Man jailed for racially abusing Marcus Rashford on twitter

Fridge chutney

I think it’s strange a person can be locked up for saying something, or writing something, no matter how offensive and mean it might be. To me the remedy would be banning from Twitter, societal ostracism, and maybe a civil case. That old saying, “I may not agree with you but I will fight/die for your right to say it”. Dude who abused Rashford was a piece of shit, no question. I think the first amendment (US) has to allow for vile, hateful speech. If people are offended, there are remedies, but squelching free speech should not be one of them. People get offended over tons of things now, and someone being offended isn’t enough to sacrifice the right to be offensive. Racism sucks in sports and elsewhere, so efforts to drive it and racists from the public sphere should be supported, but I still think jailing someone for speech is a slippery slope we don’t want to go down.
Jailing someone for saying words is not a new concept. If i walked up to someone and said "i am going to rape and murder you", i would be charged and go to jail. Pretty sure "free speech" would not work for me as a defence.

Oranges038

Think jail is too easy.

There should be public service orders to have these people do some utter dog shit work, like going around picking up dog shit for a year.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I am not sure how I'll feel about it later but my initial reaction thinks 6 weeks for racist slurs on the internet, directed at an individual seems about right. Could probably argue a month or two months is better.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I think instead of just jailing them if such a guy is named and shamed on TV(face being shown on TV) or a public platform, there will be more fear amongst people trying to racially abuse on social media.

People will actually be scared of the consequences it will have on their social life and think twice before typing that crap.

And yeah, this goes for racism against other communities/races too.

Smores

I am not sure how I'll feel about it later but my initial reaction thinks 6 weeks for racist slurs on the internet, directed at an individual seems about right. Could probably argue a month or two months is better.
The biggest punishment comes from the fact they'll lose their job and have a criminal record. No point clogging up prison with such people for longer than needed.

Good to see action being taken. It won't stop many of the worst offenders but it'll certainly reduce some.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
6 weeks is a little over a month, isn't it?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I think it’s a very fair sentence.

Dan_F

sending people to jail over tweets is absolutely ridiculous and always will be unless they're literally inciting terrorism
It’s a nominal sentence but now it’ll be on his record and he will need to disclose it to employers for a certain period. Good.

ForeverRed1

So are they now going to arrest every person on Twitter who racially abuses someone? Because there’s not enough jails in the world for that, so how do they choose who goes to jail and who doesn’t ? What’s the abuse meter for it ? Until they actually take peoples I.D and start permanently banning people who are abusive it won’t stop. Also hitting people financially will hurt too. I don’t think putting people in prison is sustainable enough.

another point here is a majority of people who write abuse like this on the internet are probably kids. Not all but a lot.

Sweet Square

What do you think?
I haven't looked into it but I would be very doubtful it did anything positive.

i think it’s relatively unprecedented? Only time will tell. Hopefully a step in the right direction
Cheers. Yeah I'm not sure it is a step in the right direction, they've basically given a teenager a criminal record for life in the hopes it will make people less racist online.

Last edited:

donkeyfish

I think it’s strange a person can be locked up for saying something, or writing something, no matter how offensive and mean it might be. To me the remedy would be banning from Twitter, societal ostracism, and maybe a civil case. That old saying, “I may not agree with you but I will fight/die for your right to say it”. Dude who abused Rashford was a piece of shit, no question. I think the first amendment (US) has to allow for vile, hateful speech. If people are offended, there are remedies, but squelching free speech should not be one of them. People get offended over tons of things now, and someone being offended isn’t enough to sacrifice the right to be offensive. Racism sucks in sports and elsewhere, so efforts to drive it and racists from the public sphere should be supported, but I still think jailing someone for speech is a slippery slope we don’t want to go down.
I agree with this sentiment, but always find it hard to gauge this trade off between being principally grounded and turn into one of these doomsday predictors thinking the world will collapse whenever some freedom is removed.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Banning him from accessing social network platforms is impossible

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The biggest punishment comes from the fact they'll lose their job and have a criminal record. No point clogging up prison with such people for longer than needed.

