g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester City 17/18 discussion | "If you're here for the Champions clap your hands" (#6505)

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Which 5 are better? I often find that things get better with age where football memory is concerned. In 10 years time if this season leaves City with the highest goals scored, and highest points ever in PL history, they’ll be cited as one of the best sides ever in PL history (certainly top 5). Yet nothing will have changed other than the passing of time.
Across the second half of the season you’ve been trying to trump City up as one of the great sides.

Curious to know how you’re feeling about it now.

Bottled it against Liverpool in first leg of the Champions League QF, barely laying a glove on them. And as funny as it would be if you turned it around, it’s not happening. A great side should at least be competitive in Europe no, especially against a side 20 points behind them in the league?

Bottled it at home for a moment of history to win the league in a derby. In the process losing an unbeaten home record which quite a few league winners have acheived. Full unbeaten record has obviously been off the cards since your first humiliation at Anfield.

Bottled it against lower league opposition in the FA Cup, despite playing a strong team. So no chance of doing the real domestic double (again quite a few have achieved this) or real treble.

You’ve spent the GDP of a small country in unearned income.

So, were the claims premature and unjustified, or will a few more one-sided wins against the league’s cannon fodder who don’t even want to compete against you mean you’re actually one the great sides and we ignore all this stuff?

All shaping up to win it against United. :drool:
:D

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Funny how things work, from being heralded as the best team in PL history, they're now just another very good team who won the PL. Obviously they'll still have a cracking season but all of it is very anti climatic.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Funny how things work, from being heralded as the best team in PL history, they're now just another very good team who won the PL. Obviously they'll still have a cracking season but all of it is very anti climatic.
I think we’ll beat them on Tuesday and that they’ll get done by Spurs next week. It looks similar to Chelsea’s title win from last season now.

They do play great football but there have been better sides in PL history.

KM

I think we’ll beat them on Tuesday and that they’ll get done by Spurs next week. It looks similar to Chelsea’s title win from last season now.

They looked mentally shot yesterday. Honestly their fans and players looked more gutted to lose yesterday than in Champions league match. It is actually unbelievable how small time they are?

Djemba-Djemba

Aye, I agree with all of that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A lot depends on how they react at Spurs.
They could still have the greatest EPL campaign of all time.
What's worrying for them is that they looked absolutely devastated at full time. They better brush it off quick.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
For the first time this season City find themselves under pressure, nothing serious (yet) but enough instill a modicum of doubt in their heads. Failure to overturn a 3-0 deficit against Liverpool midweek, then failing to get a result against a resurgent and in-form Spurs team shortly after, will at the very least be enough to dispell the notion that Pep's team of superstars are the greatest thing sinse sliced bread.

Such a poor run of form will certainly create a stir among the media, rumblings of a potential collapse will emerge and the pressure gauge will increase. With the seeds of doubt firmly sown, the players will begin to question themselves, squad harmony will be affected, heads will drop and their performances with it.

The league title isn't won just yet

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
For the first time this season City find themselves under pressure, nothing serious (yet) but enough instill a modicum of doubt in their heads. Failure to overturn a 3-0 deficit against Liverpool midweek, then failing to get a result against a resurgent and in-form Spurs team shortly after, will at the very least be enough to dispell the notion that Pep's team of superstars are the greatest thing sinse sliced bread.

Such a poor run of form will certainly create a stir among the media, rumblings of a potential collapse will emerge and the pressure gauge will increase. With the seeds of doubt firmly sown, the players will begin to question themselves, squad harmony will be affected, heads will drop and their performances with it.

:lol:
The title is done.

Andy_Cole

All in all the side will be remembered just as much as Chelsea 16/17, 14/15.

A very good side, but very forgettable.

Judas

Open to offers
I think a lot depends on what happens next season, they do the same again, then this'll be a team that really gets spoken about as one of the greats. But history suggests it'll be hard for them to replicate it.

el3mel

Don't do that to yourself. :(

The Firestarter

Even if they lose to spurs, they only need 6 points from 5 games, which include WH , Swansea and BHA. Whoever is starting to have funny thoughts , don't .For your own good.

Minimalist

They only have to win 4 of their last 6 to beat the PL points total and total win records. Could still potentially break the 103 goals scored record if they smash a couple teams at home.

They’ll (likely) have their day yet.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They looked mentally shot yesterday. Honestly their fans and players looked more gutted to lose yesterday than in Champions league match. It is actually unbelievable how small time they are?
They wanted that moment more than they want the Champions League I guess.

I think some of their fans made the mistake of assuming they’d win yesterday before a ball was kicked.

