Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Two top four teams is more acceptable to say.

Again, you are looking with the perspective of Guardiola not winning in years, I'm only talking about now in a vaccum. My point is that only one team can win the UCL and anyone can win in games between top teams. Flick, for example, won last year, but lost now. My point is that if City plays very well, but somehow loses on penalties, Guardiola won't have blame. Specially if he doesn't do tactical mistakes and plays the same team that has dominated the UCL.

Also, PSG is no super team, but their attack is so amazing that they are a big threat in that regard, it's how they eliminated Bayern despite being mostly worse. Bayern and City are the best teams in Europe in this season.
I actually think he has been very practical this year, going back to a double pivot and working from a more solid base. So yeah, I think there is every chance he goes into this game with a more suitable approach.

I just think it’s impossible to talk about football in a vacuum, or to isolate certain games. He has thrown away many ties in the past to inferior teams, so sooner or later, he has to do it. Losing to PSG would be another failure, even on penalties.

He might well get unlucky, but you just can’t keep failing after investing so much. Sooner or later you need to do something special with the resources you have. It’s impossible to view it in a vacuum because he needs to prove he can do this after such a massive investment and such a big advantage.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
I actually think he has been very practical this year, going back to a double pivot and working from a more solid base. So yeah, I think there is every chance he goes into this game with a more suitable approach.

I just think it’s impossible to talk about football in a vacuum, or to isolate certain games. He has thrown away many ties in the past to inferior teams, so sooner or later, he has to do it. Losing to PSG would be another failure, even on penalties.

He might well get unlucky, but you just can’t keep failing after investing so much. Sooner or later you need to do something special with the resources you have. It’s impossible to view it in a vacuum because he needs to prove he can do this after such a massive investment and such a big advantage.
I understand.

I also would like to make a correction to my comment. Where I had originally written: "Specially if he doesn't do tactical mistakes and plays the same team that has dominated the UCL", it should be "Specially if he doesn't do tactical mistakes and plays the same team that has dominated the PL".

BlueHaze

It was nonsense then and its nonsense now. Yet again blaming City for United being run by feckwits who first turned ye into a Europa club and then sold ye out in a heart beat. Its sad. Your Ed and the Glazers were looking to turn football into the fecking NFL long before City. But hey enjoy your excuse.
You and other deluded city fans, yes I called you deluded, are actually comparing us to yourselves? :lol:

We have been plagued by leech owners who have taken large chunks of income into their own pockets from the day they bought the club. On top of that majority of our spending comes from own revenue and sponsorship deals whereas yourselves have had oil princes pumping money into the club. Yes, we are being run disastrous by people who have zero fooball knowledge, you are right about that but other than that comparing the two of us and saying we are the same is utterly daft.

SER19

Easiest run to a CL ever?

Non descript group, moenchengladbach, Dortmund, psg, and the winner of the weakest CL semi in a decade.

They basically won the CL when gnabry and Lewandowski got injured for the tie against this horrific psg side

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Easiest run to a CL ever?

Non descript group, moenchengladbach, Dortmund, psg, and the winner of the weakest CL semi in a decade.

They basically won the CL when gnabry and Lewandowski got injured for the tie against this horrific psg side
PSG are hardly easy though.

Castia

They’ve stepped it up and the found the sweet spot between the old attacking tika taka to a more balanced setup with a much stronger defence. Suits European football much better.

The bastards

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Some people tried to argue that this is a weak Man City team and we should have win the league. :lol: Definitely not, this is better than last season team for sure. It has more balanced in midfield and defense.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They’ve stepped it up and the found the sweet spot between the old attacking tika taka to a more balanced setup with a much stronger defence. Suits European football much better.

The bastards
The more balanced setup is more stable defensively but they looked out of ideas going forward until the gift from Navas and the turnstile wall

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The reaction to the game is a bit cringe. People saying one of the best away performances in the CL. They were awful for the entire first half and then they scored a lucky floated cross and a free-kick that would’ve hit the wall against an under 10s side that didn’t wimp out of it.

mu4c_20le

The bastards
They came out with intent in the second half as you'd expect from any top team, but lets not pretend they didn't have a huge slice of luck tonight. Should've been 3-0 in the first half

Dr. StrangeHate

Pep is going to do a treble without a striker and with Gundogan as their top scorer. If ever there was a team more than the sum of its parts.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
The reaction to the game is a bit cringe. People saying one of the best away performances in the CL. They were awful for the entire first half and then they scored a lucky floated cross and a free-kick that would’ve hit the wall against an under 10s side that didn’t wimp out of it.
Lucky goals or not the second half performance was outstanding, can only think of 1 opportunity for PSG the whole of the second half whilst we dominated in every department

Varun

Staff
Bang on

Varun

Staff
Lucky goals or not the second half performance was outstanding, can only think of 1 opportunity for PSG the whole of the second half whilst we dominated in every department
And the first half diabolical. Could easily have ended the first half down by a couple

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
City are such an ehhh side. I don't mind them winning or losing really, they just exist. I nothing them.

