Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

Trizy

From bluemoon, that Fernandinho is suspended for 2 games i think its accumulation of 10th yellow card.
Games against Spurs and Swansea he is missing.
A bit of concerns from bluemoon that things are starting to fall away from them.
Hope Spurs do them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Exactly, I'd love to know exactly what they expect of him. for example, they gave him a stay of execution last year and he himself said he was lucky to be in a job. I read somewhere Pellegrini was given a task of 5 trophies in 5 seasons but was always going to be shoved aside for Pep if he would take the job so maybe under less pressure with less expectation than Pep. If we do make a mess of closing out the league and only get in done with a game or two left would the owners be impressed with 1 premiership and 1 LC in 2 years.

I guess when I see how ruthless Abrahimovic is it makes me curious about what kind of targets both ourselves and PSG set our managers by comparison. For example I was shocked Emery got a stay of execution last year after losing a 1 horse race to Monaco. As you said I'd love to know if they realise or how they think with regards to football, especially those owners like our own and PSGs who are from countries where football is not the be all and end all.

A little off topic but I'd also like to know how much they really care. I mean its obvious why they bought us and its obvious from investment they intend to do well, but I'm curious to things like, did the Sheik kick over his chair and curse at the tv yesterday when Smalling scored (if he was watching) and if he did is it because "my money should be more successful" or is he finding a genuine like for the club for more than selfish reasons if that makes sense
Good question and one that every football has pondered on occasion I'm sure.

Are the Glazers in it purely for financial gain or do they share a genuine affection for the club? Had that question been asked 10 or so years ago, the answer would have weighed heavily towards the former. I took instant objection to their takeover, brought my very own green and gold scarf and wore to every home game (was a season ticket holder back then), my brother and I attended many meetings held by MUST and brought in to the propaganda being spread. The Glazers are the Devil in the flesh and their purpose in taking over the club is to tear it apart from within. I'm aware how ridiculous that sounds.

But in time they proved us wrong, their intentions made clear by supporting SAF in the transfer market (some may debate this), increased the wage structure throughout the club - from the tea lady through to Wayne Rooney - recruited a solid contingent of backroom staff that formed the base for what is now one of the most appealing sports brands on the planet. Through their leadership the club has attained commercial dominance to the point that only Real Madrid realistically compare. All this goes to show that we, football fans in general, need to be a little more open minded regarding our clubs future. Not so knee-jerk in our assessment of certain situations.

As for Shiek Monsour, who knows? I guess it depends on the stance you're willing to take regards the whole human rights abuse allegations, and whether he is using City to launder his highly tarnished reputation.

Last edited:

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I'm still annoyed that you've got Gundogan tbh, he's a much better player than he's shown so far but he's already shown decent form.
That incredible goal we scored against Arsenal at the Emirates - the one that ended in Sané bundling it in after a 20+ pass move - wouldn't have worked in the same way if Fernandinho had been on the pitch. Gundogan's much better at controlling the ball in tight areas and he was integral in making that move happen. We'll miss Fernandinho's defensive abilities and the knack he has for spotting danger before it happens against Spurs but against Swansea Gundogan should be more than enough.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
A little off topic but I'd also like to know how much they really care. I mean its obvious why they bought us and its obvious from investment they intend to do well, but I'm curious to things like, did the Sheik kick over his chair and curse at the tv yesterday when Smalling scored (if he was watching) and if he did is it because "my money should be more successful" or is he finding a genuine like for the club for more than selfish reasons if that makes sense.
They bought us as a way to improve their relations with the UK/western world and create more wealth for themselves. They're capitalists, full stop. I had to start making my peace with that fact a long time ago (even if I don't want to make peace with the actions Mansour is linked to in his homeland) and winning more trophies than I ever imagined with Pep Guardiola as our manager does make that process a little easier.

JohnnyKills

They bought us as a way to improve their relations with the UK/western world and create more wealth for themselves. They're capitalists, full stop. I had to start making my peace with that fact a long time ago (even if I don't want to make peace with the actions Mansour is linked to in his homeland) and winning more trophies than I ever imagined with Pep Guardiola as our manager does make that process a little easier.
It's difficult isn't it. I was keen for Murdoch to buy United 20 years ago because it would have given us more power in the transfer market, at a time when we regularly lost out for the big players. The fact that Murdoch would have had a major advantages in negotiating broadcasting rights, which could have eventually led to United negotiating their own TV deals, didn't really bother me.

The nature of the Abu Dhabi regime makes this a trickier issue. It's hard to ignore the human rights abuses, the lack of democracy and the rampant sexism and homophobia. But if I was a City fan I'd probably be lapping it all up, just as you're doing.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He places the Invincibles above them without a solid argument.

I think the point of the article may be getting away from you slightly. It’s not necessarily meant to grade the teams that have won the title, more to point out that there are teams that have won the title who are more deserving of being known as the “best premier league side ever” over this current City team.

I would put Chelsea 2004-05 above Arsenal though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think the point of the article may be getting away from you slightly. It’s not necessarily meant to grade the teams that have won the title, more to point out that there are teams that have won the title who are more deserving of being known as the “best premier league side ever” over this current City team.

I would put Chelsea 2004-05 above Arsenal though.
That is literally just semantics. Or I've not had enough coffee this morning to tell the difference.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pep had a master of Klopp towards the end of Klopp's stay at Dortmund.
They key was that Lewandowski was also adept at playing up from in a long ball team. He's a complete striker.
At City, there's no one to play the long ball to.
It's also not a coincidence that Fernandinho has had a disaster in both game at Anfield.
For all his qualities, he's not a press-resistant player like you'd label Busquets, to a large extent, neither is Kevin De Bruyne. It's meant, City's midfield has been annihilated in both games.
To be able to deal with Klopp, he needs someone like Fred and Harry Kane.

