Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

T A

That’s bad losing to West Brom at this moment but at least we didnt see City celebrating in front of our eyes in case they’d won it directly through one of their matches. The early title may also distract their concentration on breaking records. I remember when we won the Premier League 12-13 with still 5 games in pocket, we had aimed for Chelsea’s 95 points record before but then lost all the focus and failed it. All City’s opponents in the rest of this season are not in safe positions yet, those teams will fight with 200% their abilities to avoid relegation, the lesser time left the stronger they will be and i can see City would bottle it somewhere

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
So that's not exactly similar is it?

I'm not saying they bought the title or something like that mind you.
How is that not similar? The difference is like 4%. That's the definition of similar.

Balagan

Etisalat are affectionately known as Etishite here in Dubai primarily for their abysmal services and inflated pricing, that video sums up everything about that company in a nutshell

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

The absolute state of this.
Wow, as a player I would be completely embarassed after seeing this. Even I cringe when seeing this. How can you be so deluded as a marketing guy that you can possibly think this could get well received?

DavidDeSchmikes

Deserve a points deduction for this shite. I know United are corporate but nothing we have done has EVER made me cringe as hard as this.
:lol:,
What's next? Imagine if they won the quadruple, it will be to the song 'Heads, shoulders, knees and toes'
Leagueeeeee
LeagueCup
FA Cup
Champions League

Rafaeldagold

Fair play to them they have played the best and deserve it.

But they have spent an insane amount of money and are just a state sponsored vanity project. Not sure how good it is for football that City and PSG are easily winning their leagues.

How is it a fair level playing field to compete against a state anyway? (And not a particularly nice one in terms of human rights violations and equality)

It’s not exactly a feel good football story is it

A-boateng

So the fact that City are 128 years old isnt history or tradition ?

They won the FA cup in 1904 (not history I suppose)

In the 1930s, Manchester City reached two consecutive FA Cup finals, losing to Everton in 1933, before claiming the Cup by beating Portsmouth in 1934. During the 1934 cup run, Manchester City broke the record for the highest home attendance of any English club in football history, as 84,569 fans packed Maine Road for a sixth round FA Cup tie against Stoke City in 1934.
Twenty years later, a City team inspired by a tactical system known as the Revie Plan reached consecutive FA Cup finals again, in 1955 and 1956; just as in the 1930s, they lost the first one, to Newcastle, and won the second. The 1956 final, in which Manchester City beat Birmingham 3–1, is one of the most famous finals of all-time, and is remembered for City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann continuing to play on after unknowingly breaking his neck

United shared City's ground during the war.

in 1968, Manchester City claimed the League Championship for the second time, clinching the title on the final day of the season with a 4–3 win at Newcastle United and beating their close neighbours Manchester United into second place. Further trophies followed: City won the FA Cup in 1969, before achieving European success by winning the European Cup Winners Cup in 1970, beating Gornik 2–1 in Vienna.. City also won the League that season, becoming the second English team to win a European trophy and a domestic trophy in the same season.

None of the above of course is 'history or tradition' according to you ?

TBH you sound a wee bit bitter at City's success.
I am not bitter about their success. They have been the best team in the league this season and deserve the title. I am just saying when they win nobody cares about them hence why they often bring up United in their celebrations. I mean they can't even fill up their stadium despite the abundance of star players and a world class manager. That tells you everything you need to know about the club.

They are an artificial club similar to PSG who have just spent bucket-loads of money to achieve success. Who has come of their academy recently? Top clubs with history and tradition always try and integrate academy players. We do it with Rashford and Lingard, Pool do it with TAA, even Spurs with Kane and Winks. City couldn't care less.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Without trying to downplay what's been an incredible season of football & often a pleasure to watch, the league would be so much more exciting if City weren't in it this season. Sure us & Spurs are behind, but we'd still have a chance come the final game or two, and that'd be more interesting viewing than watching the league get decided half a dozen games in advance.

But they have been brilliant, so fair fecks to them all the same.

oakiecokie

Supports
man city
Fair play to them they have played the best and deserve it.

But they have spent an insane amount of money and are just a state sponsored vanity project. Not sure how good it is for football that City and PSG are easily winning their leagues.

