g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Maguire | NOT McGuire or MacGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon_Tipper1992

Love Harry Maguire, been brilliant for Leicester and shown his quality for England, he won every aerial duel he faced.

Him and Bailly could be a great partnership, potential to be the best two centre backs we have had since Rio and Vidic.

Lindelof showed talent towards the end of last season, need to give him time could be great back up. Also I would keep Rojo. Smalling and Jones... meh, I believe their time is up at United now, don't mind them being back up but they get too much game time for me.

EyeInTheSky

What does he do that we dont already have?
The ability to run, tackle, head the ball without breaking into a million tiny pieces like a fragile crystal glass every time

I am not even joking. The fact that we can never get a decent CB pairing because the faces always change due to Jones injuries disrupts the whole team not just the back line.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is anyone else getting slightly annoyed/confused as they migrate through the threads in the Transfer Forum and see many conversations on potential CBs?

Keeps weirding me out to sometimes see ’Maguire’ and sometimes ‘Toby’! Can’t help thinking of Toby fecking Maguire and have to keep remembering Toby is Alderweireld in this occasion!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Love Harry Maguire, been brilliant for Leicester and shown his quality for England, he won every aerial duel he faced.

Him and Bailly could be a great partnership, potential to be the best two centre backs we have had since Rio and Vidic.

Lindelof showed talent towards the end of last season, need to give him time could be great back up. Also I would keep Rojo. Smalling and Jones... meh, I believe their time is up at United now, don't mind them being back up but they get too much game time for me.
Was he not beaten for that late colombia goal just for one major example?

ROFLUTION

The ability to run, tackle, head the ball without breaking into a million tiny pieces like a fragile crystal glass every time

I am not even joking. The fact that we can never get a decent CB pairing because the faces always change due to Jones injuries disrupts the whole team not just the back line.
If thats the only argument and we just need a stable week in, week out player Id rather take the chance om Fosu Mensah or Tuanzebe.. I do think Maguire is a little bit better on the ball than Jones and Smalling though.. but no Alderweireld..

EyeInTheSky

If thats the only argument and we just need a stable week in, week out player Id rather take the chance om Fosu Mensah or Tuanzebe.. I do think Maguire is a little bit better on the ball than Jones and Smalling though.. but no Alderweireld..
I would probably put them in this order in terms of level (considering Injury records and overall contribution).

Pure defending:

Maguire
Alderweireld
Smalling
Jones

Heading/Ariel threat
Maguire
Smalling
Alderweirld
Jones

Injury record/liability

Maguire
Smalling
Alderweireld
Known universe
Jones

Passing and initiating attacks
Alderwield
Maguire
Jones
Smalling

Pace:(not too sure about this one)
Jones(when fit)-Smalling tied
Maguire-Alderwield

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
They're still both better than Smalling an Jones.
lol, how can you say that Lindelof is better than Smalling (or even Jones) based on how he's performed for us so far? Hell, Mourinho hasn't even trusted Lindelof to play next to anyone else other than Smalling as he's the only one capable of babysitting him and all his weaknesses. The only thing that Lindelof has shown better so far is his passing ability, and even that hasn't been anywhere near as good as we were expecting based on his reputation. Smalling beats him in literally every other single aspect of being a central defender.

Who knows, maybe he'll come good. But to say that he's currently better is absolutely ridiculous.

Even Bailly hasn't been better than Smalling. He's shown the potential to be great here and there, but so far he's also been far less consistent and more prone to mistakes than Smalling and probably even Jones.

lol, how can you say that Lindelof is better than Smalling (or even Jones) based on how he's performed for us so far? Hell, Mourinho hasn't even trusted Lindelof to play next to anyone else other than Smalling as he's the only one capable of babysitting him and all his weaknesses. The only thing that Lindelof has shown better so far is his passing ability, and even that hasn't been anywhere near as good as we were expecting based on his reputation. Smalling beats him in literally every other single aspect of being a central defender.

