Television Making a Murderer (Netflix Documentary) - Spoilers from Page 2

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
She ate 2 boxes of rat poison and survived and people believe this? :lol:
She popped them like tic tacs, she had 2 boxes sure. But she ate them over 2 months. And she has an incredible digestive system.

fergieisold

I'm ashamed that I clicked on this link through Facebook but...

http://distractify.com/entertainment/2016/01/12/meg-avery-evidence?bodylink

Also the same site has an 'article' today on Jodi's views on Avery.

http://distractify.com/news/2016/01/14/mariam-steven-averys-ex-speaks?dfyvlm

I included a pinch of salt for all of you as well.
Well it's funny how in the documentary the police seemed to be getting involved in an attempt to stop her getting contact with Avery so they could reduce any people he had on his side. Remember she was done for a being drunk and one of the punishments was not to contact Avery? How is that anything to do with being drunk? This time it will be the same, the state has got to her and probably coerced into coming out like this. It's a PR battle at the moment between the state and Avery.

Smores

Really wish I hadn't stumbled into that subreddit, could get lost in the amount of information for weeks

Smores

The thing that annoys me is people coming up with far fetched theories any what happened, when in reality the most probable explanation is that Avery did kill her and the police really wanted to nail him with the conviction. They then fecked up when planting evidence, thinking they were invincible.

I see this more as a documentary on the failings of the justice system. If I had to put money on whether or not he is innocent I'd put it on guilty, but having said that there is no way he should be in jail for murder.
If I was on the jury I'd have probably found him guilty on your logic above.

I do appreciate though that would have been based on the lack of any information in court or the media on any other suspects. Someone killed her and it's incredibly difficult not to find the only suspect guilty imo irrespective of how shite all the evidence is. I reckon most will side with putting an innocent man in jail rather than releasing a Murderer, especially when it's your own community and the character in question is of his family background.

Saying that I don't think they did it.

fergieisold

I do appreciate though that would have been based on the lack of any information in court or the media on any other suspects. Someone killed her and it's incredibly difficult not to find the only suspect guilty imo irrespective of how shite all the evidence is. I reckon most will side with putting an innocent man in jail rather than releasing a Murderer, especially when it's your own community and the character in question is of his family background.

And this is the problem with the justice system. Jurors who decide guilty based on a whim.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
During his opening in statement in court when Kratz referred to Halbach as "this little girl....sorry.. this young woman" I just laughed and thought, yeah I see what you did there you sly cnut. It was so transparent.

Conversely when referring to Brendan Dassey he called him a young man, rather than a young boy.

I'm glad he's now getting some sort of comeuppance though it probably isn't anywhere near what he deserves.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Not suspicious that the defence was never allowed to bring up any other possible suspects?

The best way to defend Avery is to find the killer, but the defence was never allowed that opportunity in court.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
During his opening in statement in court when Kratz referred to Halbach as "this little girl....sorry.. this young woman" I just laughed and thought, yeah I see what you did there you sly cnut. It was so transparent.

Conversely when referring to Brendan Dassey he called him a young man, rather than a young boy.

I'm glad he's now getting some sort of comeuppance though it probably isn't anywhere near what he deserves.
:lol: Pathetic wasn't it.

Which begs the question why the Judge wouldn't allow the defence to propose any alternative suspects.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
:lol: Pathetic wasn't it.

:lol: It was so rehearsed and then badly acted out, typical scummy lawyer tactic. "Oops, I misspoke and inadvertently drove home the image of the victim as a little girl...maybe even YOUR little girl...who was brutally murdered and burned in a fire. Sorry!"

Smores

And this is the problem with the justice system. Jurors who decide guilty based on a whim.
I think a whim is unfair as it sounded like they were conflicted. The question of if not Steve Avery then who must have been in their heads but they weren't ever provided with any information to answer that so it left them in a difficult position that leaned towards Avery.

I find it utterly ridiculous and sad that such a situation can happen to be honest. You'd hope the public outcry will at least lend itself to a review of procedure because even those who think him guilty seem to agree that the system and process appeared flawed.

fergieisold

I think a whim is unfair as it sounded like they were conflicted. The question of if not Steve Avery then who must have been in their heads but they weren't ever provided with any information to answer that so it left them in a difficult position that leaned towards Avery.

