Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
That video is the absolute worst, but it’s easy not to care. Hopefully we don’t do it again when we win it next year!

Ludens the Red

So the fact that City are 128 years old isnt history or tradition ?

They won the FA cup in 1904 (not history I suppose)

In the 1930s, Manchester City reached two consecutive FA Cup finals, losing to Everton in 1933, before claiming the Cup by beating Portsmouth in 1934. During the 1934 cup run, Manchester City broke the record for the highest home attendance of any English club in football history, as 84,569 fans packed Maine Road for a sixth round FA Cup tie against Stoke City in 1934.
Twenty years later, a City team inspired by a tactical system known as the Revie Plan reached consecutive FA Cup finals again, in 1955 and 1956; just as in the 1930s, they lost the first one, to Newcastle, and won the second. The 1956 final, in which Manchester City beat Birmingham 3–1, is one of the most famous finals of all-time, and is remembered for City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann continuing to play on after unknowingly breaking his neck

United shared City's ground during the war.

in 1968, Manchester City claimed the League Championship for the second time, clinching the title on the final day of the season with a 4–3 win at Newcastle United and beating their close neighbours Manchester United into second place. Further trophies followed: City won the FA Cup in 1969, before achieving European success by winning the European Cup Winners Cup in 1970, beating Gornik 2–1 in Vienna.. City also won the League that season, becoming the second English team to win a European trophy and a domestic trophy in the same season.

None of the above of course is 'history or tradition' according to you ?

TBH you sound a wee bit bitter at City's success.
:lol:
I do like how the initial part of this post is just basically glorifying Fa Cup runs.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Having Foden front and centre in that embarrassing video reeks of desperation on City's part and epitomises their laughable attempts at legitimisation within the footballing world. He's played, what, six games all season? Eight? Ten, at a push. Yet here he is, playing a starring role in an abysmal celebratory video as if he was their local 30-goal hero who propelled them to victory.

The whole City thing just stinks to the high heavens and any football fan who endorses them isn't really a football fan at all, and to borrow a phrase from a famous Italian sportsman, "You've got a rubbish bin in place of a heart."

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
People are quick to state that human rights are an issue.
Strange that because your club is owned by good old USA people.Now just tell me that the Sates are worse than UAE when they continually invade other peoples countries.Human rights !!
You go on about our owners and the human rights record, look at their official sponsorship partners and you'll find national banks of turkey, Qatar and UAE, all countries with questionable human rights records,but outrage is obviously linked to the size of the amount of money these countries contribute. Blinkered and bitter ?
No just hypocrites if you care to state that City are a problem due to their connections but he ho it must be OK if your club is connected to the same countries.
Double standards my friend.
United were a massive club before the Glazers arrived. City were a nothing club, that is the difference.

United are not being funded by the Glazers, United are funding the Glazers.

City have been funded by Arabs who have massive influence in the Middle East which is known for it’s human rights violations.

If they decided to pull the plug, City would sink back into obscurity in a few years.

GeorgieBoy

People are quick to state that human rights are an issue.
Strange that because your club is owned by good old USA people.Now just tell me that the Sates are worse than UAE when they continually invade other peoples countries.Human rights !!
You go on about our owners and the human rights record, look at their official sponsorship partners and you'll find national banks of turkey, Qatar and UAE, all countries with questionable human rights records,but outrage is obviously linked to the size of the amount of money these countries contribute. Blinkered and bitter ?
No just hypocrites if you care to state that City are a problem due to their connections but he ho it must be OK if your club is connected to the same countries.
Double standards my friend.
I'd bet everything I own you won't be on here very long...

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
So the fact that City are 128 years old isnt history or tradition ?

They won the FA cup in 1904 (not history I suppose)

In the 1930s, Manchester City reached two consecutive FA Cup finals, losing to Everton in 1933, before claiming the Cup by beating Portsmouth in 1934. During the 1934 cup run, Manchester City broke the record for the highest home attendance of any English club in football history, as 84,569 fans packed Maine Road for a sixth round FA Cup tie against Stoke City in 1934.
Twenty years later, a City team inspired by a tactical system known as the Revie Plan reached consecutive FA Cup finals again, in 1955 and 1956; just as in the 1930s, they lost the first one, to Newcastle, and won the second. The 1956 final, in which Manchester City beat Birmingham 3–1, is one of the most famous finals of all-time, and is remembered for City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann continuing to play on after unknowingly breaking his neck

United shared City's ground during the war.

in 1968, Manchester City claimed the League Championship for the second time, clinching the title on the final day of the season with a 4–3 win at Newcastle United and beating their close neighbours Manchester United into second place. Further trophies followed: City won the FA Cup in 1969, before achieving European success by winning the European Cup Winners Cup in 1970, beating Gornik 2–1 in Vienna.. City also won the League that season, becoming the second English team to win a European trophy and a domestic trophy in the same season.

