains based on the fact that they are two of our club's longest-serving members. I like how Real Madrid and Barcelona operate this way. Less hassle and as a way to appreciate players loyalty.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Correct decision, was a really poor choice as Captain in the first place, should have happened a lot sooner but it has been made much easier by phasing him out.
Who would you have appointed at that time? I think there was general acceptance around the fan base that he was the best option at that point, it made sense tbf.

kaku06

Which Utd captain has been stripped of captaincy before, at least in the social media age? I guess Neville stepped down from being the team captain a few months before he retired, but even then I think he stayed club captain until he retired. Young, Valencia, Carrick, Rooney, Vidic and Keane all stayed captain until they left. Same going back through Cantona, Bruce and Robson. So of course none of them made a statement about losing captaincy.
Fair enough if that’s true. Explains why it felt abit strange to me.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I feel sorry for him. I hope if he does get a move or if he eventually finds his way back into the team here that he can prove himself because the level of abuse is so unwarranted.
Same, its so unnecessary and no wonder the mental health issues within football players are becoming more and more common.

LordSpud

I hope it's Bruno but I actually think he'll make Martinez captain

Castia

Should be yes, but will he? Unless he earns as much as he's doing here, I don't see him leaving.
I think England is a massive deal for Harry (rightly so) but even he must know there’s no chance he goes to next summers Euro’s if he’s 4th choice CB here. In fact I’m sure Southgate will spell that out for him before this summer window closes, even Southgate can’t justify 2 years as a backup at United and then take him to the Euro’s

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Who would you have appointed at that time? I think there was general acceptance around the fan base that he was the best option at that point, it made sense tbf.
Especially considering how bad DdG - who a lot of people saw as an alternative - has been even without the added pressure of being captain. And he (DdG) has left now anyway.

SAFMUTD

It was already done since last season but now it's official. It'll be Bruno permanently, must be hard for Maguire the abuse he gets. He's not up to the level but this has become humiliating for him hopefully he makes up his mind and leaves to build up his career somewhere else.