I find it utterly ridiculous and sad that such a situation can happen to be honest. You'd hope the public outcry will at least lend itself to a review of procedure because even those who think him guilty seem to agree that the system and process appeared flawed.
The problem was the case should never have gone to court, I honestly don't think it would have in the U.K. In particular the Brendan Dassey case would have been thrown out very quickly. Based on the evidence presented in court the jury should have returned a not guilty verdict because there was reasonable doubt about what the hell had been going on.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Which is a huge flaw. I'm sure some jurors saw it as a 'if it wasn't Avery, then who did it, and if I don't have any alternatives, then he should be found guilty'. But that wasn't the question put to them, though that's the way the prosecution handled it. The question was: was Steve Avery guilty of the crime beyond reasonable doubt? On the basis of what was shown to them, no, he wasn't (and even taking into account the evidence left out in the documentary, you come to the same conclusion). All the evidence that incriminates him is at the very least dodgy, and in some cases just complete shit. And you shouldn't be finding someone guilty of a capital crime for the reason that there's no better suspect around.

As I said before and as others said, I'm not sure of Steve Avery's innocence, but I'm quite sure that on the basis of the evidence they did have, I can't say for sure that he's guilty.

Smores

Which is a huge flaw. I'm sure some jurors saw it as a 'if it wasn't Avery, then who did it, and if I don't have any alternatives, then he should be found guilty'. But that wasn't the question put to them, though that's the way the prosecution handled it. The question was: was Steve Avery guilty of the crime beyond reasonable doubt? On the basis of what was shown to them, no, he wasn't (and even taking into account the evidence left out in the documentary, you come to the same conclusion). All the evidence that incriminates him is at the very least dodgy, and in some cases just complete shit. And you shouldn't be finding someone guilty of a capital crime for the reason that there's no better suspect around.

As I said before and as others said, I'm not sure of Steve Avery's innocence, but I'm quite sure that on the basis of the evidence they did have, I can't say for sure that he's guilty.
I agree but I just don't think the way jury's are supposed to arrive at a decision is in line with human nature here, they'll nearly always go balance of probability. I also have no doubt that the blood led them down the line of thinking it was a choice between his guilt or believing a police set-up? Again people will simply ask which is more likely.

When the scenario of reasonable doubt has to involve a situation where the cops planted evidence then you're in trouble.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I agree but I just don't think the way jury's are supposed to arrive at a decision is in line with human nature here, they'll nearly always go balance of probability. I also have no doubt that the blood led them down the line of thinking it was a choice between his guilt or believing a police set-up? Again people will simply ask which is more likely.

When the scenario of reasonable doubt has to involve a situation where the cops planted evidence then you're in trouble.
Yeah, Avery's lawyers do insist on that, definitely.

Concerning your first point and human nature, I agree with you and I think this is where the jury system is flawed and should be used with huge care. In France it's used for very little cases, and when it is used, the jurors are given a lot of indications and reminders on their role and on interpretation of certain elements by the magistrates.

In the case shown on Making a Murderer, the judge seems pretty awful and I don't think he really endorses that role of guidance for the jurors (though maybe they're not meant to have that role in the US).

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The problem was the case should never have gone to court, I honestly don't think it would have in the U.K. In particular the Brendan Dassey case would have been thrown out very quickly. Based on the evidence presented in court the jury should have returned a not guilty verdict because there was reasonable doubt about what the hell had been going on.
Well there was no evidence at all was there. The conviction was based entirely on his 'confession' which to my mind is utterly abhorrent.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

Then that's a major failure of the American justice system. The baseline of the justice system should always be that it's better to let ten guilty men go free than one innocent man go to jail. Balance of probability is a terrible, terrible way to decide upon a life sentence.

Skizzo

From a recent interview with his lawyers.

The pair also shared more good news for Avery and his sympathizers. Since the series premiered in December, Strang said, a number of scientists from around the world have reached out to point out “there’s a lot more that can be done” to test for evidence.

caid

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I'm ashamed that I clicked on this link through Facebook but...

http://distractify.com/entertainment/2016/01/12/meg-avery-evidence?bodylink

Also the same site has an 'article' today on Jodi's views on Avery.

http://distractify.com/news/2016/01/14/mariam-steven-averys-ex-speaks?dfyvlm

I included a pinch of salt for all of you as well.
Some of this is answered on here - https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMur...defense_information_that_was_left_out_of_mam/

- Dean Strang also has said that the sweat assertion is entirely fabricated by Kratz and it has not been proven by any other concrete finding.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
The thing that annoys me is people coming up with far fetched theories any what happened, when in reality the most probable explanation is that Avery did kill her and the police really wanted to nail him with the conviction. They then fecked up when planting evidence, thinking they were invincible.