How is it a fair level playing field to compete against a state anyway? (And not a particularly nice one in terms of human rights violations and equality)

It’s not exactly a feel good football story is it
I`m in NO doubt that you have no idea s to how FFP works,if you think for one moment City have an unlimited pot of money to play about with.
City have for the last three seasons shown some marvellous marketing skills in attracting sponsorship money and have made millions on TV monies,certainly via the CL,something which United have "lost" in the same period.
United still hold the Aces when it comes to marketing,but City are fairly "new" in trying to attract big name companies and therefore havn`t tapped in to the wider market.However that has changed dramatically over the past couple of seasons and will continue at an alarming rate, compared to most other world clubs.
All this nonsense regarding earned monies by other Clubs.If you knew your own history you would realise that United had their own "sugar-daddy" way back in the 1920/30`s.
Don`t believe me ?? Check your history and have a look at which local businessman ploughed thousands of £`s into United.Bit like Liverpool and the Moores Family who were doing this from the 1960`s onwards and don`t forget Arsenal another whinging Club who in the late 1990`s had a huge wad thrown into their club from an investor.
Always makes me smile when I read other supporters crying over Citys new found wealth,especially when the old Big 4 have been doing it for donkeys years.
You like many others make this ridiculous claim that we are state owned and not a nice one anyway with human rights violations.
fecking hell there`s no-one worse than the country people that controls your club,going into other peoples back yards and committing murders and wars on a continuous year in year out basis.
Just suits your narrative that City are in breach of financial doping, when the reality is that we have world top financial people running our club, NOT Town Centre/Mall Managers.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You like many others make this ridiculous claim that we are state owned and not a nice one anyway with human rights violations.
fecking hell there`s no-one worse than the country people that controls your club,going into other peoples back yards and committing murders and wars on a continuous year in year out basis.
Your whole message is a car crash of a post, but what in hell are you talking about here?

C3Pique

I`m in NO doubt that you have no idea s to how FFP works,if you think for one moment City have an unlimited pot of money to play about with.
City have for the last three seasons shown some marvellous marketing skills in attracting sponsorship money and have made millions on TV monies,certainly via the CL,something which United have "lost" in the same period.
United still hold the Aces when it comes to marketing,but City are fairly "new" in trying to attract big name companies and therefore havn`t tapped in to the wider market.However that has changed dramatically over the past couple of seasons and will continue at an alarming rate, compared to most other world clubs.
All this nonsense regarding earned monies by other Clubs.If you knew your own history you would realise that United had their own "sugar-daddy" way back in the 1920/30`s.
Don`t believe me ?? Check your history and have a look at which local businessman ploughed thousands of £`s into United.Bit like Liverpool and the Moores Family who were doing this from the 1960`s onwards and don`t forget Arsenal another whinging Club who in the late 1990`s had a huge wad thrown into their club from an investor.
Always makes me smile when I read other supporters crying over Citys new found wealth,especially when the old Big 4 have been doing it for donkeys years.
Just suits your narrative that City are in breach of financial doping, when the reality is that we have world top financial people running our club, NOT Town Centre/Mall Managers.
Except for the fact that City failed FFP thanks to their sponsorships being inflated way beyond market rates. Those sponsorships included Etisalat by the way. So yes, you are in breach of financial doping.

oakiecokie

Supports
man city
Except for the fact that City failed FFP thanks to their sponsorships being inflated way beyond market rates. Those sponsorships included Etisalat by the way. So yes, you are in breach of financial doping.
Pity that you`re completely soooooooooooooooooooo wrong on that.It had nothing whatsoever to do with inflated market rates so please if you`re going to argue at least get your facts correct.

oakiecokie

Supports
man city
Your whole message is a car crash of a post, but what in hell are you talking about here?
People are quick to state that human rights are an issue.
Strange that because your club is owned by good old USA people.Now just tell me that the Sates are worse than UAE when they continually invade other peoples countries.Human rights !!
You go on about our owners and the human rights record, look at their official sponsorship partners and you'll find national banks of turkey, Qatar and UAE, all countries with questionable human rights records,but outrage is obviously linked to the size of the amount of money these countries contribute. Blinkered and bitter ?
No just hypocrites if you care to state that City are a problem due to their connections but he ho it must be OK if your club is connected to the same countries.
Double standards my friend.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Strange that because your club is owned by good old USA people.Now just tell me that the Sates are worse than UAE when they continually invade other peoples countries.Human rights !!
You go on about our owners and the human rights record, look at their official sponsorship partners and you'll find national banks of turkey, Qatar and UAE, all countries with questionable human rights records,but outrage is obviously linked to the size of the amount of money these countries contribute. Blinkered and bitter ?
No just hypocrites if you care to state that City are a problem due to their connections but he ho it must be OK if your club is connected to the same countries.
I honestly have no idea what you're going on about.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I love the way Liverpool and United were financed by local people in the past, yes they were local. Didn't know Abu Dhabi was near Stockport.