Good to see action being taken. It won't stop many of the worst offenders but it'll certainly reduce some.
Yeh. I'm more into education for this type of offence instead of longer jailing time. Especially since the guy is only 19 y.o. Longer jailing time will make him a racist for life, which is counter productive.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
6 weeks is a little over a month, isn't it?
Yeah my point is you could possibly argue particulars 4/6/8/10/12 weeks but it's kinda nitpicking

Agreed

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I haven't looked into it but I would be very doubtful it did anything positive.
This is something he can live without once he stops doing it though, unlike being a robber, criminal, etc. Jailed once for racism I am sure he won't repeat it on social media anymore because he won't gain anything out of it, like he would potentially do by breaking a store, house, or something similar.

Wing Attack Plan R

I agree with this sentiment, but always find it hard to gauge this trade off between being principally grounded and turn into one of these doomsday predictors thinking the world will collapse whenever some freedom is removed.
Yep, totally agree. But look at what Trump did here in the US, with calling the press "the enemy of the people" and saying journalists should be jailed. He took it the next step which was advocating violence against the free press. Look at Putin now, jailing anyone for 15 years if they call this Ukraine war anything but a de-Nazification exercise.

I was in Russia for the World Cup, and as much as I loved my time there, I was well aware that I was in a country where talking shit about the ruler could get me in serious trouble. It's something we take for granted here in the US [I don't know where you're from Sir Donkey of Fish], that we have free speech. It's the right that lets us tell Trump to eat a bag of dicks. It's the right that holds politicians to account. It's the right that shines light into the darkness etc. etc. (cue dramatic music). This 19 year old was an idiot. He did some racist things. Anyone think going to prison is going to lessen anyone's racist beliefs? If anything, he'll find fellow travelers. But again, US prisons are an atrocity, maybe they are a lot nicer in the UK.

There are lots of limits on free speech, it's not absolute. I would be very afraid if someone like Trump were able to get a law like that one passed here.

Carolina Red

Staff
Marcus Rashford and Justin Lee Price do not live in the United States. We don't have the market cornered on what does and does not constitute free speech.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
sending people to jail over tweets is absolutely ridiculous and always will be unless they're literally inciting terrorism
You've got a pretty ludicrously high bar for what is unacceptable.

Should the punishment for threats and racist abuse just being having your tweet taken down then? :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Another case of people claiming to want free speech when what they actually want is the ability to say things without consequences. Free speech existed here because he said it. Doesn’t mean you don’t then get your comeuppance (or c’nuppins as the Caf would say.)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd generally agree with this, and I'd be hard line on internet abuse merchants.

But I just feel even though he's over 18, he is still a teenager, and I'd probably give him something like 200-300hours community service instead.
Some really sh!te tasks that are a real punishment. Fail to do those, and then jail, but I'd ward on the side of a teen still has a chance to see the error of their ways, rather than some 40 year old.

hobbers

Another case of people claiming to want free speech when what they actually want is the ability to say things without consequences. Free speech existed here because he said it. Doesn’t mean you don’t then get your comeuppance (or c’nuppins as the Caf would say.)
So if a Russian criticises Putin and is immediately arrested and then thrown in a gulag a week later, that’s still free speech?

arnie_ni

So anyone can say what they want on twitter, minus terrorism?

If someone racially abuses someone face to face is that any different? Racial abuse is racial abuse no matter the forum

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There are a lot of dimwits who don't understand that free speech has to be in line with the laws of a country.
It's designed to challenge ideas, systems and the like.

Not to abuse someone from the comfort of their bedroom, all brave.

FerociousCorgis

as an american can be a bit weird seeing this type of jailing. Shit pretty sure we give less for DUI's even when people get killed.

Foxbatt

So if a Russian criticises Putin and is immediately arrested and then thrown in a gulag a week later, that’s still free speech?
Yes it is freedom of speech. What they do not have is freedom after speech. :D

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worth noting that he got a reduced sentence for pleading guilty.

Someone else who posted racial abuse towards Rashford, Sancho and Saka on their facebook page was previously given a 14 week sentence, suspended for 18 months, with 30 days rehabilitation activity and a 40-week electronically monitored curfew on Saturdays and Sundays.