Television Making a Murderer (Netflix Documentary) - Spoilers from Page 2

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I have a question that I would love answered. Who was the international music artist on the first jury?

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
I feel bad for Brendan. They took away a kid's life thanks to that sewer rat Kachinsky and that a-hole O'Kelly. Both deserve to be jailed for their actions.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Did anyone else find the video of Teresa Halbach at the very beginning very strange? I can't remember her words exactly but it was her talking about death or something and how she's happy with what she's done with her life.

Seems like a weird topic for a 25 year old woman to be recording.

JackXX

Did anyone else find the video of Teresa Halbach at the very beginning very strange? I can't remember her words exactly but it was her talking about death or something and how she's happy with what she's done with her life.

Seems like a weird topic for a 25 year old woman to be recording.
Yea had forgotten about that it did seem pretty strange.

Sylar

The Brendan situation was heartbreaking. How could you do that to a kid?
I swear it seemed like the lawyers had some sort of agreement which would make them money or something. That Len guy or whatever seemed so sleazy with his stupid smile.

kps88

Worst part of Brendan's situation was when his motion for a retrial was denied. He finally got himself good lawyers who could properly explain all the flaws and the judge still throws it out.

caid

Haven't seen the last episode yet

So many dodgy people,
every 2nd one just looks like a slimy bastard straight off the bat and get worse and worse as they talk.

The assumption of innocence was never there in either case and both had to prove they were innocent.
I was kind of shocked after tearing every piece of evidence to shreds and effectively proving that whatever happened that day it sure as hell WASN'T what the prosecution claimed that they were still found guilty

Steven Avery's parents seemed like good people. Felt very sorry for them.

Maxii

Paad
Will the global outrage at the whole thing mean the courts in America will feel pressurised into giving them a retrial? Or is it just though shit, what's done is done?

JmRssll555

Will the global outrage at the whole thing mean the courts in America will feel pressurised into giving them a retrial? Or is it just though shit, what's done is done?
As we've already seen with the various petitions, the widespread coverage of the cases may create some political pressure for action to be taken. On the other hand, you might argue that granting these two individuals a retrial on the basis that their story has captured the attention of the public is just another example of a flawed justice system. It's a tricky situation, but I'll be surprised if they are simply granted new trials, particularly Steven Avery. If there are to be new trials, it's likely that there will conveniently be some "new evidence" found which creates a solid, legal foundation to reopen the case. I believe the Governor of the State has already said that he won't be granting either man a pardon.

caid

As we've already seen with the various petitions, the widespread coverage of the cases may create some political pressure for action to be taken. On the other hand, you might argue that granting these two individuals a retrial on the basis that their story has captured the attention of the public is just another example of a flawed justice system. It's a tricky situation, but I'll be surprised if they are simply granted new trials, particularly Steven Avery. If there are to be new trials, it's likely that there will conveniently be some "new evidence" found which creates a solid, legal foundation to reopen the case. I believe the Governor of the State has already said that he won't be granting either man a pardon.
I get the feeling the only freak thing about his case is that he got out the first time.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
This is a good point, i don't see them bowing to pressure and just granting a new case as they have to believe that their justice system is correct. Although any new trial will be the most watched court case in history i would have thought, it's bound to get streamed live somewhere.

I agree with you though that only new evidence will grant a re-trial, you have to believe that a good lawyer at this stage would be hiring a private investigator to try and unearth any new information good or bad.

shabz

This is a good point, i don't see them bowing to pressure and just granting a new case as they have to believe that their justice system is correct. Although any new trial will be the most watched court case in history i would have thought, it's bound to get streamed live somewhere.

I agree with you though that only new evidence will grant a re-trial, you have to believe that a good lawyer at this stage would be hiring a private investigator to try and unearth any new information good or bad.
It's usually DNA that exonerates people in re-trial but he's already got plenty of that lol. The only way they can get him off is if they find the actual killer, but from what I've read the person it could've been has been deported due to other charges. Convenient eh?

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It's usually DNA that exonerates people in re-trial but he's already got plenty of that lol. The only way they can get him off is if they find the actual killer, but from what I've read the person it could've been has been deported due to other charges. Convenient eh?
:lol: You're kidding?

I suspected the ex boyfriend straight away while watching the doc and i think i read somewhere that Avery suspected his brothers?

Skizzo

:lol: You're kidding?