I see this more as a documentary on the failings of the justice system. If I had to put money on whether or not he is innocent I'd put it on guilty, but having said that there is no way he should be in jail for murder.
I am sure people would have said the same thing about his rape conviction. That he probably did not get a fair trial but he is guilty nonetheless. There is no way you can pronounce him guilt if you accept that the key and the blood was planted.

Skizzo

There were portions of Dassey's confession that weren't aired, also without a defense lawyer present, that good ol Nancy Grace has decided to share with the Hollywood Reporter

BRENDAN DASSEY INTERROGATION

MAY 13, 2006 - CALUMET CO. SHERIFF'S OFFICE

DASSEY: He went to go pick up some stuff around the yard then after that we, he asked me to come in the house cuz he wanted to show me somethin'. And he showed me that she was laying on the bed, her hands were roped up to the bed and that her legs were cuffed. And then he told me to have sex with her and so I did because I thought I was not gonna get away from 'em cuz he was too strong, so I did what he said and then after that, he untied her and uncuffed her and then he brought her outside and before he went outside, he told me to grab her clothes and her shoes. So we went into the garage and before she went out, when before he took her outside, he had tied up her hands and feet and then was in the garage and he stabbed her and then he told me to. And, after that he wanted to make sure she was dead or somethin' so he shot her five times and while he was doing that I wasn't looking because I can't watch that stuff. So I was standing by the big door in the garage and then after that, he took her outside and we put her on the fire and we used her clothes to clean up the, some of the blood. And, when we put her in the fire, and her clothes, we were standing right by the garage, to wait for it to get down so we threw some of that stuff on it after it went down.

"He was gonna take her out to the garage."

POLICE: Come on, Brendan. What's he telling her at this time? We know there's some talking going on, OK. We, we know that.

BRENDAN: That he said that he was gonna take her out to the garage and stab her and shoot her.

POLICE: He actually says that to her or does he say that to you or who's he saying that to?

BRENDAN: To both of us.

POLICE: And what is she saying when he tells her that?

BRENDAN: To not do that.

POLICE: Does he have a weapon at this time when he's untying her and tying her back up?

BRENDAN: Well, when he was done roping her her roped her, he grabbed the gun and then he grabbed her.

"Where does he stab her?"

POLICE: OK. Let's start with when you bring her out to the garage. Where do you put her?

DASSEY: On the floor.

POLICE: And continue, tell us what happens.

DASSEY: And then he stabs her and then he tells me to and then he puts her into the jeep and then he said he would rather burn her so then he put her back on the floor and then he shot her five times.

POLICE: Where does he stab her?

DASSEY: In the chest.

POLICE: Show me where.

DASSEY: Like right here.

POLICE: Where do you stab her?

DASSEY: In the stomach.

POLICE: What does she say when you stab her?

DASSEY: To stop what I was doin'.

POLICE: What's that? Is she screaming?

DASSEY: Yeah.

POLICE: Is she screaming and saying stop what you're doing? Is she swearing at you? Is she struggling or what? Tell us how that happened.

DASSEY: Just that she was crying a lot.

POLICE: Are you holding her down?

DASSEY: No.

POLICE: Who is?

DASSEY: Steven is.

"Five shots"

POLICE: And I'm not gonna sit here Brendan and allow you to lie to me anymore. I don't need you to. I've got enough evidence without you. If you wanna help yourself, you have that opportunity right now to do that. Is that what you wanna do? Do you wanna help yourself? Then why are you lying? Look at me Brendan. Brendan? Brendan. Brendan.

DASSEY: What?

POLICE: Look at me once.

DASSEY: I don't want to.

POLICE: Why? Do you wanna continue this and talk with us and be honest with us so we can get through this, get this off your chest?

DASSEY: The last time I seen the gun was on th-the rack.

POLICE: OK. Did you shoot her?

POLICE: How many times did Steve shoot her?

POLICE: To the best of your memory.

DASSEY: Well I heard five shots.

"Were you involved?"

POLICE: Were you involved with the murder of Teresa Halbach, yes or no?

DASSEY: Yes.

POLICE: Who else was involved with it?

DASSEY: Steven.

POLICE: Steven who?

DASSEY: Avery.

POLICE: OK, anybody else?

"Planned this"

POLICE: Why did you go over there? You had this stuff planned out already, didn't you? You and Steve had this planned? Yeah? Yes or no?

POLICE: OK and when did you plan it?

DASSEY: For a few days.