Denis_unwise

Pity that you`re completely soooooooooooooooooooo wrong on that.It had nothing whatsoever to do with inflated market rates so please if you`re going to argue at least get your facts correct.
Not sure what's going to come first. I'll either put you on ignore or the Mods will give you the Ban Hammer.

You obviously know nothing about your own club though. You failed FFP for a multitude of reasons. One of the many reasons was that your secondary sponsorship's were well above market value.

It has recently been reported that other clubs in CFG have run up massive losses. Nobody has figured out how though. These clubs are in small leagues. They are not spending huge transfer fees or paying huge wages. A cynic may say that City are dumping losses onto other teams in the group.

Teams/individuals who flout the rules rarely ever do it once. They adapt their techniques until they are caught again. I would compare City to Justin Gatlin. Many fans thought it highly distasteful that he took the Olympic gold off Bolt. It wasn't necessarily that he had been caught cheating. It was more the fact that many held the opinion that he was still cheating.

Fish in kettles

Supports
Man City

I think he refers to the fact that your argument relies on City being owned by someone from a nation with whom you are not wholly aligned politically, he is countering that by suggesting that perhaps United's owners hail from a country which are not/have not covered themselves in glory in that respect. I didn't think it was that complicated to be frank.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I think he's trying to equate America (A country with a questionable history of foreign policy/meddling) with UAE, a country which has a questionable history of foreign policy/meddling as well as crushing human rights abuses as some sort of pot kettle black analogy.

It didn't work.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think he's trying to equate America (A country with a questionable history of foreign policy/meddling) with UAE, a country which has a questionable history of foreign policy/meddling as well as crushing human rights abuses as some sort of pot kettle black analogy.

It didn't work.
Also the fact they are technically owned by said country and we are own by individuals. Also their manager has connections with another questionable regime.

FujiVice

Congrats to City. I hope they skip the open top bus and go for the more traditional approach of torturing rival business men in the desert in Abu Dhabi. While singing "there's only one Uwe Rosler" of course.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I think he refers to the fact that your argument relies on City being owned by someone from a nation with whom you are not wholly aligned politically, he is countering that by suggesting that perhaps United's owners hail from a country which are not/have not covered themselves in glory in that respect. I didn't think it was that complicated to be frank.
If that was his point it was an incredibly stupid one.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
You won't last long here.

pacifictheme

What an absolute crock of shite. The best bit is he believes all that. Half of it completely wrong. Brilliant.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Not sure what's going to come first. I'll either put you on ignore or the Mods will give you the Ban Hammer.

You obviously know nothing about your own club though. You failed FFP for a multitude of reasons. One of the many reasons was that your secondary sponsorship's were well above market value.

It has recently been reported that other clubs in CFG have run up massive losses. Nobody has figured out how though. These clubs are in small leagues. They are not spending huge transfer fees or paying huge wages. A cynic may say that City are dumping losses onto other teams in the group.

Teams/individuals who flout the rules rarely ever do it once. They adapt their techniques until they are caught again. I would compare City to Justin Gatlin. Many fans thought it highly distasteful that he took the Olympic gold off Bolt. It wasn't necessarily that he had been caught cheating. It was more the fact that many held the opinion that he was still cheating.
The reason city failed FFP was due to players signed, from memory it was nowt to do with inflated sponsorship unless my memory is failing which wouldn't be a first

RedCurry

Thing is, generalizing entire middle east as a regime that violates human rights is just wrong. Now of course, UAE is still a monarchy and there are violations of basic human rights time to time, it's a lot different story compared to, say, Qatar.

But just the fact that a football club is state sponsored is still ridiculous and that's a point that was being made. United is owned by Glazers not the national government of United States which makes the post that you're defending seem very idiotic.

Denis_unwise

Reactions: KM