None of the above of course is 'history or tradition' according to you ?

TBH you sound a wee bit bitter at City's success.
Did you just cut/paste Wikipedia?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
United were a massive club before the Glazers arrived. City were a nothing club, that is the difference.

City have been funded by Arabs who have massive influence in the Middle East which is known for it’s human rights violations.

If they decided to pull the plug, City would sink back into obscurity in a few years.
Points well made.

There didn’t used to be any one person bigger than their club in football. Sadly in citys case this isn’t the case. One man walks and the club go back to being what they were.

I don’t care what any city fan says, it cannot feel the same winning the league, knowing full well that their club does not have the commercial business model to even raise the revenue for just one of their top earners.

It may sound bitter but for me it’s ruining the game, I’m not a big Madrid fan but by God I wanted them to beat PSG just for the good of the game.

Hopefully one of the footballing bodies can intervene to sort this nonsense out, because in the end it also effects how much the fans have to pay to support their own team via tickets, merchandise etc, as their club try to compete with what is effectively a commercially unviable entity.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Having Foden front and centre in that embarrassing video reeks of desperation on City's part and epitomises their laughable attempts at legitimisation within the footballing world. He's played, what, six games all season? Eight? Ten, at a push. Yet here he is, playing a starring role in an abysmal celebratory video as if he was their local 30-goal hero who propelled them to victory.

The whole City thing just stinks to the high heavens and any football fan who endorses them isn't really a football fan at all, and to borrow a phrase from a famous Italian sportsman, "You've got a rubbish bin in place of a heart."
I'd love to know what makes us less a football fan than your good self?

padr81

Supports
Man City

Are you trying to turn the fact your owners are leeching from your club into a positive? Because the Glazers have been good for United but have they been as good as the Sheikh for City?

Maybe we would, maybe we wouldn't but every season the Sheikh is here, is a season closer to sustainability.

You only have to look at our commercial income and how little the actual Etihad deal is worth in comparison to many others there days to see the reality is it could easily be bigger from another company given our current standing in English football.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Points well made.

1 - There didn’t used to be any one person bigger than their club in football. Sadly in citys case this isn’t the case. One man walks and the club go back to being what they were.

2 - I don’t care what any city fan says, it cannot feel the same winning the league, knowing full well that their club does not have the commercial business model to even raise the revenue for just one of their top earners.

3 - It may sound bitter but for me it’s ruining the game, I’m not a big Madrid fan but by God I wanted them to beat PSG just for the good of the game.

4 - Hopefully one of the footballing bodies can intervene to sort this nonsense out, because in the end it also effects how much the fans have to pay to support their own team via tickets, merchandise etc, as their club try to compete with what is effectively a commercially unviable entity.
1 - Our commercial records and finances seem to strongly imply the opposite.

2 - Wrong on every level.

3 - Yeah football was much better when you could dominate the spending on your own with no competition except Arsenal right? And then your ideals of whats right in football Real Madrid... lol, I suggest you read up on Madrid and their state funding from selling their training ground to wipe out their enormous debt. Probably the most blatant cheating in top level european football bar the Calciopoli in Italy. Seems to me your idea of whats bad for the game is everything you're jealous of buddy.

4 - Wrong again. You think City and PSG are the reason its stupidly expensive to watch Arsenal? Why then are Liverpool and United around the same price as City, cheaper than Brighton, and one of the teams accused of financial doping by most, Chelsea are the 2nd most expensive

https://www.statista.com/statistics...-teams-ranked-by-most-expensive-ticket-price/.

oakiecokie

Supports
man city
I love the way Liverpool and United were financed by local people in the past, yes they were local. Didn't know Abu Dhabi was near Stockport.
Hahaaa.Why don`t you as a club then use your local Barclays to put your money in, instead of putting it thousands of miles away in an off-shore account. ;)