POLICE: OK. And what did you have planned? Tell me what you had planned. Come on. Brendan did you have this planned? Yes or no?

BRENDAN: Yes.

POLICE: Who did you plan it with?

DASSEY: Steven.

POLICE: When?

DASSEY: A few days before it happened.

POLICE: OK, and what did you have planned to do? (pause) The details are easy, come on, you've already given me that you were involved in it, so just go on with the details, paint the picture for me. Obviously I know already, I know a bunch of this already. I keep proving that to you. The details are easy, just tell me what you guys planned and what you did, no sweat.

DASSEY: That I had sex with her.

"Why did he pick Teresa?"

POLICE: Why did he pick Teresa?

DASSEY: Cuz she was comin' over that day.

POLICE: Did he tell you she was coming over? Did he tell you she was coming over?

POLICE: And what did he say he was going to do?

DASSEY: That he was gonna to kill her.

POLICE: Did he say why?

POLICE: Did he tell you to come over then? To help him or what did he tell you? What did he tell you Brendan?

DASSEY: That he wanted me to help 'em.

POLICE: And did you agree to do that?

"What Steven was gonna do"

POLICE: Did he tell you about Teresa, that he had met her before?

DASSEY: Yeah. POLICE: OK. Tell me about that. What did he say about her?

DASSEY: That she looked good and she was pretty nice.

POLICE: OK. Did he tell ya where she worked?

POLICE: Did he tell ya how he was gonna get her in the house?

POLICE: How did he, do you know?

POLICE: OK. So a couple days prior you said there this lady he knows or tell me how he says that. I don't wanna put words in your mouth, tell me how he says it to you.

DASSEY: That he had a girl coming over to take a picture of a van.

POLICE: OK. What else?

DASSEY: And then that he would do that to her.

POLICE: No, wha-tell me exactly what he said.

DASSEY: That he would kill her.

POLICE: Did he laugh about it or what? Why did, why did he say he was gonna kill her?

DASSEY: 'Cause he was pissed off that Jodi was in jail again.

Needless to say, she was so sure of his guilt even when he was on her show in 2005. On top of that, she thinks Dassey is just as bad as Avery, and wasn't coerced at all.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...+Brendan+Dassey+Confession+Viewers+Didn't+See

Last edited:

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Ended up watching this for about 6 hours straight, and lost a lot of faith in humanity in that time. There is so much to reflect on and discuss but at this stage all I can express is how much of a fat greasy piece of scum that Kratz guy is. His voice alone was infuriating.

Stevens two defence lawyers were an impressive breath of fresh air throughout, I was really banking on them saving the day at some point with some new evidence on the blood preservation. Brendan's story was just heart breaking, definitely lost most of my faith in humanity where he was involved, poor kid.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There were portions of Dassey's confession that weren't aired, also without a defense lawyer present, that good ol Nancy Grace has decided to share with the Hollywood Reporter

Needless to say, she was so sure of his guilt even when he was on her show in 2005. On top of that, she thinks Dassey is just as bad as Avery, and wasn't coerced at all.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/making-a-murderer-nancy-grace-856328?utm_source=Yahoo&utm_campaign=Syndication&utm_medium='Making+a+Murderer':+The+Brendan+Dassey+Confession+Viewers+Didn't+See
Nancy Grace just knows her viewers, she knows what opinion they'll form and she'll do her damndest to please them. She's in the "all publicity is good publicity" a lá Donald Trump and others and as a former sociopath prosecutor herself she puts herself in Kratz' shoes and sees him winning which is what she would do, be it the right thing to do morally or not.

Red_Aaron

finished it last night, just from an entertainment perspective i thought it ran out of steam a little towards the end, it became obvious SA was going down the only question was whether BD did too. i guess its a shame it wasn't fictional they could've sexed it up a little!

like everyone else says based on the docu there's clearly reasonable doubt in SAs case and at best total incompetence in BDs case (at worst genuine criminality) I'm amazed both trials even went ahead given the shocking press conference at the start and the clearly coerced confession midway through. i really don't see how they could possibly uphold either defendants presumption of innocence, ideally the whole case should've been picked up and tried on the other side of the country. I ended up doubting just about everyone's motivation including both judges. It really did seem like the state flexing their muscles in wake of SAs damages suit.