Adisa

Personally I don't really see how there can be a debate on the greatest PL side ever until someone else wins the treble.
I don't really understand why they league can't be taken as an entity on its own.
We can judge the greatest premier league side in the context of just the league.
The argument changes if we say the greatest English side.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That is literally just semantics. Or I've not had enough coffee this morning to tell the difference.
I don't think it is semantics. I don't really know how else to put it. It's not him grading the teams necessarily from best to worst, but more him trying to point to the fact that there are teams that have won it that are more deserving of the title of "beat premier league team ever". Whether it's United - 1999 (or maybe even 2008), Chelsea - 2004-05, or the Invincible Arsenal team. All those are more deserving. Grade them how you like, but they all come above City.

That's my subjective take on it anyway.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That Chelsea isn't included seriously undermines his argument.
Chelsea have only once put up a season even close to this City one (well maybe twice). Imho they have never really had a more dominant season than the one City are having atm. Amazing team but if and it's a big if City retain the title next season with another 90+ points haul, they'll easily have matched the achievments of that Chelsea team.

Akshay

Staff
I don't really understand why they league can't be taken as an entity on its own.
We can judge the greatest premier league side in the context of just the league.
Isn't that more the 'greatest premier league season' any side has had? Greatest premier league side to me means the greatest team to come from the PL, in which case other competitions are definitely relevant.

JohnnyKills

You have to look at the league in the context of the whole season. The CL (and the FA Cup to an extent) places huge demands on its participants, so those clubs which go deep inevitably have to rest players and change their tactics for league games, which can mean dropping points. Had Arsenal reached the final of the CL back in their supposed 'invincible' season, who's to say they wouldn't have rested key players in the PL and ended up losing a match?

I get the fact that some teams are good cup sides, the teams which can turn up and turn it on in one-off matches like Forest in the late 80s, for example. But surely the greatest PL side is one which juggles the season's various demands, churns out results despite the demands of other competitions (and the injuries they bring).

Plus, in the case of Arsenal, the term 'invincible' is a misnomer. They actually lost six games that season, including a 3-0 defeat to Inter at home. Invincibility is like pregnancy: you either are, or you aren't.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Isn't that more the 'greatest premier league season' any side has had? Greatest premier league side to me means the greatest team to come from the PL, in which case other competitions are definitely relevant.
This. What I said, but you've said it better.

Handré1990

Yeah, the pendulum has swung too far the other way now. They’re a great side, it’s just calling them the greatest side before they’ve actually done anything that is stupid.

And tbf, that’s mostly all down to there being a conspicuous lack of narratives this season, and it being a relatively boring and straight forward one in nearly all aspects. It was dreamt up by people paid to talk about football as a way of having something to talk about football, in a season where everything was kinda sewn up by February. Of making a middling season seem interesting and exceptional in some way. Because every season has to be sellable as exceptional and important in some way, because media.
Couldn’t have put it better. It was such an anti-climax to the Pep v Mou narrative they probably had to toss many metres of pre-written articles.

Man City 1:2 Liverpool (CL QF 2nd leg)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
3 losses in a row for the greatest team ever to grace the Premier League, right at the business end of the season.

Can we talk about the biggest collapse in modern times now, or should we wait until Spurs do them at the weekend?

Adisa

Could be 4 next week.
Hopefully, they continue to stumble. Would be great for next season.

Bobski

Exposed this week. Given the money they have spent this season you would have to say Pep has not made the best use of it. Only really the keeper and Walker making strong impressions.

Raw

It is so fecking frustrating that we dropped those 6 stupid points in December. I wonder how they'd react in the PL if we were right on their tail after these results.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
It is so fecking frustrating that we dropped those 6 stupid points in December. I wonder how they'd react in the PL if we were right on their tail after these results.
Yeah I almost want City just to wrap it up quickly now. Not sure I could take it if they Devon Loch it and we end up only missing out by a handful of points, given the ridiculous points dropped round December especially.

Just get this anti-climax over with.

Tingen

Yes I would have loved to see us “only” 7-8 points away from 1st now. It is very likely that City - given the pressure of us being closer to them in the table - would have crumbled.

However as I see it they only need 5p in the last 6 games to win it so no need to get hopes up - but December sure hurts.

A few guys at Bluemoon is getting anxious though.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
3 losses in a row for the greatest team ever to grace the Premier League, right at the business end of the season.

Can we talk about the biggest collapse in modern times now, or should we wait until Spurs do them at the weekend?
There's no way that City will out-Spurs, Spurs.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes I would have loved to see us “only” 7-8 points away from 1st now. It is very likely that City - given the pressure of us being closer to them in the table - would have crumbled.

However as I see it they only need 5p in the last 6 games to win it so no need to get hopes up - but December sure hurts.

A few guys at Bluemoon is getting anxious though.
Should Spurs pull off a win this weekend, things will really begin to get interesting.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Exposed this week. Given the money they have spent this season you would have to say Pep has not made the best use of it. Only really the keeper and Walker making strong impressions.
You're joking, right? Walker's been terrible recently.

NoLogo

Well Liverpool really seems to be their cryptonite. Also quite interesting seeing the patterns of Bayern under Guardiola repeat itself at City this year. Early complete domination in the league and a severe dip in form at the most vital part of the season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well Liverpool really seems to be their cryptonite. Also quite interesting seeing the patterns of Bayern under Guardiola repeat itself at City this year. Early complete domination in the league and a severe dip in form at the most vital part of the season.
Just my thinking. Didn't Bayern fans on here claim they would lose a lot of their intensity at this point?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
They're without Fernandinho for Spurs too.

Hopefully Spurs hand them their arses.

Relegation form :drool: