Mame Biram Diouf | Hanover

Eirik Raude

I've been watching him for a few years now, and his development curve has been very steep. It was just about finding the right level, and it seems he has done so in the Bundesliga.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
He's played as many games for Hannover as he ever did for us. But the experts are always quick to judge!

Good on him, he was always going to struggle displacing Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov and Welbeck, but he's doing well and I hope that continues.

Baxter

He has pace, power and is good in the air. There is no reason why he can't keep scoring and get a move to a bigger club. I hope he keeps his form up and continues to show that he is a good striker.

Shimo

Glad for him. Was in a tough situation here trying to break into the first team. Hopefully people will realize that he wasn't a bad punt for what he cost, we just ended up with 4 top class strikers.

Neutral

BTV
He was always going to be decent - just got the timing wrong at United, with the players we had at our disposal.

Good luck to him.

Denis' cuff

:lol::lol::lol:

don't you love this place eh?

we always knew.....................................and not a twinge of embarassment

IL_DUCE

He has scored 57 goals in 131 games in his career so far. He is recommended by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, and was found worthy of a - temporary - place at Manchester United. It shouldn't surprise anyone that he succeeds in Hannover.

He is still the One- he just wasn't the one for us!

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
No suprise he's scoring goals.

Never really got a chance here, unsuprising with our pool of talent up front.

Not sure he was ever our level to be fair...but great to see the lad scoring.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
His Hannover side have a tough game against Bayern this afternoon, be good to see him grab a goal against them.

Laphroaig

The One scores again, away to Atl Madrid. So far 9 starts and 2 games off the bench, 7 goals and 3 assists. 9+2: 7+3. Terrific stats.

Donut

What are the odds of him becoming an all time great and winning Ballon d'Or now that we sold him?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
What are the odds of him becoming an all time great and winning Ballon d'Or now that we sold him?
Well his career will last another 10 years, he'll peak for about 3 years, he is in the era of Messi and Ronaldo and *only* playing for Hannover.

So probably 10,000 to 1

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
been in the wars tonight, took a nasty 2 footer in the first half and now taken out by his own goalkeeper, who is also ex Manchester United.

Donut

Well his career will last another 10 years, he'll peak for about 3 years, he is in the era of Messi and Ronaldo and *only* playing for Hannover.

So probably 10,000 to 1
It is unlikely, but if anyone can break the Messi/Ronaldo dominance it's going to be Diouf.

prateik

Delighted for Mame...
There clearly was potential.. shame it couldnt be realized at United. With Chico's impact and Welbeck coming through, he never really had a chance.
Good luck 'The One'.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Maybe next time we take a punt on a striker then we actually play him there instead of shunting him out wide, we might find out something about them that way.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Maybe next time we take a punt on a striker then we actually play him there instead of shunting him out wide, we might find out something about them that way.
You mean like with Hernandez?

Sometimes you just have to accept that Fergie watches these players every day and has an idea who will make it and who won't.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think he is playing wide from time to time for Hannover too.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There are plenty of players across Europe who score a lot of goals for average sides but don't have enough quality to make it at a top side, Diouf may be one of them. Ibisevic used to score plenty for Hoffenheim and he wasn't all that, Lewandowski is currently second top scorer in Bundesliga and never in a million years I'd have him here.

The only striker that I don't think we've put enough confidence in was Forlan. He was beginning to find his place in a team and score goals in his last season, I reckon we should have given him one more year and he'd have come good. Well, Rossi too - we let him go too soon. Villarreal must love taking those strikers off our hands.

Kelvin

shame yet everyone said he is not good enough for us, but he has found his level and more game times at hanover.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
You mean like with Hernandez?

Sometimes you just have to accept that Fergie watches these players every day and has an idea who will make it and who won't.
Yes exactly like Hernandez, he worked out alright.

I understand what people are saying about Germany being an average league but he looked good in the reserves up front, clearly not a left winger.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Playing out wide didn't do Welbeck any harm. Seems to be part of their development for most young strikers these days. Probably a better player as a result. I'm sure Fergie would have given Diouf more games in the centre for the first team eventually, if he thought he was worth sticking with. He certainly got a good look at him playing in that position for our reserves.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Playing out wide didn't do Welbeck any harm. Seems to be part of their development for most young strikers these days. Probably a better player as a result. I'm sure Fergie would have given Diouf more games in the centre for the first team eventually, if he thought he was worth sticking with. He certainly got a good look at him playing in that position for our reserves.
Quite right, it didn't but some strikers it has to be accepted that it won't work with.

I don't understand the wisdom in playing players like Macheda and Diouf or Hernandez on the wing, then again I am not a football coach.

Pogue Mahone

I find it a bit strange myself. Maybe it's because they can see more of the pitch and it helps them learn to time their runs better? Maybe it's just the only way to give them games when you can't risk a rookie striker missing a chance in a competitive game?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I find it a bit strange myself. Maybe it's because they can see more of the pitch and it helps them learn to time their runs better? Maybe it's just the only way to give them games when you can't risk a rookie striker missing a chance in a competitive game?
Call me a hippie but aren't most strikers full on confidence players ?

By giving them a run out on the wing you are effectively telling them. That I want you to improve but I don't trust you to do it in your natural position. I can't see how that helps a players confidence.

Just seems weird. If anyone needed time to see more of the pitch and time his runs it's Hernandez andnhe's hardly had any stints out there.

Pogue Mahone

Not sure I agree with that at all. Hernandez has been timing his runs brilliantly from the get go. Not always had the service and form's been up and down this season but his movement was outstanding in his debut season.

Of course, this is all speculation. There could be a completely different reason behind sticking so many young strikers out wide.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Admittedly that was a lazy assessment based off of the CL final and only a couple shockers since, he has for the most part as you say been outstanding.

Laphroaig

Mame played on the right in a front three for Molde quite a bit, so it's not just SAF's strange notion. But to be honest I didn't like him playing there. It didn't play to his attacking strenth, although his defensive contribution was very valuable.

Welbeck's qualities means he can play any attacking position, shunting Hernandez out wide makes no sense, he's a striker, end of, so I can certainly understand why Welbeck is played wide and Hernandez not. But I struggle to see why Macheda has played on the right.