How BD wasn't at least granted a retrial is what's stuck with me the most, especially considering the influence of the additional lawyers at the end. That no court has deemed the circumstances around his confession along with the gross misconduct of his first lawyer AND the contradiction on SAs eventual charges to be reason enough is absolutely baffling and only supports the notion that this was a statewide conspiracy to convict no matter what. He went to jail at 17 and will be 58 when he gets out, that's his best years totally gone, what kind of life will he have had when he eventually passes away, its very sad (if he's innocent of course)

Its a shame no other theory was put forward by the docu. Obviously they have to be very careful about making accusations but as a viewer I became totally conscious of the bias towards the later stages and as such i'm left in limbo regarding SAs case, clearly a lot of very circumspect things happened around the evidence but his personal side of the story felt untold. The BD case was the more interesting one in the second half

Amir

finished it last night, just from an entertainment perspective i thought it ran out of steam a little towards the end, it became obvious SA was going down the only question was whether BD did too. i guess its a shame it wasn't fictional they could've sexed it up a little!
I think the editing was too loose, though it might have been done on purpose. The episodes were just too long and they really should have made things tighter and shorter. I saw episode 9 today and I have to admit I was quite bored. It was 66 minutes and could have, should have, been done in 40.

LonelyFire

I was left thinking it's entirely plausible that he's guilty but shouldn't have been convicted. I can't see how anyone could say there was no reasonable doubt.

Amir

I was left thinking it's entirely plausible that he's guilty but shouldn't have been convicted. I can't see how anyone could say there was no reasonable doubt.
True. I can see how a jury would think otherwise, though. While we were given maybe three hours of the trial, being fed mostly with stuff that dealt with creating that reasonable doubt, some of that might have been lost on them while they had to watch and listen for days. Add the prejudice caused by the publicity and there you go....

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Dead Certainty
How “Making a Murderer” goes wrong.
BY KATHRYN SCHULZ

A private investigative project, bound by no rules of procedure, is answerable only to ratings and the ethics of its makers.CREDITILLUSTRATION BY SIMON PRADES

Argosy began in 1882 as a magazine for children and ceased publication ninety-six years later as soft-core porn for men, but for ten years in between it was the home of a true-crime column by Erle Stanley Gardner, the man who gave the world Perry Mason. In eighty-two novels, six films, and nearly three hundred television episodes, Mason, a criminal-defense lawyer, took on seemingly guilty clients and proved their innocence. In the magazine, Gardner, who had practiced law before turning to writing, attempted to do something similar—except that there his “clients” were real people, already convicted and behind bars. All of them met the same criteria: they were impoverished, they insisted that they were blameless, they were serving life sentences for serious crimes, and they had exhausted their legal options. Gardner called his column “The Court of Last Resort.”

To help investigate his cases, Gardner assembled a committee of crime experts, including a private detective, a handwriting analyst, a former prison warden, and a homicide specialist with degrees in both medicine and law. They examined dozens of cases between September of 1948 and October of 1958, ranging from an African-American sentenced to die for killing a Virginia police officer after a car chase—even though he didn’t know how to drive—to a nine-fingered convict serving time for the strangling death of a victim whose neck bore ten finger marks.

The man who didn’t know how to drive was exonerated, at least partly thanks to coverage in “The Court of Last Resort,” as were many others. Meanwhile, the never terribly successful Argosy also got a reprieve. “No one in the publishing field had ever considered the remote possibility that the general reading public could ever be so interested in justice,” Gardner wrote in 1951. “Argosy’s circulation began to skyrocket.” Six years later, the column was picked up by NBC and turned into a twenty-six-episode TV series.

Although it subsequently faded from memory, “The Court of Last Resort” stands as the progenitor of one of today’s most popular true-crime subgenres, in which reporters, dissatisfied with the outcome of a criminal case, conduct their own extrajudicial investigations. Until recently, the standout representatives of this form were “The Thin Blue Line,” a 1988 Errol Morris documentary about Randall Dale Adams, who was sentenced to death for the 1976 murder of a police officer; “Paradise Lost,” a series of documentaries by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky about three teen-agers found guilty of murdering three second-grade boys in West Memphis in 1993; and “The Staircase,” a television miniseries by Jean-Xavier de Lestrade about the novelist Michael Peterson, found guilty of murdering his wife in 2001. Peterson has been granted a new trial. Randall Dale Adams was exonerated a year after “The Thin Blue Line” was released. Shortly before the final “Paradise Lost” documentary was completed, in 2011, all three of its subjects were freed from prison on the basis of DNA evidence.