I suspected the ex boyfriend straight away while watching the doc and i think i read somewhere that Avery suspected his brothers?
Yeah I posted quotes from an article a few pages back about Avery thinking it might be his brothers, who also have some interesting criminal charges.

The Halbach brother just came off like a total Cnut the whole time. Nothing he said really seems to sit right with me.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'd be very wary of presuming the brother's guilt on the basis that he came across a bit fishy in selective footage from a documentary. Isn't that precisely the kind of behavioural prejudice that led to Avery being arrest for the '85 rape in the first place? Less so in fact, as he'd actually rammed a woman off the road and threatened her with a gun, as opposed to "seemed single minded and a bit 'off' in interviews following his sisters death..."

If there's anything I've even less faith in than the US Justice system, it's the internet justice system. From reddit wrongly identifying an innocent missing person as a terrorist during the Boston bombings, to half a million people petitioning for a Presidential Pardon for Avery last week, despite the fact the President can't pardon state prisoners, it's pretty obvious the well meaning online crusaders are just as liable to be ignorant and reactionary as the police are.

Mockney

Both. Halbach's brother is a big potential killer in the online sluething community. Along with her ex and several relatives of both Brenden and Avery. Pontificating is natural, I know, I just don't know if it's really very helpful.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Halbach's brother, really? He didn't come across great but his stance was fairly understandable given his loss and the general feeling towards Avery. Can't see why anyone would think of him as a suspect.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just finished watching it and whilst I enjoyed it I'm glad it's finished. Every episode was fecking exhausting. Wouldn't say Hallbachs brother had anything to do with it but he did seem to relish being in front of the camera, especially at the trial.

Wittmann45

Halbach's brother, really? He didn't come across great but his stance was fairly understandable given his loss and the general feeling towards Avery. Can't see why anyone would think of him as a suspect.
Yep. Just seems to be a man convinced of Avery's guilt; which, in his circumstances, is completely understandable. He worked with the police in searching for the body and understandably put all his trust in the DA as well. He is fighting just as hard for Avery to be convicted, probably because he wants a sence of closure in all this. Can't blame him for that.

Untied

Brendan's conviction is utterly shocking. Absolutely no physical evidence to corroborate his "confession". As someone else said, how can you do that to a 16 year old boy.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth

Mockney

Yep. Just seems to be a man convinced of Avery's guilt; which, in his circumstances, is completely understandable. He worked with the police in searching for the body and understandably put all his trust in the DA as well. He is fighting just as hard for Avery to be convicted, probably because he wants a sence of closure in all this. Can't blame him for that.
I agree, however...

http://www.bustle.com/articles/1322...-teresas-brother-at-the-center-of-the-mystery

Sylar

Its all theories. But tbh, whenever there is a murder like this, those closest are normally at least investigated. The problem is more with the system on this trial than the people (eg ex and bf). The fact they werent investigated at all (tunnel vision which came of as an exercise to "get their man").

It seemed more like a witch hunt than a true investigation.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
The thing that annoys me is people coming up with far fetched theories any what happened, when in reality the most probable explanation is that Avery did kill her and the police really wanted to nail him with the conviction. They then fecked up when planting evidence, thinking they were invincible.

I see this more as a documentary on the failings of the justice system. If I had to put money on whether or not he is innocent I'd put it on guilty, but having said that there is no way he should be in jail for murder.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The thing that annoys me is people coming up with far fetched theories any what happened, when in reality the most probable explanation is that Avery did kill her and the police really wanted to nail him with the conviction. They then fecked up when planting evidence, thinking they were invincible.

I see this more as a documentary on the failings of the justice system. If I had to put money on whether or not he is innocent I'd put it on guilty, but having said that there is no way he should be in jail for murder.
That's exactly what it is. The documentary makers are lawyers and became fascinated with the case. The more they followed it the more cracks and corruption they saw in the system and so they wanted to expose it.

You don't really know what the most probable explanation is as the police didn't do any policing. Her ex-boyfriend who's she's in contact with wasn't investigated, her roommate who didn't bother let anybody know that she hadn't been seen for 2 days wasn't investigated. Who knows if there were other people in the county or close by similar to that serial rapist guy who wasn't investigated either? Then lastly you've got his cousin and Brendan's dad (stepdad?) who both lied about seeing her and both of them seemed a bit desperate to put the finger on him away from themselves. With them there's no motive but neither is there with Avery.