They should’ve known better, Mourinho loves to spoil a party like that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Don't do that to yourself. :(
The likelihood of City collapsing to the extent that they fail to win the title is roughly slim to none, but I'd like to think that our players will fight to the end regardless. Push them all the way to the finish line, make them earn their title with a little hard graft, rather than have it handed to them on a sliver platter. They have had it all to easy thus far.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I think some of their fans made the mistake of assuming they’d win yesterday before a ball was kicked.

They almost pulled it off too, but for a Pogba inspired comeback they would have.

KM

So did the club it seems

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Across the second half of the season you’ve been trying to trump City up as one of the great sides.

Curious to know how you’re feeling about it now.

Bottled it against Liverpool in first leg of the Champions League QF, barely laying a glove on them. And as funny as it would be if you turned it around, it’s not happening. A great side should at least be competitive in Europe no, especially against a side 20 points behind them in the league?

Bottled it at home for a moment of history to win the league in a derby. In the process losing an unbeaten home record which quite a few league winners have acheived. Full unbeaten record has obviously been off the cards since your first humiliation at Anfield.

Bottled it against lower league opposition in the FA Cup, despite playing a strong team. So no chance of doing the real domestic double (again quite a few have achieved this) or real treble.

You’ve spent the GDP of a small country in unearned income.

So, were the claims premature and unjustified, or will a few more one-sided wins against the league’s cannon fodder who don’t even want to compete against you mean you’re actually one the great sides and we ignore all this stuff?

:D
Interesting. We’ve just lost our 2nd game of the entire league campaign against the apparent 2nd best team in the league and you’re talking it up like a collapse of sorts. Not forgetting we actually dropped our best player this season, and rested both of our only strikers, to give you an idea of where the manager felt the priorities currently lie... You were just another game to the manager and players.

We should remember that the league is done and dusted. It has been for weeks. The damage is done because the team has been absolutely miles ahead of anybody else. We could go and lose at Wembley next week and it changes nothing. So I disagree with your sentiment about the game yesterday. Any team that makes the league a non-event from 10+ games out is by default a great side in this league.

Agreed that Liverpool was our worst performance of the season and genuine questions can be asked about the squads ability to cope with that kind of atmosphere. Let’s finish to tie first. It does highlight that the squad still has improvements to make, but its refinement that’s required, not transformation. If Liverpool go through have they had a better season than City just because they won in the QF? Perspective is always needed.

This squad could well go on to be the greatest the PL has seen. They’ve put a marker down this season, if they run away with it next season what do you say then? What about another? They’ve got the chance to dominate and they’re on the right path. However you look at this season it goes in their favour, let’s wait and see what happens.

You’ve assessed a full season and managed to pick out 3 games, one of which we’ve established wasn’t even a priority for the manager, so that tells you everything about the squad this season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They might not even break Chelsea's record of 95 points. It doesn't help that Spurs away is their next match.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Interesting. We’ve just lost our 2nd game of the entire league campaign against the apparent 2nd best team in the league and you’re talking it up like a collapse of sorts. Not forgetting we actually dropped our best player this season, and rested both of our only strikers, to give you an idea of where the manager felt the priorities currently lie... You were just another game to the manager and players.

We should remember that the league is done and dusted. It has been for weeks. The damage is done because the team has been absolutely miles ahead of anybody else. We could go and lose at Wembley next week and it changes nothing. So I disagree with your sentiment about the game yesterday. Any team that makes the league a non-event from 10+ games out is by default a great side in this league.

Agreed that Liverpool was our worst performance of the season and genuine questions can be asked about the squads ability to cope with that kind of atmosphere. Let’s finish to tie first. It does highlight that the squad still has improvements to make, but its refinement that’s required, not transformation. If Liverpool go through have they had a better season than City just because they won in the QF? Perspective is always needed.

This squad could well go on to be the greatest the PL has seen. They’ve put a marker down this season, if they run away with it next season what do you say then? What about another? They’ve got the chance to dominate and they’re on the right path. However you look at this season it goes in their favour, let’s wait and see what happens.

You’ve assessed a full season and managed to pick out 3 games, one of which we’ve established wasn’t even a priority for the manager, so that tells you everything about the squad this season.
Apparently you missed the point entirely, which was the suggestion that perhaps this City side are not quite so special after all, but merely another run-of-the-mill Premier League winning football team.

City haven't won the league yet.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Sterling's finishing reminded me of Mkhitaryan at home vs Real Madrid in 2014. Just awful.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

Great sides are at least competitive in Europe.

Great sides would close a potentially legendary moment like yesterday. Certainly didn’t seem like just another game to your players who were completely losing the plot towards the end. And certainly not to your despondent fans who stayed behind to cry enmasse.

Great sides don’t surrender meekly out of the main domestic cup to lower league opposition.

Great sides don’t get turned over at home.

No point talking about what they could go on to do. We’re talking about the here and now. You’d already self anointed yourself mid-season and it’s all looking a bit silly and premature.