Who knows, maybe he'll come good. But to say that he's currently better is absolutely ridiculous.

Even Bailly hasn't been better than Smalling. He's shown the potential to be great here and there, but so far he's also been far less consistent and more prone to mistakes than Smalling and probably even Jones.
Completely agree. Bailly looked like a quality player in his first season, and it looked like we have a good talent on our hands - but the reality is he’s played in less than half our games. He could be our best defender, but he’s certainly not at the moment, that’s Smalling, who has clearly been first choice.

To rate anyone else higher, is a leap of faith based on if’s, butts, maybe’s.

ROFLUTION

I would probably put them in this order in terms of level (considering Injury records and overall contribution).

Pure defending:

Maguire
Alderweireld
Smalling
Jones

Heading/Ariel threat
Maguire
Smalling
Alderweirld
Jones

Injury record/liability

Maguire
Smalling
Alderweireld
Known universe
Jones

Alderwield
Maguire
Jones
Smalling

Pace:(not too sure about this one)
Jones(when fit)-Smalling tied
Maguire-Alderwield
On my list Alderweireld would top the pace-part as he's good to catch up with an accelerating player, and I'd also put him top in pure defending. Smalling I think is a better defender too, now that he's got stable games and shows what he's capable of.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pure defending:

Smalling = Alderweireld
Maguire = Jones

Heading/Ariel threat
Maguire = Smalling
Jones
Alderweirld

Injury record/liability

Maguire
Smalling
Alderweireld
Jones

Alderwield
Maguire
Jones
Smalling

Pace
Smalling
Alderweireld = Jones
Maguire

IMO at least. Some people getting a bit ahead of themselves because of a good world cup. He's a good player, but the only part I see him being an improvement is his on the ball play, and for that there are much better players anyway, and his cost would be ridiculous.

I am wondering if he plans to get Maguire now and then Alderweireld for his release clause in a year.

Nice way to circumvent Levy.

Last edited:

EyeInTheSky

Pure defending:

Smalling = Alderweireld
Maguire = Jones

Heading/Ariel threat
Maguire = Smalling
Jones
Alderweirld

Injury record/liability

Maguire
Smalling
Alderweireld
Jones

Alderwield
Maguire
Jones
Smalling

Pace
Smalling
Alderweireld = Jones
Maguire

IMO at least. Some people getting a bit ahead of themselves because of a good world cup. He's a good player, but the only part I see him being an improvement is his on the ball play, and for that there are much better players anyway, and his cost would be ridiculous.
Problem is who is willing to sell.

Classical Mechanic

Who are these defenders that offer than Maguire does in stepping out, passing between the lines, scoring and assisting (usually through set pieces in the opposition box)?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Who are these defenders that offer than Maguire does in stepping out, passing between the lines, scoring and assisting (usually through set pieces in the opposition box)?
Not to mention available, willing to join United and comes with a price tag that does not exceed Maguires.

Personally, I can think of no one.

Mylock

Lindelof has only been here one season, so people still have room to hope he's capable of dramatic improvement.

Whereas Smalling and Jones have been here long enough that we know exactly what they bring, with no room available for even false hope of improvement.

Lindelof is the dreamer's choice.
You are correct, the reason i said to get rid of smalling and jones is because they have here years and still make
the same mistakes. As for keeping lindelof he should be given another chance to see if he cuts it.

crossy1686

career ending
Does anyone remember if we were interested in him before the world cup?
Nope! But this reminds me of when we signed Rio. Having a good World Cup can change your transfer strategy. I don't think anyone can say he can't play at the top level, which is obviously what we want. You also can't see he didn't look comfortable doing so.

Personally, I think I'd only seen him play once before the World Cup, forgot he even existed until the team was announced...