Sorry but you really are very naive if you think City will fold if our Owner decides to "pull the plug" as you say.
For the last few years we have made substantial profits,which has been confirmed not only by UEFA but their Compliance Officials,who in case you have forgotten dragged City over the coals for their so called "Spent too much ... blah,blah, blah ... "
Look I am not here to wind you up., but I have been supporting the Blues since 1964/65 season and my first game was at home to Norwich in a midweek game which was 0-0.As a then 13/14 yer old that match will stay with me forever.
I really am not here to wind you up, as a 67 year old I`ve been,seen, and done it all,including hitch hiking to both Bilbao and Vienna way back in the 1969/70 seaon.
All |I`m trying to say is that we all want to see our own teams progress,as have United since the early 1960` onwards and beyond.
However since our takeover in 2008 as a Club we had to spend millions just to "catch up" before UEFA decided that they couldn`t allow teams like City to leap frog the so called SKY 4.I have many friends who have been following United since the early `60`s and even they agree that any takeovers from potential buyers should not be restricted if that person was found to be a true and proper person with no financial problems ie the outlay of finances was not only stable but guaranteed to be viable.

You claim that City were a "nothing club". Really ?
Well we ain`t now are we ?

Schneckerl

I was really surprised to find out that city is 6th in the english top flight alltime table ahead of spurs, chelsea and newcastle - a bit more history than the other state funded club psg I guess.

oakiecokie

Supports
man city
I love the way Liverpool and United were financed by local people in the past, yes they were local. Didn't know Abu Dhabi was near Stockport.
Can I therefore ask why as a Club you don`t put your monies into somewhere like Barclays in your local High Street instead of using an off shore account some thousands of miles away from Manchester ??

RoyH1

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City
Thing is, generalizing entire middle east as a regime that violates human rights is just wrong. Now of course, UAE is still a monarchy and there are violations of basic human rights time to time, it's a lot different story compared to, say, Qatar.

But just the fact that a football club is state sponsored is still ridiculous and that's a point that was being made. United is owned by Glazers not the national government of United States which makes the post that you're defending seem very idiotic.
I neither defended nor agreed with the point made, I merely pointed out it was disingenuous to pretend one didn't understand the comparison being drawn. Without being drawn into the rights and wrongs of America's foreign policy and their treatment at home of certain groups, I believe there is a thread elsewhere covering that, I would agree it is unrealistic to lay the blame for that at the door of the owners of Manchester United, I assume they have little or no influence politically.

On the other hand I find the argument that a monarch cannot own a football club somewhat baffling. If it is because he is wealthy should there be a blanket ban on wealthy people owning football clubs or do we discriminate against royalty. If Prince William had shares in his beloved Villa would anyone care? If Bill Gates bought Doncaster and they won the premiership would anyone complain? What if the Monegasque royal family bought Monaco, not sure there would be too many ripples of discontent.

I understand it may not be popular in some quarters that certain clubs win trophies but I am not convinced it is as black and white as some make out.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No transfer ban for City
A two year ban was a possibility but they’ve been cleared of an wrongdoing in the Benjamin Garré case.

Paul Hirst‏ @hirstclass

MCFC found out this morning that CAS clear have cleared them of any wrongdoing over Benjamin Garré's transfer from Velez Sarsfield. They will therefore face no transfer ban.

2:21 am - 17 Apr 2018 From Manchester, England

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
Points well made.

I don’t care what any city fan says, it cannot feel the same winning the league, knowing full well that their club does not have the commercial business model to even raise the revenue for just one of their top earners.

It may sound bitter but for me it’s ruining the game, I’m not a big Madrid fan but by God I wanted them to beat PSG just for the good of the game.

Hopefully one of the footballing bodies can intervene to sort this nonsense out, because in the end it also effects how much the fans have to pay to support their own team via tickets, merchandise etc, as their club try to compete with what is effectively a commercially unviable entity.
It's IMO a great shame that across the board, football fans are now all, to one degree or another, 'financial experts', spending time talking with their friends & opposition fans alike about financial fairplay, football finances, wages, transfer caps, etc instead of just enjoying the game. It's the price of success (of the game as a whole) - it's brought money and with it, all these conversations

In an ideal world, all clubs would have the same financial budget, all would compete on truly level terms. But we are way, way past all that and it won't change back

However are you seriously suggesting that when a city fan is celebrating winning the league the joy is watered down, because the way we have earned the money we have used is less honourable than the way other 'big clubs' have, or that we are even thinking about such factors, consciously or sub consciously, when we are celebrating ?

Indeed it's the sort of comment that would only come from the fan of another top 6 (or whatever you want to call it) club - do you think a typical fan of say Bournemouth or Bolton differentiates between United & City successes based on how they have respectively earned their money ?

Meanwhile with reference to your last point, United's owners were long taking advantage of their supporters before our oil money takeover came along, including IIRC, insisting on ST holders buying tickets to all home cup games ?