Always enjoy watching PSG lose though. I hope Chelsea wins the CL I guess.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They have won 8 out of the last 12 domestic trophies. Makes me so sad.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You have to remember that in their awfulness they kept PSG to one goal in the first half. And in the second half they took control of the game and limited service to Mbappe. The goals were fortunate and gifted for sure.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
The game isnt over PSG have won all their away games in the KO. People need to be calm here.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
And the first half diabolical. Could easily have ended the first half down by a couple
Yeah but the last 5 mins could easily have ended it level with the Foden chance, but that's often the way in football

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
City are such an ehhh side. I don't mind them winning or losing really, they just exist. I nothing them.

Always enjoy watching PSG lose though. I hope Chelsea wins the CL I guess.
I always had a soft spot for Dirk Kuyt tbf.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
City are such an excellent side. The way they move the ball around and the way they win it back was such a thing to see in that PSG game. It's not the standard fare bore you to death tiki taka. They play some great fast paced football.

Looking past the whole oil-money-funded-nothing-club thingy, they're a really good football team.

Eddy_JukeZ

PSG can beat them at the Etihad.

It's not over.

The OTT praise they're getting for today is nauseating.

Dominos

No but relative to what you need to beat to win a cl i reckon every team in Europe would happily face them over 2 legs.
Every team City could have played will have been underwhelming by your standards though..

PSG are a tougher tie than Barca, Madrid, any of the Italian teams, any of the English sides.

Basically City's hypothetical CL win will be undermined because they didn't play Bayern.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
City have only conceded 4 goals in Europe this season ( :eek: ). PSG can win by 2 goals but it's a tall order.
Yes but realistic the teams they've faced weren't all that great outside of Dortmund and PSG, both of who have scored against City. Pep did really well in setting up the team and neutralizing Mbappe and Neymar in the second half. This was Mbappe first game in the CL where he didn't register a shot on target which was a shocker.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
That was an amazing second half performance against a tremendous team. I can see why they knocked both Barca and Bayern out. There is a long way to go in this tie...we all know they have fantastic world class players.

Heinzesight

PSG can beat them at the Etihad.

It's not over.

The OTT praise they're getting for today is nauseating.
Exactly. It’s half time and let’s hope the City players have the same mindset as the media and their fans thinking they’re pretty much through. Did they not watch the first half? Yeah, City were much improved second half and controlled it but were still gifted two goals. PSG can still cause damage. Bloo cnuts.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
City are such an excellent side. The way they move the ball around and the way they win it back was such a thing to see in that PSG game. It's not the standard fare bore you to death tiki taka. They play some great fast paced football.

Looking past the whole oil-money-funded-nothing-club thingy, they're a really good football team.
Of course they are a good football team. That's what pretty much unlimited funds and no fear of FFP will do for you. Every single team in the Prem bar City has suffered huge dips in form because of covid, coincidence ??

Go back say 15 - 20 years, would any player worth his salt join City for the love of the club ? Kinkladze was probably the only true decent player of the modern era who joined them in the same way Juniniho joined Middlesborough. Other than that it's for the $$$ regardless of how they try to brainwash you. If City win the Champions League, give it a few years and nobody outside of their fan base would give their win recognition.

Outside new money, there is very little respect for City, Chelsea, PSG, RB Leipzig. Not to say Football doesn't need a shake up. However, i'd stick my neck out and say most 'neutral' fans would say Leicester winning the Prem or a team of that size winning the Champions League is much more enjoyable than City, PSG lifting the cup

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If they make the final they would have played PSG and RM/Chelsea, that’s two good teams and a lot of CL winners don’t face more than two good teams anyway.
I mean Bayern last year also “only” faced Barca and PSG.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If they make the final they would have played PSG and RM/Chelsea, that’s two good teams and a lot of CL winners don’t face more than two good teams anyway.
I mean Bayern last year also “only” faced Barca and PSG.
I remember Barca in 2015 faced City, PSG, Bayern and then Juventus in the final. But yeah, you don't always face that many big clubs.

kidbob

The CL has greatly diminished in quality is all that I really see. Current Bayern at their best are the only side I'd give a hope to if you transported them back to the 00s era. As for City, look if they win it fair play, but this is nowhere the best side they've had since their takeover. Weirdly enough you could say that for all the semi final teams though. Past iterations have well eclipsed what they are.

As for 'best semi final performance ever' obviously that's bullshit when they were played off the park for the first half and weren't even that great in the second. Milan vs us 2nd leg in 07 off the top of my head far eclipses that and we were a much better side then than this PSG one.

Anyway I'm resigned to them winning it unless Chelsea can stop them (Madrid have no hope). It is what it is, and has always been somewhat inevitable.