In the past fifteen months, this canon has grown considerably in both content and prestige. First came “Serial,” co-created by Sarah Koenig and Julie Snyder, which revisited the case of Adnan Syed, convicted for the 1999 murder of his high-school classmate and former girlfriend, eighteen-year-old Hae Min Lee. That was followed by Andrew Jarecki’s “The Jinx,” a six-part HBO documentary that, uncharacteristically for the genre, sought to implicate rather than exonerate its subject, Robert Durst. A New York real-estate heir, Durst was acquitted in one murder case, is currently awaiting trial in another, and has long been suspected in the 1982 disappearance of his wife, Kathleen Durst.

The latest addition to this canon is Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos’s “Making a Murderer,” a ten-episode Netflix documentary that examines the 2007 conviction of a Wisconsin man named Steven Avery. Like the prisoners featured in “The Court of Last Resort,” Avery is a poor man serving time for a violent crime that he insists he didn’t commit. The questions his story raises, however, are not just about his own guilt and innocence. Nearly seventy years have passed since Erle Stanley Gardner first tried a criminal case before the jury of the general public. Yet we still have not thought seriously about what it means when a private investigative project—bound by no rules of procedure, answerable to nothing but ratings, shaped only by the ethics and aptitude of its makers—comes to serve as our court of last resort.
Continued in the link....

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/01/25/dead-certainty?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm 3/4 of the way through the first episode and even though it's a crazy situation I'm not really sure why this doc has taken off so much (seen it all over Facebook recently)?

It's an interesting and scary case, but it's presented like just another crime documentary (although the effort that must've gone into making it is impressive).

Keenst

Cheers for that. A good, interesting read. I don't think anyone in the show ever says something along the lines of "well, he could have done it, but this trial was simply unfair". It's merely presented as him being an innocent man, framed for something he didn't do. They could have certainly gone with a balanced theme criticising the way in which the justice system operated but instead they went with a kind of "Free Steven Avery!" angle.

Personally though, after watching it, my feeling was that yeah, he could be guilty, but this was a worrying trial because of all the obvious conflicts of interest etc. and they did at least deserve a new trial. Despite it's bias in favour of Avery it did still do a good job of showing us just how many problems there are within the current justice system. I think most intelligent people would agree that, of course, Avery could have done it. There's not much to suggest he didn't actually; rather, the evidence suggesting he did seems to be far too tainted to be considered fair.

The problem is that a lot of unintelligent people watch TV shows. Therefore the makers really do have a responsibility to show us the really bad side of Avery during the show too. Throughout the show he was presented as this kind of rogue character - a bit uneducated, sure, and he'd had his trouble like most other people but this was a guy who just wanted to live his life in peace it seemed. It was really hard to understand just why people seemed to think he was such a bad guy. After reading into a bit more afterwards you do get the impression that this was a guy with a much darker side to him than what was presented to the audience.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I'm 3/4 of the way through the first episode and even though it's a crazy situation I'm not really sure why this doc has taken off so much
Because.........keep watching.

I've noticed this becoming a new trend on the caf recently - the pre-emptive review. "I'm 13 seconds into the opening credits and this is clearly the most overrated thing I've seen all year. Is it worth carrying on?"

Keenst

I'm 3/4 of the way through the first episode and even though it's a crazy situation I'm not really sure why this doc has taken off so much (seen it all over Facebook recently)?

It's an interesting and scary case, but it's presented like just another crime documentary (although the effort that must've gone into making it is impressive).
Seriously, you're not even finished the first episode and you've already made your mind up?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Because.........keep watching.

I've noticed this becoming a new trend on the caf recently - the pre-emptive review. "I'm 13 seconds into the opening credits and this is clearly the most overrated thing I've seen all year. Is it worth carrying on?"
I was more questioning what's got people so into it, as I've never seen a documentary of this nature take off like it has. I would've expected half the people I've seen talking about it to have switched it off at this stage.

I will keep watching though. Got too tired last night hence only watching what I have.

Seriously, you're not even finished the first episode and you've already made your mind up?
Not made my mind up, just commenting on what I've seen so far.

Keenst

I was more questioning what's got people so into it, as I've never seen a documentary of this nature take off like it has. I would've expected half the people I've seen talking about it to have switched it off at this stage.

I will keep watching though. Got too tired last night hence only watching what I have.

Not made my mind up, just commenting on what I've seen so far.
There's a lot more to come other than what's in the first episode that's all I'll say.

Classical Mechanic

I have watched three episodes and am bored. Eight episodes! It is very slow paced for me. I think it is one of those moments where a lot of people a realising for the first time just how corrupt the authorities can be in a Western country for the first time.