Red Star One

No transfer ban for City
A two year ban was a possibility but they’ve been cleared of an wrongdoing in the Benjamin Garré case.

Paul Hirst‏ @hirstclass

MCFC found out this morning that CAS clear have cleared them of any wrongdoing over Benjamin Garré's transfer from Velez Sarsfield. They will therefore face no transfer ban.

2:21 am - 17 Apr 2018 From Manchester, England
Little surprise

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Great video that. City - "the working man's club" :rolleyes: Wholly embarassing.

United's corporate bs has long left me feeling completely alienated as a fan but we're positively National League compared to this. Whoever dreamed that up has zero connection with this country, the city of Manchester and it's footballing tradition and heritage, or indeed anything about English football fan culture as a whole. Because if they had they'd have taken one look at the finished product and recognised that it's exactly the kind of marketing bs thats turning people here off football in droves.

But then it's not aimed at local City fans because the club couldn't give two shits about them.

They play some nice football at the minute City but everything else about them is rotten to the core.

Member 85611

So City had to basically stage their fans' title celebration for that video?

Last edited by a moderator:

GeorgieBoy

It's IMO a great shame that across the board, football fans are now all, to one degree or another, 'financial experts', spending time talking with their friends & opposition fans alike about financial fairplay, football finances, wages, transfer caps, etc instead of just enjoying the game. It's the price of success (of the game as a whole) - it's brought money and with it, all these conversations

In an ideal world, all clubs would have the same financial budget, all would compete on truly level terms. But we are way, way past all that and it won't change back

However are you seriously suggesting that when a city fan is celebrating winning the league the joy is watered down, because the way we have earned the money we have used is less honourable than the way other 'big clubs' have, or that we are even thinking about such factors, consciously or sub consciously, when we are celebrating ?

Indeed it's the sort of comment that would only come from the fan of another top 6 (or whatever you want to call it) club - do you think a typical fan of say Bournemouth or Bolton differentiates between United & City successes based on how they have respectively earned their money ?

Meanwhile with reference to your last point, United's owners were long taking advantage of their supporters before our oil money takeover came along, including IIRC, insisting on ST holders buying tickets to all home cup games ?
I'd argue they do. A lot of fans of smaller clubs will still put an asterisk next to City's success.
That's not to say that they wouldn't relish a takeover of their own clubs and enjoy success that may come with it like you are currently.

SillyUsername

Every time I read this thread or the Bluemoon thread I see City fans using the Glazers as a rebuttal to legitimate questions about the City ownership. This kind of comparison is madness.

To anyone legitimately thinking this way, just ask yourself two simple questions: How much political influence do the Glazers have in DC? How much political influence do City's owners have in the UAE?

City have played magnificent football this season. Their fans will naturally celebrate and you can't hold that against them but as an opposing fan I'm not all too bothered about what they do. Anything they accomplish is off the back of a middle eastern dictatorship. It wasn't great management or loyal support that put them on the map and every football fan knows that.

On the other hand, if Liverpool were to make it in the Champions League this season, which is now looking like a real possibility, that would hurt far more because it would be a fantastic footballing achievement that they've earned the hard way. You'd never hear the end of it, it would be one hell of a party on Merseyside if it happens :(

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City
Every time I read this thread or the Bluemoon thread I see City fans using the Glazers as a rebuttal to legitimate questions about the City ownership. This kind of comparison is madness.

To anyone legitimately thinking this way, just ask yourself two simple questions: How much political influence do the Glazers have in DC? How much political influence do City's owners have in the UAE?

City have played magnificent football this season. Their fans will naturally celebrate and you can't hold that against them but as an opposing fan I'm not all too bothered about what they do. Anything they accomplish is off the back of a middle eastern dictatorship. It wasn't great management or loyal support that put them on the map and every football fan knows that.

On the other hand, if Liverpool were to make it in the Champions League this season, which is now looking like a real possibility, that would hurt far more because it would be a fantastic footballing achievement that they've earned the hard way. You'd never hear the end of it, it would be one hell of a party on Merseyside if it happens :(

You are right, it is madness, but why are you questioning the legitimacy of the City ownership, this is also madness. Are you saying rich people shouldn't own sporting franchises, are you suggesting royalty should be banned from owning sporting franchises, or is it an Arab thing?

If you are now going to talk about human rights violations, well are you qualified to discuss a sovereign states domestic affairs, I am truly confused with the sudden obsession with human rights abuses in a tiny corner of the world that never seemed to be a problem previously on these pages. It smacks of desperation.