The Abu Dhabi PR project almost certainly demands European success. Questions will be being asked behind the scenes.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Great sides are at least competitive in Europe.

Great sides would close a potentially legendary moment like yesterday. Certainly didn’t seem like just another game to your players who were completely losing the plot towards the end. And certainly not to your despondent fans who stayed behind to cry enmasse.

Great sides don’t surrender meekly out of the main domestic cup to lower league opposition.

Great sides don’t get turned over at home.

No point talking about what they could go on to do. We’re talking about the here and now. You’d already self anointed yourself mid-season and it’s all looking a bit silly and premature.

The Abu Dhabi PR project almost certainly demands European success. Questions will be being asked behind the scenes.
We are actually still in Europe, so “silly and premature” would fit nicely here.

Great sides don’t have a fit criteria other than to be successful and you’re being black and white; Chelsea 04/05 were a great side, but went out to Liverpool in the CL and dropped out the FA Cup early doors, Arsenal 03/04 were a great side, but did nothing on the other fronts. This City side is a great side, it notched together 18 wins in a row to set a new record, and is still on course to set a new points and goals scored record, playing the style of football few teams are capable of.

You’re getting carried away by 3 games because the sample fits your narrative, this City side is a great side, and it has every chance to be even better. I’m staggered if you think on the back of THIS season there will be questions and concerns behind the scenes, you’re talking about the wrong club.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Apparently you missed the point entirely, which was the suggestion that perhaps this City side are not quite so special after all, but merely another run-of-the-mill Premier League winning football team.

City haven't won the league yet.
Nah, they are in that category. Especially if they break goal scored/point records.

The 99 team is top for me, mind.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chelsea in 2005 did not exist in its own reality. That same team went on to win the league again next season. And I would say it is reasonable that them retaining the league is a large part of why they are rated so highly.

Winning the League and League cup, is not a season fit for one of the best teams ever. Either you must retain the league or also win the CL.

One further point that no-one seems to have made. This City team have basically faced a bunch of second tier teams. No one in the PL is in that top tier, and they have not faced a top tier team in the CL. Compare this to all the previous teams that are considered among the best and they have all had accomplished performances against the very best in world football.

Traub

Yeah they're a great team this season. However, they peaked too early IMO. I'm not sure if it's due to egos or lack of rotation (City fans, how has the rotation been?).

When it's all said and done, they've absolutely dominated the league this year. I think next season will be all about the Champions League for them - I'm actually expecting a much closer title race because of this.

Any news on a Pep extension?

Minimalist

They might not even break Chelsea's record of 95 points. It doesn't help that Spurs away is their next match.
Well they might not. But they only need 4 wins out of 6, while playing Swansea, Huddersfield and Brighton at home. West Ham and Southampton away won't be particularly difficult either.

Basically, they'd need to collapse (in the context of their season).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Only two clubs have retained the title during the PL era, those have to be considered great sides. Arsenal seem to get a pass on this account due to the fact they went the entire season unbeaten. This City side so far has yet to retain the title and hasn't gone unbeaten thus they can't be a great side... yet

Raru9

They surely miss the chance to win the PL in time record and against United, but still have that points record in hand.

People seems a bit nervous when called City the greatest side of the PL so far. I really don't know if that's true but i believe it must be one the greatest due to his good style of play and if they finally break that 95 points record.

Last edited by a moderator:

adexkola

Supports
Only two clubs have retained the title during the PL era, those have to be considered great sides. Arsenal seem to get a pass on this account due to the fact they went the entire season unbeaten. This City side so far has yet to retain the title and hasn't gone unbeaten thus they can't be a great side... yet
You can rate Chelsea's 04-05 season on it's own merits. You don't need to combine it with 2 more seasons to delay the conversation.

Handré1990

I think it’s a little disingenous to claim that this City team isn’t great, on the back of two bad results, and imo one poor game (Liverpool CL). The greatest though, far from it. The point someone made about not facing any other top class (internationally) teams in the league is also a little far-fetched, you can only beat what’s in front of you, and their consistency in doing that has been nothing short of incredible, and for me personally, a little scary.

adexkola

Supports
Were the Leicester side a great side?
They won the league. If winning the Premier League doesn't make a team great then maybe I'm using the term "great" wrong.

Now. Were they greater than the Invincibles? Or Chelsea in 2005? Or United in 2008? Those are legitimate questions.

Minimalist

Truth is, I don't think any of Arsenal's title wins are much better than each other. Just as dominant in 01-02 with the F.A. Cup won as well.

Finishing unbeaten was a nice record but hardly indicative of much.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Truth is, I don't think any of Arsenal's title wins are much better than each other. Just as dominant in 01-02 with the F.A. Cup won as well.

Finishing unbeaten was a nice record but hardly indicative of much.
I actually think 01/02 Arsenal were better than 03/04 season