Classical Mechanic

Nope! But this reminds me of when we signed Rio. Having a good World Cup can change your transfer strategy. I don't think anyone can say he can't play at the top level, which is obviously what we want. You also can't see he didn't look comfortable doing so.

Personally, I think I'd only seen him play once before the World Cup, forgot he even existed until the team was announced...
When we played Hull three times on the bounce just after Marco Silva took over he was brilliant as they ran us close. He also scored Leicester’s equaliser against us this season for 2-2. That was painful as we really needed to keep the pace on City.

Danish Wizard

For 65 mio pounds, it would be crazy and a desperate move.
We bought Lindelöf last season, show some faith in him. And the season before we bought Bailly, show some faith in him as well.
Besides that, we have two very talented young boys in Fosu-Mensah who did excellent with Palace, and Tuanzebe who is regarded as one of the best defensive prospects in the country. Play them, they must get a proper chance to show their talent & quality..

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
On my list Alderweireld would top the pace-part as he's good to catch up with an accelerating player, and I'd also put him top in pure defending. Smalling I think is a better defender too, now that he's got stable games and shows what he's capable of.
Smalling is comfortably the quickest of the bunch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is a good player when it comes to bringing the ball out of defense, decent passing but his overall defending is average. Hopefully we don't spend big money on him.

Judas

Open to offers
Who regards Axel as one of the best defensive prospects except people on RedCafe? TFM did alright at Palace, but as you'd expect from a kid it was up and down.

Neither are a good enough reason to not buy Slabhead.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Smalling is easily quicker than Alderweireld.

kevin hunt

Lets not beat around the bush here, a lot of the hate comes from him being a big part of the England squad this summer.

Not nearly as much as the longing to bring him in is based on him been English . If he was good enough no one would care if he was from Mars or England , hes not , hes decent nothing more and would get found out very quickly at the top level in Europe . The Glaziers remind me of someone are shopping in Tesco but using a Harrods bag

Classical Mechanic

Not nearly as much as the longing to bring him in is based on him been English . If he was good enough no one would care if he was from Mars or England , hes not , hes decent nothing more and would get found out very quickly at the top level in Europe . The Glaziers remind me of someone are shopping in Tesco but using a Harrods bag
You have zero credibility. You make little effort to hide your bigotry.

You have made 10 posts, the majority dripping with bitterness about England.

Same people as think Lingard is the "new Inesta" :rolleyes:
These people don't exist. This post had to be moderated.

We certainly would not be making plans to greet the team with"spitfires" when we won it , no wonder the world mocks you lot
There were no such plans, just a private heritage airplane company trying to get some exposure.

It really is rich to see English fans talking about other countries genocides, what do you think you were up to for centuries ?
This was completely irrelevant to the conversation and had to be moderated.

They haven't though and the sooner people realise that the better . They are a decent bunch of dedicated players but are glaringly short of world class talent especially in the middle of the park and in the back 4 . Now if you had a Varane and a Modric you would be starting to get places , while you have a Maguire and a Henderson you are over achieving .
Can you imagine the reaction here to the sale of Martial if he was English , remember the outcry at the sale of the great Daniel Welbeck :rolleyes:. Martial has the potential to be a superstar for the next 10 years while Mourinio will be gone by seasons end if not before
Maguire isnt much better than Smalling or Jones and none of the 3 are good enough for top level of football in Europe. Our sights should be much much higher , but our sights are probably that of the Glaziers and are happy with 4th place and get out of the group in champions league .

$inner_88

He's worth the risk if we can get him for the right price. I could see him raising his game at United especially if we move to a back three.

MadMike

You have zero credibility. You make little effort to hide your bigotry.

You have made 10 posts, the majority dripping with bitterness about England.

These people don't exist. This post had to be moderated.

There were no such plans, just a private heritage airplane company trying to get some exposure.

This was completely irrelevant to the conversation and had to be moderated.
:lol:

Good work sir @Classical Mechanic

jmaggio

Thanks for making my point for me, paddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.